Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2010, 01:10   #136
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,166 Times
Default

The roads are perfectly fine. Many folks have gone after the rains. Don't worry.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 20:11   #137
BHPian
 
@400Kph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 146
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Hi Guys , i am making a ooty, Conoor trip this weekend and need to know which is the best route.I am staying near Electronic city.I was contemplating on Bangalore-Coimbatore-ooty or Bangalore-Masangudi-Ooty Route.Which one is better ? I will be leaving at 4:00 AM saturday morning.
@400Kph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 15:48   #138
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

In the past, I have tried the following routes:

1. Bangalore - Mysore (Ring Road) - Gundlupet - Gudalur - Ooty (about 8 hours)

2. Bangalore - Mysore (Ring Road) - Gundlupet - Masinagudi - Ooty (about 7.5 hours)

Both are scenic and road conditions are quite good except for a few rough patches near Nanjangud. There are 36 hairpin bends in the Masinagudi route.
ccnarayanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 18:22   #139
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,166 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by @400Kph View Post
Hi Guys , i am making a ooty, Conoor trip this weekend and need to know which is the best route.I am staying near Electronic city.I was contemplating on Bangalore-Coimbatore-ooty or Bangalore-Masangudi-Ooty Route.Which one is better ? I will be leaving at 4:00 AM saturday morning.
Dont take the CBE road. Mysore is much more easier. Not sure of the NICE road status. Thats the only check point you will need to find out.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 08:14   #140
BHPian
 
viveklk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 34
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hello BHPians,

Anybody did a recent drive on Bangalore-Mysore-Masingudi-Ooty route? Is this road in good condition? I heard that some part is not good.
I'm thinking of taking the Gudlur route while coming back, is this road good?

-Vivek
viveklk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 10:54   #141
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,567
Thanked: 1,685 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viveklk View Post
Hello BHPians,

Anybody did a recent drive on Bangalore-Mysore-Masingudi-Ooty route? Is this road in good condition? I heard that some part is not good.
I'm thinking of taking the Gudlur route while coming back, is this road good?

-Vivek
Blr-Mysore is a breeze,from Kengeri to Mysore entry should take you around 2hours.

Take the ring road at mysore and join up with the ooty road,it helps you avod the mysore town traffic,the ring road is straigh forward and fast.

Mysore-bandipur-mgudi-kalhatty-ooty is also in supreme condition at the moment.no potholes whatsoever,the stretch before bandipur entry has also been done up and completed,kengeri NICE junction to Ooty should take you around 5hours with decent speeds,

PS:I did this route last Friday.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 16:29   #142
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,166 Times
Default

How is Gudalur to Ooty stretch in terms of steepness? I mostly take the Masinagudi route.

Last edited by ampere : 31st March 2010 at 16:33.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 16:43   #143
BHPian
 
kannan666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA-02
Posts: 934
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
How is Gudalur to Ooty stretch in terms of steepness? I mostly take the Masinagudi route.
Compared to the Segur Ghat Road, it is actually quite mild in terms of gradient although it has a lot more twists and turns ! Most of the time one ends up in coming down from Ooty through Gudalur only to visit places like the Wenlock Downs, 9th Mile, Pykara Lake, Glenmorgan and so on. Else, Masinigudi route will be much shorter although while coming down, you have to keep a close watch on your brakes and ensure that they do not get too heated up ! This after taking most of the bends in 1st and 2nd gear !
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 17:04   #144
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,166 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannan666 View Post
Compared to the Segur Ghat Road, it is actually quite mild in terms of gradient although it has a lot more twists and turns ! Most of the time one ends up in coming down from Ooty through Gudalur only to visit places like the Wenlock Downs, 9th Mile, Pykara Lake, Glenmorgan and so on. Else, Masinigudi route will be much shorter although while coming down, you have to keep a close watch on your brakes and ensure that they do not get too heated up ! This after taking most of the bends in 1st and 2nd gear !
In fact I always used Segur ghats for both ascent and descent.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 11:01   #145
BHPian
 
bglsrini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 291
Thanked: 0 Times
Default road is good

The road is good and i drove down from ooty yesterday.
bglsrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 13:41   #146
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default How long does it take to reach ooty ???

How long does it take if i take the Mysore route to reach ooty ???

Thanks

- G
iyertalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 13:51   #147
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,166 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyertalks View Post
How long does it take if i take the Mysore route to reach ooty ???

Thanks

- G
I hope you mean from Bangalore?
If yes 5-7 hours depending on your breaks and what time you start from Bangalore.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 13:58   #148
BHPian
 
kannan666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA-02
Posts: 934
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Also, it is not clear if you want to go by the longer but less steeper Gudalur route or the shorter but steeper Masinigudi route. Shorter route (by around 36kms) will save you around 45mins to an hour depending on your driving.
kannan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 14:27   #149
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks a bunch guys. I will be taking the less steeper route .. It is an AT and it is a petrol Guzzler already
iyertalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 08:53   #150
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,166 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyertalks View Post
Thanks a bunch guys. I will be taking the less steeper route .. It is an AT and it is a petrol Guzzler already
Please ensure you get out the city earlier. Its would also be good for you to take a day off before the weekend and start then, rather than the weekend to beat the weekend-rush.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Madurai - Mysore - Ooty - Madurai : Route Queries RajeswaranK7 Route / Travel Queries 35 10th May 2017 13:31
Mysore - Yeswantpur - Airport - Mysore : Route Queries madaboutCARS Route / Travel Queries 18 25th December 2015 11:02
Wedding bells in the hills!::Pune-BLR-Mysore-Masinagudy-Ooty-Gudalur-Mysore-BLR-Pune pjbiju Travelogues 15 25th March 2009 14:25
My most Awaited trip Bangalore - ooty - Mukurthi Fishing Hut - ooty - Bangalore. bglsrini Travelogues 25 17th September 2008 18:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks