Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd September 2011, 20:57   #31
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Alternative routes - Mahabalipuram to Bangalore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnivara View Post
Another 4-lane to Kanchi? This is the only one which I'm aware of.
The one which goes like Chengelpet - Wallajabad - Kanchi is again a 2L. Even SH48 merges into the above said route at Walljabad.

The other 4L option is the regular GQ to Kanchi.
But looks like since the 4L in point is only till Oragadam, looks its more due
to the industrial nature of the location.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 08:59   #32
Senior - BHPian

Just returned to Bangalore from Mahabalipuram. I tried to do the Oragadam route, but there was a bridge under construction at Vandalur and I could not figure out how to get to Oragadam (I don't know Tamil, so asking around did not help much). So hit the Chennai bypass and then Bangalore highway. Some notes:

- Mahabalipuram - ECR - Kelambakkam - Vandalur stretch is excellent. Kelambakkam to Vandalur is a 4-lane state highway with a median in place. The road surface is not even and there are no shoulders so effective you get a 1.5 lane, but still a good road.

- I could not get to Oragadam route because of a bridge in Vandalur so had to hit the Chennai bypass.

- I was returning on Sunday, so traffic might be less but the chennai bypass and Bangalore highway till Kanchipuram was a breeze to drive and excellent road.

- I took exactly 2hrs to reach Kanchipuram junction from Mahabs taking the above route, same as the regular Chengalpattu route. I could have done the chennai bypass route faster, but I was driving cautiously because this is a new route and I did not get to review the route before starting the journey. In comparison, I hated Chengalpattu route.

- Compared to Chengalpattu route, the Chennai bypass route added 50KM extra. But took exactly the same amount of time. Felt much safer and comfortable. Could be due to Sunday.

- Traffic was dense after Shoolagiri.

- Total of 430KM (door to door) took 6 hrs of travel time. (Breaks excluded). 50KM added because of Chennai Bypass and 20KM or so added because of taking NICE road instead going thru the city. But stress free and brisk drive.

- Kanchipuram - Chengalpattu road is good, but unfortunately there are zillions of speed breakers and one has to drive through kanchipuram town. No fun.
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 09:54   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Vandalur - Maduravoyal - Sriperumbudur seems like a lot of extra, travel? How about Vandalur to Sriperumbudur directly?
The railway bridge you mention below is the reason I didn't recommend the Oragadam route. The Vandalur rail junction is so bad, sometimes weird things like a train stopping for the traffic to move happen.

I've driven the Oragadam 4-lane till Vallakottai a year back when it was under construction. Except for the first 2-3 kms its a dream. The Vallakottai turnoff is the indicator for the route from Sriperumbudur side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I tried to do the Oragadam route, but there was a bridge under construction at Vandalur and I could not figure out how to get to Oragadam (I don't know Tamil, so asking around did not help much).
Quote:
What is importance of this road?
Its become an automotive hub now. Renault Nissan plant's there, Peugeot is setting up a plant there. DICV is moving there.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 21:36   #34

My fellow BHPians,
I am planning a trip to Mahabalipuram from Bangalore and always have been deriving inspiration and assistance from the various threads. I have done Bangalore to Pondicherry around 3 years ago but haven't been towards Mahabalipuram. Since I will be travelling with my wife there are some obvious questions that I need your help on:
1. Best (read safest) route.
2. Any updates on the railway bridge at Vadalur?
3. Recommended places for refreshments on the way.
4. Routes/places to avoid. I am trying to not get into the city traffic even if it means travelling a little extra.
Would appreciate any help/advice/suggestion as I am totally unfamiliar with the route.

Regards,
Harjeet Khokher
harjeet.khokher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2012, 22:46   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeet.khokher View Post
My fellow BHPians,
I am planning a trip to Mahabalipuram from Bangalore and always have been deriving inspiration and assistance from the various threads. I have done Bangalore to Pondicherry around 3 years ago but haven't been towards Mahabalipuram. Since I will be travelling with my wife there are some obvious questions that I need your help on:
1. Best (read safest) route.
2. Any updates on the railway bridge at Vadalur?
I think the best one is still Kanchi-Chengalpattu-Mahabalipuram.
The bridge is still not done I think (Good to confirm). So I wont recommend Sriperumbudur-Vandalur-Kelambakkam option.

Quote:
3. Recommended places for refreshments on the way.
4. Routes/places to avoid. I am trying to not get into the city traffic even if it means travelling a little extra.
Regular A2B/CCD at Shoolagiri. CCD/Arya Bhavan near Vanyambadi.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2013, 22:13   #36
BHPian

Any updates to the road conditions and recommendations on best route currently. Planning a trip in early Oct
LonelyPlanet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 16:39   #37
BHPian

Any latest updates on the road condition Bangalore - Mahabalipuram - Bangalore?

Starting from Whitefield, Bangalore. I am getting 2 options on Google:

1) NH4 - Hoskote - Kolar - Mulbagal - Palamaner - Arcot - Kanchipuram - Athur - Chengalpattu - Thirukkazhukundram - Mamallapuram (319 KM)

2) AH 45 - Hosur - Krishnagiri - Vaniyambadi - Ambur - Thottapalayam - Ranipettai - Arcot -Kanchipuram - Athur - Chengalpattu - Thirukkazhukundram - Mamallapuram (355 KM)

I will be travelling with my family and want to know the latest road condition on these 2 routes and any suggestion or recommendation for alternate routes.

Thanks in advance

Regards,
narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 21:18   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
1) NH4 - Hoskote - Kolar - Mulbagal - Palamaner - Arcot - Kanchipuram - Athur - Chengalpattu - Thirukkazhukundram - Mamallapuram (319 KM)
See if there are any issues at AP Border. May be its better to take the road via Hosur/Krishnagiri.
Old 6th September 2013, 11:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

The road bridge at Vandalur is done. Suggest you take the Hosur - Krishnagiri route unless you are intend to cross AP before dawn breaks. Crossing Kanchipuram & then Chengalpet is a pain. The road through Thirukalukundram is slow as well with lot of local traffic.

http://goo.gl/maps/p1Bhv
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2013, 22:16   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
See if there are any issues at AP Border. May be its better to take the road via Hosur/Krishnagiri.
Thanks ampere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
The road bridge at Vandalur is done. Suggest you take the Hosur - Krishnagiri route unless you are intend to cross AP before dawn breaks. Crossing Kanchipuram & then Chengalpet is a pain. The road through Thirukalukundram is slow as well with lot of local traffic.

http://goo.gl/maps/p1Bhv
Thanks Srikanth.

I just followed this suggestion by Srikanth and returned back from Mahabalipuram during the week end. The route is nice and less traffic. However you need to have a MAP/navigation system otherwise its not straighforward. Onward journey map on my phone gave some issues so it took a bit more time to reach mahabalipuram however during the return journey the map worked perfectly fine and my travel time reduced drastically on return. on return we started at 10:45 AM and reached my home in whitefield at 5:45 PM.

Attebelle toll booth and checkpost were real bottle necks on our onward journey - lost some 30-40 minutes, we avoided that while return and took the Hosur - Bagalur - Sarjapur - Chikkatirupati route instead.

Thanks once again for the route and advise.

Cheers
narayanang76
narayanang76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2013, 11:04   #41

Hi, Could you please give proper driving directions to take the "Hosur - Bagalur - Sarjapur - Chikkatirupati route"

Thanks
umashankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2013, 10:26   #42
BHPian

Hi Narayan/BHPians,

I wanted to find out that the route taken through Sriperumbudur then Kelambakkam is better than going through Kanchipuram and Chengalputtu? Distance is almost more by 50 kms and time taken extra is approx 20 minutes as per Google maps.

I am starting tomorrow morning at 7:30am (hopefully) with a small kid and wifey.

Btw anyone else also driving tomorrow then we can team up or atleast be in touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Thanks ampere!

Thanks Srikanth.

I just followed this suggestion by Srikanth and returned back from Mahabalipuram during the week end. The route is nice and less traffic. However you need to have a MAP/navigation system otherwise its not straighforward. Onward journey map on my phone gave some issues so it took a bit more time to reach mahabalipuram however during the return journey the map worked perfectly fine and my travel time reduced drastically on return. on return we started at 10:45 AM and reached my home in whitefield at 5:45 PM.

Attebelle toll booth and checkpost were real bottle necks on our onward journey - lost some 30-40 minutes, we avoided that while return and took the Hosur - Bagalur - Sarjapur - Chikkatirupati route instead.

Thanks once again for the route and advise.

Cheers
narayanang76
carfanatic007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 12:31   #43
BHPian

I'm planning a trip tomorrow from Bangalore to Mahabapipuram. The last time I had been to Mahabalipuram (didn't drive, took a hired taxi),
the route used was the "Vellore-Sriperumbedur-Vandalur Zoo" one, so I plan to take the same this time.
Looks like others also recommend it. This is what I planned

Whitefield-->Varthur Road (SH-35)-->Sarjapur-->Join Hosur Rd at Attibele (detour to avoid e-city traffic, in case we dont leave too early)

Hosur-->Krishnagiri---> Vellore -->Sriperumbedur -->SH-110 to Vandalur

Left at Vandalur Zoo -->Kellambakkam -->East Coast Road

Anyone know of good rest stops with clean toilets after Krishnagiri? I remember the last time I did this route, A2B at Krishnagiri was the only good place to stop.

Last edited by floyd : 8th May 2014 at 12:39.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 12:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Whitefield-->Varthur Road (SH-35)-->Sarjapur-->Join Hosur Rd at Attibele (detour to avoid e-city traffic, in case we dont leave too early)
Go even further on NH207 to Bagalur and join straight at Hosur, this way you bypass Attibele toll and Hosur mess as well. See the Bypassing Bangalore thread.

Quote:
Still holds good, alternatively you can continue on Old Mahabalipuram Road (taking a right at Kelambakkam coming from Vandalur) and reach Mahabs as well.
narayans80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 13:04   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If you starting from Whitefield, why head to Hosur. Take the Kolar-Mulbagal road. You can save quite some time.

Quote:
Sriperumbedur -->SH-110 to Vandalur
Can be done.

Quote:
Anyone know of good rest stops with clean toilets after Krishnagiri? I remember the last time I did this route, A2B at Krishnagiri was the only good place to stop.
Past Ranipet, there is CCD on Kanchi bypass. You also have Arya Bhavan.