Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 5th May 2014, 16:44   #226
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Weekend trip to Chikmagalur

So you did not eat the World's best "Benne Masale Dose" in Town Canteen in CKM?
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 21:50   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga.sid View Post
I am back from the drive. The roads are great and so was Swati delicacy. I am adding a pic so that future drivers find it useful.

Signing off with a picture of a ghat section "canteen" according to Google maps. The place had some good fresh lime soda.
Thanks for the road info. Is the second picture is swati delicacy? Where's it located?

Have you drove to places like Muthodi, Mullyanagiri, Bababudangiri, Kemmanugundi etc.? If yes, please share the road status.

Thanks.
JohnnyBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 00:10   #228
BHPian

Dear Fauji

Nope. Had no idea about it. Will do sometime in the future.

Dear JohnnyBoss,

The second is Swati delicacy. If I am right, its just before Yediyur when going from Bangalore to Hassan.

I didn't go to any of those places.

Best regards
Naga Sid
naga.sid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 00:45   #229

After carefully reading all the info on this invaluable site, we (me, wife, daughter) took a short holiday to Chickmagalur 2 weeks ago (16th to the 18th).

The first and most important thing is that we have a new car - sold the 8yr/80K km Honda City that I loved so much and bought a new Skoda Rapid automatic last December. This was the first long trip out of town and I was anxious to see how she performed on the highway.

Well, the roads are beautiful all the way (except for a few bad humps and some weirdly designed dividers on the Hassan-Belur road), and the car behaved superbly. The suspension is far far better than the 2005 Honda City that I had.. just soaks up the bumps.

I find the automatic drives excellently with a light foot. Also had a chance to use the tiptronic gears on the hills, they are a bit useful while coming downhill.

Most important the fuel efficiency -- in the city I get around 9km per litre, on this trip I got around 14.5 kmpl, driving at a steady 100 most of the way (the dashboard fuel efficiency meter shows something like 17 kmpl, but I calculated the actual kmpl based on how much gas I filled).

We stayed at the Woodway coffee estate/home-stay which is a few km out of Chickmagalur. The place is stunning, with a superb view of the mountains, and the beautiful coffee estates to walk around in. The owners (Sushmita and Shridev) are very gracious, helpful, warm people and they go out of the way to make you feel at home. Food etc is just normal "home" food. They also advice you on what is the best way you can spend your holiday - one of the things they suggested was to take a jeep trip up to the top of a nearby mountain and watch the sunset - and it was well worth the expense.

There are two strategically placed Coffee Days on the way to Chikmagalur - one makes a good stop for breakfast/bio on the up journey; the second makes a good stop for lunch/bio on the down journey.. The up journey coffee day's ladies toilets were pretty dirty though. You see, I have to plan every trip according to the toilets on the way, because I am traveling with two girls.

The drive was a relaxed 5.5 hours each way, including the breaks. All in all, it was a great short break from work.
PS: we also stopped and looked at the Belur temple. Very nice. A good tip is to carry a spare pair of socks with you that you can wear while seeing the temple, because the ground gets burning hot in the sun.

Last edited by aah78 : 30th May 2014 at 01:13. Reason: Post formatting changed to make it more readable.
mv4bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2014, 06:49   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mv4bhp View Post
PS: we also stopped and looked at the Belur temple. Very nice. A good tip is to carry a spare pair of socks with you that you can wear while seeing the temple, because the ground gets burning hot in the sun.

Did you also drive to the waterfalls or the tallest peak of Karnataka, Mullyangiri? Please share the drive experience of the places covered in chikmagalur.
pgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2014, 14:12   #231

We did not drive about much over there. The estate owners advised us that Mullayangiri would be awfully crowded on the weekend, and instead suggested a trip to another mountain closer by. Its called "Kavikallmatta". Its only accessible by Jeep - rough dirt roads with what looks like a 45 degree gradient in places... The jeep guy charged us 1200 bucks for the round trip, but I thought it well work the price. There's absolutely nothing up there but a forest guard house and a view point. But you can about a bit, and get a stunning view of the mountains and forests around. We were the only folks there that day, and watched the sun set and then returned. Theres also a lot of wild "jamoon" trees growing there, so if you like jamoons you can gorge yourself on those.
mv4bhp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 00:26   #232
BHPian

Hi Bhpians,

I am planning a trip to river tern lodge (JLR) in Lakkavalli, Bhadra this Friday.

Any route tips would greatly help.

Many thanks in advance,
figo_gpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 01:00   #233
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_gpb View Post
No major updates.

- Drive till Tumkur toll on NH4
- After the toll you will see an exit marked Shimoga.
- Get off the NH4 at that point. Thats the Tumkur bypass.
- Beyond Tumkur you join NH206. Bypass is a bit rough.
- On 206, drive beyond Tarikere.
- At about 3-4 km past Tarikere you should see a JLR exit to Lakkavalli. (On your left)
- Take that exit. The place is about 20km from this exit point.
- There is a CCD at Arsikere which you can break at
- Overall 206 is very good 2-lane road.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 16:45   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_gpb View Post
Hi Bhpians,

I am planning a trip to river tern lodge (JLR) in Lakkavalli, Bhadra this Friday.

Adding to what ampere said, Road conditions as on last month :

Bangalore to Tumkur : excellent on NH4 expressway

Tumkur - Tarikere : excellent on NH206, albeit a single-lane highway

Lakkavalli road leading to River tern lodge : broken and potholed in many places and a couple of unmarked speedbreakers too. There are a few villages and schools too, so expect a lot of pedestrian traffic in the daytime.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 21:07   #235
BHPian

Hows the road surface from lingadahalli cross till Ballavara on way to Kemmangudi?has the rains managed to damage the road?
srinivaspai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 07:09   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
No major updates.

- Drive till Tumkur toll on NH4
- After the toll you will see an exit marked Shimoga.
- Get off the NH4 at that point. Thats the Tumkur bypass.
- Beyond Tumkur you join NH206. Bypass is a bit rough.
- On 206, drive beyond Tarikere.
- At about 3-4 km past Tarikere you should see a JLR exit to Lakkavalli. (On your left)
- Take that exit. The place is about 20km from this exit point.
- There is a CCD at Arsikere which you can break at
- Overall 206 is very good 2-lane road.
Heading to JLR - River Tern Lodge for the Xmas break. Is this still the recommended route?

We'll be traveling with my 5-year old son. Any recommendations for breakfast on the way other than CCD, which is a bit far out?
BackInTheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 07:48   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Heading to JLR - River Tern Lodge for the Xmas break. Is this still the recommended route?

We'll be traveling with my 5-year old son. Any recommendations for breakfast on the way other than CCD, which is a bit far out?
I took this exact route 6 months ago, and barring the bypass at Tumkur, its a breeze and the roads were super all the way through.

There is a Kamath that comes to your left, forgot the exact location. It should come after bout 50-60 minutes after the NICE junction. Its adjacent to a huge HP petrol station.

JLR River Tern will be awesome - been there thrice. . Fantastic property and nice safari's too. Only issue with JLR is that we need to be eating at fixed times. Else, JRL is terrific. Am sure you will have a great time at River Tern. At a little extra money, the small water sports activities and the dip into those crystal clear waters can be heavenly. Enjoy yourself.
jkrishnakj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 08:37   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post

CCD is way far. You can drop into Swathi Delicacy on NH 48, near Kunigal.
It is about 60kms from Neelamangala toll (that is what G-Maps says).
It is on the opposite side of the road. Make a U-Turn after you spot the restaurant. It is crowded all the time.

PS: I haven't been there, but lots of people had suggested me to stop there for refreshments.

Weekend trip to Chikmagalur-swathi-delicacyjpg.jpg
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 08:56   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Why CCD for breakfast when Mayura is hardly a km ahead of this and serves proper south Indian breakfast.

Place has cleaner rest rooms as well.
paragsachania is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2014, 17:59   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
CCD is way far. You can drop into Swathi Delicacy on NH 48, near Kunigal.
It is about 60kms from Neelamangala toll (that is what G-Maps says).
It is on the opposite side of the road. Make a U-Turn after you spot the restaurant. It is crowded all the time.

PS: I haven't been there, but lots of people had suggested me to stop there for refreshments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Why CCD for breakfast when Mayura is hardly a km ahead of this and serves proper south Indian breakfast.

Place has cleaner rest rooms as well.
Thanks. But I was asking for options on NH4 (via Tumkur) given that is the recommended route. I see that these are on NH48
BackInTheFold is offline   Reply With Quote