Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 14th December 2010, 15:22   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Weekend trip to Chikmagalur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Yeah, I was just quoting from Google maps and i did have my doubts about this route. Thanks for clarifying this . I was planning to spend a lot of time at both Belur and Halebid, so I originally planned them to be on separate days. Seems like i can finish them both on the same day and end up in Chikmagalur ( I don't want to do any night driving though, I hate it with all the high beam lights glaring at you ).
If you are planning to spend a lot of time at Shravanabelagola, Belur and Halebid, then it will be tough to do it in one day. Try to club Belur and Halebid together as they are very close to each other. Returning to Hassan just for the sake of sleeping does not make sense.

Belur to Chikmagalur is hardly 25 kms and traffic will be relatively low. So, driving should not be a problem (even at night).

Quote:
Is it better to first visit Belur from Hassan and then go to Halebid from Belur? Is this route any better than the other route ?
The road from Hassan to Belur is one of the best roads in the state. Belur-Halebid road is also in decent shape. So you can try this route. Hassan-Belur (visit temple)-Halebid-Belur-Chikmagalur.

Quote:
Thanks. I think Planter's Court is already completely booked for Christmas. Are there any places similar to this around Chikmagalur ( in the same budget ) ?
AFAIK, there is no similar accommodation in CKM. The next level of accommodation would be the the Taj.

There are a few basic lodges on IG road. laluks had once stayed in Hotel Rajmahal on IG road. You can enquire with him for more details.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post1552280 (Swifted : Bisle, Belur, Halebid, Chikmagalur, Kemmangundi)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...tml#post599335 (Bangalore -- Chikmaglur Trip)

Quote:
I would like to believe that I am a good driver but it would be the first time i would be driving on Ghat roads, so I would like to take things slow by driving on the easier ghat roads first. And i got scared looking at the pics of the drive to Mullayanagiri in another thread, so i don't want to take the risk as yet . I will definitely visit the other places you have mentioned though.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Its not that scary as it looks. But, yes you will have to be careful. The scary part is a very small stretch.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 16:38   #107
BHPian

Thanks again for all the details.
I have just noticed that KSTDC operates 2 hotels at Belur and Halebidu. Are these any good? I have noticed that the prices are very cheap and the rooms are available for the particular days that i am interested in. But like all government sites, there are not many details provided about the hotels.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 17:13   #108
Team-BHP Support

I would say Taj inspite of being costly, is a very nice place to put up and stay is enjoyable.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 10:23   #109
Senior - BHPian

Some decent hotels in CKM are
Planter's court, Hotel Rajamahal, Hotel Soundarya, Aishwarya.
Planter's court tariff is around 1000rs/day.
Taj Garden retreat - Around 5K/day
The serai - Starts from 12K/day
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 12:07   #110
Team-BHP Support

Garden Retreat is now called Gateway. Brand Name Change for Taj.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 13:30   #111
BHPian

I have found a hotel called Hotel Benaka in CKM and am getting a non AC deluxe room for 1293/- for 2 nights. They said they do have parking facility. Has anyone been to this place ever ?
Old 21st December 2010, 11:40   #112

Had been to Chikmagalur with family on Dec 10 and returned on the 13th, covering Belur, Halebeedu, CKM, in our Innova. Thanks very much to Addy, Sushrutha, Ampere, Paragaschina and all for their excellent guidance on the route directions.

BLR-Nice Road-MAGADI:
We started at 6pm from home at Banashankari II stage. Entered the Nice Entry at BSK III Stage only to find the road leading to a dead end. After getting directions from some active morning walkers, went back towards the toll gate. Rs.62/- is the toll to Magadi exit. The directions are very clear. Headed for Magadi exit with average speed of 100-110km. Took the right at Magadi exit, this road which goes via Tippagondannahalli is very good. Average speed maintained on this road was around 90km.

Then comes the bone rattler. The roads in Magadi town are pathetic, you find only potholes and craters. At the end of the town, at a junction, there is a direction board to Kunigal.

MAGADI-KUNIGAL-NH48-HASSAN:
This road is better. Keep towards left, this leads to NH48. At the dead end lead, take left turn, the landmark is the Indo-Spanish Tasty Foods building on the right of the high way. Except for a few deviations here and there, due to the ongoing road work, this road is very good. Did a top speed of 130km on the NH.

Next land mark was the narrow pathway and lo and behold, there was this ‘illegal’ toll booth at Bellur Cross (Rs.5/ toll). After this, there is a Mayura Hotel on the left of the road. Reached the hotel at 8:15AM, for breakfast and coffee break. The hotel ambience and the staff are good and courteous. Importantly, the toilets were clean. The breakfast was good, we had hot idli vada and Masala Dosa and coffee. The total bill was Rs. 240 for 4 persons. Started at 8:45AM and continued to Hassan.

HASSAN-BELUR:
On reaching Hassan, it was here that I completely missed the Hassan Diary landmark which Addy had mentioned. Instead of driving straight on the Hassan Ring Road, I took left and entered Hassan City, oh Deva! And it was time for another round of bone rattling. The roads in Hassan city were pathetic, I could find potholes and craters and only potholes and craters. We guessed, this could be because of the war and politics as this abode belonged to the one and only DG and Sons!!

The traffic was crawling on the roads, asked direction for Belur and finally reached a fork with the name board “Tanniruhalla”, took the road bearing right, the Hassan-Belur Road.
This road is good, except for the surface being scraped at a few places. There was very less traffic on this road, may be because it was a working day – Friday. Reached Belur, visited the temple (more on this in my upcoming travelogue).

BELUR-CKM:
Continued on to Chikmagalur, which was around 26km. This road is good, again, except for a few places where the surface is rough and scrapped out. There is also an incomplete flyover as you reach towards CKM. There is a deviation and again this deviation is untarred and only stone-road

Reached Taj Gatway at around 1:45pm, our final destination.

MULLAYANAGIRI:

The roads in CKM were again not good, we could see the road leading from AIT college towards MG Road, was in a bad condition, with repairs going on. However, once passing the Mountain View college, the road started getting better. We were told that we would have to park the car at Sheetalagiri and treak up to the summit on Mullayanagiri. This was not true, you can drive up further for a few km.
I drove my Innova up, but note that there are absolutely no traffic signages on the way – whether to indicate the hairpins or the road ahead. Nee to be very careful, the last 2-3 km, the road is very narrow, hardly 20ft wide and on both the sides, it slopes down. Not enough width to hold two vehicles.

The day I was driving, luckily, there were no oncoming vehicles except a an Indica, while driving back, but otherwise, in the absence of any additional support, it can be very tricky and risky, if another Innova or another big vehicle supposedly came down the other way. It surely was very exciting and adventurous to drive and would surely test the skill and confidence of the driver. I felt some additional support on both the sides of the road-shoulders is a must. During the holiday season, I was told that the traffic is bumper to bumper. It is really hard to imagine maneuvering in such traffic.

To reach the summit, one has to climb around 500 steps, and its worth it. All vehicles need to stop and the next important aspect was the parking. Here again, there are absolutely no parking signs. The narrow road slightly widens and there is a small space towards the right (which is nothing but a flat head of the hill) it is here that many drivers park the vehicles. However, if you continue to drive on the road, the road goes down and there is a better parking space - though small, but better than the one mentioned above, towards the left. However, in the absence of any indicators, most drivers including me, did not park there. I found that only one Qualis parked!!. The presence of propoer signages would really help matters and improve the safety of one and all

CKM-HALEBEEDU:
From CKM, drove on the Belur Road and there is sign indicating ‘Halebeedu’. From CKM, you would need to take a left on this signboard. This road to Halebeedu is good except for few potholes on the way. I started on Dec 13 – Monday morning, the road is scenic and without any traffic

HALEBEEDU-HASSAN:
Addy had mentioned about the Salgame Road to reach Hassan. On enquiring with the locals, I was informed that it was better to take the Hagare road as this had less potholes. The Salgame road had gone worse, I was told.
Decided to take the Hagare road and I guess, had made the right decision. This road is ok with a few potholes and rough surface on the way. With abosolutely no traffic, I hit the CKM-Hassan SH in less than 20 min.

FOOD:
Would vouch for the Hotel Mayura near Bellur Cross, though we had only breakfast here. The hotel ambience is good, the toilets clean and the staff were courteous.

While coming back, we had food at the Kamat Upachar just before CR Patna. Though various posts advised to avoid this hotel, I could not help as I landed up there at lunch time – around 1:15pm and with two hungry daughters, I had to stop. Given a choice, I would have opted for the Mayura Hotel near Bellur Cross.

The food was hot and okay. The ladies toilet was better I was told. As for Gents, one has to walk to the other end of the hotel to relieve.

Overall the trip distance was –
Home to CKM (Taj Gateway) – 268.6km
CKM (local) – 55.10
CKM-Home – 272.5
Total trip distance covered is 596.20km

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st December 2010 at 11:54. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy pasting from external font editors. Also do a Preview before posting. Thanks
kkrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 10:33   #113
Senior - BHPian

Nice and brief report KKRN. Pics of the trip would be much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrn View Post
MULLAYANAGIRI:

To reach the summit, one has to climb around 500 steps, and its worth it. All vehicles need to stop and the next important aspect was the parking.
To be precise, it's around 450 steps.
I had been there last weekend too, the road is very amazing in deed except for some landslides.
Old 23rd December 2010, 15:34   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrn View Post

Next land mark was the narrow pathway and lo and behold, there was this ‘illegal’ toll booth at Bellur Cross (Rs.5/ toll).
Was not knowing this toll booth is illegal. It is day light robbery and can't believe that no one has stopped this. I went to Hassan after a gap of about 5yrs, in Oct and was surprised to see that the toll booth still existed and it seem to be there for a very long time. Thought it would go due to road widening.

Quote:
We were told that we would have to park the car at Sheetalagiri and treak up to the summit on Mullayanagiri.
Isn't this SeethalayyanGiri (spare the spelling)? Sheetalagiri also sounds apt, but just checking having grown-up thinking that this place is called SeethalayyanGiri.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2010, 10:16   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Was not knowing this toll booth is illegal. It is day light robbery and can't believe that no one has stopped this. I went to Hassan after a gap of about 5yrs, in Oct and was surprised to see that the toll booth still existed and it seem to be there for a very long time. Thought it would go due to road widening.
It's indeed an illegal toll both. Most of the time, I just make sure I don't pay the toll fees over there.
Thank god this illegal toll's days are counted, no more toll once the road widening is finished(hope it finishes in another 1-2 months)

Quote:
Isn't this SeethalayyanGiri (spare the spelling)? Sheetalagiri also sounds apt, but just checking having grown-up thinking that this place is called SeethalayyanGiri.
You are right Prasad , it is Seethalayyangiri or seethalaiangiri.
Old 27th December 2010, 08:50   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post

Prasad
You are right, it is Seethalayyangiri.

The illegal toll is just that. I also noticed that a few of the mini lorries, and couple of cars just passed thru. Could be there were residents of that place. But anyway, once the road works are complete, this booth should go away, as Sushrutha also has pointed out.
kkrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 12:55   #117
BHPian

Did this trip over the weekend. Will post a detailed travelogue and pics later. For now, the update :
Took the Nice- Nelamangala-Kunigal-Hassan-Belur-Chikmagalur both ways. Was planning to take the Tumkur route while returning but ended up returning on the same route.

Road work is still continuing on the Kunigal-Nelamangala route but the road is good and you can maintain decent speed all the way. Watch out for vehicles coming on the wrong side of the road though ( mostly due to the road work, but also due to our indian habits ) .

With the Tollway opened between Nelamangala and Yeswanthpur, the road is a pleasure to drive. But the traffic is quite heavy since a lot of people use the tollway. But since everyone is driving at a good pace, there is no delay anyway. While entering the tollway from Nice, there was only one tollbooth opened and it took us a long time there. I thought that we would have reached nelamangala in the time that we waited at the toll both ( it was that bad ).
On our way back, we missed the NICE exit because the board was for Mysore Road, and had to take a U turn after a few kms.

I took the Hassan Bypass and the road was pathetic as told by everyone. However, the stretch is very small ( around 1 km ) and i think it is better to take this route instead of going through Hassan.

The road from Hassan to Belur is excellent. However, slower vehicles might slow you down a lot unless you take a few risks ( due to the road being only 2 lane and having a lot of curves ).

The roads inside Chikmagalur are narrow but ok. However, watch out for incoming vehicles from all directions. And if you see an Autorikshaw coming beside you or from the opposite side, make sure you are far away from him coz they don't stop for anything and consider even 5 cms to be a gap wide enough to squeeze their auto through.

The road to Bababudangiri was good initially, but the road got narrow and bad from around halfway ( but there seem to be some road work going on in this stretch ). There seemed to some very recent landslides on this stretch.

The road to Muthodi was very good initially and was decent for most of the way except for a few kms in between.
Old 27th December 2010, 16:50   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took the Hassan Bypass and the road was pathetic as told by everyone. However, the stretch is very small ( around 1 km ) and i think it is better to take this route instead of going through Hassan.
Actually, the bypass itself is very good (except for a couple of potholes), the pathetic stretch is the road connecting the bypass to Belur road

Quote:
The road to Bababudangiri was good initially, but the road got narrow and bad from around halfway ( but there seem to be some road work going on in this stretch ). There seemed to some very recent landslides on this stretch.

The road to Muthodi was very good initially and was decent for most of the way except for a few kms in between.
I see you have overcome your apprehensions about driving on ghat roads. The landslide had occurred a couple of months back.

Did you take the Bababudangiri-Muthodi road to reach Muthodi or did you go from Chikmagalur?
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 14:14   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Actually, the bypass itself is very good (except for a couple of potholes), the pathetic stretch is the road connecting the bypass to Belur road
Ah, my bad. I was thinking this was the actual bypass itself .

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
I see you have overcome your apprehensions about driving on ghat roads. The landslide had occurred a couple of months back.
Did you take the Bababudangiri-Muthodi road to reach Muthodi or did you go from Chikmagalur?
I took the route from Chikmagalur to visit Muthodi as this was on a different day to the Bababudangiri route. I loved the route to Muthodi. The slope was gentle and the road was good for most of the way ( except for around 5 kms on the way where the road was narrow and potholed, after crossing Mallandur) . And my Punto behaved impeccably on the corners.

Bababudangiri was my first ghat road and although i did manage quite well, there was one quite scary moment. The road was very narrow and i was on the outside and there was no barricade at the end. It was just a sheer drop from the edge of the road. There was a mini bus coming from the other side and i stopped and the mini bus driver instead of moving a bit towards the inside, asked me to move aside, although i had very little space. The passengers in the bus guided me and i moved a little towards the side and the bus could pass safely. My wife told me later that she was praying to all the gods to get out of this safely . The rest was a breeze and i had got very comfortable by the time we were returning back.
Old 20th March 2011, 12:29   #120
Senior - BHPian

Any updates on this route now? Plan to do a Belur, Halebidu, CKM trip in coming weeks.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote