Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 4th April 2016, 21:43   #271
BHPian

Default Re: A Guide on Essentials of a Long Drive

I travelled Pune-Nagpur-Pune a few months back. For navigation I usually prefer google maps on my cell phone (The route view, not the navigation view)
However, during this trip, my map app crashed and I had a hard time getting it back to work again. Reason: No connectivity.

Recently I stumbled upon heremaps. The best thing is that it can be configured to run totally in offline mode (including search)
I haven't made any long journey after that but from the city trials I can vouch it seems promising.

Available for android as well as iPhone
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...app.maps&hl=en
https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/here...955837609?mt=8
RedTerrano is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 23:56   #272
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Here maps are essentially Nokia communicator maps. During nokia's prime days in smartphone segment, they were available but not so popular for many reasons. But my friend then found that its offline capability and updated highway details were quite sufficient in Delhi and surroundings. Later we used the Nokia maps on our European trip in France and Germany. Just simply downloaded the offline content of the country we traveled and viola offline maps worked. Since Nokia's fall, these maps have appeared as Here maps and they are still the same. Now comparing Here maps , maoquest etc vs Google maps, the latter allows users to define new businesses and address locations and thus allows everyone to participate in enriching the map content but likewise does Here maps allow content enhancement ? I don't know. The lack of business addresses, marking of prime locations etc on Here maps and MapQuest as well, makes them appear poor in content compared to Google maps
cs_rajesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2016, 17:12   #273
BHPian

[/quote] After having tried almost all navigation apps on App store I think in terms of offline capability Here Maps perform better than MMI( I bought MMI India app called Navi Maps which is pain to use). Even offline Sygic maps powered by TomTom are equally good but there Ad reminders are again pain. Google is good and detailed but Here maps are more accurate. I have installed Here maps on my Redmi 2 Prime phone ( the phone is specifically bought for Navigation and backup). MMI and Sygic on IPhone are used sparsely . Google maps are common on both phones.
dinesh6481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 23:11   #274
BANNED

Few things I would like to keep in the car for all travels are:

1. A nice soft towel
2. 2-3 One lit water bottles.
3. A powerful torch (preferably Maglite or Mr. Light)
4. Spare bulbs
5. Make sure all headlights are functioning (especially when you start the vehicle during the daylight and planning to come in the night)
agbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2016, 23:32   #275
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Hyderabad to Chikmagalur : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdan View Post
I did more R&D at the hotel to chalk a better route and finally decided to head in the opposite direction towards Tumkur and then take the NH back to Anantapur. This route as again longer but much better roads throughout.
Please note: A last minute long distance routing via Google is not something I would advice unless you are very well aware about the geography of the location.

Else it surely has the potential to lead you into trouble. Items like road conditions, break options, food and supplies etc.

And all the above become even more important when you are with family.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote