Old 2nd June 2016, 15:01   #1486
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
So you made it in similar timings as i mentioned earlier
And hope masinagudi climb was fun.

-Ravi
Yea managed the timing well. Masinagudi climb was super fun... . Enjoyed every bit of it.
Sandy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 09:09   #1487
BHPian

Any updates on the Gudalur route to Ooty/ Connoor? I had used this route (as opposed to the 36 hairpin Kalhatti falls route) several years back in 2009, and at that time, the road condition was superb and the route very scenic. However, I was told that very recently (maybe in the last one year or more) the road condition had deteriorated. Has anyone used this Gudalur route recently? Has it been repaired, and how is the road condition right up to Ooty now?
arindambasu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 09:59   #1488
BHPian

Used the route end May. It was pretty good but slow. Lots of moron like traffic.

2 places where culverts were being built
sridhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 15:27   #1489
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
However, I was told that very recently (maybe in the last one year or more) the road condition had deteriorated.
The Gudalur route has very recently been relaid and is good from the last reports here on this thread (look up the earlier posts).
The 36 hair pin bend route is also good, except a short stretch before Masinagudi which is manageable. I would suggest taking this route for onward and Gudalur route for return.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 15:46   #1490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
T I would suggest taking this route for onward and Gudalur route for return.
Thanks! Any particular reason you suggest this? Or is this just to bring some variety to the onward and return routes?
arindambasu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 15:57   #1491
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Thanks! Any particular reason you suggest this? Or is this just to bring some variety to the onward and return routes?
One is for the variety, driving the 36 hair pin bend route is nice for the driver in you
Other reason is this route is not fun when driving downhill from ooty and the cops there sometimes don't allow traffic during weekends and holidays due to heavy traffic and now that Gudalur route is fine, should be a good choice for the return.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 15:55   #1492
BHPian

What is the best route to drive from E-City to Ooty now considering road widening and all?

Will be going for 3 days this weekend Saturday-Monday starting @ 5AM probably from here and starting at around 10AM from there on the way back.
shadows123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 16:23   #1493
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows123 View Post
What is the best route to drive from E-City to Ooty now considering road widening and all?

Will be going for 3 days this weekend Saturday-Monday starting @ 5AM probably from here and starting at around 10AM from there on the way back.
The standard Mysore-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Theppekadu-Masinagudi-Kalhatty Ghats-Ooty should be the one. But make sure you do start by 5.
Road widening is going on in the Mysore-Nanjangud stretch (20kms) but is not a real bother now, the work is progressing fast and a lot of 4 laned sections have been opened up for use.

While returning, you could opt to come via Pykara-Gudalur-Theppekadu-Mysore-Bangalore or for a longer but very scenic drive, Ooty-Kothagiri-Mettupalayam-Bannari-Dimbam ghats-Chamrajnagar-Kanakapura-Bangalore. Roads are good all the way in both routes. No good food/bio break options in the second option though.
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 16:28   #1494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
The standard Mysore-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Theppekadu-Masinagudi-Kalhatty Ghats-Ooty should be the one. But make sure you do start by 5.
Road widening is going on in the Mysore-Nanjangud stretch (20kms) but is not a real bother now, the work is progressing fast and a lot of 4 laned sections have been opened up for use.

While returning, you could opt to come via Pykara-Gudalur-Theppekadu-Mysore-Bangalore or for a longer but very scenic drive, Ooty-Kothagiri-Mettupalayam-Bannari-Dimbam ghats-Chamrajnagar-Kanakapura-Bangalore. Roads are good all the way in both routes. No good food/bio break options in the second option though.
I meant more like should i take the Kanakpura route or the standard Mysore road route. I like the Pykara-Gudalur route .Will try during return.

Google Maps shows Kanakpura route and join at Nanjangud after Malavalli.
shadows123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2016, 16:34   #1495
BHPian

Quote:
I meant more like should i take the Kanakpura route or the standard Mysore road route. I like the Pykara-Gudalur route .Will try during return.
Starting at or before 5 AM, Mysore route should be faster, with more options for a breakfast/bio break. Most of the infamous humps are gone now and you can maintain good pace all the way. But After 5-5.30 on a saturday, traffic would be on the heavier side.

Quote:
Google Maps shows Kanakpura route and join at Nanjangud after Malavalli.
This is the route you should take if you opt to go via Kanakapura

https://goo.gl/QyFWps

Ecity-NECE-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegala-Chamarajnagar-Gundlupet-ooty
sandsun7 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 10:08   #1496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Starting at or before 5 AM, Mysore route should be faster, with more options for a breakfast/bio break. Most of the infamous humps are gone now and you can maintain good pace all the way. But After 5-5.30 on a saturday, traffic would be on the heavier side.

This is the route you should take if you opt to go via Kanakapura

https://goo.gl/QyFWps

Ecity-NECE-Kanakapura-Malavalli-Kollegala-Chamarajnagar-Gundlupet-ooty
Used the routes as you mentioned. Took Mysore Road in the morning and it was clean all the way to Mysore. Mysore-Gundlupet was a pain to drive on due to various deviations along the way and took up a lot of time. The Masinagudi climb both up and down was fantastic. Excellent roads and good to drive.

While Returning took the Kanakpura route with deviation at Gundlupet.

Gundlupet-Chamrajanagar has some bad roads with unexpected pot holes at places and continuously deteriorating roads in general. However its still a bliss to drive in general all the way to Kanakpura(going inside all the villages enroute is a pain although). After Kanakpura it became a bit trafficky.

Overall took 4 hours to reach Electronic City from Gundlupet with Speeds never exceeding 100. Seems like a great route compared to the regular Blr-Mysore highway(if you're going to Ooty/Bandipur/Wayanad) with no speed breakers even inside towns. Although if the Nanjangud route is completed, it will become better than this route again.
shadows123 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 10:15   #1497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Although if the Nanjangud route is completed, it will become better than this route again.
Even after the Nanjangud route is done, Chamrajnagar - Kanakapura - Bangalore is much better route to take on a Sunday late afternoon/evening as you will have to deal with mad cabs and bumper to bumper traffic from Mandya - Kengeri if you take Mysore - Bangalore road.

Is there are alternate route from Kanakpura - NICE road as this is the one stretch that gets a quiet a bit of traffic on Sunday evenings.
procrj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2016, 11:43   #1498
Senior - BHPian

Had been to Ooty last Sat/Sun.
Onward journey took,
Blr-Salem-Mettupalayam-Coonor-Ooty - Fantastic road conditions, but heavy traffic jam@Coonor.

Return journey, I took
Ooty-Gudalur-Bandipur-Gundlupete-Chamarajanagar-Malavalli-Kanakpura-Bangalore.
The road condtions is good all throughout , some are freshly tarred.
Rough patches between Chamarajanagar - Gundlupete, but managable my any sedan.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2016, 19:59   #1499
BHPian

Had been to Ooty on Saturday, 4th June 2016.

Sorry for the belated updates. Had some work in Mysore on Friday and had to return to Bangalore by Saturday night. So, just planned Ad-hoc in the morning of Saturday and hit the road.

Mysore to Nanjangud road has lot of deviations. Small under-construction bridges and land disputes will take you to diversions. Approx. 15-20 diversions are there. After Nanjangud and up to Ooty, the Roads are good as per Indian standards.

Took the Kalahatti ghat road, which is in good condition. From the junction where the road splits and will take you to Masinagudi, the road is good but is a Single road for about 15 kms. Slow moving vehicles may bother you.

Now the main highlight of the trip.. Once, you enter Ooty, the traffic reminds you of Bangalore. I don't know whether this happens on every Weekend, but the lines were 1-2 kms. I always avoid Ooty in Summers because of Traffic and parking problem, but this was very short trip of about 2 hrs. Looking at the Traffic, I was forced to head towards Doddabetta, but there too the same problem and parking will take you another 30-45 mins.

The Road to Doddabetta is very bad from the point where Entry Fees is collected. I didn't get the time while return, to ask him what for are the Entry Fees collected.
jaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2016, 20:24   #1500
Distinguished - BHPian

Had been to Calicut over the weekend via Mysore-Gundlepet. While going noticed a further reduction in humps/speed-breakers on the Mysore. So paid more attention on the return. So here is a humpdate
  • Columbia Asia to Srirangapatna- There are 4 humps. Old ones that have been there for a long time.
  • Srirangapatna to Mandya- No humps or barricades. In a couple of places, the remnants of the collapsible barricades are jutting out on the road.
  • Mandya town- The usual 5-6 humps.
  • Mandya-Maddur-Almost till Chennapatna: No humps or barricades.
  • From close to Chennapatna and till Ramanagara: Humps still present. Not very frequent, but present. (several within the towns as expected)
  • Ramangara-Bidadi-Kengeri- Again mostly hump free (Maybe 1 or 2 within the towns-Missed to note it down)

On the downside, the highway has a lot of shallow potholes on the right lane-Where the top layer of tar has washed away.

Mysore-ORR junction to Nangangud is a mostly hassle free drive. Not many diversions remaining.
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote