Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 11th February 2008, 12:28   #1
BHPian

Default delhi - kasauli - alternate route

so I'm off to kasauli this weekend for a break ... when i went last yr the road from abala to chandigarh was HORRIBLE to say the least one lane undivided highway and a lot of construction ...is there an alternate route to miss most if not all of this construction, the aim of the time off is to relax and not get worked up in traffic. Thanks all

cheers:

I saw this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...onditions.html (Delhi to Kalka - current road conditions)
but i need latest info Thanks much

Last edited by whatcanthisbe : 11th February 2008 at 12:30.
whatcanthisbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2008, 13:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

the alternate route is

Delhi -- Panipat -- Karnal -- Pipli -- NarayanGarh -- Panchkula -- Pinjore -- Kalka -- Parwanoo -- Kasauli.

though never travelled using thsi route but heard about it.

Please check google for exact distances or wait for our other members to arrive.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:20   #3
BHPian

I am headed up to kasauli on tuesday for a break any update on the roadwork past ambala ? any updates on the route

i guess i will have to catch suman or the other delhi / ncr members today at the meet
Old 23rd May 2008, 13:42   #4
Senior - BHPian

The latest that I've heard is that there is a severe water shortage due to the collapse of the main water tank..

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatcanthisbe View Post
I am headed up to kasauli on tuesday for a break any update on the roadwork past ambala ? any updates on the route

i guess i will have to catch suman or the other delhi / ncr members today at the meet
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 14:44   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I went on that route last month when I traveled from Delhi to Simla and back. Although road work was going on, it wasn't a problem past Ambala. There was a lot of traffic at Zirkpur (spell ?). The road around Kalka was pathetic specially the stretch between Kalka and Parwanoo. The moment we entered HP, roads were fantastic.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 15:23   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post
I went on that route last month when I traveled from Delhi to Simla and back. Although road work was going on, it wasn't a problem past Ambala. There was a lot of traffic at Zirkpur (spell ?). The road around Kalka was pathetic specially the stretch between Kalka and Parwanoo. The moment we entered HP, roads were fantastic.
what time did you travel ?
Old 23rd May 2008, 15:24   #7
Team-BHP Support

Agree with honda dude, the road work is on, but situation has improved now, and unless you hit the stretch during morning or evening rush hour, you should be okay.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 15:27   #8
BHPian

plan to leave s delhi about 5 am stop for bfast at karnal, expect it to be a 45 min stop with a child and all and then nonstop till chandigarh where i meet up with few frnds who'll come with ... i am guessing this timing would be okay ?
Old 23rd May 2008, 15:31   #9
Team-BHP Support

Well this means you will land up at zirakpur around 9am, which can be a bad time(unless its a holiday).
Why not take a snack and start at 5am, and then meetup with friends at dharampur after kalka and have good breakfast(9am) at Giyani ka dhaba.
But watchout once you enter haryana, do not go above 90kmph as the speed guns are out by 6:30am.
The Challan is 400rs
Old 23rd May 2008, 15:43   #10
BHPian

ouch .6:30 Am ...where are the speed guns i know in / around karnal are their fav spots where else? also stoping at karnal for breakfast kind of important as i'll have my 2.5 yr old with me and she'll be up / hungry by 7 ish. I'll be stopping at dhalli too for a bottle of cold beer and some chicken achar though.
Old 23rd May 2008, 16:01   #11
Team-BHP Support

1. Be careful when you just enter Haryana and there is a very wide road
2. Before and after karnal
3. Just after Ambala.

They have 2 vehicles, one for each way.
So if you cross the checkpost, you are safe ahead.
Now where will they stand? Well thats anybody's guess, so keep your eyes peeled to the side of the road.
And if you start at 5am you will hit karnal around 7.
Old 23rd May 2008, 16:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Expect a huge traffic jam around Pinjore and Kalka due to horrible roads(non existent i must say).It took me one hour to cover 7kms....Wonder what would be the condition after the heavy rains this week...Huge pile of trucks also slows down the traffic.. Once into HP it will be smooth cruising....
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 17:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what time did you travel ?
I started from Delhi at 7:00 am so was at Zirakpur at around noon.

BTW, you probably already know that, but there is a good food court a few kms after Karnal (it comes on your right when you are traveling north). I forgot the name but the place has McDonalds, Baskin Robbins etc. While we prefer Dhaba food to these food courts, our stops were governed by our 2.5 year old daughter . She had a great time playing in the toy train at McD and eating ice cream.

Also timber trail at Parwanoo is a great place to stop (again keeping kids in mind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Why not take a snack and start at 5am, and then meetup with friends at dharampur after kalka and have good breakfast(9am) at Giyani ka dhaba.
That's pretty ambitious with a 2.5 year old.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2008, 19:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude View Post

That's pretty ambitious with a 2.5 year old.
Exactly we may put her in the car while she is sleeping at 5 am so it'll geve some driving time without stopping she'll prolly be up by 7 am and want to eat so 7ish at karnal either karna lake if the ducks are out or then the place you said, it's rie next to karna lake, after that should be pretty set for 2-3 hrs should make chandigarh and then a 30 min break and then off again 2 hrs (keeping my fingers crossed) to Kasauli or the turn off for kasauli, am staying at baikunth....
Old 23rd May 2008, 19:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
They have 2 vehicles, one for each way.
So if you cross the checkpost, you are safe ahead.
so essentially as soon as i enter HR , Kundli and all and pass a interceptor i'm good all the way thorugh ?
i know things could have changed but just asking, the karnal one i have heard from a couple of friends

cant wait for this break quit my job, found a new job, first holiday with my lil one, my first Team-bhp Meet

Last edited by whatcanthisbe : 23rd May 2008 at 19:18.