Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 19th February 2008, 08:44   #1

Default Calicut to Hyderabad driving directions

Hi Everyone,

I would like you to help me with a journey from Calicut to Hyderabad. I am familiar with the route Calicut- Gundulpet-Mysore- Srirangapattana- Bengaluru. I require the following clarifications:-
Is there a way for me to get to NH 7 from NH 212 by avoiding traffic in Bengaluru ? I was given to understand that I can get to bypass Bengaluru if I take the route Srirangapattana – Nagalmangala- Kunilgal- Nelamangala- Dodaballapur-Chikaballapur and thereon to Anantapur. How is this Route?
Is there any other route which I could take to bypass Bengaluru ?
Considering that I leave Calicut by 6 am I would reach Mysore by 10 am. When could I get past AP border if i take the Kunigal route?
Which is the good place to halt for the night on the route Bagepalli- Anantapur- Gooty?

Cheers,
Manu

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th February 2008 at 10:37.
kkmanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 10:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Manu,

While Bangaloreans are more compettent to reply to you on the route bypassing their city (the Nelamangala-Dodballapur section), may be the route from Srirangapatna to Channarayapatna via K R Pet is a better option than Nagamangala. The K R Pet road had a few bad sections a couple of months ago, but that should be faster way to reach NH48.

In case you are looking for some new ideas to reach Ananthapur (instead of NH7 via Bangalore), you can go from Channarayapatna to Tumkur via Kibbenahalli, take NH4 from there towards Chitradurga, and turn off at Hiriyur to Challakere. From Challakere, you can reach Penukonda on NH7 via Roddham. This road is not the fastest but may be the shortest for you.

Ideally, Ananthapur is a good halt for the night.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 11:10   #3
abn

hi,

can you tell me the route from mysore to calicut , i am planning to travel next week. what about road condition?

Thanks
abn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2008, 20:56   #4

Default Mysore to Calicut

Dear abn,
The distance from Mysore to Calicut is about 217 Kms about 5 Hrs normal speed and will take you through Western Ghats. Its best to drive on this route during daytime because you can soak in the sights. Directions :- Drive on Mysore Ooty Road ,a two way all weather road ,Mysore - Nanjangud 22 kms ,Nanjangud Gundulpet 50 kms. This stretch of road is almost ramrod straight and in fair condition .Take a right turn at Gundulpet Town . This is a prominent turn next to the police station. Keep a good lookout for this turn else you may miss it and head for Ooty from where you can also get another route to Calicut via Malappuram district. Gudulpet - Muthanga 30 kms is where you get to the Kerala border. This stretch is the only bad stretch on which patchwork repairs were being carried out a month back. You will get to see Bandipur Reserve Forest and if you are lucky some wildlife enroute. Once you are across to Kerala the roads are excellent but narrow & winding keep a sharp lookout. In Kerala you are in Wayanad District .You can halt at Hotel Regency at Sultan Bhathery a decent budget hotel or get to any of the good resorts in and around the place . The Road from Sultan Bhathery - Kalpetta- Vythiri is dotted with resorts. At Vythiri you will start your decent from the Western Ghats after which you are in Calicut District.The distance from Sulthan Bhathery to Calicut is around 100 Kms.Hope this has answered your query.
Cheers
Manu
Old 19th February 2008, 20:58   #5

Dear Kumar,
THanks for the tip.
Cheers
Manu
Old 19th February 2008, 21:59   #6
BHPian

Default Bangalore byepass !

Sir,
Instead of Sri'patna - nagamangala - Kunigal route, I would prefer driving upto kengeri and taking the 6 lane NICE road upto nelamangala and diverting towards Dodabballapur and further onto NH7 ( joins near devanahalli ).

Please refer the following post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...tml#post726514 (Query: NICE Road - Bangalore)

Further on, the entire stretch of road from devanahalli to anantpur is being widened - please be aware of many lane diversions, single lane driving - though motorable.

Please get back for any clarifications.

Regards,
roamingrao
roamingrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 09:05   #7

Hi Rao,
Thanks for the tip. Have you been by this road? How much time would it take me from Kengeri, to Devanahalli on the NICE Road ?.
Cheers
Manu
Old 20th February 2008, 22:16   #8
BHPian

Default Bangalore Byepass

Hi,

It should take about 2 hours from Kengeri to Devanahalli ( 77 kms ) by the nelamangala route. I had taken 90 mins from Nelamangala to Devanahalli in a M800 last month. More details :

From mysore : past Bidadi, Rajarajeshwari hospital, climb left to NICE road after Bombay Rayon fashions - 16km to Tumkur road - 10 mins. NICE road ends.

Left at tumkur road junction - 11 kms to Nelamangala bye pass signal - 15 mins.

Turn right ( towards N'gala town ) at signal - 0.5km - left at circle ( auto and van stand ) - 400mts - right just after ' Thank you ' board - 30 kms to Doddaballapur ( 1 hour ). If in doubt, ask for madhure road. There are rough patches from km 10 to km 20 ( near madhure ) - can clock 60 - 70 km/hr.

Turn right at 'D' cross, dod'pur - towards b'lore, cross rly gate and proceed straight at junction ( just after rly gate ) beware right > bangalore ! From here Devanahalli is 20 km - 30 mins.

total : 77 kms, 115mins - can do better in a bigger vehicle.

You would need the same time, or probably more, to cross b'lore city ( say, at noon ) even if you take Kengeri - left to ring road ( left ramp up ), past kengeri satellite town, right at magadi road junction and left turn 1km later, right at Tumkur road junction and left next to Air Force Engineers office ) - past rly gate, BEL circle and left at hebbal flyover - yelahanka - right fork - devanahalli. - approx - 55 kms.

Please get back for any clarifications.

Regards,
Rao
Old 22nd February 2008, 09:51   #9
BHPian

I have done the Hyderabad-Calicut trip four times in the last 5 years - the last trip was close to two years back. I had taken a break in Bangalore for all trips except one ( when I broke Journey at Mysore after around 13 hours of driving ). That was the only time when I had to consider bypassing Bangalore - but eventually I decided to drfive through. I approached from NH7 and thankfully didnt get lost in the city - I could get to the Mysore road flyover fairly quickly. It was around 2 pm or so, the traffic was manageable and I was lucky. I could have taken the right turn at Hebbal flyover and tried to bypass the city, but I chose not to.

That was two years back, I am sure the traffic must be twice as bad now.

The NICE road option seems to be good - I dont know how much time you will ultimately save though. Once they complete the project ( the idea is to connect to the Devanahalli airport, isnt it? ), I guess things would be much smoother & quicker.

To the OP: if you are planning to skip bangalore and stay somewhere in the BLR-HYD route, Anantapur could be a good bet - there should be some decent places there I guess. Anantapur is around 200 Kms from BLR, so you might end up with driving around 550 km to reach there though.
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 13:22   #10
BHPian

I do not think NICE road is proposed to extend till Devanahalli - please correct me if i am wrong. It ends at Tumkur road. Even if there is a proposal / project for the same, work has not commenced. The only work that has started is 4 laning of Nelamangala - doddaballapur - devanahalli ( NH207 ) road - to divert lorries from entering B'lore.

Entering Bangalore would be like - riding on luck - any part of the day ! You could breeze past in 1 hour at 10 am or get stuck in a 2 km long queue just because of a minor incident at 3 pm - a stranded vehicle or a procession ! and all this on ring road ! we all keep our fingers crossed and keep no time schedules.

I have a different viewpoint on Anantpur. I once entered the city for breakfast at 10 am and spent 90 mins searching for a decent veg restaurant. Yes, i should have done my homework. Please be sure to have a hotel address and directions from the bye pass. There are no other city options in the route though !
Old 22nd February 2008, 19:58   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
I do not think NICE road is proposed to extend till Devanahalli - please correct me if i am wrong. It ends at Tumkur road. Even if there is a proposal / project for the same, work has not commenced. The only work that has started is 4 laning of Nelamangala - doddaballapur - devanahalli ( NH207 ) road - to divert lorries from entering B'lore.

Entering Bangalore would be like - riding on luck - any part of the day ! You could breeze past in 1 hour at 10 am or get stuck in a 2 km long queue just because of a minor incident at 3 pm - a stranded vehicle or a procession ! and all this on ring road ! we all keep our fingers crossed and keep no time schedules.

I have a different viewpoint on Anantpur. I once entered the city for breakfast at 10 am and spent 90 mins searching for a decent veg restaurant. Yes, i should have done my homework. Please be sure to have a hotel address and directions from the bye pass. There are no other city options in the route though !
Thanks for clarifying on the NICE road, roamingrao. And for Anantapur, I havent actually ventured into the city, but it looks to be the best bet in the HYD-BLR route.
Bigzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 12:41   #12
BHPian

Default Re: Calicut to Hyderabad driving directions

hi,

This thread is about 3 years old but still worth it as I am considering driving to Hyderabad from Calicut during this xmas.

I am thinking for driving upto Bangalore and staying there overnight and then starting from Bangalore at about 9 Am after breakfast. An earlier start seems difficult for a variety of reasons.

We are happy to skip Blore completely and park elsewhere for the night should experts suggest an alternate route/ city...

Kumar,
May I request you to suggest, not the shortest itenirary, but the optimum as I am with my spouse and son..
vu2pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 19:40   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc
hi,

This thread is about 3 years old but still worth it as I am considering driving to Hyderabad from Calicut during this xmas.

I am thinking for driving upto Bangalore and staying there overnight and then starting from Bangalore at about 9 Am after breakfast. An earlier start seems difficult for a variety of reasons.

We are happy to skip Blore completely and park elsewhere for the night should experts suggest an alternate route/ city...

Kumar,
May I request you to suggest, not the shortest itenirary, but the optimum as I am with my spouse and son..
Welcome to hyderabad to enjoy the winters!we drive hyderabad thrissur regularly!calicut to bangalore is the best option for day 1.and would take you around 8hrs.bangalore hyd is another 8hr drive.there are no places to stop for the night beyond bangalore.between blr and hyd ,places to stop for eating are just not there.if you leave by 9 from bangalore you should be crossing hyd airport by 5pm.Where in hyderabad are you headed to?feel free to pm me in case you need any details

PS:would be a good idea to stock up on fruits and sandwiches and packed food from bangalore.there is a ghar dhaba attached to the bp coco after kurnool,but eating options are negligible.
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 22:02   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Welcome to hyderabad to enjoy the winters!we drive hyderabad thrissur regularly!calicut to bangalore is the best option for day 1.and would take you around 8hrs.bangalore hyd is another 8hr drive.there are no places to stop for the night beyond bangalore.between blr and hyd ,places to stop for eating are just not there.if you leave by 9 from bangalore you should be crossing hyd airport by 5pm.Where in hyderabad are you headed to?feel free to pm me in case you need any details

PS:would be a good idea to stock up on fruits and sandwiches and packed food from bangalore.there is a ghar dhaba attached to the bp coco after kurnool,but eating options are negligible.
Thanks indeed Ranjith. Cant pm you as yet. Appreciate your email id or just send me a one liner to vu2pmc@hotmail.com and I will keep in touch..
Thanks again.
vu2pmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 04:07   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vu2pmc View Post

Apart from ranjith's suggestions, Make sure you find out the currect conditions of NH212 before you start. As of now the Thamarassery ghats are in terrible condition and unless they do up that road before Christmas you'd be better advised to take the Calicut-Nilambur-Gudalur-Gundlupet route instead of the more common Kalpetta-Sulthanbathery route (NH212).
kala is offline   Reply With Quote