Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2008, 15:58   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
mjothi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,252
Thanked: 216 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo_gogo View Post
I think you need to vote for this at Team BHP meet thread. cheers:
i think you mistook mine "Add me to the list" for the yercaud meet. Right?

No, I did not mentioned me to add to that list. i responded to csenthil post which reads as below

Quote:
However where most of them need to take a right to get back on the Dharmapuri - Krishnagiri highway there is a board saying straight to Bangalore (120 kms) and Hosur. This confuses people and most of them end up taking this route.


P.S. You can even attend the meet without voting
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 17:35   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bru
Posts: 71
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Gogo, how did you manage to miss this thread :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...a-yercaud.html

Just reach Dakshin Honda by 7 am, or the AAB between Hosur & Krishnagiri by 8.30 am, and you will get more help than you asked for !
I think we will have good fun on our way to Yercaud.. Looking fwd to meet them
gogo_gogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2008, 10:34   #18
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bangalore / Madras
Posts: 1,980
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Most probably on the return journey most of them would take Salem - Palacode - Rayakottai - Hosur - Bangalore.

this is because the bridge construction at the Palakode road (Dharmapuri bypass) and Salem road is not yet complete and vehicles are asked to proceed a little bit on the Dharmapuri bypass. However where most of them need to take a right to get back on the Dharmapuri - Krishnagiri highway there is a board saying straight to Bangalore (120 kms) and Hosur. This confuses people and most of them end up taking this route.

This route is shorter by 20 kms and is a normal 2 lane with good but winding roads. Watch out for the two bridge constructions that are happening on this route. Lot of blind curves. But beautiful scenery.
At the circle, with straight marked towards Bangalore, one needs to take a right towards Dharmapuri (4 km from this point). You then come across a flyover (DO NOT turn left here as the next flyover is incomplete) - continue under the flyover, across the railway track and at the next major intersection / traffic signal, turn left to head towards Krishnagiri. A right at this junction will take you back towards Salem.

Alternatively, instead of taking the bypass, one can turn right into Dharmapuri town from NH7 and this will bring you back to the signal described in the previous paragraph.

The entire route from Bangalore to Yercaud is generally good. Except for the mess until the TN border and some sections enroute, the roads are good. However, facilities are not that great. Finding a place with clean toilets can be a task. The BPCL bunk beyond Omalur bypass (from Salem) is a good spot.

Very easy during the day. Night driving is also a breeze if one is used to it.

Edit: some pointers
After the flyover at Krishnagiri bypass (straight on the flyover towards Dharmapuri, left towards Bargur / Chennai), the "Take Diversion" signs are in vogue.
Dharmapuri bypass is incomplete and one has to pass through the town. At the first traffic light, one can proceed straight OR turn right, get out of the town and turn left at the huge circle to get back onto NH7.
Just outside Salem, one can continue straight on NH7 until Salem Junction (1, identified by a clock tower) and take a left - continue straight at the next circle (2) and you are on Sarada College Road. A left at the next circle (3) will get you onto Yercaud Road.
OR where you see the road branching to the left, take the left and you will reach the circle marked (2) above. Left here and left at circle (3) gets you onto Yercaud Road.

Circle (2) has no signs if one is entering from NH7 - you know you have taken the correct left turn if you see Hotel Devi on the LHS immediately after the turn.

Last edited by hrag : 13th October 2008 at 10:45.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 09:46   #19
BHPian
 
Tempelhof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 450
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Planning to go from Bangalore to Yercaud in about 2 weeks. How is the road condition now?

Any speed breakers (Civic) to be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Raja


[quote=hrag;1012850]The entire route from Bangalore to Yercaud is generally good. Except for the mess until the TN border and some sections enroute, the roads are good. However, facilities are not that great. Finding a place with clean toilets can be a task. The BPCL bunk beyond Omalur bypass (from Salem) is a good spot.

Very easy during the day. Night driving is also a breeze if one is used to it.
Tempelhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 15:39   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 181
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

I drove to Yercaud a 2 weeks back.
The road is fully 4-laned til Salem. you can drive bangalore-salem in 3.5 hours easily. If you drive fast, may be even less. There are set of 7-8 speed breakers just before the ghats before salem starts. The breakers are not big enough to trouble Civic. Although it is irritating to go on to 7-8 breakers within a very short distance. But overall the roads are a dream to drive on, and the new L & T roads are a mjor contributor to that. Salem to Yercaud was good road too, all the way to the top.
pkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 18:05   #21
BHPian
 
arin_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 597
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
But overall the roads are a dream to drive on, and the new L & T roads are a mjor contributor to that. Salem to Yercaud was good road too, all the way to the top.
Did they complete the road work ? Last time when I was traveling this road it was quite irritating as vehicle keeps coming in opposite side.
arin_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 21:31   #22
BHPian
 
Tempelhof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 450
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post
I drove to Yercaud a 2 weeks back.
The road is fully 4-laned til Salem. you can drive bangalore-salem in 3.5 hours easily. If you drive fast, may be even less. There are set of 7-8 speed breakers just before the ghats before salem starts. The breakers are not big enough to trouble Civic. Although it is irritating to go on to 7-8 breakers within a very short distance. But overall the roads are a dream to drive on, and the new L & T roads are a mjor contributor to that. Salem to Yercaud was good road too, all the way to the top.
When I checked mapmyindia.com, it suggests to take a left turn before Salem to reach Kadayampatti, Danishpet and Nagalur and then on to Yercaud.

Is this a better route, or to go to Salem, and then onto Yercaud ?
Tempelhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 15:38   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 181
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

@arin_12 - Yes the road is complete now and those days of 2-lane road with
dangerous overtaking is gone.

@Templehof - I am not aware of the route you have mentioned. Please make sure road conditions on this one are good enough. If yes then surely this looks more attractive because of the shorter distance.
pkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 17:32   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,350
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

The speed breakers will come after you cross the Second Toll Gate when you drive towards Salem. You will hit the Thoppur ghat section after the toll gate and as you go downhill you would encounter a series of speed breakers which pop up as you take the curves.

Watch out for wrong side driving especially after Krishnagiri. This is a new section of 4 laning and the poor villagers are still not used to 4 lanes and tend to treat each side as a separate road.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 18:11   #25
BHPian
 
Tempelhof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 450
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
The speed breakers will come after you cross the Second Toll Gate when you drive towards Salem. You will hit the Thoppur ghat section after the toll gate and as you go downhill you would encounter a series of speed breakers which pop up as you take the curves.

Watch out for wrong side driving especially after Krishnagiri. This is a new section of 4 laning and the poor villagers are still not used to 4 lanes and tend to treat each side as a separate road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkumar View Post

@Templehof - I am not aware of the route you have mentioned. Please make sure road conditions on this one are good enough. If yes then surely this looks more attractive because of the shorter distance.
Thanks for these inputs....will remember.

Any one aware of the quality of roads (reliability) on the Kadayampatti - Danishpet - Nagalur route to Yerrcaud?
Tempelhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 19:22   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
pulsar56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,173
Thanked: 319 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempelhof View Post
Any one aware of the quality of roads (reliability) on the Kadayampatti - Danishpet - Nagalur route to Yerrcaud?
Not many people recommend this route. Once when I my uncle about this route and he said that the roads were bad (almost 1 year back). Not sure about the condition now.

IMHO, taking the Salem route is better as you can also halt for lunch & refreshments with better choices as compared to the above.

If you take this route anyways, please do update about the road conditions here.
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 12:28   #27
BHPian
 
Jammy70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 147
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Hi Templehof,

Did a B'lore-Yercaud drive in Dec'08; the 4 lane work up to Salem was 95% complete and the drive is brilliant. As Pulsar56 suggests, go into Salem and onward to Yercaud - it will not slow you down much.

FYI, I left B'lore at 11.45am and found myself checking in at Grand Palace just after 4pm (we had a 45 minute lunch break at Adayar Ananada Bhavan, Thoppur). On our return, left Yercaud at 12 noon and stopped for lunch at Hotel Cenneys, Salem (good food) and was back at B'lore by 5.30pm.

Drive safe around the ghats - don't hesitate to honk as 2 wheelers ply on this route.

Cheers,
Jammy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 12:32   #28
BHPian
 
kannan666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA-02
Posts: 936
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
Hi Templehof,

Did a B'lore-Yercaud drive in Dec'08; the 4 lane work up to Salem was 95% complete and the drive is brilliant. As Pulsar56 suggests, go into Salem and onward to Yercaud - it will not slow you down much.

FYI, I left B'lore at 11.45am and found myself checking in at Grand Palace just after 4pm (we had a 45 minute lunch break at Adayar Ananada Bhavan, Thoppur). On our return, left Yercaud at 12 noon and stopped for lunch at Hotel Cenneys, Salem (good food) and was back at B'lore by 5.30pm.

Drive safe around the ghats - don't hesitate to honk as 2 wheelers ply on this route.

Cheers,
Which car ? And how was the accomodation in Grand Palace ? Was planning a trip for sometime mid April. Would also like to know if anyone has stayed at The Sky Roca ?
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 13:11   #29
BHPian
 
Tempelhof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 450
Thanked: 123 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy70 View Post
Hi Templehof,

Did a B'lore-Yercaud drive in Dec'08; the 4 lane work up to Salem was 95% complete and the drive is brilliant. As Pulsar56 suggests, go into Salem and onward to Yercaud - it will not slow you down much.

Drive safe around the ghats - don't hesitate to honk as 2 wheelers ply on this route.

Cheers,
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Not many people recommend this route. Once when I my uncle about this route and he said that the roads were bad (almost 1 year back). Not sure about the condition now.

IMHO, taking the Salem route is better as you can also halt for lunch & refreshments with better choices as compared to the above.

If you take this route anyways, please do update about the road conditions here.
Thanks to both of you....will take the Salem route.
Tempelhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 11:41   #30
BHPian
 
Jammy70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 147
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Which car ? And how was the accomodation in Grand Palace ? Was planning a trip for sometime mid April. Would also like to know if anyone has stayed at The Sky Roca ?
Hi Kannan,

Car: Scorp CRDe2.6

About Grand Palace: I had seen some adverse comments about GP but as we couldn't get acco in any other place, had to opt for it. However, we were pleasantly surprised to note the service levels were far above our expectations and overall cleanliness was very good (important for us as we had a 7 month old baby with us). The food is average, though not worth complaining about. Overall, I would recommend GP (btw, the hotel has the best view of the lake - ask for lake-facing rooms).

About Sky Roca: Though I have not stayed there, we had gone over for lunch on day 2, and the buffet was ok. We had to wait a while for seats and found the restaurant hot & sweaty, possibly because of the rocky structure - not sure how the rooms will be. The architecture is impressive and the sky walk was a nice experience.

For me GP is first choice for my next trip...

Cheers,
Jammy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore - Chennai - Bangalore : Route Queries madan80 Route / Travel Queries 2808 22nd November 2017 00:15
Chennai - Yercaud : Route Queries saurabh711 Route / Travel Queries 77 4th August 2017 11:59
Bangalore - Delhi - Srinagar - Delhi - Bangalore : Route Queries micrographics Route / Travel Queries 8 27th November 2015 14:47
Timeout at Yercaud - Bangalore to Yercaud - 2 days Trip bvenkysubbu Travelogues 8 5th June 2013 20:15
Bangalore - Yercaud - Hogenekkal - Bangalore daisyb Travelogues 15 28th December 2012 10:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks