Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 20th March 2011, 16:48   #121
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Weekend trip to Chikmagalur

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Any updates on this route now? Plan to do a Belur, Halebidu, CKM trip in coming weeks.
Road is decent, with diversions on 4L on the Nelamangala-Kunigal road. Hassan-Belur is as good as ever!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 12:24   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Any updates on this route now? Plan to do a Belur, Halebidu, CKM trip in coming weeks.
Been to Hassan / Belur / C'Magalur end of Jan 2011. Roads to Hassan were quite good, roads inside Hassan are in a horrible state as usual, Hassan - Belur is almost like a runway, while Belur - C'Magalur was just about decent. Make sure you exit and enter Bangalore using the new Nelamangala flyover, that alone will save you 45mins each way in time taken ! BTW - Managed to do B'lore - Hassan in 3hrs maintaining speeds of around 80-90kmph.
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 10:52   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Just came back from the CKM trip. Roads are decent. Nelemangala to Kunigal has 4L road, but lot of diversions and vehicles plying in wrong side. In kunigal, there is bypass being built, so one has to go through the town which has few bad patches. Road work is going on till CR Patna, again need to driven cautiously. CR Patna to Hassan roads are good, seems to recently black topped. Hassan to belur excellent 2L road. Belur to CKM, roads are average.
rajakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2011, 19:18   #124
BHPian

Planning to goto CKM next weekend (Apr 2-4th). After reading the entire thread, it seems like BLR-Hassan-Belur-CKM is the best route. We (friends) plan to stay in CKM for 2 nights, and go see places in and around CKM on one day, and visit Belur & Halebid on our way back.

I plan to take my Civic, which has just about finished its run-in period. My question to those who have done the trip from BLR-CKM numerous times is, should I take my Civic (issues with low GC and all).

Would also appreciate if someone shared the latest info on the roads leading to Baba Budangiri and Mullaingiri. If I feel the roads are bad only here, I can probably rent a car locally and not take my Civic up the hill?? Suggestions please.

Also, we're yet to finalize on our place of stay. I've been looking at numerous homestay options, but not found one so far that fits the the bill in terms of cost, quality and location. Any one been to Beanstalk Bagmane?
teknicsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 10:49   #125
Senior - BHPian

Your Civic can easily do the trip no problems whatsoever.Places to stop for food enroute are

CCD after Kunigal town.

Kamat & CCD around 10kms before Hassan.There are infact a couple of better restaurants as well before Kamath.

Mulliangiri road is very bad at the moment(as of last week) and its pretty warm/hot at the top.

While coming back you could divert at Kalasipuram(on the CKM-Belur road)and then go via Belawadi and then Halebid-Belur and then onwards to Hassan.The advantage if you do it this way is that you wouldnt have to retrace any of your routes.Roads are excellent.After Belavadi,you would join the Banavar-Belur Road where you take a right and go towards Halebid and Belur.
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 10:54   #126
BHPian

Quote:
While coming back you could divert at Kalasipuram(on the CKM-Belur road)and then go via Belawadi and then Halebid-Belur and then onwards to Hassan.The advantage if you do it this way is that you wouldnt have to retrace any of your routes.Roads are excellent.After Belavadi,you would join the Banavar-Belur Road where you take a right and go towards Halebid and Belur.
@teknicsand: If you plan to take up the above suggestion by ranjitp1 then I would also recommend you do Sravanabelagoda on the way back from Belur / Halebid. You can take a stop near Adi Chunchanagiri institutions KSTDC hotel for a break as well on that road.
bandlimitedlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 11:03   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknicsand View Post
My question to those who have done the trip from BLR-CKM numerous times is, should I take my Civic (issues with low GC and all).

Would also appreciate if someone shared the latest info on the roads leading to Baba Budangiri and Mullaingiri. If I feel the roads are bad only here, I can probably rent a car locally and not take my Civic up the hill?? Suggestions please.
I went there about a week back. Roads are good and your Civic will not have any issues. To Mullaingiri, the roads are recently laid till the hill top. Brace yourself for a tight driving as the roads are very narrow.

For BabaBudanGiri, there are few rough patches, and roads are pretty ok. I did both with my swift and i hope civic will not have any problem.

There is a Mayura Veg hotel after Kunigal, which we found to be very decent stop for the food and restroom. However, I have heard mixed reviews on Kamat.

Last edited by rajakumar : 28th March 2011 at 11:06.
rajakumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 11:03   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandlimitedlife View Post
@teknicsand: If you plan to take up the above suggestion by ranjitp1 then I would also recommend you do Sravanabelagoda on the way back from Belur / Halebid. You can take a stop near Adi Chunchanagiri institutions KSTDC hotel for a break as well on that road.
My bad,yes Sravanabelagola is also doable.But to do all the three places,ensure you leave CKM pretty early as the diversion/climb to Sravanabelagola would set you back by around 2-3 hours.So plan for an early departure so as to reach Bangalore by evening.
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 11:12   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My question to those who have done the trip from BLR-CKM numerous times is, should I take my Civic (issues with low GC and all).
I own a CIVIC, I almost travel every weekend(or atleast once in 15 days) to my native in my CIVIC. Civic should not be a problem at all.

Quote:
You can take Civic to Mullaingiri. But you are a first timer in these road, just be careful, the road is very very narrow , winding and at some spots the road is just sufficient for 1 vehicle to pass at a time, pls plan very carefully while giving way to oncoming vehicle.
There is not a single barricade on this entire stretch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Mulliangiri road is very bad at the moment(as of last week) and its pretty warm/hot at the top.
Are you sure about it ? I think probably you might have got a wrong information here. CKM-Kaimara-Seethalyyangiri - Mullaingiri is in very good condition. This road was recently tarred (around 6+ months back). I had been to Mullaingiri almost 2 months back, it was in very good condition.
Hope the road wouldn't change so drastically without landslide or heavy & prolonged rainfall.
Or are you referring to anyother place ? particulalry Kemmangundi.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2011, 23:58   #130
BHPian

Thanks for all the suggestions and information. Appreciate it!!

So our plan is to leave Bangalore early on Saturday morning, and reach CKM by lunch, so that we don't miss an over of the world cup finals I'm sure we'll be glued to the TV on Saturday, so there won't be any sightseeing.

On Sunday we plan to step out and go see the places close by. Thanks for the info on road conditions and also specifically about the Civic. I've driven on narrow roads when I went to Lansdowne in Uttarakhand in a Corolla. The road to our place of stay for about 2-4kms was wide enough for only one vehicle, and there were no spots for allowing another to pass you. Luckily we didn't face that problem of a vehicle coming from the opp direction. The road wasn't even tarred. So I should be ok.

Since we have just one day to go see places, what do you recommend we see and those that we can skip so that we can cover all of them in the day and return to our accommodation before it gets dark.

Monday morning we plan to leave early, and visit Belur & Halebid on our way back. Can we squeeze in Belawadi and Sravanabelagola too or will that be pushing it? Don't want it to get too late otherwise getting into Bangalore will become a pain with the traffic.
Old 29th March 2011, 10:59   #131
BHPian

Quote:
Monday morning we plan to leave early, and visit Belur & Halebid on our way back. Can we squeeze in Belawadi and Sravanabelagola too or will that be pushing it? Don't want it to get too late otherwise getting into Bangalore will become a pain with the traffic.
Belur Halebidu Shravanabelagola can all be done in a single day. But if you want to appreciate the beauty of the sculptures at these places, you might want to take a little more time. Start a bit early and reach Belur early in the morning so that you can spend a good amount of time enjoying the beauty of this temple. Halebidu should not take a lot of time( unless if you want to check out the other 2 ancient temple nearby). Shravanabelagola might take up around 2-3 hours due to the uphill climb.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 10:27   #132
BHPian

Back from a good trip to CKM. Thanks to all of you for the information about places and roads. Will post a travelogue soon.
Old 22nd April 2011, 15:41   #133
BHPian

Guys,

Will be travelling to chikmagalur on 13th of May, I stay very close to Mysore road which would be the best route for me take? a little detailed route would be very helpful since im not all good in this route thingy!
Red Circle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 16:51   #134
Team-BHP Support

When you say Mysore road, is close to NICE road or more towards the City? Because nowadays going through Nelamangala is much easier, even if its more distance.

Depending on your source location, route can be optimized.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2011, 20:04   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Circle View Post
Guys,

Will be travelling to chikmagalur on 13th of May, I stay very close to Mysore road which would be the best route for me take? a little detailed route would be very helpful since im not all good in this route thingy!
Assuming you would be somewhere near the ring road, I'd suggest the following route. Take the newly opened ring road to Tumkur road (via Magadi Road and Kanteerava Studio). You will face a huge mess on Mysore road, but after that it is smooth sailing till Tumkur road. Take left towards Tumkur, get on the Elevated road and move towards Nelamangala. You will pay toll just after the elevated road. Watch out for signs towards Mangalore and Kunigal and take the exit from the tolled road.

Take left once you exit the tolled road and continue. You will pass Kunigal, Bellur Cross, Hiresave, Channarayapatna on the way to Hassan. When reach Hassan, go through the city and take a right at Tanneeru Halla. Reach Belur and continue straight to Chikmagalur. There are ample signboards on the way finding directions should not be a problem.
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote