Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2012, 20:15   #46
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 109
Thanked: 30 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Just to update after a recent trip to this part of the country:

Tanjore - Nagapattanam section is all patched up and does not have any pot holes. Road surface is uneven because of the patching work but very comfortable to drive.
Best route is Trichy bypass ---> tanjore -->tanjore bypass --> Thiruvarur (again simple bypass) ---> nagapattinam ---> Velankanni. NH 67 is a decent four lane although still not completed till Thuvakudi but managable. From Tanjore decent 2 lane road (NH standards) all the way till Vellankanni.
ravigop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 17:39   #47
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,724
Thanked: 204 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Planning a trip to Velankanni sometime in Aug/Sept this year and on reading this thread, I have decided on the following route.

Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Musri - Trichy - Tanjore - Nagapattinam - Velankani

I read that some road work is currently being undertaken so I am hoping everything will have been completed by Aug/Sept.

I have a question thought - what is the approximate time taken on this route to reach Velankanni?
gpa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 18:55   #48
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa
I read that some road work is currently being undertaken so I am hoping everything will have been completed by Aug/Sept.
Instead of Musiri you should take the route via Thuraiyur. That should take you to the Trichy bypass directly and hence should let you latch on to the Tanjore four lane road.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 19:40   #49
BHPian
 
Harshavarthan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: TN 65
Posts: 299
Thanked: 101 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa
I read that some road work is currently being undertaken so I am hoping everything will have been completed by Aug/Sept.
These road works are going on for more than 5 years now and I'm 100% sure, it will not be over by the time you plan to drive.
Harshavarthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 22:38   #50
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 799
Thanked: 371 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Planning a trip to Velankanni sometime in Aug/Sept this year and on reading this thread, I have decided on the following route.

Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namakkal - Musri - Trichy - Tanjore - Nagapattinam - Velankani

I read that some road work is currently being undertaken so I am hoping everything will have been completed by Aug/Sept.

I have a question thought - what is the approximate time taken on this route to reach Velankanni?
After Namakkal, take Thuraiyur route ( as ampere said - refer to B'lore-Trichy thread for full details) to reach Trichy.

B'lore to Trichy can take approx. 6 hours with break.
Trichy - Tanjore - approx 45 mts max.
Tanjore - Velankannai - may be around 3 hours.

So plan for 10 hrs drive.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 14:50   #51
BHPian
 
Rasputin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 48
Thanked: 5 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Did Bangalore to Velankanni along with my wife and 2 year old child. Here are some pointers:

Onward journey - Took Bangalore- Hosur-Salem- Namakkal- Musiri- Trichi- Tanjavoor - Nagapattanam- Velankanni . We started by about 5:15AM from Bangalore and reached Velanakanni by 2PM ,with 2 short pit stops and one Lunch break near Nagapattnam. The condition of the road from Namakkal to Musiri was bad, with uneven tarring, pothholes and mud roads in some sections . The highlight was Trichi- Tanjavoor section, which has great 4 lane toll roads.

Return Journey- decided to avoid the Musiri route and drove to Thurayoor from Truchi -Google navigation provided the right directions. This was a very scenic route with good roads and less traffic. Started from Velankanni by 11:30AM and reached Whitefield by 8:30PM, again with a lunch break in Thurayoor and 2 pit stops.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 22:46   #52
BHPian
 
sandeep3in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 196
Thanked: 42 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Can somebody guide on the route to velankanni from Bangalore .

I heard of the route through thuraiyur to reach trichy , do we need to reach Namakkal to reach thuraiyur ? Google maps showed me 2 routes to thuraiyur one is through Namkkal and other is through salem --->valapadi--->Thuraiyur.

Please suggest based on time/good roads.

Thanks in Advance
sandeep3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 22:56   #53
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,454 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Can somebody guide on the route to velankanni from Bangalore .

I heard of the route through thuraiyur to reach trichy , do we need to reach Namakkal to reach thuraiyur ? Google maps showed me 2 routes to thuraiyur one is through Namkkal and other is through salem --->valapadi--->Thuraiyur.

Please suggest based on time/good roads.

Thanks in Advance
- Trichy - Thuraiyur you need to cover any way
- From Thuraiyur you can either goto Vazapadi or Namakkal and then from either of these places to Salem.
- But I would suggest you to take the Namakkal option. From Namakkal its a 4-lane
- Check Bangalore-Trichy thread on the latest about Trichy-Namakkal.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 14:09   #54
SBR
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 54 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Planning a trip this September from Bangalore to Nagapattinam (Nagore to be specific).

My ride - Ritz VDI
Occupants - Me, Wifey & my 4 year old daughter.

Which is the best route to take. I would like to avoid a longer route & prefer a shorter route.

advise.
SBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 14:15   #55
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,454 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Which is the best route to take. I would like to avoid a longer route & prefer a shorter route.
Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Trichy - Tanjore-Thrivarur-Nagapattaam

Thats the shortest. At Namakkal you need to get into the town and ask for Thuraiyur.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 17:30   #56
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras,Modena
Posts: 837
Thanked: 422 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Bangalore-Salem-Namakkal-Thuraiyur-Trichy - Tanjore-Thrivarur-Nagapattaam

Thats the shortest. At Namakkal you need to get into the town and ask for Thuraiyur.
No need to go via Thuraiyur. straightforward Namakkal-Thottiyam-Musiri-Tollgate route is reported to be in great condition by someone who drove last weekend.

One you reach tollgate, take a left at the 4-way intersection and right on the NH45 bypass and catch Thanjavur road from bypass.

Thanjavur-Nagapattianm is patchy but doable.

Another alternate route would be to do Bangalore-Salem-Ulundurpet-Vriddachalam. But am not aware of conditions of roads connecting Vriddachalam and ECR. VW2010 and Sridhar K are the best people to comment about it.
narayans80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 18:26   #57
SBR
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 218
Thanked: 54 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
No need to go via Thuraiyur. straightforward Namakkal-Thottiyam-Musiri-Tollgate route is reported to be in great condition by someone who drove last weekend.

One you reach tollgate, take a left at the 4-way intersection and right on the NH45 bypass and catch Thanjavur road from bypass.

Thanjavur-Nagapattianm is patchy but doable.

.
What will be the distance if I take the above route and can you help me with any pit stops where I can stop for food & refreshments.

Also, is the Toll Gate after Musiri? and how far from Musiri is the Toll Gate?

Await your inputs.
SBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 18:28   #58
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,786
Thanked: 7,454 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
What will be the distance if I take the above route and can you help me with any pit stops where I can stop for food & refreshments.
Best pit stop I would recommend is Salem or before (A2B at Dharmapuri, Park Plaza, Grand Estacia at Salem etc) . Do note as per what Ranjitp1 mentioned, Grand Estacia (formerly a GRT property) is now no more a GRT property.

My details on Thuraiyur route option were limited to the Bangalore-Trichy thread, where many were still recommending the Thuraiyur option.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 20:08   #59
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 301
Thanked: 96 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Best pit stop I would recommend is Salem or before (A2B at Dharmapuri, Park Plaza, Grand Estacia at Salem etc) . Do note as per what Ranjitp1 mentioned, Grand Estacia (formerly a GRT property) is now no more a GRT property.

My details on Thuraiyur route option were limited to the Bangalore-Trichy thread, where many were still recommending the Thuraiyur option.
Still Namakkal-Thottiyam-Musiri was in bad shape (as of three weeks back and there is no sign of road repairs at that time), though Musiri-Trichy in good shape. Not sure, if any repair work carried out in last two-three weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
Also, is the Toll Gate after Musiri? and how far from Musiri is the Toll Gate?
Await your inputs.
Toll gate (also called Samayapuram Tollgate) is a junction you'll get just before trichy if you go via Musiri route or Thuraiyur route.
From Tollgate you have to take the 4 lane roads (Chennai-Trichy highway) towards Trichy and within 4-5 KMs, you will see the exit on your left for Tanjore.

Last edited by nfsfreak : 4th July 2013 at 20:09.
nfsfreak is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 20:17   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Madras,Modena
Posts: 837
Thanked: 422 Times
Default re: Bangalore to Velankanni : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
What will be the distance if I take the above route and can you help me with any pit stops where I can stop for food & refreshments.

Also, is the Toll Gate after Musiri? and how far from Musiri is the Toll Gate?

Await your inputs.
Bangalore-Salem 200 km
Salem-Trichy 126 km
Trichy-Thanjavur 55 km
Thanjavur-Nagore 100 km

Tollgate aka Number 1 Tollgate is a Trichy suburb where the road from Namakkal (SH25) ends and intersects with Madras-Trichy trunk road and the road towards Lalgudi-Chidambaram. Musiri is a town between Namakkal and Trichy, 50km from Namakkal and 26km from Trichy.
----
nfsfreak, this guy went this Sunday and literally surprised me with this news on Monday. I was recommending him the Thuraiyur route before he left telling how depressing Musiri Thottiyam has become.
narayans80 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Route and Road Condition : Bangalore to Kodaikanal to Velankanni CJP Route / Travel Queries 192 28th November 2016 10:28
Chennai to Velankanni : Route Queries Surprise Route / Travel Queries 70 28th November 2016 02:56
Kottayam to Velankanni : Route Queries Mohan Mathew A Route / Travel Queries 93 7th June 2016 11:09
Travelogue: Bangalore-Pondicherry-Velankanni-Bangalore kirantp Travelogues 14 9th January 2012 20:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:23.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks