Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 25th October 2016, 14:50   #256
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Yercaud : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This is the Harur-Kuppanur section, which goes through the Kalrayan forest range for some length. That section near the forest is broken for some construction work.
Hello Ampere,

After a long time.

I am driving to Yercaud from Chennai via Krishnagiri on this Deepawali, eight years after I undertook the same trip.

I recall that last time I had a tough time crossing Salem, on the way up. Now things must be worse.

I will take the same route this time. Please tell me a way I can minimise the anguish of Salem drive.

P.S. - Also, can someone pleeeease give me the landmarks I can follow while driving through Salem, so that I do not have to ask for directions.

Last edited by skdking : 25th October 2016 at 14:51.
skdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 16:41   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
P.S. - Also, can someone pleeeease give me the landmarks I can follow while driving through Salem, so that I do not have to ask for directions.
Do not worry about crossing Salem towards Yercaud, it is very much straightforward.

While driving down from Krishnagiri side, you will come across SAIL entry on your right. Drive past that towards Salem, you will find the road forks in to two, the left fork takes you to Salem town. There is a small signboard mentioning the same on the left and also you can see hotel Grand on the left. Proceed on this left fork till you reach the next junction with flyover construction ongoing.

At this circle, take left and continue on this road for couple of KM's and you will cross a government building on the left (guess corporation office) and reach a circle. From there you need to take left again, which is highway towards Yercaud.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 19:25   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will take the same route this time. Please tell me a way I can minimise the anguish of Salem drive.

To skip Salem, you can try Karimangalam - Harur - Kuppanur - Yercaud, its a decent route.
https://goo.gl/maps/3wrRrjXN1C82
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2016, 19:43   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Do not worry about crossing Salem towards Yercaud, it is very much straightforward.

While driving down from Krishnagiri side, you will come across SAIL entry on your right. Drive past that towards Salem, you will find the road forks in to two, the left fork takes you to Salem town. There is a small signboard mentioning the same on the left and also you can see hotel Grand on the left. Proceed on this left fork till you reach the next junction with flyover construction ongoing.

At this circle, take left and continue on this road for couple of KM's and you will cross a government building on the left (guess corporation office) and reach a circle. From there you need to take left again, which is highway towards Yercaud.
Thanks Suhas bro.

I have tried to draw a Google Map of the route. Am I on right track?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/11.6...a=!4m2!4m1!3e0
Attached Thumbnails
Bangalore - Yercaud : Route Queries-salem.png  

Old 25th October 2016, 19:46   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have tried to draw a Google Map of the route. Am I on right trackl]
Exactly the same route.
Also, you can think about the route Arun mentioned . Had heard good reviews about the route from all, I was not able to try the same couple of months back.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2016, 20:11   #261
BHPian

Just back from my 27-29 Oct 2016 Yercaud trip.

The route from Chennai to Yercaud held no surprises. The road from Vellore to Yercaud is butter smooth. Chennai to Vellore stretch needs major improvement.

The stay was at GRT Rocca and Hotel Sheveroys. A day at each. Rocca was great. Sheveroys was so-so.

For food I strongly recommend Orange restaurant at Hotel Grand Palace. Great ambience. Even greater food quality.

The route suggested by Suhas was spot on. Thank you, Suhas.
Old 10th November 2016, 21:31   #262
BHPian

Default Bangalore - Yercaud : Route Queries

Is is advisable for Bangalore Yercaud trip tomorrow with a 4PM start from Bangalore? This is with family including a 3 year old. Food is not a worry but I am more worried about the route and road condition. Please advise
spiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2016, 21:44   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiler View Post
Is is advisable for Bangalore Yercaud trip tomorrow with a 4PM start from Bangalore? This is with family including a 3 year old. Food is not a worry but I am more worried about the route and road condition. Please advise
Keep 3 hours to reach Salem, good roads. You will encounter peak hour traffic within Salem. From there on the ghat roads should be doable after dusk as the roads are good.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 07:00   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The route is pretty straightforward via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Thoppur and Salem. Yercaud is about 30 kms from Salem and you have to negotiate 20 hair pin bends. It is NH all the way till Salem from Bangalore.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 07:33   #265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
With a 4PM start and evening snacks break, I am sure you should account for at least 4 to 4.5 hours. This is also because of heavy traffic within Salem and time take to reach the actual ghat road. A lot also depends on how fast you are able to hit past Hosur (In other words go past Electronic City, Attibele Toll, Hosur town etc).
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 10:23   #266
BHPian

Quote:
With a 4PM start and evening snacks break, I am sure you should account for at least 4 to 4.5 hours. This is also because of heavy traffic within Salem and time take to reach the actual ghat road. A lot also depends on how fast you are able to hit past Hosur (In other words go past Electronic City, Attibele Toll, Hosur town etc).
Well even i was worried about what you mentioned, hence i wanted inputs since this is the first time i am travelling to Yercaud. Finally changed my plans and now will start on Saturday early morning. Any idea about traffic conditions? Will it be like the same mad rush seen on B'lore - Mysore route on Saturdays?
Old 11th November 2016, 10:27   #267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well even i was worried about what you mentioned, hence i wanted inputs since this is the first time i am travelling to Yercaud. Finally changed my plans and now will start on Saturday early morning. Any idea about traffic conditions? Will it be like the same mad rush seen on B'lore - Mysore route on Saturdays?
If its not a long weekend then its usually OK. Else its maddening. On a regular weekend it should be about 2:30 - 3 Hours to Salem and another 40 minutes to climb.

May be if you start by 2:30 / 3 instead of 4PM, you can also try on Friday evening plan. Nothing like waking up at a hill station.

Quote:
Is this the route which is most recommended by all in this forum?
Yes that is the usual route.

Last edited by ampere : 11th November 2016 at 10:58.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 10:52   #268
BHPian

Quote:
If its not a long weekend then its usually OK. Else its maddening. On a regular weekend it should be about 2:30 - 3 Hours to Salem and another 40 minutes to climb.

May be if you start by 2:30 / 3 instead of 4PM, you can also try on Friday evening plan. Nothing like waking up at a hill station.
Even the 4PM start was becoming a challenge, hence changed the plans. Is this the route which is most recommended by all in this forum?
https://goo.gl/maps/HcEaxpR2ufN2.
Old 11th November 2016, 11:28   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even the 4PM start was becoming a challenge, hence changed the plans. Is this the route which is most recommended by all in this forum?
Yes, the one mentioned by you is the standard and best route. For the next best route, you can check this post,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post4040881 (Bangalore - Yercaud : Route Queries)
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 13:15   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For the return journey, try to come via Kuppanur, Harur, Morappur, Kambainallur, Krishnagiri and the regular NH to Bangalore. By this you avoid Salem completely.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote