Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 20th January 2008, 09:13   #1
BHPian

Default Goa weekend options

We're planning a trip to Goa next weekend. Acco and travel have been reserved already (stay at a resort not far from Anjuna and Baga beaches). However, we haven't yet planned about how to spend the three days there. So a few questions:

1) What are the must-not-miss things/activities in Goa?
2) Best beaches to visit
3) Best way to get around (it could be just me and wife, or we may take along with us our 1 year old). Have heard that one gets bikes on hire there. How about rent-a-car options?

Thanks in advance,
Jay
pjay_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 09:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
We're planning a trip to Goa next weekend. Acco and travel have been reserved already (stay at a resort not far from Anjuna and Baga beaches). However, we haven't yet planned about how to spend the three days there. So a few questions:

2) Best beaches to visit
3) Best way to get around (it could be just me and wife, or we may take along with us our 1 year old). Have heard that one gets bikes on hire there. How about rent-a-car options?

Thanks in advance,
Jay
Must no miss: Bagmalo beach sunset (Amitabh starrer "Samandar mein nahake" was shot entirely here), Palolem beach, Arambol beach

Take your car that will be best...Pls read my Goa travelogue, I have done entire North to South...
Otherwise you will get bikes / cars for hire, that can be expensive...

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 09:40   #3
BHPian

At Calngute amd Baga beach do ensure to visit Souza Lobo's or Brittos they are very well know for their goan food. Visit Colva, Donna Paula beaches and also dont miss the evening cruise on the Mandovi river. Its better to have your own vehicle for commutation.
Hurrycane12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 09:42   #4
BHPian

Thanks Abhi for the quick reply. Will keep those names on my checklist.

I decided against driving to Goa in order to travel overnight and save the daytime for sightseeing. Haven't seen the place before so wanted to have more time there.
Old 20th January 2008, 10:30   #5
BHPian

and please dont miss brittos its a shack on anjuna beach i am not sure, the food there is out of this world
chetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 10:34   #6
PVS
BHPian

Quote:
2) Best beaches to visit
Jay
1) We had taken a GTDC Monsoon package in August 2005, and as a part of the North Goa tour, we visited an ancient goan house, just to get a feel of the authentic goan lifestyle. I believe, if you are a history buff, this place is a must see. I don't recollect the name of the house though - you might want to get in touch with your nearest Goa Toursim office for more information.

2) Yes, as akroy had put it, Palolem beach is a must see. You can do the Madgaon-Canacona-Palolem Beach - Cabo De Rama (Fort) - Madgaon in half - a - day and its definetely worth it. Canacona can get crowded while Colva is relatively calm. The beach near Kenilworth at Utorda again is less crowded.

3) Getting a bike in Goa should not be a problem. You can choose between Pulsar 150s, Honda Activas and even bigger bikes like the Bullet. On the last day of the trip, we hired a bike for Rs 300/- and completed the Palolem - Cabo-De-Rama - Madgaon stretch. As far as car renting in Goa is concerned, you might check up with Hertz Rent - A - Car.

You can also refer the Times Goa Guide which is available for Rs 125/- or so.
PVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 11:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

I always thought Goa needed 4-5 days at a leisurely pace as I did it myself driving from mumbai, never thought of a weekend trip to goa

Which resort have you booked in and what rates have you negotiated. Did you take a 3 days 2 nights package ??

Quote:
We're planning a trip to Goa next weekend. Acco and travel have been reserved already (stay at a resort not far from Anjuna and Baga beaches).

Last edited by dadu : 20th January 2008 at 11:11.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 11:20   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
and please dont miss brittos its a shack on anjuna beach i am not sure, the food there is out of this world
Actually, Britto's is at one end of Baga beach. Another great place to eat is Souza Lobo's at Calangute. Ingo's saturday night bazaar at Arpora is definitely worth a visit too.
ajitkommini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 13:49   #9
BHPian

Thanks to all of you for the extremely valuable inputs. I am a foodie and will definitely check out the recommended joints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I always thought Goa needed 4-5 days at a leisurely pace as I did it myself driving from mumbai, never thought of a weekend trip to goa

Which resort have you booked in and what rates have you negotiated. Did you take a 3 days 2 nights package ??
I have taken Friday off, so that gives me three days. And I have a timeshare at Sterling Resorts. Unfortunately Sterling is closed for renovation and they have given us alternative acco at Mellorosa resorts. Sterling was bang on the beach; Mellorosa is a bit away.