Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2008, 22:14   #1
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: India
Posts: 1,745
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Cochin to chidambaram- please help

need to travel to chidambaram from cochin

plan to take the following route

cochin>palghat>coimbatore>avanashi>perundurai>bhav ani>salem>
talaivasal>siruppakkam>veppur>vridhachalam>chidamb aram.

all this from google maps. distance is not a problem. but good roads would be nice. have been hearing horror stories about the coimbatore salem stretch. how bad is it?

and beyond salem, i have no idea.

I am planning to spread the trip over 2 days. hope to reach chidambaram by evening of the 2nd.

please help guys.

or is it better to go via cochin>muvattupuzha>madurai> trichy>chidambaram?
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 22:55   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,350
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

coimbatore - salem is being 4 laned. So expect bad roads, heavy traffic, absence of shoulders.

I'm not sure from there on till vridhachalam. Vridhachalam to Chidambaram should be ok.

Hope Cochin - Palghat is ok now. `
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 23:04   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 325
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Hi rippergo,

Cochin - Coimbatore - Salem - Namakkal - Tiruchy - Tanjavoor - Kumbakonam - Mayavaram - Chidambaram Best route . I am suggesting this route because Virudachalam route is pretty bad and I would not suggest that.
rrnsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 23:09   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 325
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Coimbatore Salem is pretty bad as it is NH47 (Coimbatore , Avinashi, Perundurai , Sithode, Bhavani , Salem ) and lorry traffic . The roads are OK , but too much traffic. Salem Namakal is reasonably good. Namakal Tiruchy is good. Tiruchy Tanjavoor Kumbakonam is excellent roads ( But some roads go through villages , with houses on either side of the road , so please drive carefully - Slowly ) . Kumbakonam - Mayavaram is two lane but not much traffic ( Again roads pass right through villages and towns with houses right on the road side. Careful driving is needed ) . Mayavaram to chidambaram is nice winding roads through lush green paddy fields through Sirkazi .

All the roads I have mentioned above are good roads, but when I say , reasonably good, good , excellent, I mean the traffic conditions.

This route will also give you a glimpse of true blue tamil culture and lifestyle and you get good food along the way. There are also some Great temples (The big temple in Tanjavoor being a prime example ) .


No need to go through madurai. That is just way too long for no reason. Best thing to do is start really early and halt first day in Tiruchy . From Tiruchy , Chidambaram is 4 hours.

Last edited by rrnsss : 28th January 2008 at 23:15.
rrnsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 23:17   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
need to travel to chidambaram from cochin


or is it better to go via cochin>muvattupuzha>madurai> trichy>chidambaram?
This is a good route, go on NH49 from Kochi to Muvattupuzha, Munnar, Bodi, Theni, Dindigul, Pudukottai, Kumbakonam, Mayavaram to Chidambaram. Alternatively, you can go from Munnar to Udumalaipet and reach Trichy via Dharapuram, Karur and Musiri.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 23:26   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 325
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Sir, my only concern about the madurai route is that from cochin , you go down south , cross into TN , then slightly come up all the way to kumbakonam , and again head south to mayavaram and again turn north 35 Km to Chidambaram. The ideal route would be through Virudachalam but the last time I did that belt , the roads were atrocious (that was in my judo 4x4 ) .

I have never crossed into TN from KL through Bodi. I hear that it is picturesque.
rrnsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 23:30   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Sir, my only concern about the madurai route is that from cochin , you go down south , cross into TN , then slightly come up all the way to kumbakonam , and again head south to mayavaram and again turn north 35 Km to Chidambaram. The ideal route would be through Virudachalam but the last time I did that belt , the roads were atrocious (that was in my judo 4x4 ) .

I have never crossed into TN from KL through Bodi. I hear that it is picturesque.
Actually, this is quite a direct route and the roads are good most of the way (can't think of any bad stretch). Yes, it is quite a picturesque route, but except for the Bodi-Theni-Periakulam stretch, landscape is nothing to write about.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2008, 23:41   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 325
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Rippergo > If you need good places to eat in Mayavaram , ask me. I hail from a village 18 Km south of Mayavaram. If you need to know places to stay etc , I can suggest some too. Both Mayavaram and Chidambaram (not counting annamalai uty ) are small towns .
rrnsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 06:48   #9
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: India
Posts: 1,745
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Coimbatore Salem is pretty bad as it is NH47 (Coimbatore , Avinashi, Perundurai , Sithode, Bhavani , Salem ) and lorry traffic . The roads are OK , but too much traffic. Salem Namakal is reasonably good. Namakal Tiruchy is good. Tiruchy Tanjavoor Kumbakonam is excellent roads ( But some roads go through villages , with houses on either side of the road , so please drive carefully - Slowly ) . Kumbakonam - Mayavaram is two lane but not much traffic ( Again roads pass right through villages and towns with houses right on the road side. Careful driving is needed ) . Mayavaram to chidambaram is nice winding roads through lush green paddy fields through Sirkazi .

All the roads I have mentioned above are good roads, but when I say , reasonably good, good , excellent, I mean the traffic conditions.

This route will also give you a glimpse of true blue tamil culture and lifestyle and you get good food along the way. There are also some Great temples (The big temple in Tanjavoor being a prime example ) .


No need to go through madurai. That is just way too long for no reason. Best thing to do is start really early and halt first day in Tiruchy . From Tiruchy , Chidambaram is 4 hours.
very detailed instructions, thank you rrnsss. I dont mind the traffic, but I hate battering my suspension.but if it has to be done, it has to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
This is a good route, go on NH49 from Kochi to Muvattupuzha, Munnar, Bodi, Theni, Dindigul, Pudukottai, Kumbakonam, Mayavaram to Chidambaram. Alternatively, you can go from Munnar to Udumalaipet and reach Trichy via Dharapuram, Karur and Musiri.
oh boy! I have to try both the routes

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
Rippergo > If you need good places to eat in Mayavaram , ask me. I hail from a village 18 Km south of Mayavaram. If you need to know places to stay etc , I can suggest some too. Both Mayavaram and Chidambaram (not counting annamalai uty ) are small towns .
actually i'm going to the annamalai uty for an exam. and it looks like I'll be doing this trip frequently. so I will try both rrnsss and hvkumar's route.
will do hvkumar's route on the return, as I will have more time for pics.

@csentil- thanks for the elaboration on the CBE salem route. I have asked many people what the problem with it is, but everyone said its bad, with no explanation. after reading your opinion I think i can handle it.

thanks guys, the quick response to my queries is heartening.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 07:40   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: chennai
Posts: 757
Thanked: 299 Times
Default

another route between trichy and chidambaram is via jayamkondam, minsurutti. this route should be shorter than the tanjore, kumbakonam route and traffic should be lighter too.

i will let you know about the road conditions by today evening.

regards
tifosi.
tifosikrishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 08:00   #11
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: India
Posts: 1,745
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

@tifosi-
saw that route on the map. thanks for your interest in helping me out.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 11:44   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,045
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Is the Salem Attur road done now...it was so bad that even the "Chennai - Salem/Coimbatore/Kerala omni buses stopped using that road instead going via Krishnagiri....
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2008, 16:27   #13
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 386
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

Hi ,Ideal Route,
Kochi-kottayam-theni-dindigul-trichy-perambalur-cuddalore-chidambaram.
PRADEEP KUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 16:21   #14
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: India
Posts: 1,745
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

did the trip last week.
went via
cochin-CBE-thiruchancode-namakkal-trichy-kumbakonam-mayavaram-chidambaram.
roads were good throughout, but total distance travelled was 100km more than the direct route.

the Direct route
chidambaram-vridhachalam-salem-CBE-cochin
chidambaram to vridhachalam is a narrow 1.5 lane road, but an entertaining drive. roads have been patched up in this section, but craters do pop up now and then. slalom maneuvers at a 100kmph is what i thought was entertaining.

about 10km past vridhachalam the road turns bad, for the next 30 kms, but still able to do 70-80kmph(I was punishing the suspension) after that section- it was smooth sailing to cochin

the coimabtore salem section was fun. traffic was heavy, but overtaking was simply not an issue in the pete's swift. would like to do that section again. have started a travelogue for the trip here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...tml#post725109 (Cochin-Chidambaram-Pondicherry and back)
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Driven: Bangalore - Trichy - Tanjore - Kumbakonam - Velankanni - Chidambaram pramodpk Travelogues 5 19th September 2014 12:20
Trichy Chidambaram by road mogambo Route / Travel Queries 4 18th December 2013 22:59
Chennai - Pondy- Chidambaram Trip with photos narayan Travelogues 3 29th January 2011 11:01
Cochin-Chidambaram-Pondicherry and back rippergeo Travelogues 7 26th February 2008 22:12
P Chidambaram is letting me buy the car now. Samurai The Indian Car Scene 14 11th March 2005 17:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:33.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks