Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 18th March 2013, 21:35   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Route and stay info for Shoja

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
Jalori is open but the roads are a mess. It would take you a better part of an hour crossing the same till kandugad. Plus Himachal is meant to be felt and enjoyed not hurried through. SBI ID should work, no harm in trying.

There is a thread about serelusar lake here, I know because I wrote it. lol. From Shoja if you want to trek, find the route to lama lamri and you would be rewarded.

The routes you mention are shorter but the roads are narrow and there will be heavy truck traffic. Via Basantpur is another option which is approached turning onto the Naldhera road after Shimla and it would bring you to Behena, this side of Jalori on the banks of Satluj.

Dont even contemplate the Dagshai - Theog route. Its a long road to no where. Best you stick to the Mandi-Aut Route.

@ Akshay any particular reason to be there or would you be interested in another exotic location? Let me know your trip details and maybe we can give you a better alternative.
I have been there quite a few times,love the place for its beauty.
And i can only spare 3 days,friday to Sunday,have already been to Chitkul/Sangla twice in last 24 months,i am open to suggestions.
Chansal Wont be open by then,i am sure,else that would have been an option.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 22:24   #47
Senior - BHPian

Even if you cant make it to Chanshal, Sundhanshu at its base is an ideal weekend get away. There is a quaint PWD guest house by the banks of the river Pabbar and it cannot get more idyllic than that place.

If you feel thats too far off, drive to Sarain at the base of Chrudhar and spend 2 day there in the lush valley. If you need pictures let me know. Another option that I can think of is Thanadhar from Narkanda.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 18th March 2013 at 22:25.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 23:29   #48
BHPian

Quote:
There is a thread about serelusar lake here, I know because I wrote it. lol. From Shoja if you want to trek, find the route to lama lamri and you would be rewarded.

The routes you mention are shorter but the roads are narrow and there will be heavy truck traffic.
Dont even contemplate the Dagshai - Theog route. Its a long road to no where. Best you stick to the Mandi-Aut Route.
WOW! you seem to know this area like the back of your hand!
I will only look at the major roads now. Thanks for all the useful advice.
I am sleeping around 2-3am for the past couple of days, looking at all the pics and experiences of that area. will try to resist today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I am planning the same route on good friday weekend
Not sure,but there is a bleak chance that Jalori may be closed,due to the amount of snow we have had this year,will confirm the status this week.
Thanks akshay, ill be waiting keenly on the condition of road of jalori pass.
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 00:26   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning the same route on good friday weekend
Not sure,but there is a bleak chance that Jalori may be closed,due to the amount of snow we have had this year,will confirm the status this week.
oye Akshay, I will be doing that route as well on Good friday weekend. We are booked at Raju's cottage. where are you going?

Quote:
Well you do have a very tight schedule to fully enjoy the scenery. I would suggest the first option. You wont need permits for trekking on that side of the park. Caretakers will not generally give you on the spot room without a permit unless:
1. You are yourself a govt employee or
2. A defense personal or
3. Have an extremely acute sense of persuasion or
4. Can beg, plead and cajole while being on the verge of crying.

Since you ahve some days with you suggest go tot he HP Govt website and get yourself the number of the concerned DFO and request him for the booking at FRH.

I would not suggest the jalori route on your way back unless you want to trek to the Serelusar lake, that is.
Vikram, What trek / hikes around that area would you recommend? I'm out of shape but my wife is fit - we enjoyed Khaliya top at Munsyari 3 years back, and Triund 4 years back.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 12:42   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
oye Akshay, I will be doing that route as well on Good friday weekend. We are booked at Raju's cottage. where are you going?

Vikram, What trek / hikes around that area would you recommend? I'm out of shape but my wife is fit - we enjoyed Khaliya top at Munsyari 3 years back, and Triund 4 years back.
Haha being a phamily wala I would not suggest you letting her go off on her own in those beautiful valleys. Lolz. Ok jokes apart, while there are no established short trek routes but there are numerous options for nature walks. If you dont mind a slightly strenuous trek ask the local guy to point you onto the Lama Lamri ridge. It would be a longish walk but well worth it. You can also trek upto Jalori and onward to sereleusar lake and return via the Lama Lamri route depending upon your endurance and love for your limbs rather than the wife.

BTW for all bhpians if you would be crossing Chandigarh/Mohali while on your weekend sojourns if you care to stop for coffee and a deserved break let me know.

Last edited by wanderernomad : 19th March 2013 at 12:45.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 12:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even if you cant make it to Chanshal, Sundhanshu at its base is an ideal weekend get away. There is a quaint PWD guest house by the banks of the river Pabbar and it cannot get more idyllic than that place.

If you feel thats too far off, drive to Sarain at the base of Chrudhar and spend 2 day there in the lush valley. If you need pictures let me know. Another option that I can think of is Thanadhar from Narkanda.
Been there done that a number of times
Rohru does not entice me,road from theog is still pathetic like it was 6 years ago.Chansal is the only place,that has not been explored by me in this region.Did Daranghati in August 2011,so that is not an option either for now.

Btw people who are riding with me have not been to Tirthan ever,so i think i will stick to it,need to explore a village in that area,that i visited as a kid back in 1994.
@Phamilyboy-See you in tirthan
@Wanderernomad-Sirjee,i have been around since ages,never got a coffee invite
Old 19th March 2013, 12:57   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Wanderernomad-Sirjee,i have been around since ages,never got a coffee invite
Sirjee you forget we even had planned a breakfast drive but since you mention lets meet up for a proper meal any time you are free as I might move to Jorhat in April. Vaise bhi ghar walon ko invite nahin karte. Walk in any time or let me know when ever you are in the neighbourhood and we shall remedy this sad state of not having met in the last 2 years.

For first timers then Tirthan would be good. Have you been to the Nohradhar, Habban, Shillai side yet?

Last edited by wanderernomad : 19th March 2013 at 12:58.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 13:00   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sirjee you forget we even had planned a breakfast drive but since you mention lets meet up for a proper meal any time you are free as I might move to Jorhat in April. Vaise bhi ghar walon ko invite nahin karte. Walk in any time or let me know when ever your in the neighbourhood and we shall remedy this sad state of not having met in the last 2 years.

For first timers then Tirthan would be good. Have you been to the Nohradhar, Habban, Shillai side yet?
Sure,we can meet up on Friday evening
Btw i have been to Rajgarh/Habban and Noradhar,but that was about 15-17 years back as a kid.
Where is Shillai?
Old 19th March 2013, 13:03   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure,we can meet up on Friday evening
Btw i have been to Rajgarh/Habban and Noradhar,but that was about 15-17 years back as a kid.
Where is Shillai?
When you carry forward on from Nohra to Haripurdhar you come to a road head. Left takes you into a lesser known bowl known as Kupvi. Pristine unexplored. Right takes you to Dadahu and Renuka ji. Straight onwards takes you to Shillai the last town of Sirmaur bordering Uttrakhand. You can carry onto Vikas Nagar, Dak Pathar from thereon.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2013, 16:00   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Haha being a phamily wala I would not suggest you letting her go off on her own in those beautiful valleys. Lolz. Ok jokes apart, while there are no established short trek routes but there are numerous options for nature walks. If you dont mind a slightly strenuous trek ask the local guy to point you onto the Lama Lamri ridge. It would be a longish walk but well worth it. You can also trek upto Jalori and onward to sereleusar lake and return via the Lama Lamri route depending upon your endurance and love for your limbs rather than the wife.
Sirji,

btw- we have trekked to a completely frozen serolsar besides a fully liquid one too. so koi aur route mangta hai?

btw is gushaini that close to serolsar? I thought it was far from jalori!!
Old 20th March 2013, 16:10   #56
Team-BHP Support

There is a massive waterfall, really massive which is a short 1km trek from the main road near Sai Ropa. But around 50mts of the trek are strenous.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 12:42   #57
BHPian

Is the route till Shoja doable in a Laura and a City. We are planning a weekend in the Banjara Camps property during mid June.
Can someone let me know if the road conditions are ok for the City and Laura to go till Shoja?
smats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 13:34   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smats View Post
Is the route till Shoja doable in a Laura and a City. We are planning a weekend in the Banjara Camps property during mid June.
Can someone let me know if the road conditions are ok for the City and Laura to go till Shoja?
Yes, pretty much doable in City and Laura. Except that the section near Jalori will be little tough, if you plan to go there
rkbharat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2013, 13:59   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smats View Post
Yes ,as RK bharat said,it will be doable from Aut side,but last 6kms from Ghiyagi till Shoja will be tricky,so drive carefully to avoid underbelly hits,in fact you can even cross jalori and drive to the other side,just that you will have to drive carefully.
In case there are heavy rains,try to avoid Jalori in sedans.
Old 31st May 2013, 14:42   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

tension not my friend, good ole petrol figo did jalori top on good friday weekend amidst the slush from shoja side!