Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 11th November 2011, 12:53   #316
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Hi anyone has any idea about the route via Metupalyam, satyamangalam, chamrajnagar, kanakpura towards Ooty. Wanted to know the route condition if anyone has tried recently, was trying to try this as an alternate route than using the usual Mysore route...for a change
I travelled in this route during the last week of September. Did not drive as we were going for a team outing. The road condition was good but will take around 9 - 10 hours.
pramodpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 14:30   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
I travelled in this route during the last week of September. Did not drive as we were going for a team outing. The road condition was good but will take around 9 - 10 hours.
Wow! 9hrs is quite a lot for around 350kms, i guess the entire stretch is undivided 2 lane highway with traffic, i guess i would have to drop this route since we were planning a late start from ooty.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 17:28   #318
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Wow! 9hrs is quite a lot for around 350kms, i guess the entire stretch is undivided 2 lane highway with traffic, i guess i would have to drop this route since we were planning a late start from ooty.
The point is if you are starting from Ooty, the route to Metupalayam and to Bangalore is a
roundabout. If you just want to try and enjoy the stretch, then its a different matter.

We are takling about 350km of total distance out of which about 150 would be around hilly regions.
So commute time will increase.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 22:05   #319
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi anyone has any idea about the route via Metupalyam, satyamangalam, chamrajnagar, kanakpura towards Ooty. Wanted to know the route condition if anyone has tried recently, was trying to try this as an alternate route than using the usual Mysore route...for a change
If you start early enough to be able pass the Mudumalai-Bandipur forest stretch before the closure time (Is it still 9PM or have they made it 6PM now ? can someone clarify ?) I'd suggest coming till Gundlupet on the regular route and then coming via Chamarajnagar, Kollegal-Kanakapura. Should be much shorter than going via Mettupalayam-Sathyamangalam.
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2011, 23:21   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
If you start early enough to be able pass the Mudumalai-Bandipur forest stretch before the closure time (Is it still 9PM or have they made it 6PM now ? can someone clarify ?) I'd suggest coming till Gundlupet on the regular route and then coming via Chamarajnagar, Kollegal-Kanakapura. Should be much shorter than going via Mettupalayam-Sathyamangalam.
Heard 6PM closure will be implemented after the Sabarimala season. Also, heard that the number of govt. buses that will be allowed to cross the forest during closure times will be increased to componsate for the additional 3 hours (6 PM to 9 PM) closure.

If anyone chooses Ooty-Mettupalayam-Satyamangalam-Chamarajnagar route, just consider the point that you are going down and then climbing up whereas Ooty-Mudumalai-Gundlupet is just coming down only. Also heard that the roads are not in good condition as well as the traffic is very painful around Mettupalayam, esp. towards Coimbatore side.
ajithbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2011, 12:12   #321
BHPian

Had been to Coimbatore from Bangalore last week by road and decided to take the Charmrajnagar route.

The route is very scenic and the road condition is also good. You can touch speeds of upto 100 but your average will not be in excess of 60-70 as the its a two land road and there are a few bad patches in between.

It took us 6.5 hours to cover a distance of 350 km from Khoday's factory on Kanakpura road to Coimbatore.

So, i suppose it may take the same time or maybe 30 mins plus or minus depending on the number of breaks one takes on his trip to Ooty.

Finally, for my trip to Ooty in December, have decided to go via Mysore-Nanjangud-Bandipur.

Cheers
pareshraheja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 22:07   #322
BHPian

All,

Do we have latest update on the following routes?
a. Bangalore-Mysore-Gundlepet-Masinagudi-Ooty
b. Bangalore-Mysore-Guldlepet-Gudalur-Ooty
c. Bangalore-Kanakapura-Chamarajanagar-Kollegal-Gudlepet

I'm to trying to arrive at a decent route that is scenic, has good surface, and less traffic.

Regards
Rex
rex_varghese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 22:14   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex_varghese View Post
All,

I'm to trying to arrive at a decent route that is scenic, has good surface, and less traffic.

Regards
Rex
All three routes are traffic prone.The 1st two routes,the roads are good.No problems whatsover.It is just a toss up between whether you want to climb up the 36hairpin Kalhetty ghat or do you want to go the longer Gudalur way.Roads are fine on both sections.

No update on the 3rd route from my side.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 22:36   #324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All,

I tried Routes a & b two months back.
If you have a car with good power, take Route a, which has 36 steep hair pin bends.
Route b is bit longer, but is a comfortable drive.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 23:43   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Travelled through this route this weekend (Saturday morning towards Gundlupet and Sunday evening towards Bangalore) - Updates on the conditions :

Bangalore-Kanakapura : Continues to be excellent, traffic is moderate, but far less than SH17

Kanakapura-Malavalli : Roads are still very good overall, but you do get a couple of bad potholes close to Malavalli, so need to be on the lookout.

Malavalli-Kollegal : Again excellent most of the way except the last 3-4 kms close to Kollegal where the road is rather rough.

Kollegal-Chamarajanagar : Some repairs have been done in the first 5 kms which was rough, but there are some rough stretches even now. Roads are otherwise good to very good, except that you need to go slow through 4 or 5 villages on the way where the roads are quite narrow.

Chamarajanagar-Gundlupet : Road conditions average, there are 2 or 3 extremely rough stretchs (each one is short - may be only 30-40 metres, but you need to be on the lookout for them).

Overall the road is not as buttersmooth as it was 3-4 months ago, but still in quite good shape.

I did NICE road/Kanakapura road intersection to Gundlupet in 3 hours 10 minutes (it was raining off and on) and took about 3 hours 35 minutes for the return journey (Had to drive quite slowly most of the way thanks to a continuous drizzle and the bad headlights on my Figo).
Old 29th November 2011, 10:39   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Travelled through this route this weekend (Saturday morning towards Gundlupet and Sunday evening towards Bangalore) - Updates on the conditions :
Thanks Kala. How come we missed you?

I was aslo driving on this route over the weekend to Sulthan Bathery. You are absolutely right on road condition and i don't have to repeat it.

I was little sceptical on Chamaraja Nagar - Gundlupet and was surprised at good road condition.

Yes, this should be the road to take for anyone planning to go to Wayanad/Ooty. It is very scenic too. Wait for a small photologue of the trip.

We left Bangalore from my home on Bannerghatta road at 8.30 AM and were there in Bathery at 2.30 PM with 40 minutes break on the way stopping to click pictures. It was a beautiful drive and solid stress
buster

On the way back we took Vaduvanchal - Gudalur - Bangalore. What a road!!! Butter smooth and possibly most beautiful stretches in the south India at this point of time. Though curvy and stopping at many places to clik pictures, we were back in Bangalore at 4 PM having left our Homestay in Vaduvanchal at 10 AM.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 12:36   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Thanks Kala. How come we missed you?

I was aslo driving on this route over the weekend to Sulthan Bathery. You are absolutely right on road condition and i don't have to repeat it.
Narrow miss indeed. I passed the NICE road intersection on Kanakapura Rd at around 8AM and passed Sulthan Bathery at 10 past noon (was going to Kalpetta). Had you been out on the road a wee bit earlier, I'm sure I'd have bumped into you somewhere on the way !!

There's always a next time
Old 29th November 2011, 20:28   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All,

Regards
Rex
There is hardly any difference between 1 and 2 from a road condition standpoint.
If the route the Masinagudi is on, you can reach Ooty at least 1-2 hours earlier as the route via Gudalur is at least 30Km more.

As regards to the third option, do note that teh roads are good, bui you dont have the luxury of hotels and clean rest rooms that you would find on the Mysore road.
This option is definitely scenic.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 10:52   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As regards to the third option, do note that teh roads are good, bui you dont have the luxury of hotels and clean rest rooms that you would find on the Mysore road.
This option is definitely scenic.
Yes, you dont have much choice on hotels.

Fortunately, a new hotel - Gokul - has started in Kanakapura which looked good looking at the cars parked outside.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 08:12   #330
BHPian

Im going to Mysore this Friday afternoon or early Saturday morning, can someone suggest how I can take NICE road to Mysore? I have tried it before, came on the NICE ring road, crossed the state highway exit only for the security man to say that I need to take the state highway since the NICE road isnt completed.

Im coming from Malleshwaram, can someone give me the directions how to take the route? Thanks !! Is the road completed upto Mysore city?
Blue_V is offline   Reply With Quote