Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 10th July 2017, 08:19   #211
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoss View Post
1. From Velankanni to Tanjavur, is the route via Mannargudi still the best option?
I think so too. Crossing 3 railways lines and the town traffic of Nidamanagalm along the narrow roads may just tire you out. Thiruthuraipoondi+Mannargudi should be a better option. (But please note I have not take that stretch myself. Hence would be unable to tell you right condition)

Quote:
2. What is the best route to Poondi Basilica from Tanjavur? Gmaps shows 3 routes viz
(a) regular Trichy route and turn right at Sengipatty
(b) via Pillaiyarnatham, Chitrakudi and Budalur
(c) via Thiruvaiyaru, Sathanur
Thiruvaiyaru is the better option. But please note once you reach that town and are getting ready to enter SH22, you will be raided by a barrage of trucks. The State Highway 22 sees a lot of truck traffic.

Quote:
3. From Trichy to Pollachi, which route I should take, via Karur, Dharapuram or Dindigul, Palani? Only consideration is good roads.
Yes thats the best option.

- Drive till Karur on 67. Good thing it gets to NH7 way beyond Karur town. -
- Then drive till Arvakurichi and exit to Dharapuram.
- Crossing Dharapuram is easier than Udumalpet.

Roads are good all over. But you need to carry food. Dont expect much till Dharapuram. And Dharapuram also expect bare minimum. Dont remember seeing any good places. But things may have changed off late.

Last edited by ampere : 12th July 2017 at 07:26. Reason: Typo fixed
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 13:04   #212

Hi,

I am planning to drive to Velankanni from Bangalore in 2 days. What is the condition of the roads and the best route. Appreciate any responses on it. Thanks, Ashish
ashishjose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2017, 13:39   #213

This posting is for commuters traveling to Velankanni. I took Bangalore->Salem-Namakkal-->Trichy--> Tanjavur --> Mannarguddi--> Velankanni.

Road condition from Bangalore to Nammakkal on NH-44 is nice and one can clip 100 KMPH. From Nammakkal to Trichy the state highway -25 is a single road but in a much better condition than Bangalore's pothole ridden roads. Over taking is an issue due to slow moving tractors, local buses and bike riders not giving way. No wonder that the TN registered vehicles have such high-powered horns! After an hour and half, you are back on Trichy 2 lane high way. Enroute to Trichy, you will pass the bridge over Cauvery river and it is a treat to see the river bed- brimming in water rather than just mud. We stopped for Meals / Lunch at Hotel Mayaas. It is right on the Karur bye-pass road comes on your left, nice parking place to park your car and treat yourself for a nice south Indian veg meals.

From Trichy, we took the NH-83 to Tanjavur. Nice road to drive only spoilt by the frequent barricades put up by the police. Stay on NH-83, bye-pass Tanjavur, shortly, the road to Mannarguddi is a single lane, but very well maintained upto Mannarguddi. Post Mannarguddi the road is not that great but yet it is still better than Bangalore road! It is a bit tiring due to slow moving local vehicles and goats / cows crossing the road. It takes an hour and half to reach Thirupoondi, post that the road is good all the way till Velankanni.

As per Google Map- From start point at home in HBRR L/O started at 7.09 AM, stopover at ShriKrishna for breakfast just after Hosur at 9.11 AM for 30 Mins break, Stopover at Hotel Mayaas for Lunch at 13.14 TO 13.56 PM, Reached Clinton Park Inn at 16.59. A 9 hour comfortable journey in my Toyota Fortunner.

Last edited by ampere : 21st October 2017 at 15:51. Reason: Formatted for better readabilty
cerk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2017, 23:01   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerk View Post
This posting is for commuters traveling to Velankanni. I took Bangalore->Salem-Namakkal-->Trichy--> Tanjavur --> Mannarguddi--> Velankanni.

Road condition from Bangalore to Nammakkal on NH-44 is nice and one can clip 100 KMPH. From Nammakkal to Trichy the state highway -25 is a single road but in a much better condition than Bangalore's pothole ridden roads. Over taking is an issue due to slow moving tractors, local buses and bike riders not giving way. No wonder that the TN registered vehicles have such high-powered horns! After an hour and half, you are back on Trichy 2 lane high way. Enroute to Trichy, you will pass the bridge over Cauvery river and it is a treat to see the river bed- brimming in water rather than just mud. We stopped for Meals / Lunch at Hotel Mayaas. It is right on the Karur bye-pass road comes on your left, nice parking place to park your car and treat yourself for a nice south Indian veg meals.

From Trichy, we took the NH-83 to Tanjavur. Nice road to drive only spoilt by the frequent barricades put up by the police. Stay on NH-83, bye-pass Tanjavur, shortly, the road to Mannarguddi is a single lane, but very well maintained upto Mannarguddi. Post Mannarguddi the road is not that great but yet it is still better than Bangalore road! It is a bit tiring due to slow moving local vehicles and goats / cows crossing the road. It takes an hour and half to reach Thirupoondi, post that the road is good all the way till Velankanni.

As per Google Map- From start point at home in HBRR L/O started at 7.09 AM, stopover at ShriKrishna for breakfast just after Hosur at 9.11 AM for 30 Mins break, Stopover at Hotel Mayaas for Lunch at 13.14 TO 13.56 PM, Reached Clinton Park Inn at 16.59. A 9 hour comfortable journey in my Toyota Fortunner.
RETURN Journey: Took the same route for my return journey back to Bangalore. i.e Velankanni->Mannarguddi->Tanjavur->Trichy->Musiri->Namakkal->Salem->Bangalore. Absolutely good road all along the way with some exception from Velankannni to Mannarguddi. We left Velankanni at 6.20 AM and after 2 hours drive we were at A2B restaurant( just after Tanjavur 2 lane toll road. This place has fairly well maintained rest rooms. Sufficient car parking space and it is right next to the highway Traffic was starting to build up after we crossed Salem. More than 10 min's waiting in Q at all the toll plaza's. Keep atleast 20 bucks of coins..you will need it at these toll-gates. Lot of options for lunch break at Krishnagiri stretch including A2B and Saravana bhavan. We chose to drive on and reached Bangalore at 3.30 PM.
cerk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2017, 10:29   #215

Hi,

Just completed my road trip to Velankanni. Find below the route I took.

Sarjapur Road - Hosur - Salem- Attur - Virudhachalam - Kumbakonam - Velankanni.

Road Conditions:
4 lane highway till Virudhachalam (In between there were stretches of 2 lanes while crossing bridges). Could attain triple digit speeds easily.

Virdhachalam - Kumbakonam - 2 lane with 10-15 km with pot holes one side. One side would have potholes while the other did not have and as there was not traffic, I drove on the other side to avoid the potholes. Can go between 70-110 km/hr

Kumbakonam - Velankanni - Narrow roads going through towns but no traffic which meant I was doing 60- 80km/hr

I relied on Google Maps.

Not a lot of options for lunch. There is an A2B in Attur on the other side. We stopped at Kumbakonam for lunch.

We started at 7.20am from Bangalore and reached Velankanni at 3.20pm. We had a 40mts lunc break in between. Google Maps stated 9hr 5mts at the start but it took us 8 hrs with the lunch break.

Last edited by ampere : 23rd October 2017 at 10:48.
ashishjose is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2018, 22:58   #216
BHPian

Any recent updates on Velankanni roads from Bangalore?
Bibin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2018, 22:13   #217
Senior - BHPian

I travelled to Velankanni during Christmas holidays via Kumbakonam, Thiruvaru, Nagapatinam.

Most of the road conditions remains same as in previous posts.
Thiruvarur to Nagapatinam road conditions are average and pot holes are there for ages. Nothing much changed.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote