Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 20th August 2009, 17:00   #31
Team-BHP Support

Jalori pass is one of the last passes to close down. Sept end it would be open. I would be surprised if you find any snow there at that time.
Infact even higher passes like Rohtang are mostly open during that time.
But for 9 days there, does not make sense.
Do this
Sat - Delhi shoja
Sun, mon - shoja
tue - Shoja Gramphoo
Wed - Gramphoo Kaza
Thu - Kaza Pin valley kaza
Fri - Kaza Kapla
Sat - Back to Delhi
Spiti loop + shoja done in a week
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2009, 18:23   #32
BHPian

Sounds great tsk, I was also thinking on doing the Spiti route now that I have the luxury of time. Let me start planning this.
greenh0rn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:37   #33
abk
BHPian

Some handy information, should anyone need it in future:
  • 15 kms of road, half of it on either side of Jalori pass is bad. What is worse is the steep incline. However, any car can do it. We did it in Innova, mostly driving on the first gear. We have seen many Maruti 800s & few other cars (Santro, Wagon R, Esteeem, Ikon, etc) on this route.
  • Use engine braking more effectively than heating up the brake pads on the declines
  • We did not encounter any snow anywhere, not even traces could be seen on the peaks from the Jalori pass!
  • Would recommend approaching Sojha (Shoja) via Jalori pass from Shimla - Narkanda. After Ani the drive is beautiful, although the roads are narrow & it is a pain to let an oncoming vehicle pass.
  • My experience of road etiquettes in this region has been rather disappointing. Almost on all occassions we had to reverse our car & give way to local vehicles (Sumos, buses etc) despite being on upward inclines whilst the approaching vehicles had road shoulders to let us pass by Please bear in mind our car had Haryana registration
  • Shiringi Vatika is a cozy place to stay but it is not in Sojha. It is in Shiringipur, Ghiyagi, 2 kms from Jibhi towards Sojha. Sojha appealed more to us in terms of peace & scenic quotient. Purely from location perspective the best places to stay in Sojha seemed the Forest Rest House (FRH) & the PWD RH.
  • If approaching via Mandi then the road from Aut to Larji is not really a right turn but rather straight. The road turns left into the Aut tunnel to Kullu.
  • Hospitality of Mr Manohar & his wife, owner of the Shiringi Vatika is unmatched. (However, I found them a li'l over indulgent on rare occassions)
abk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 11:22   #34

the experience is narrated as true as it can be!!
cheers for ur success on jalori pass without a quirk!
keep going buddy.
sonaljain71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 09:57   #35
BHPian

Default Re: Route and stay info for Shoja

I am also planning to go to Shoja as following -

15th Aug - early morning leave for Himachal. Overnight stay somewhere in Shoghi/Shimla/Narkanda
16th Aug - Leave for Shoja, see the waterfalls in the evening and overnight in Shoja
17th Aug - Half day trip to Serolskar lake
18th Aug - Half day trip to Raghupur forts
19th Aug - Shoja to Chandigarh
20th Aug - Chandigarh to Delhi

Do you think I have included the places/given enough time to them based on the beauty you saw in your trips. Also is it good time for all of it...
should I stay at some other plae than chandigarh while coming back - again my interst is to relax and that means sitting in beautiful environment or taking small walks

I am excited by the your travelogs and hope doing this on my own vehicle (Chevy Beat) make sense.
satishchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 10:46   #36
BHPian

Cool Re: Route and stay info for Shoja

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishchugh View Post
I am also planning to go to Shoja as following -

15th Aug - early morning leave for Himachal. Overnight stay somewhere in Shoghi/Shimla/Narkanda
16th Aug - Leave for Shoja, see the waterfalls in the evening and overnight in Shoja
17th Aug - Half day trip to Serolskar lake
18th Aug - Half day trip to Raghupur forts
19th Aug - Shoja to Chandigarh
20th Aug - Chandigarh to Delhi

Do you think I have included the places/given enough time to them based on the beauty you saw in your trips. Also is it good time for all of it...
should I stay at some other plae than chandigarh while coming back - again my interst is to relax and that means sitting in beautiful environment or taking small walks

I am excited by the your travelogs and hope doing this on my own vehicle (Chevy Beat) make sense.
I would advise you to stay at Chail (Ist preference) or Kasuali, rather than staying in a city like Chandigarh.

Lots of hotels at Chail and a beautiful place.

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 10:56   #37
Team-BHP Support

Why are you going to shimla, why not drive straight to shoja. ITs but a 12 hour drive!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 13:50   #38
BHPian

1. I want to take Shimla-Theog-Narkanda route while going and Aut-Mandi route while coming back. I have heard that Theog-Narkanda route is very beautiful even though it will take more time and road is not so good after Narkanda. Do you guys think otherwise?

2. I am the only driver as my wife is still learning. So I would like to keep driving at 5-7 hours a day - otherwise I will not have energy to enjoy anything at the venue. At the same time freedom of stopping wherever you want keeps me away from taking a bus.

3. I am also thinking of taking a driver with me but not sure where to get them in NOIDA and how much they charge. Can you help me with it.

4. Thanks Irish for your advice on Chail. I don't want to take to take a big detour from the route, so it will help if you can tell me how much time it will take to take this detour. If I stay at Chail - do I have to come back to the Solan-Shimla highway? I can see a small road from Chail to Kufri - but is it advisable to take this road given road conditions and natural beauty and time it takes to drive till Kufri?

Last edited by satishchugh : 25th July 2012 at 13:54.
satishchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 14:02   #39
Team-BHP Support

You have to do Delhi Narkanda on first day(10 hours). Road from Narkanda to shoja is in a bad condition, esp during monsoons. So its a tough drive. that said, climbing to Jalori from Khanag is easier than from shoja side, so you can do the loop.
Drive to Narkanda on day 1.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 14:09   #40
BHPian

Cool Re: Route and stay info for Shoja

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishchugh View Post
4. Thanks Irish for your advice on Chail. I don't want to take to take a big detour from the route, so it will help if you can tell me how much time it will take to take this detour. If I stay at Chail - do I have to come back to the Solan-Shimla highway? I can see a small road from Chail to Kufri - but is it advisable to take this road given road conditions and natural beauty and time it takes to drive till Kufri?
While going towards Simla, here are the two options:

Option 1: Take right from Solan (Chandigarh - Simla - NH22)

Option 2: take right from Kandaghat (a small town on NH22 after Solan) and go to Chail via Sadhupul

Option 2 is better. Comparitively narrow but no traffic. Take a break at Sadhupul. Nice scenery.

While coming back from Simla to Delhi:

Simla --> Sanjauli --> Charbra --> Kufri --> Take right for Chail --> Koti (Koti resorts) --> Janedghat --> Chail

Chail from Simla is around 40 kms (takes around 2-2.5 hrs). Take breaks on the scenic way. Enjoy lunch at a Soni ka dhaba (on RHS) at Janedghat (in the starting of this small village - Janedghat). Not too sure if its still there. The owners prepares fresh and tasty veg. food in pure ghee.

You should stay overnight at Chail.

For Chail to Delhi, take reverse of option 2, as discussed above i.e. Chail --> Sadhupul --> Kandaghat --> Solan --> Chandigarh --> Ambala --> Delhi

Cheers!
Irish
Irish is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 02:30   #41
BHPian

Default Route and stay info for GHNP area

Hello all,

i am planning a trip with two of my friends from chandigarh to great himalyan national park area from 29th to 31st march. They will come from delhi after office on 28th and would reach chandigarh around 11PM. They have to be back in chandigarh on 31st preferably by 7PM or latest by12PM, so they can attend office on the morning of 1st april. I would be driving my 2007 alto lx 42K kms.

I had gone to the area during college with friends back in 2004. We stayed at the Sai ropa tourist centre dormitories that time. It was a fun time and i was thinking of doing the same thing again this time. But as there is a girl with us this time, i wanted to book the place in advance. So searched for telephone numbers on internet and got nothing. then i thought i should check here and i got to read a LOT of other stuff and areas around that place. Now i need advice on deciding from 2 broad plans:

1)
29th March - chandigarh (5 AM)- ropar - mandi - aut- banjar- reach sai ropa (tourist centre dorms if available) or gushaini (raju guest house, shingri etc) around 2PM. roam around a bit.
30th March - do a small trek (permit needed?) and then hang out at the river.
31st March - walk a bit in the morning and leave by 11 AM to reach chandigarh by 8 PM.

2)
29 march - Chd (5AM) - ropar- mandi - aut - banjar, sai ropa 2PM. roam around the place
30 march - shingri, tirthan, gushaini, shoja visit these and stay wherever we get accomodation
31 march - start at 11AM to jalori pass - narkanda - shimla - chandigarh 8PM

(this can also be done other way round chd- shimla- narkanda- jalori- shoja- aut- mandi- ropar- chd which one is better)

please advise on which will be a better plan.
I personally love to trek on foot, but the other two are more of the corporate breed -- go to a camp site and sit around all day long.

Any points of concern? Are the timelines manageable? The alto works fine and got serviced and oil change in november 2012 which was 4K Kms ago, anything special i need to do to prepare the car?

Help on accomodation would also be appreciated. would not want to spend more than Rs 1000-1200/night . lesser the better.
thinking of staying at the FRH and PWD houses at various places but should we just reach there and take a risk with on the spot availability or is there a way to book beforehand? Somewhere on this forum said that the caretaker at the rest house didnt let him stay and demanded a permit which can only be obtained by a written application to some officer.

looking forward to inputs, especially from tsk1979 (tanveer), hvk, wanderernomad, genesis.... and everybody else.
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 17:50   #42
Senior - BHPian

Well you do have a very tight schedule to fully enjoy the scenery. I would suggest the first option. You wont need permits for trekking on that side of the park. Caretakers will not generally give you on the spot room without a permit unless:
1. You are yourself a govt employee or
2. A defense personal or
3. Have an extremely acute sense of persuasion or
4. Can beg, plead and cajole while being on the verge of crying.

Since you ahve some days with you suggest go tot he HP Govt website and get yourself the number of the concerned DFO and request him for the booking at FRH.

I would not suggest the jalori route on your way back unless you want to trek to the Serelusar lake, that is.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 01:30   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Well you do have a very tight schedule to fully enjoy the scenery. I would suggest the first option. You wont need permits for trekking on that side of the park. Caretakers will not generally give you on the spot room without a permit unless:
1. You are yourself a govt employee or

Since you ahve some days with you suggest go tot he HP Govt website and get yourself the number of the concerned DFO and request him for the booking at FRH.

I would not suggest the jalori route on your way back unless you want to trek to the Serelusar lake, that is.
Thanks a lot wanderernomad.
I think a bank employee will qualify as a govt employee? or two from SBI capital services will?

my friends called a few places, Got the number of the govt resthouse, they said till now the rooms are available but cant say for sure about the situation at that time. raju's guest house is completely booked for that weekend, he said it being the good friday weekend theres a lot of tourists expected. i think at least the dorms at FRH will be available.

why do you not suggest jalori on the way back? tough drive? not enough time? pass closed? better to do from narkanda side? ...
never heard of serelusar lake before, it looks very good. is it doable in our itinerary?

BTW, was searching directions from narkanda to jalori.
Got a surprise from Panchkula to narkanda in google maps.
It does NOT recommend the shimla highway (NH22) all the way to shimla.
1. It recommends taking a left after dharampur and taking SH9 and then SH16 to approach shimla from the east. Is this correct?? 3hr15min
2. Also the Second recommendation is turning right from dagshai and taking SH6 and bypassing shimla completely to directly reach theog. 3hr20min

3. The usual NH22 route is supposed to take longer! 3hr40min

seems highly unlikely that the first route would save time. The second one however may be good IF the condition and width of the road is good. Any info on this?

I keep finding great places in that region everyday. just hope the others get moved and we extend the stay for a day or two.

Last edited by guptavis : 18th March 2013 at 01:32.
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 08:45   #44
Senior - BHPian

I am planning the same route on good friday weekend
Not sure,but there is a bleak chance that Jalori may be closed,due to the amount of snow we have had this year,will confirm the status this week.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 21:09   #45
Senior - BHPian

Jalori is open but the roads are a mess. It would take you a better part of an hour crossing the same till kandugad. Plus Himachal is meant to be felt and enjoyed not hurried through. SBI ID should work, no harm in trying.

There is a thread about serelusar lake here, I know because I wrote it. lol. From Shoja if you want to trek, find the route to lama lamri and you would be rewarded.

The routes you mention are shorter but the roads are narrow and there will be heavy truck traffic. Via Basantpur is another option which is approached turning onto the Naldhera road after Shimla and it would bring you to Behena, this side of Jalori on the banks of Satluj.

Dont even contemplate the Dagshai - Theog route. Its a long road to no where. Best you stick to the Mandi-Aut Route.

@ Akshay any particular reason to be there or would you be interested in another exotic location? Let me know your trip details and maybe we can give you a better alternative.
wanderernomad is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote