Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 20th May 2013, 20:46   #676
BHPian

I have to go to Srirangapatna tomorrow morning. Last time I took the old chamrajpet-kengeri route, but the traffic accompanied with metro construction was quite pathetic. Even my boss' car got scratched on this congested route. Can you guys suggest what would be a good alternate route starting from 100ft road in Indiranagar at 8:00 am in the morning? We've got to reach there by 11:30. NICE road?
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 20:58   #677
BHPian

Default Re: Rants on Bangalore's traffic situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
I have to go to Srirangapatna tomorrow morning. Last time I took the old chamrajpet-kengeri route, but the traffic accompanied with metro construction was quite pathetic. Even my boss' car got scratched on this congested route. Can you guys suggest what would be a good alternate route starting from 100ft road in Indiranagar at 8:00 am in the morning? We've got to reach there by 11:30. NICE road?

If you want to skip that construction section take the Nice Road, it exists at Kengeri, way ahead of that chaos.
Shiv_1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 21:00   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv_1984 View Post
If you want to skip that construction section take the Nice Road, it exists at Kengeri, way ahead of that chaos.
And where should I take this from? Madiwala-EC Flyover-NICE Road or Bannerghatta-Kanakpura Road-NICE road? Any metro construction happening on these two mentioned routes?
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 21:41   #679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have to go to Srirangapatna tomorrow morning. Last time I took the old chamrajpet-kengeri route, NICE road?
At 8 in the morning, my suggestion is to take the regular route via Townhall-Mysore road flyover. You may face some traffic till Townhall, but after that it will be smooth. Going through NICE is not at all worth it since you are starting from Indiranagar which is at the opposite end of the city and nowhere near NICE road. With distance you cover to reach the NICE road entrance (any entrance), you can easily reach Nayandahalli.
addyhemmige is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 21:46   #680
BHPian

Quote:
And where should I take this from? Madiwala-EC Flyover-NICE Road or Bannerghatta-Kanakpura Road-NICE road? Any metro construction happening on these two mentioned routes?
Both the options exists, what matters is which is nearer for you. If you stay near HSR, Bellandur or Marthahalli, i would suggest to take the entry at Hosur Road, this way you bypass the rush at B.G. If you stay near K'mangala, BTM, JPNagar or B.G take the other entry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
At 8 in the morning, my suggestion is to take the regular route via Townhall-Mysore road flyover. You may face some traffic till Townhall, but after that it will be smooth. Going through NICE is not at all worth it since you are starting from Indiranagar which is at the opposite end of the city and nowhere near NICE road. With distance you cover to reach the NICE road entrance (any entrance), you can easily reach Nayandahalli.
I agree with him. The above suggestion was considering you stay nearby. Indiranagar is far off and travelling down to Nice Road just to bypass the construction is not worth. However, if you still give more priority to that, take your call.

Thanks!

Last edited by Shiv_1984 : 20th May 2013 at 21:49.
Shiv_1984 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 08:33   #681
BHPian

Default re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Need to travel to Gudalur this Friday from Bangalore. Considering taking the Kanakpura road till Chamarajnagar. Then to Gundultpet and Gudalur

How is the road from Malavalli to Chamrajnagar and also Chamrajnagar to Gundulpet?

Also need to know the issues at the checkpost. Planning to take couple of scotch bottles from Bangalore to gift to a friend
anupkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 16:58   #682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkma View Post
Need to travel to Gudalur this Friday from Bangalore. Considering taking the Kanakpura road till Chamarajnagar. Then to Gundultpet and Gudalur

How is the road from Malavalli to Chamrajnagar and also Chamrajnagar to Gundulpet?
I drove through this route on the way back from Ooty on Sunday eve. Compared to the numerous unmarked speedbreakers on the B'lore-Mysore highway, this one has maybe under half a dozen of them in all. I was on this route between 9pm and 12am. Barely any traffic and most of the oncoming traffic actually responded kindly to "please dip your high beam" requests.

I took the long distance route through Krishnagiri-Salem-Erode when going towards Ooty and these roads were excellent. In fact, the total time I took here matches closely with my route back through NH209 h'way. Anyone else with a similar observation?
nareshov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2013, 18:55   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

NH209 is in very good shape, so nothing to worry about the Malavalli-Chamarajanagar drive. Even the State highway between Chamarajnagar and Gundlupet is pretty decent though not up to the NH standard in terms of surface quality.

Quote:
Also need to know the issues at the checkpost. Planning to take couple of scotch bottles from Bangalore to gift to a friend
I've travelled through the Mudumalai checkpost a lot of times in the past 30 years and have never undergone a luggage check there. But I've seen some reports of the same in this forum. So may be you should play it safe and keep the bottles in some discreet place just to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov View Post
I took the long distance route through Krishnagiri-Salem-Erode when going towards Ooty and these roads were excellent. In fact, the total time I took here matches closely with my route back through NH209 h'way. Anyone else with a similar observation?
Are you saying that you took the same amount of time when travelling through Krishnagiri-Salem-Avinashi-Mettupalayam and while returning via Gundlupet ? That seems very surprising. I normally take under 6 hours to reach Ooty via the Gundlupet-Masinagudi route, and I'd expect the NH7/NH47/Mettupalayam drive to take at least 7 hours even when the traffic on the Mettupalayam-Ooty section is not at its peak. How much time did you take each way ?
kala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 13:10   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Are you saying that you took the same amount of time when travelling through Krishnagiri-Salem-Avinashi-Mettupalayam and while returning via Gundlupet ? That seems very surprising. I normally take under 6 hours to reach Ooty via the Gundlupet-Masinagudi route, and I'd expect the NH7/NH47/Mettupalayam drive to take at least 7 hours even when the traffic on the Mettupalayam-Ooty section is not at its peak. How much time did you take each way ?
Forward route through NH7/NH47/Mettupalayam: departed from Electronic city at around 9pm. Reached Erode by 2am (halted there). Departed Erode by 7am, reached Coonoor by 8:30am.

Reverse route through Gudalur/NH209 (police weren't allowing anyone to take the Masinagudi route near Sandynulla*): departed Ooty at around 5pm, reached Metro cash and carry at Kanakapura road at about 12am.

Stopped for a total of about 40-60 minutes on each route for food/water breaks.

*: Supposedly a tricky route for non-localites to navigate.
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:07   #685
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshov

Forward route through NH7/NH47/Mettupalayam: departed from Electronic city at around 9pm. Reached Erode by 2am (halted there). Departed Erode by 7am, reached Coonoor by 8:30am.
Are you sure about the timing from Erode to Coonoor?
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2013, 23:09   #686
BHPian

Oops. Nope, that's wrong -- I think it was close to 11am. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 24th May 2013, 03:45   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Am planning for a trip to coonoor from Bangalore on a Vento with my family. Wanted to check
1. What is the best route? Is it advisable to go via Kollegal and chamrajanagara? In case yes, do I go via Gundlupet or take the route via mettupalayam to coonoor?
2. Are there any good eateries available on the kollegal route. Advantage of Mysore road is multiple options for food. My son is 1 year and 3 months and my parents are bit old as well. Cant risk with food options
3. From Gundlupet are there any good alternative routes to reach coonoor directly without touching Ooty?

Please do share your inputs
Did you complete this journey? What route you took? Please share the road conditions as well.
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 06:04   #688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
Did you complete this journey? What route you took? Please share the road conditions as well.
Due to some last minute changes, I had to drop this plan. Will go in July once things settle down. Shall definitely update by then. Thanks to everyone for the inputs. Sad I couldn't go as planned.
prabhuferrari is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2013, 22:51   #689
BHPian

@shankar.Balan: Thank you for sharing specific info. My comments / queries in-line below:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Route(s):
Bangalore- Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Bandipur-Mudumalai-Theppakadu- Gudalur- Ooty. Nice peaceful, scenic and enjoyable drive.

I am in the process of doing research on the routes available & the above route made sense to me as well specially when you are travelling with a family.

...and it is bad in patches on the Gudalur route.

How bad are these patches? How many km's do they last?

Stay:
There are literally zillions of options and I would recommend that you check out the following for a comfortable, safe, predictable and enjoyable experience.
1. Gem Park, Fernhill Palace, Sullivan Court, Sherlock, Kings Cliff, Willow Hill, Lymond House,Club Mahindra Derby Greens and Monarch in Ooty.
2. Velan Ritz, MacIver's Retreat or Neemrana in Coonoor.

Thanks for sharing the names.

I always recommend that you spend just a little more on your accommodation, so as to make your trip truly memorable and hassle free.

For a Toy Train trip park your car in the Hotel and ask them to arrange a drop to the Station and a pick up when you come back. That is absolutely ideal. Distances within Ooty and Coonoor are negligible but on account of the Summer rush the traffic is bad.

Good idea.

Enjoy, don't litter, drive safe, give way to up-hill traffic, go easy on your horn, use your gears for efficient engine braking, be kind to Wildlife and Nature and do please help to keep our lovely Blue Hills as pristine as they have always been!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Due to some last minute changes, I had to drop this plan. Will go in July once things settle down. Shall definitely update by then. Thanks to everyone for the inputs. Sad I couldn't go as planned.
Good luck buddy. Do post your experience when you are back home.

Few queries i had:
1. How is the availability of petrol pumps on this route? When does the population starts become thin.
2. How long is the forest road? Which area / place / city does it start from? Do they let go the vehicles in groups for safety reasons?
quadra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2013, 08:44   #690
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadra View Post
@shankar.Balan: Thank you for sharing specific info. My comments / queries in-line below:

Quote:
Stay:
There are literally zillions of options and I would recommend that you check out the following for a comfortable, safe, predictable and enjoyable experience.
1. Gem Park, Fernhill Palace, Sullivan Court, Sherlock, Kings Cliff, Willow Hill, Lymond House,Club Mahindra Derby Greens and Monarch in Ooty.
2. Velan Ritz, MacIver's Retreat or Neemrana in Coonoor.

Thanks for sharing the names.
- Sherlock/Kings Cliff and Destiny Farm all belong to the same group called Little earth (http://www.littlearth.in)
- Destiny Farm is outside Ooty. Nice place for wilderness
- Couple of Taj properties. Savoy in Ooty and Gateway in Conoor. Savoy is a heritage property.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote