Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 20th May 2010, 12:12   #46
Senior - BHPian

The best route would be via NH48 Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur. Good roads all the way.

Take the NICE road exit at Magadi road. Continue on Magadi-Kunigal-Bellur cross-Channarayapatna-Hassan

You have a few diversions between Kunigal & Bellur cross due to road widening work. After that it is the old highway (still in very good condition)

Last edited by addyhemmige : 20th May 2010 at 12:15.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 12:19   #47
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Addy.

I'll be starting around 6 in the morning. So the plan is to have breakfast and then tea on the way. Any places that you can suggest? I'll be traveling with family, including a one year old kid. So, it will be good if the halts have clean toilets as well.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 12:38   #48
Senior - BHPian

If you like Idlies, there is a small hotel in Kunigal. They serve lovely Thatte Idlies. But it is just a small shack and you don't have any toilets there.

After Kunigal, there is a Cafe Coffee Day (if you are interested) just before Bellur cross toll gate.

After Bellur Cross toll gate, to the left there is a Hotel Mayura. This is good and I guess you can stopover here.

If you like Kamats, there is a Kamat after Channarayapatna. But, personally, I would not recommend this place (I did not like it). There is another hotel called Athithi just before you get the Kamat. The place looked clean and good, but the quality of food was pathetic.

The final option would be Hassan city. But, I guess it will be late by the time you reach here (maybe around 9.30 am). If you want to stopover in Hassan, I'll suggest a couple of good places.
Old 20th May 2010, 13:39   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
If you like Idlies, there is a small hotel in Kunigal. They serve lovely Thatte Idlies. But it is just a small shack and you don't have any toilets there.

After Kunigal, there is a Cafe Coffee Day (if you are interested) just before Bellur cross toll gate.

After Bellur Cross toll gate, to the left there is a Hotel Mayura. This is good and I guess you can stopover here.

If you like Kamats, there is a Kamat after Channarayapatna. But, personally, I would not recommend this place (I did not like it). There is another hotel called Athithi just before you get the Kamat. The place looked clean and good, but the quality of food was pathetic.

The final option would be Hassan city. But, I guess it will be late by the time you reach here (maybe around 9.30 am). If you want to stopover in Hassan, I'll suggest a couple of good places.
Nice! I think i can plan to have breakfast at CCD and tea/coffee break at Hassan. And if we are running late or early, will refer to your list.

By the way, google maps is confusing me on the Magadi - Kunigal route. Where do i go after Magadi to reach Kunigal?
Old 20th May 2010, 14:18   #50
BHPian

@Amit:
Just follow the Magadi-Kunigal road. The deadend reaches the NH 48 near Indo-Danish Farm. If i am correct.
blackstallion76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 14:39   #51
BHPian

BLR-NICe-MAgadi-Kunigal-Hassan-Belur-CKM is the best as suggested by others !

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
If you like Kamats, there is a Kamat after Channarayapatna. But, personally, I would not recommend this place (I did not like it).
Do stay away from this Kamat, as I found the place quite unhygienic(the restaurant & loo's) as compared to the other Kamats !
s3va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 15:19   #52
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the tips guys!

This is going to be our first holiday trip ever since our daughter arrived in this world. So, we are really looking forward to it and hoping that all goes well!
Old 20th May 2010, 17:32   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Thanks for all the tips guys!

This is going to be our first holiday trip ever since our daughter arrived in this world. So, we are really looking forward to it and hoping that all goes well!
Do take umbrella and warm cloths . And also road work is going on in the Kunigal - Hassan stretch.

There are many sudden diversions. Avoid over speeding in this stretch.
kadri007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 23:29   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nice! I think i can plan to have breakfast at CCD and tea/coffee break at Hassan. And if we are running late or early, will refer to your list.

By the way, google maps is confusing me on the Magadi - Kunigal route. Where do i go after Magadi to reach Kunigal?
Take the NICE road exit to Magadi road. Turn right towards Magadi. There are not many signboards so just follow the good road. Magadi is approx 45 kms from NICE junction. Continue into Magadi town. At the end of the town you will find a junction and you need to take a right here. There is no confusion as there is a signboard indicating direction here.

After a few kms, you will get a fork. Take the left side of the fork. There is a board here too. It will lead to NH48. Take a left here. It is a straight road to Hassan from here. Magadi to Kunigal is 22 kms.

btw, There is one more Coffee Day next to the Kamat I mentioned earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstallion76 View Post
@Amit:
Just follow the Magadi-Kunigal road. The deadend reaches the NH 48 near Indo-Danish Farm. If i am correct.
Actually, it is the Indo-Spanish Tasty foods company. This will be the first landmark after you enter the NH48.

Last edited by addyhemmige : 20th May 2010 at 23:32.
Old 21st May 2010, 19:06   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
Do stay away from this Kamat, as I found the place quite unhygienic(the restaurant & loo's) as compared to the other Kamats !
Even I found it so. But in the country of the blind, one eyed man is the king! I had no choice and hence ended up there (I did not know of other places).

Also how deep one needs to go inside Hassan to get to CCD? Mostly one takes the bypass to hit to CKM.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 19:31   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Also how deep one needs to go inside Hassan to get to CCD? Mostly one takes the bypass to hit to CKM.
I'm not aware of Coffee Day in Hassan. But, there is one after ChannarayaPatna (approx 10kms); which is next to Kamat, there are sign-boards.

There are few small hotels in Channarayapatna, where you get nice iddli;s during mornings.
cdmanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 20:23   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmanju View Post
I'm not aware of Coffee Day in Hassan. But, there is one after ChannarayaPatna (approx 10kms); which is next to Kamat, there are sign-boards.

There are few small hotels in Channarayapatna, where you get nice iddli;s during mornings.
Hey thanks! I have not been there on that route for quite some time. Did not even know, when it sprang up. Thats a good option now.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 09:20   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There is no CCD in Hassan. There are CCDs in Bellur cross, near Kamat, Udayapura (after C R Patna) and in Chikmagalur.
Old 24th May 2010, 10:03   #59
Senior - BHPian

Got back from the trip yesterday.

The Magadi road is a dream to drive on, all the way till NH 48. Its a two lane highway, without potholes and smooth curves and very little traffic. Except in the evening, when i encountered a lot of two wheelers driving back to Bangalore. The Kunigal - Hassan stretch gave me an indication of what i had avoided by taking this route.
The Hassan - Belur stretch is also very nice. Just be on the lookout for a median to pop up specially on a curve. You may go into a curve hot only to find yourself heading straight for the median!!

On the way back, we stopped at Halebid temple. Our hosts in CKM had informed us that there is a road that goes straight from Halebid to Hassan, so you dont need to drive 11 kms back to Belur. I took this road but its wide enough for one vehicle only, with very steep edges. If you are not good at playing chicken, stay away from this road and drive the 11 kms back to Belur.

Also, the GPS was totally at sea on the state highways. Many times it showed that i was driving where there was no road!! Disappointing.

Thanks for the tips Addy, Kadri, Seva, BlackStallion

Last edited by amitoj : 24th May 2010 at 10:05.
Old 24th May 2010, 11:02   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got back from the trip yesterday.

The Magadi road is a dream to drive on, all the way till NH 48. Its a two lane highway, without potholes and smooth curves and very little traffic. Except in the evening, when i encountered a lot of two wheelers driving back to Bangalore. The Kunigal - Hassan stretch gave me an indication of what i had avoided by taking this route.
The Hassan - Belur stretch is also very nice. Just be on the lookout for a median to pop up specially on a curve. You may go into a curve hot only to find yourself heading straight for the median!!

On the way back, we stopped at Halebid temple. Our hosts in CKM had informed us that there is a road that goes straight from Halebid to Hassan, so you dont need to drive 11 kms back to Belur. I took this road but its wide enough for one vehicle only, with very steep edges. If you are not good at playing chicken, stay away from this road and drive the 11 kms back to Belur.

Also, the GPS was totally at sea on the state highways. Many times it showed that i was driving where there was no road!! Disappointing.

Thanks for the tips Addy, Kadri, Seva, BlackStallion
Glad to be of help.

The Hassan-Belur road is one of the best roads in the state except for those unscientific curves & medians. The Halebid-Hassan road too was one of the better roads earlier. This road was being used as an alternative to the Hassan-Belur road which was in a pathetic state at that time. Only the lack of maintenance has done in this road now. At some places the shoulders of the road have become pretty jagged and are uneven. I would not recommend any car with low ground clearance. This is a more scenic road than the Hassan-Belur stretch though.