Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd January 2008, 17:36   #1
Default Going to Goa? Beware of the Amboli route

Thought I should post this for those planning to go to Goa by the Belgaum->Amboli->Sawantwadi route. This road is usually better than the Anmod Ghat route. Right now, though, it's a tire shredder all the way from Belgaum to Sawantwadi. And surprise surprise, the Anmod route is much better, except for a 10-15 km stretch. It is advisable to go by the NH4A route.
midlifecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 19:18   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Originally Posted by midlifecrisis View Post
Right now, though, it's a tire shredder all the way from Belgaum to Sawantwadi
I took this route to Goa in October and that time also this road was in a bad condition. But the Amboli ghat section was in a good condition and i really enjoyed those curves.

Near the Amboli waterfalls fog had settled on the road at 4pm in the evening and it was really awesome and visibility was practically nil.
Sankar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2008, 22:35   #3
Default Bangalore - Goa Route

I drove to Goa from Bangalore last week.

Route taken

Bangalore > Tumkur > Shimoga > Jog Falls > Honnavar > Kumta > Karwar > Goa

Preferred to take this route due to several reasons:

1. Read earlier reviews on hubli belgaum route and discovered it to be heavily used and lined with bad roads
2. Had an urge to visit jog falls

The roads all the way were quite good. Around 10 kms after and before Shimoga were bad, out of which 2 kms was really pathetic. But 2 kms out of 670 kms can be easily tolerated.

30 kms is ghat section, which starts from Jog falls and ends at Honnavar. Roads in the ghats are narrow for around 10 kms. Rest of it is quite good.

Law of averages worked pretty well on this trip as well. Average speed was around 50 kmph. Total distance from Indiranagar (Bangalore) to Panaji (Goa) was 670 kms. Took me around 15 hrs on the way to Goa. A halt at Jog falls and slow traffic in Goa accounted for 3 hours of the travel time.

On the way back, 10 hours from Goa and I was at the Welcome sign outside Bangalore. However, traffic was moving like a sloth in the city and I spent 2 hours to cover 30 kms...Pathetic!

Note: If you wish to take this route with the intention of visiting Jog falls, keep your excitement in check. Jog falls was a flop show. A thin strip of water dropping down into the fall. Raja, Rani, Roarer & Rocket seemed to be extremely exagerrated names for the falls.

Shivanasamudram in 100 times better than Jog.

Happy Driving
indicaturbo2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2008, 10:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Jog Falls is not worth place except during heavy rain fall (July/August) because linganamakki dam is big one and it has good capacity to store water. So I suggest visit Jog Falls only during July/August and durign the week where there is heavy rain fall.

To go to goa from bangalore right now best route is Blre -> tumkur -> Shimoga -> Jog Falls -> Honnavar -> Ankola -> goa. Pothole filling work is done now in bad stretches and they are soon putting new layer so hopefully in 1 month from now roads will be back normal.

ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote