Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 12th July 2017, 09:59   #1726
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I was planning to start at 7 or 8, I'll start around 4.30 now and hope to cross mandya at or before 6.30am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
There is report on court ruling expected today on Kaveri and also on the heavy police security around Mandya. Early morning start should save us from trouble while going, thinking of coming through Kanakpura on the way back. Planning keep a tab on the court ruling and proceedings after that and decide.
Although I said I'd start at 4.30, I woke up at 4 but left only at 7.15 crossed Mandya at 9 am, there wasn't even increased police presence.

Maybe I got lucky today or perhaps there won't be any protests.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 12th July 2017 at 10:01.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2017, 10:01   #1727
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Although I said I'd start at 4.30, I woke up at 4 bit left only at 7.15 crossed Mandya at 9 am, there wasn't even increased police presence.

Maybe I got lucky today or perhaps there won't be any protests.
Thanks for that update. Court verdict might be during later part of the day, hope things go peaceful after all.
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 08:57   #1728
BHPian

Hi Guys,

How is the present road condition between Ooty and Gudalur? I'll be travelling to Ooty from Bangalore in October. Planning to take the Masinagudi route while going. For the return leg, I have a toss up between the route via Gudalur & the one via Salem.

I'd prefer the Gudalur route since its shorter; but the last time I traveled on this route in Jan 2015, the condition of the road was extremely poor!

As per google maps, Ooty to my residence via Gudalur is 349 km & via Salem is 438 km. I'd really appreciate some suggestions on which route would be the better choice.

Last edited by red.devil_19 : 18th September 2017 at 09:02. Reason: Typo
red.devil_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 09:53   #1729
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
Hi Guys,

How is the present road condition between Ooty and Gudalur? I'll be travelling to Ooty from Bangalore in October. Planning to take the Masinagudi route while going. For the return leg, I have a toss up between the route via Gudalur & the one via Salem.

I'd prefer the Gudalur route since its shorter; but the last time I traveled on this route in Jan 2015, the condition of the road was extremely poor!

As per google maps, Ooty to my residence via Gudalur is 349 km & via Salem is 438 km. I'd really appreciate some suggestions on which route would be the better choice.
The Ooty-Gudalur-Theppakadu road was relaid in 2015. So it no longer in in that terrible condition-Especially the Gudalur-Theppakadu stretch.

On the other hand, I think the Western Ghats-Nilgiri belt has been witnessing very heavy rain-especially over the last 2-3 days. So will probably need to wait and watch how it has impacted the roads.

Although the Gudalur route is shorter, I think time wise there will not be much of difference- I think you can take a call depending on where you are starting from in Ooty and also your destination in Bangalore.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 10:09   #1730
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
On the other hand, I think the Western Ghats-Nilgiri belt has been witnessing very heavy rain-especially over the last 2-3 days.
I sincerely hope lakes in Ooty get the much need boost. The water levels have been dwindling alarmingly.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2017, 11:16   #1731
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
The Ooty-Gudalur-Theppakadu road was relaid in 2015. So it no longer in in that terrible condition-Especially the Gudalur-Theppakadu stretch.

Although the Gudalur route is shorter, I think time wise there will not be much of difference- I think you can take a call depending on where you are starting from in Ooty and also your destination in Bangalore.
Thanks for the update Rajeevraj.

I'll be starting from Kadugodi in Bangalore and going to Club Mahindra Derby Green. While going, I'll leave Bangalore at around 4.30 AM. From my experience of driving on Mysore Road, this is a good time to start and I have rarely faced any traffic when leaving so early. I'd expect to reach the resort max by 3 pm with 2-3 breaks, via Masinagudi.

While returning (on a Sunday), I'll be leaving Ooty around 10 AM, after the scheduled check-out time at the resort. It'll not be a long weekend but I fear I'll either get slowed down in traffic on Mysore Road during the late afternoon or at the tolls if returning via Salem! So yeah, the decision ultimately depends on the exact road conditions. I do feel there are better options to take a break for food on the Ooty - Mysore - Bangalore route.
Old 18th September 2017, 13:23   #1732
BHPian

There is some fair going on in Srirangapatna. I dont know for how long but luckily I checked google before leaving Bangalore for Mysore on Saturday. Following the advise, I turned towards Kanakapura road after Maddur and saved maybe an hour.
ON the return journey Srirangapatna was completely blocked around lunch time.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/60724727.cms

Luckily the traffic towards Bangalore was not so bad. The stretch around Srirangapatna towards Mysore was certainly miserable.
deepak_misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2017, 11:33   #1733
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Am leaving for mudumalai tomorrow morning. I prefer the std Nice road=> Mysore road=>Mysore=>Nanjanagudu=> Gudlupete=> Masinagudi route.

Planning to leave by 4 AM keeping the long weekend traffic in mind. Since its Dasara, should i be leaving earlier or is there anything else i need to keep in mind?
sameerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 11:26   #1734
BHPian

Question Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

I'm driving to Ooty tomorrow from Bangalore.

Plan is to go via Masinagudi & return via Gundlupet.

I'd appreciate any further updates on the current road conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
Hi Guys,

Old 16th October 2017, 08:53   #1735
BHPian

Completed my Bangalore - Ooty - Bangalore trip over the weekend.

Started from Bangalore (Whitefield) on Saturday at 4.40 AM and was able to check-in to my hotel at 11.30 AM. Took a couple of breaks (total 50 mins) at Right-O and at a CCD after Masinagudi (= 6 hours on the road). Got a FE of 16.5 kpl without AC on my Beat petrol.

For the return journey, started around 10.30 AM from Ooty on Sunday. Took the Gudalur route. Made just one stop at Fishland for lunch (for about 1 hour) and reached Whitefield at 7.20 PM (= 8 hours on the road). Yet to calculate the FE.

Ooty was pleasant with a bit of rain which made for a nice cosy weather! My intention was to just go there, cut off from work and relax for a day, as I've pretty much seen everything Ooty has to offer on the numerous previous trips.

Spotted loads of deer, peacocks and a solitary wild boar while travelling through Bandipur.

Just a heads up on the road conditions for anyone planning to travel-

- Bangalore ORR & Nice Road have some nasty potholes. I started at 4.40 AM and in artificial lighting it was really difficult to spot them. I was somehow able to avoid the potholes but I'd advise to exercise caution when doing these sections. These potholes might cause some serious damage to your vehicles if you go over one of them!

- Mysore Road is in far better condition. The top layer of the tarmac has peeled off at various places but it wasn't a problem for me.

- Mysore ORR isn't in the best shape and the surface is quite rough but you can still cruise on it. There are a few big potholes but should be easy to avoid during daylight.

- After Mysore, all the way to Ooty via Masinagudi, the road was in top shape. This was my first experience on driving through the Masinagudi route. Yes its quite steep and had to do the climb mostly in 1st gear.

- While returning took the Gudalur route. Masinagudi was too steep for my comfort levels to go downhill! Ooty - Gudalur is mostly in good shape except for the final 10 kms where the road is riddled with broken surfaces & potholes. Overall it's definitely in a better condition than what I remember from my previous trips.
red.devil_19 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote