Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2010, 13:34   #91
BHPian
 
carfanatic007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 207
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Thanks Khoj & ampere. I thought it could be some kind of metal ore, given its proximity to Kemmangundi, where they used to extract Iron ore. The whole hill side is made up of this type of stones. Mullayyanagiri, Bababudangiri and Kemmangundi all come in the same hill range and hence could be made up of similar type of soil. I'm no expert either
Hey everyone,

i was planning a trip to Chikamagalur this weekend so please update me on three things:

1) I live in Bangalore east so the best route to reach there
2) How many km is the drive hilly? I am asking as my car is in run-in period and going over steep hills for long durations won't be good for the car
3) Is it safe to go there considering the landslides? Should the trip be postponed?
carfanatic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2010, 14:28   #92
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,243
Thanked: 10,497 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Hey everyone,

i was planning a trip to Chikamagalur this weekend so please update me on three things:

1) I live in Bangalore east so the best route to reach there

Take the Nelemangala Road.
2) How many km is the drive hilly? I am asking as my car is in run-in period
and going over steep hills for long durations won't be good for the car

Drive all the way till CKM is not hillyand the roads are good. It is only the road to Mulayanagiri and Kemmanugundi which are hilly. Addy can give you latest details as there were landslides reported by him towards Kemmanugundi. Mulayanagiri should be fine.
Also, during Run in period it is better to avoid driving on lower gears (Higher RPM) for longer time which is likely to be the case when you are climbing up and also when coming down using engine braking.

3) Is it safe to go there considering the landslides? Should the trip be postponed?
Addy, you can answer the last one.

Last edited by paragsachania : 9th September 2010 at 14:32.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 09:53   #93
Senior - BHPian
 
wildon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,405
Thanked: 1,040 Times
Default

Guys Yesterday midnight reached Chikmagalur . The Nelemagala road is pathetic with lot of construction work. I have seen 2 toppling of Lorries yesterday night before i reach Chikmagalur on which one took 45 min to clear the road and there was traffic jam.

How is the Tumkur road option ? is good if so i ll come back via that route.

Now i'm in chikmagalur and have 2 days to spend here, Any update of Kemmanugudi route.?
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 10:51   #94
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 4,243
Thanked: 10,497 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Guys Yesterday midnight reached Chikmagalur . The Nelemagala road is pathetic with lot of construction work. I have seen 2 toppling of Lorries yesterday night before i reach Chikmagalur on which one took 45 min to clear the road...
Before you reached CKM? So, where was this Jam? The Nelemangala stretch from Bangalore road side is almost done and construction exists between Nelemangala Junction till Bellur Cross. Please highlight.
Also, If its that bad, you can opt for Magadi Road way back after Kunigal town on the same road you took.
paragsachania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 11:19   #95
BHPian
 
carfanatic007's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 207
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Before you reached CKM? So, where was this Jam? The Nelemangala stretch from Bangalore road side is almost done and construction exists between Nelemangala Junction till Bellur Cross. Please highlight.
Also, If its that bad, you can opt for Magadi Road way back after Kunigal town on the same road you took.
Thanks for the help Parag
carfanatic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 11:49   #96
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Guys Yesterday midnight reached Chikmagalur . The Nelemagala road is pathetic with lot of construction work. I have seen 2 toppling of Lorries yesterday night before i reach Chikmagalur on which one took 45 min to clear the road and there was traffic jam.

How is the Tumkur road option ? is good if so i ll come back via that route.

Now i'm in chikmagalur and have 2 days to spend here, Any update of Kemmanugudi route.?
I have not been on the Tumkur route to Chikmagalur. Last I heard, the Kadur-Chikmagalur road (Tumkur route) was in bad condition. So better take the Belur-Hassan-Magadi-Blr route. Except for a few kms near Kunigal and 3 kms in Magadi town, the rest of the route is good.

The Kemmangundi route is good for the first 20 kms. After that it is pathetic. The landslide has been partly cleared and open for LMV traffic. There are a few minor landslides by the roadside, but no problem. But, the road is in a very bad condition.

For Mullayyanagiri, the road is good all the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfanatic007 View Post
Hey everyone,

i was planning a trip to Chikamagalur this weekend so please update me on three things:

1) I live in Bangalore east so the best route to reach there
2) How many km is the drive hilly? I am asking as my car is in run-in period and going over steep hills for long durations won't be good for the car
3) Is it safe to go there considering the landslides? Should the trip be postponed?
1. You can take the ORR from Bangalore East and join NH 4. Take left at Nelamangala junction. The route is Kunigal-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur.

2. It depends on where in Chikmagalur you want to go. Chikmagalur town, is just at the base of the hills, so no hill climbing required. You can go to Mullayyanagiri, Bababudangiri and Kemmangundi for a day trip. This route is not very steep as such, but it is your call. The route is steep for the last few kms to Mullayyanagiri. I've mentioned the road conditions above.

3. If you ask me, this is the best time to visit these places. There was only one major landslide and that has been partially cleared, so I don't think there is no problem. So, please go ahead.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2010, 12:52   #97
Senior - BHPian
 
wildon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,405
Thanked: 1,040 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Before you reached CKM?
Just mentioned my destination thats all

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So, where was this Jam? The Nelemangala stretch from Bangalore road side is almost done and construction exists between Nelemangala Junction till Bellur Cross. Please highlight.
Also, If its that bad, you can opt for Magadi Road way back after Kunigal town on the same road you took.
The Jam Happend due to the toppling of a container lorry 9 K.M before Hassan.

There was long stretch of Vehicles due to that as both ways were blocked to clear the mess. The back wheel assembly came out from the lorry , may be due to excess weight !

The Nelmangala Jn to Bellur road work is going one all the junctions you can see full of potholes. I dont why some already done good stretches are still blocked for traffic movement.
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 17:27   #98
Senior - BHPian
 
wildon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,405
Thanked: 1,040 Times
Default

Update:-

Came back via Tumkur Route. Man i'm fall in love with this scenic route.

Chikmagalur > Drive Till Sakkare Patna Check post then turn right (No need to go till Kadur) > Banavara > Arsikere > Tiptur > K B Cross > Gubbi > Tumkur > Nelamangala > Bangalore

With 4 Breaks and a speed of 85 kmph max (Most of the time it was under 80) I reached Nelamangala junction in 5 hrs sharp.

The road from Chikmagalur till Sakkare Patana is old concrete road with cracks. From Sakkare Patana the initial 10 k.m is not good but after that its getting better and better. Roads are single line but little traffic movements.

Its advisable to drive this route in morning light as getting help here is not easy.

Here is the google link of that route:

Chikmagalur, Karnataka 577101 to Channasandra Main Rd, HRBR Layout Kalyan Nagar 1 Block, Banasawadi, Bengaluru, Karnataka - Google Maps
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 19:18   #99
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,595
Thanked: 8,569 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Update:-

Came back via Tumkur Route. Man i'm fall in love with this scenic route.

Chikmagalur > Drive Till Sakkare Patna Check post then turn right (No need to go till Kadur) > Banavara > Arsikere > Tiptur > K B Cross > Gubbi > Tumkur > Nelamangala > Bangalore

With 4 Breaks and a speed of 85 kmph max (Most of the time it was under 80) I reached Nelamangala junction in 5 hrs sharp.

The road from Chikmagalur till Sakkare Patana is old concrete road with cracks. From Sakkare Patana the initial 10 k.m is not good but after that its getting better and better. Roads are single line but little traffic movements.

So did I return two hours back! But by the regular NH48/Magadi. Took Five and a half hours door to door.

By the way did you visit Ayannakere at Sakkarepatna? I Drove on the Kadur road to the lake on Friday evening and came back to Chikkamagulur. It started raining on the way back and and I must say it was beautiful!


One small caution:

Between Kunigal and Magadi, some villagers put a wooden barricade (log of wood on the road) and were demanding money for "Ganesh Chaturthi" by forcing vehicles to stop. I did not want to take any chance and kept on driving. They banged at the window, and it almost felt like it would crack!

Please be cautious on that stretch with such hooligans waiting to pounce for money.

Over all route was decent with some discomfort crossing Magadi, some diversions for 4L work and some potholed NH48 in and around Kunigal.

Hassan-Belur-CKM is very good with Hassan-Belur being a belter.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 10:53   #100
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 197
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

any updates on the route? im starting tomorrow morning from BG road to CKM.
Also will it be heavy rain in CKM now?
rajesh1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 11:12   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,702
Thanked: 324 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
any updates on the route? im starting tomorrow morning from BG road to CKM.
Also will it be heavy rain in CKM now?
Route is good all the way till CKM, as the road is getting widened, at some places you need to take deviations.
Weather as of now, it's raining .

Last edited by sushrutha : 4th November 2010 at 11:19.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2010, 13:00   #102
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 197
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

Thanks for the update Susrutha
rajesh1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 11:36   #103
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Weekend trip to Chikmagalur

Planning to do a Shravanabelagola-Belur-Halebidu-Chikmagalur trip during the Christmas weekend. My current plans are as follows:
Marathahalli-Outer Ring Road - NH4 - Nelamangala-NH 48 - Shravanabelagola

Then, Channarayapatna - Bagur - Haranhalli - Javagal - Halebidu

Planning a night halt at Hassan. Then Belur - Chikmagalur for the next day and night halt at Chikmagalur. Haven't planned much for Chikmagalur yet , but plan to be in Bangalore by night fall on the 3rd day.

Now my queries :
1. Is the route that i have planned the best one or are there better alternatives?
2. How is the road condition along this route ?
3. Which is the best place to stay in Hassan and Chikmagalur for a budget traveller ? Need good parking facility and a bed to sleep. I am thinking of something in the range of 1000-1500 Rs per night. Also, would be great if i could book in advance with confirmed availability.
4. What are things that i can cover in Chikmagalur in the planned timeline ? I am thinking of avoiding Mullayyangiri as I am a new driver and don't want to risk driving steep gradients too much.

Would really appreciate any suggestions.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 12:49   #104
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default Re: Weekend trip to Chikmagalur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Planning to do a Shravanabelagola-Belur-Halebidu-Chikmagalur trip during the Christmas weekend. My current plans are as follows:
Marathahalli-Outer Ring Road - NH4 - Nelamangala-NH 48 - Shravanabelagola

Then, Channarayapatna - Bagur - Haranhalli - Javagal - Halebidu

Planning a night halt at Hassan. Then Belur - Chikmagalur for the next day and night halt at Chikmagalur. Haven't planned much for Chikmagalur yet , but plan to be in Bangalore by night fall on the 3rd day.

Now my queries :
1. Is the route that i have planned the best one or are there better alternatives?
2. How is the road condition along this route ?
3. Which is the best place to stay in Hassan and Chikmagalur for a budget traveller ? Need good parking facility and a bed to sleep. I am thinking of something in the range of 1000-1500 Rs per night. Also, would be great if i could book in advance with confirmed availability.
4. What are things that i can cover in Chikmagalur in the planned timeline ? I am thinking of avoiding Mullayyangiri as I am a new driver and don't want to risk driving steep gradients too much.

Would really appreciate any suggestions.
Is there any reason you want to go Halebid via Haranahalli and Javagal? If you are just quoting from Google maps, I'd suggest you not to take this route.

Instead take the route via Hassan. After Shravanabelagola, you can probably visit both Belur and Halebid and stay at Chikmagalur.

Try this itinerary.

Leave Bangalore early (around 5), have breakfast on the way and reach Shravanabelagola by 8 max. The route you have mentioned is good. Reach Hassan by lunch time. Take the route Shravanabelagola-Channarayapatna-Hassan. Have lunch on Hassan and leave for Halebid. In case you reach Hassan late, then you can opt to stay the night there.

Halebid is 30 kms from Hassan and the road condition is not too good. It may take you an hour depending on the route. The shortest route is Hassan-Salagame-Adagur-Halebid. Another route is Hassan-Belur road-Hagare-Halebid. It has been a few months before I travelled on these routes, so I am not aware of the road conditions now.

From Halebid, Belur is 15 kms away. If you can finish Halebid early, you can finish Belur too on the same day and head for a night stay in Chikmagalur.

Hotels in Hassan: Hotel Sri Krishna, Hotel Suvarna Regency - Both these hotels are on the main BM road and will fit in your budget.

Hotel in Chikmagalur: The Planter's Court - I've no idea about the tariff, but this is a nice place. There are other basic lodges on the bus stand road (IG road).

Driving to Mullayanagiri should not be a problem provided you are confident about your driving. Anyways, after Chikmagalur, you will have to travel in ghat roads anywhere you go. So, you have to be prepared.

Places around Chikmagalur (for a day's drive):

Mullayanagiri, Bababudangiri, Kemmangundi, Muthodi (Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary), Hirekolale lake
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 13:23   #105
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 655
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Weekend trip to Chikmagalur

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Is there any reason you want to go Halebid via Haranahalli and Javagal? If you are just quoting from Google maps, I'd suggest you not to take this route.
Instead take the route via Hassan. After Shravanabelagola, you can probably visit both Belur and Halebid and stay at Chikmagalur.
Yeah, I was just quoting from Google maps and i did have my doubts about this route. Thanks for clarifying this . I was planning to spend a lot of time at both Belur and Halebid, so I originally planned them to be on separate days. Seems like i can finish them both on the same day and end up in Chikmagalur ( I don't want to do any night driving though, I hate it with all the high beam lights glaring at you ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Halebid is 30 kms from Hassan and the road condition is not too good. It may take you an hour depending on the route. The shortest route is Hassan-Salagame-Adagur-Halebid. Another route is Hassan-Belur road-Hagare-Halebid. It has been a few months before I travelled on these routes, so I am not aware of the road conditions now.
Is it better to first visit Belur from Hassan and then go to Halebid from Belur? Is this route any better than the other route ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Hotel in Chikmagalur: The Planter's Court - I've no idea about the tariff, but this is a nice place. There are other basic lodges on the bus stand road (IG road).
Thanks. I think Planter's Court is already completely booked for Christmas. Are there any places similar to this around Chikmagalur ( in the same budget ) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Driving to Mullayanagiri should not be a problem provided you are confident about your driving. Anyways, after Chikmagalur, you will have to travel in ghat roads anywhere you go. So, you have to be prepared.
Places around Chikmagalur (for a day's drive):
Mullayanagiri, Bababudangiri, Kemmangundi, Muthodi (Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary), Hirekolale lake
I would like to believe that I am a good driver but it would be the first time i would be driving on Ghat roads, so I would like to take things slow by driving on the easier ghat roads first. And i got scared looking at the pics of the drive to Mullayanagiri in another thread, so i don't want to take the risk as yet . I will definitely visit the other places you have mentioned though.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weekend Travelogue: Bangalore-Chikmagalur-Sringeri-Agumbe-Shravanabelagola-Bangalore kirantp Travelogues 47 9th September 2016 19:35
Weekend getaway to Chikmagalur and Mullayanagiri 4 cars, 5 families and loads of fun! arun_josie Travelogues 12 18th August 2016 09:10
Touching the skies: A winter weekend at Chikmagalur KarthikK Travelogues 20 1st December 2013 15:09
Weekend trip to Chikmagalur teknicsand Travelogues 10 25th April 2011 11:33
A long weekend trip to Chikmagalur and Belur Samurai Travelogues 24 20th January 2008 11:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:08.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks