Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 21st November 2016, 16:21   #1576
BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

I had heard that while coming back from Ooty sometimes you cant take the hairpin route. Thanks for clarifying.

I usually stop at Right O before Mysore.
cuttingcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 12:22   #1577
Senior - BHPian

For those who are driving towards Mysore/ Gundlupete/ Wayanad -
You can now take Kanakpura - Mallavalli (Turn off NH 209) - Bannur - Mysore ring road- Take left - Connect to NH 212 / 766.
This is the fastest option if you are starting around 06:00 AM from Bangalore. I had done this route twice in last 3 weeks and was able to reach Mysore road - NH 212/766 junction in around 02hr 10 mins from NICE road Kanakpura exit.

From here to Gundlupet is taking around 45 mins thanks to better roads.

Points to consider -
Bad roads around Bannur ~ 04 KMs.
Not dual carriageway, lots of suicidal bikers if you are driving late.
Lack of food options.

Further, just before and after Nanjangaud there are couple of places where road work is still not done. However, this should not be a bother and you can easily cross that without any hassles.

Toll booth construction is ongoing in full swing, need to see if time advantage is maintainted after toll booth starts working.

So, as of now I have stopped taking the Chamarajanagar - Kollegal route since 2hr 45 mins to 03hr 15 mins is the usual time I take for Gundlupet - Chamarajanagar - Kollegal - NICE road Kanakpura exit. This time is same as that taken with Nanjangaud route mentioned above.

For those travelling further towards Ooty - Masinagudi -

Road widening work is ongoing between Gundlupete and Bandipur forest entry. Around 3 places where you need to take deviations to mud road for the same. No issue with ground clearence since the mud roads are very much levelled. However, do keep an eye for construction equipment. Since this is a narrow road and there is no median, construction vehicles are driven up and down without any regard for safety.

Food options at Gundlupet -

Tried at Nijaguna Gundlupet for the first time and came out disappointed. Stinky restrooms and a completly crowded food area. Though I was not a fan of Chamarajanagar Nijaguna, felt that was much better compared to this.

Need to check out Hotel Misty Rock next time which is located couple of hundered meters from Nijaguna next time. Till then will recommend Coffee day located opposite to Nijaguna.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 22nd November 2016 at 12:28.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 13:11   #1578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
For those who are driving towards Mysore/ Gundlupete/ Wayanad]
Are the roads near Vidya Vikas completed now? Last time i took this route to Mysore, the last 3km stretch before reaching Mysore ring road were being laid and it was completely mud road.

Last edited by ampere : 25th November 2016 at 09:11. Reason: Reduced quoted post length
shadows123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 13:24   #1579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows123 View Post
are the roads near Vidya Vikas completed now?
Yes. Last month they had blocked one lane and was doing some road work. However, now it is done. Just lane markings are pending.
mpksuhas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 15:39   #1580
Senior - BHPian

Folks

I will be leaving for Mysore tomorrow evening from Bommanahalli and prefer to go via Kanakapura Road. From Bannur how are the road conditions. I will be staying in Sreeya Comforts.
suresh_gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2016, 17:02   #1581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Folks

I will be leaving for Mysore tomorrow evening from Bommanahalli and prefer to go via Kanakapura Road. From Bannur how are the road conditions. I will be staying in Sreeya Comforts.
Nothing to be worried about about. Couple of KMs before and after Bannur its bit patchy. Inspite of the same, this is the faster route as per me.

Since you mentioned about starting from Bommanahalli, incase you are taking NICE road do check the rush at toll booth before that.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 15:26   #1582
BHPian

Center may split work to speed up Bengaluru-Mysuru Expressway Project

Name:  NHAI.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  118.1 KB

The Ministry of Road Transport & Highways is expected to split the 10-lane Bengaluru-Mysuru Expressway project into two packages so that the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) can build it early.

The ministry is keen to start building the expressway from both north and south end of the 118km stretch simultaneously .

The project will take about 30 months for completion. The expressway will cut down time of travel between the two cities to 90 minutes.

LINK

Image Credit: The Economic Times

Last edited by iVento : 24th November 2016 at 15:30.
iVento is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 06:52   #1583
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Drove to Mysore from Bangalore on 23rd Nov after a very long time. Here are my observations.
I left my parents house in Malleswaram by 3 15 PM and took an hour to reach Nayandahalli Junction. Traffic was on the higher side due to Metro construction. The number of speed breakers was very much less unlike the ones I encountered when i drove in 2014. In some cases the sign board showed humps ahead only to find no humps.
Inside towns and cities like Ramanagaram, Channapatna and Mandya, the waiting time due to signal was slightly high but otherwise no issues.
I was surprised to find the amount of vehicular traffic on the Bangalore Mysore Highway even on a week day. The Bangalore Chennai NH to the best of my knowledge does not have that much traffic on a week day. Some of the commuters drive like morons, tailgating you, honking very badly.
I stuck to speed limits of 80 kmph considering that you will encounter speed breakers. I reached my destination at Sreeya Comforts by 7 30 PM.
It is high time the govt considers building flyovers that bypass the above mentioned towns. That will ease the driving time to a huge extent.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 08:23   #1584
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
It is high time the govt considers building flyovers that bypass the above mentioned towns. That will ease the driving time to a huge extent.
The Bangalore-Mysore Road, formerly a state highway (SH 17) was converted to a National Highway (NH 275) in 2014 and NHAI will take up the widening / bypassing of major towns en route. See previous post by iVento for a recent update.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 08:47   #1585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVento View Post

10-lane Bengaluru-Mysuru Expressway project into two packages so that the National Highways Authority of India (NHAI)
Do we really need a 10 lane highway?
I think 6 lanes would be enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
NHAI will take up the widening / bypassing of major towns en route.
I think the existing highway will remain, they'll not extend it. This will be an all new expressway, which will begin from the NICE road exit at PES college (Nayandahalli) and continue to Mysore.

Name:  Mysore.JPG
Views: 929
Size:  99.0 KB
Note: Figure for Representation only, not the actual route
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 08:55   #1586
BHPian

Going to Mysore this Sunday morning. Which would be the least congested route?
sairamboko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 09:03   #1587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Going to Mysore this Sunday morning. Which would be the least congested route?
If you plan to leave by say 5 AM, stick to the regular NH 275. Reason being you have options to break for food unlike the Kanakapura road.
suresh_gs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 09:04   #1588
BHPian

Thanks Suresh! I will be starting after having breakfast at home. Plan is to check in by 1pm at Country Inn hotel near infosys.
sairamboko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 09:41   #1589
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Thanks Suresh! I will be starting after having breakfast at home. Plan is to check in by 1pm at Country Inn hotel near infosys.
For a change why don't you try Kanakapura-Malavalli-Bannur-Mysore ?
This will get you directly onto the Mysore Ring Road where you can turn right and reach the Columbia Asia signal in 3-4 Km. Proceed straight at the signal to other side of ring road and you will be on your way towards Infy campus.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 11:49   #1590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Do we really need a 10 lane highway?
I think 6 lanes would be enough.
landcruiser123, you are right. Has ET report gone wrong as far as the number of lanes are concerned?. At the same time another report on The New Indian Express (HERE) also says it's a 10 lane project. But all NHAI reports & brief summary of the project published on Aug 2, 2016 clearly mentions it as a 60m, 6 lane highway.

Highlights:
  • The project corridor starts from the junction at Km 18 near Panchamukhi Temple junction in Bangalore south zone and ends after Srirangapatna at Mysore Ring Road Junction (Columbia Asia Hospital)
  • The total length of the highway upto Columbia Asia Hospital is 117.304 km.
  • Width: 60 m for grade widening and 45 m for Elevated roads
  • There are five bypass proposed;
Bidadi Bypass (7 Km approx.)
Ramnagara & Channapatna Bypass (22 Km approx.)
Maddur Bypass (4.3 Km approx.)
Mandya Bypass (10 Km approx.)
Srirangapatna Bypass (8 Km approx.)
NHAI Brief Summary HERE

Short narrative of the project (by Forest Department) HERE

Last edited by iVento : 25th November 2016 at 12:11.
iVento is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote