Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd March 2008, 13:47   #1
BHPian

Default Salem-Athur-Perambalur-Ariyalur - Road condition?

Hi all,

Am planning to drive from Bangalore to Thanjavur sometime next week.
Does anyone know the road condition from Salem to Ariyalur, in particular the stretch between Athur to Perambalur?

The last time I had been in that route (Dec '07), the roads were pretty bad, with the entire road being dug up at some places between Athur and Perambalur. However repair work was going on then. Any idea whether they are over yet?
ajayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 15:40   #2
Awaiting Email Confirmation

i know for sure that salem to attur is tolerable. average speeds of 80kmph, heavy truck traffic.what car are you using?
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 16:07   #3
BHPian

Yeah, Salem to Attur is Ok, but it is the stretch from Attur to Perambalur that scares me. I will be driving my Palio Stile 1.1. If not for this route, I would be forced to take the very busy Salem-Namakkal-Trichy-Thanjavur route :(
ajayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2008, 16:29   #4
Awaiting Email Confirmation

just realised that you will be travelling from blore, i was travelling from cochin via coimbatore.

I had turned off the coimbatore-salem highway at sankagiri towards thiruchengode-nammakkal
that section was brilliant.

not sure about the salem namakkal section, but namakkal to tanjavur was fine except just before trichy(city traffic) and the section through town in nammakkal.but both these heavy traffic sections took only 15-20 mins to get past.

see if there is anyone else who can advise you on the salem nammakkal conditions.

Last edited by rippergeo : 3rd March 2008 at 16:42.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote