Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 8th June 2014, 13:53   #166
BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Yercaud : Route Queries

I had been to Yercaud recently (30-1 Jun) with family. Four of my friends also had joined this vacation trip with their families. Stayed at GRT resorts, which was awesome and provides excellent comfort. Food was very yummy with lots of varieties in break-fast and Dinner buffet spread. Entire resort was well maintained and staffs were very courteous .

I took familiar GQ route Blr-Hosur (via Bagalur)-Krishnagiri->Dharmapuri-Salem-Yercaud. Started from home (Brookefield/Thubarahalli) on 8.30am and reached resort around 1.30pm with 45 mins break at McD, shoolagiri. Till Salem, route was very much clear due to well placed signboards at appropriate junctions. However once reached salem, there were confusions to identify Yercaud road as there was no appropriate signboards at junctions. Those who go first time may have some difficulty in identifying the road which leads to Yercaud after reaching Salem.

Though I've driven 25K kms in my i10, could not stop butterflies in my tummy as it was my first hill-station drive. Maintained 2nd/3rd gear and rpm at 2000 during hill drive. There are 20 hair-pin bends which are neither easy nor tough. One has to be extra careful when negotiating hair pin bend as the vehicles keep coming in opp direction. Overall, drive was comfortable and smooth . Exactly after 20th bend, you can expect the GRT resort entrance at right. Entrance is very steep down, I even thought this could not be the entrance and moved 10 meters ahead. Then took U turn again only to enjoy the roller-coaster entrance.

Return journey to Bangalore was little hectic due to more traffic from Salem till Krishnagiri on sunday afternoon. Due to more number of slow moving trucks occupying both of the two lanes, one can expect average speed be around 65Km from Salem to Krishnagiri.

Mod Note : Post Edited. Smiley usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys in a post.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th June 2014 at 12:16. Reason: Extra smiley
VSRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 18:35   #167

Guys, I am planning to drive down to Yercaud for an overnight trip. Accommodation mostly at GRT Nature Trails.

Needed inputs from fellow-travellers regarding any other tourist-worthy destinations in / around Yercaud would be greatly appreciated.
Abhishek82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 19:16   #168
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhishek82 View Post
Guys, I am planning to drive down to Yercaud for an overnight trip. Accommodation mostly at GRT Nature Trails.

Needed inputs from fellow-travellers regarding any other tourist-worthy destinations in / around Yercaud would be greatly appreciated.
If you start early from Bangalore, one option may be to go to Kolli Hills, there is a waterfall there (but a lot of hairpin bends, not treacherous though).
To get here you have to go past Salem towards Namakkal and then take a turn off to Kolli Hills. You will then need to get back towards Salem and take the Yercaud ghat road. If you're staying at GRT Nature Trails, the entry is on from one of the hairpin bends.

In Yercaud you can visit the lake, surroundings, Lady's Seat, Gent's seat, Shevaroyan temple, Pagoda point, and some more view points. Also Kiliyur falls, though I've never been there and don't know how the access to the place is.

Last edited by NPV : 4th July 2014 at 19:20.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 20:01   #169
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The resort itself is a nice place to hang out. If its raining and foggy, nothing better than the resort. There are few view points, but most times they are crowded. If its just for a day, you are going, I would hang around indoors, chill out at the pool and eat !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you start early from Bangalore, one option may be to go to Kolli Hills, there is a waterfall there (but a lot of hairpin bends, not treacherous though).
I would say not worth it. If you are going with family to chill out at a place, and that too for a weekend, best idea is to find a good resort with a good location and stay put.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2014, 23:29   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You can try Kolli hills in Rasipuram near salem that has 70 hair pin bends.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 07:19   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
You can try Kolli hills in Rasipuram near salem that has 70 hair pin bends.
How is the road condition to kolli hills? especially the ghat section.
arun_josie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2014, 22:09   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
How is the road condition to kolli hills? especially the ghat section.
The ghat roads are narrow but well laid out. One can visit Masilla aruvi (waterfalls) apart from a famous shiva temple out there.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2014, 10:07   #173
BHPian

Did an Bangalore - Yercaud trip During the Diwali Weekend.

Enjoyed the Drive truely, especially my first ghat/hairpin drive after a lot of years.

Started on 23rd Oct and Returned on 25th October.
No long queues on toll plazas because the dates are within the long weekend and not on the beginning and the end of it.

Onward :

Started 07:10 AM from Hoody.
Took my usual route of Hoodi-Kundalahalli-Varthur-Sarjapur-Bagalur to reach Hosur.
Since it was a long weekend and very sparse traffic, we reached Hosur at 08:10 AM (odo - 45kms)
Stopped for HP COCO at Shoolagiri for fuel,breakfast and bio break at 08:30AM
Resumed journey after 45 mins @ 09:15 AM. (Its getting too crowded these days in Krishna Inn)
Reached Salem at 10:45 AM and @ 11:45, we were at Yercaud Lake (odo 232.5 kms).
At Salem, we branched out of the NH near the Grand Estancia hotel into the Salem city, took a left at the 5 Road Signal, and couple of signals afterwards took another left towards Yercaud. There are sign boards for Yercaud just before the turn you make. So, just pass through 2-3 signals enroute. The traffic was slow moving in Salem, but after that the ghat section was fun to drive on.

Stay :
We had booked our stay at Grand Palace Hotel. Booked through their website about 1.5 months ago and got a flat 20% discount on the room rates.
The objective was to just relax and not sight seeing. Since it was drizzling on the day, we decided to stay indoors on day one.
The rooms are good. We had booked the premium rooms, they had a huge balcony terrace access for each room and my 1.5 year old son was enjoying that to the max. Their buffet breakfast was also good. Since we had a toddler, we didnít want to experiment much with restaurants especially with the monsoon around.
We sticked to the Hotel Restaurant (Orange). Their only drawback is that anything you order(including running orders) they take a good 15-20 mins to bring to your table(They say, they prepare it fresh).

Day two we headed off towards the lake, the adjacent park and also to a couple of view points.
I caught a viral eye infection, somewhere in this, due to which the plans of other sight seeing had to parked.

Return :
We decided to return back on Saturday morning, not to take much risk with my eyes. Started from Yercaud at 09:45 AM and reached Bangalore at 02:00 PM (odo-475 kms).
It took as almost 1 hour and 15 mins from Sarjapur to Hoodi, courtesy very bad roads at the Sarjapur round-about and also slow moving tippers carrying overloads of gravel for construction. I was stuck behind one such convoy of 5 such trucks. Also from Varthur, to Forum Value Mall, could barely see any roads and it was craters all over.

Overall a trip of mixed feelings. My son and spouse enjoyed it a lot, except me due to the eye infection.
hamster is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 19:12   #174
BHPian

Hey guys,

I am planning to do Bangalore-Yercaud during December and needed some info-

1. Is December a good time to visit?

2. GRT is booked for the days I am planning for, so I am considering Shevaroys, Grand Palace and Lake Forest. Which one would you pick among these three? Any other alternative? My priorities (in the same order)- cleanliness, good food, nice view

Thanks very much
Car-go-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 19:21   #175
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-go-man View Post
Hey guys,

2. GRT is booked for the days I am planning for, so I am considering Shevaroys, Grand Palace and Lake Forest. Which one would you pick among these three? Any other alternative? My priorities (in the same order)- cleanliness, good food, nice view

Thanks very much
December would be pretty cold in Yercaud, but nothing that cannot be managed. There was a Team BHP drive to Yercaud and they had stayed at Shevaroys. You can search for the thread in the meet section. That would be a good place I guess. However, getting accommodation may be difficult now.
ILTDrive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 21:19   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
In my opinion December is the best time to visit Yercaud. Its a very pleasant 10-15 degrees I guess. An ideal time to spend a vacation and hog some hot food!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 22:06   #177
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks very much
Even i had been to yercaud in december 2010. The weather was cold but definitely manageable. I too stayed in shevaroys hotel. Nice place to stay.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 22:19   #178
BHPian

Thanks folks for your advice. I just booked Shevaroys a couple of minutes ago :-)
Car-go-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 22:22   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks folks for your advice. I just booked Shevaroys a couple of minutes ago :-)
Are you planning to drive from bangalore by car? If so, i would suggest you this scenic route

Via Hosur,Krishnagiri,Kambainallur,Morappur,Harur and kuppanur. You need not touch salem at all.

If you wish to avoid paying any toll, here goes the route

Via Attibele, Kelamangalam,Rayakottai,Vellichandai,Karimangalam, Kambainallur,Morappur,Harur and kuppanur.
suresh_gs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 22:24   #180
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
http://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowUserRe...amil_Nadu.html

Think again unless you're on a budget!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote