Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th April 2016, 07:22   #1396
Senior - BHPian
 
Blue Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Right here .
Posts: 1,630
Thanked: 328 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

I am planning a drive from Bangalore to Masinagudi via Mysore, and back.
On the return trip, which would be a better route? Via Mysore or the other route via Kanakapura? What would be the time required to travel from Masinagudi to Bangalore? Thanks in advance!
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 09:35   #1397
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,170
Thanked: 7,546 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I am planning a drive from Bangalore to Masinagudi via Mysore, and back.
On the return trip, which would be a better route? Via Mysore or the other route via Kanakapura? What would be the time required to travel from Masinagudi to Bangalore? Thanks in advance!
Depends on the day and time you are returning. If it is this Sunday post lunch, then the kanakpura route would be better. If it is a weekday, both routes should be fine.

Gundlepet to Bangalore ( NICE jn ) via kanakpura on an avg will take 3.5 hrs and I think masinagudi-gundlepet will be around 1hr. So 4.5 to 5 hrs driving time.

Mysore road on a Sunday evening will take longer. On a normal run should be around 4 hrs from gundlepet. May be slightly unpredictable due to work happening between nangangud and Mysore.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2016, 21:25   #1398
BHPian
 
iamnarayang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 68
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Friends. I am going on a three days trip to Ooty on Friday, April 29th morning, with my family. I am planning to leave at 5:30 AM from BTM Layout, Bangalore. I have never driven to Ooty before. Can you please suggest the best route?
iamnarayang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2016, 22:17   #1399
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore,Coorg
Posts: 788
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
Friends. I am going on a three days trip to Ooty on Friday, April 29th morning, with my family. I am planning to leave at 5:30 AM from BTM Layout, Bangalore. I have never driven to Ooty before. Can you please suggest the best route?
If you are planning to leave early then the Bangalore Mysore highway will be fine. You will likely only get some traffic at Mandya and Mysore. Once you hit Mysore take the ring road. Even if it is longer, the road is good and traffic will be less. Additionally, going through Mysore means you need to know the roads otherwise you can wind up getting confused. From Mysore the road is the one via Nanjangud. Enjoy your trip
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2016, 22:25   #1400
BHPian
 
iamnarayang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 68
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
If you are planning to leave early then the Bangalore Mysore highway will be fine. You will likely only get some traffic at Mandya and Mysore. Once you hit Mysore take the ring road. Even if it is longer, the road is good and traffic will be less. Additionally, going through Mysore means you need to know the roads otherwise you can wind up getting confused. From Mysore the road is the one via Nanjangud. Enjoy your trip
Thank you. Can you also please suggest a good restaurant for breakfast on the way? Normally i stop at Kadamba, after Chanapatna when going to Mysore. but considering my early departure, it will be too early for breakfast at Channapatna. Is there any good restaurant near / around Mandya?

I will be leaving Ooty on Sunday, May 1st afternoon. I suppose Mysore road should be avoided and take Kanakapura road instead?
iamnarayang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2016, 22:40   #1401
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore,Coorg
Posts: 788
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
Thank you. Can you also please suggest a good restaurant for breakfast on the way? Normally i stop at Kadamba, after Chanapatna when going to Mysore. but considering my early departure, it will be too early for breakfast at Channapatna. Is there any good restaurant near / around Mandya?

I will be leaving Ooty on Sunday, May 1st afternoon. I suppose Mysore road should be avoided and take Kanakapura road instead?
In Mandya, Haripriya is a good restaurant. When going to Mysore it is on the right side. A little earlier, in Maddur, there are various options. Adigas, opposite that Thimmadas and then Maddur Tiffanys.
On your return avoid the Mysore Bangalore highway if possible on Sunday evening. Traffic is generally bad between 4 and 9 pm
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 10:09   #1402
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,586
Thanked: 4,291 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
Can you also please suggest a good restaurant for breakfast on the way? Normally i stop at Kadamba, after Chanapatna when going to Mysore. but considering my early departure, it will be too early for breakfast at Channapatna. Is there any good restaurant near / around Mandya?
As you already know, the Bangalore-Mysore road has several options all the way for breakfast/food breaks. Most of the places open around 6:45-7am.
You can even stop at Adigas near Maddur or Shivalli or Maddur Tiffany's.
There are even a couple of food courts now, the second one being very close to Mysore outskirts.
If you start very early and none of these are open when you drive past, you can take the Mysore ORR by turning right at Columbia Asia hospital signal and stop at Kalyani which is a very good place, no detour also as this leads to Hunsur Road and is on the way to Madikeri.
On your return, you can stop at Nijaguna in Gundlupet or De Shell restaurant part of the Misty Rock Hotel campus (both these are almost opposite Coffee Day)
OR you can stop at Nijaguna Residency in Chamarajanagar and return via Kanakapura.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 12:56   #1403
BHPian
 
iamnarayang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 68
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
If you start very early and none of these are open when you drive past, you can take the Mysore ORR by turning right at Columbia Asia hospital signal and stop at Kalyani which is a very good place, no detour also as this leads to Hunsur Road and is on the way to Madikeri..
Thank you for your suggestion. One small correction though. I am going to Ooty and hence the right turn at Columbia Asia Hospital may not be valid. Instead I will be taking a left turn at the same spot. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards, Narayan.
iamnarayang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 13:44   #1404
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 887
Thanked: 638 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
Thank you for your suggestion. One small correction though. I am going to Ooty and hence the right turn at Columbia Asia Hospital may not be valid. Instead I will be taking a left turn at the same spot. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards, Narayan.
That is correct. Suggest you to take Left turn at Columbia Asia hospital and go via Lalith Mahal Palace/Mysore Turf Club road (near to Zoo)and join the Nanjangud Road.

BTW, remember that road construction work is going on between Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet as per reports in this thread, so be aware of it and drive carefully.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 13:54   #1405
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian
 
NPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 4,586
Thanked: 4,291 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
Thank you for your suggestion. One small correction though. I am going to Ooty and hence the right turn at Columbia Asia Hospital may not be valid. Instead I will be taking a left turn at the same spot. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Oops, sorry.
For Ooty, yes you can go to the left of Mysore ORR or drive straight into the city and go via the Palace (Nanjangud road). You can even consider stopping at Kamat Madhuvan opposite the Palace.
From here it is a straight road to Nanjangud and Gundlupet.
Alternatively, for your onward journey also you can consider the Kanakapura route (this way you can avoid the Nanjangud work in progress sections). In that case you can stop at Nijaguna Residency, Chamarajanagar and then reach Gundlupet. At Gundlupet, the road forks to the right for Sulthan Bathery on the Kerala side. Don't take the right turn, go straight here towards Bandipur and then Mudumalai on the TN side.
Again you have the option of continuing straight via Gudalur or turning left towards Masinagudi and taking the 36 hair-pin bend route.

Last edited by NPV : 18th April 2016 at 13:55.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 15:02   #1406
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,170
Thanked: 7,546 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnarayang View Post
Friends. I am going on a three days trip to Ooty on Friday, April 29th morning, with my family. I am planning to leave at 5:30 AM from BTM Layout, Bangalore. I have never driven to Ooty before. Can you please suggest the best route?
I had posted an update on Gundlepet-Mysore-Bangalore in the Bangalore-Calicut thread after my trip to Kerala last week. Reproducing it here

Quote:
Nangangud Mysore work is still in progress. In December this stretch was a lot of deviations with some parts of completed 4 lane sections. Now it is mostly completed 4 lane sections with some deviations. A new bridge at nangangud is nearing completion. As is one near that industrial area. Took the newly opened right ring of the Mysore ring road. Took 1 hr 20 min from Gundlepet to Columbia Asia signal. This included a 10 min block in the construction zone. Once the work completes, this should reduce to 1hr at steady 80kmph speeds.

Mysore Bangalore was smooth. Most of the humps seem gone now and even the barricades were there only in 2-3 places. Columbia Asia to nice jn took 2 hrs with slow progress through mandya and ramanagara. So overall flow seems much smoother without humps and barricades.
While going I had taken the Kanakpura route with a 5 am start from Bangalore. Good roads through out. On your return, if you reach Gundlepet after 2.30-3 PM, better to turn off towards Chamrajnagar-kanakpura route. But expect good amount of traffic between Kanakpura and Bangalore. It is 2 lane road and in all probability you will hit Kanakpura after dusk, so need to keep that also in mind.

If you have never driven Kanakpura-Chamrajnagar and intend to take it on your return, would recommend taking it for the To journey also so that you get a bit familiar with the route.
Rajeevraj is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 16:37   #1407
BHPian
 
redcruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 205
Thanked: 197 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
If you have never driven Kanakpura-Chamrajnagar and intend to take it on your return, would recommend taking it for the To journey also so that you get a bit familiar with the route.
I also agree with this point rajeevraj. Especially because there are lot of sharp curves in this route.
Restrict your speed especially when doing night driving.Overtaking should be done with caution in this route as it is 2 lane road.
redcruiser is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 11:56   #1408
Senior - BHPian
 
procrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,053
Thanked: 2,227 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Will be driving to Ooty this weekend:
Onward: Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Masinagudi - Ooty
Return: Ooty - Gudalur - Gundlupete - Chamrajnagar - Bangalore

Remember reading on this thread or the kerala roads thread that the road from Gudalur to Gunlupete was recently laid and is very good but has a lot of speed breakers. Can anyone confirm the same? If that's the case, then will probably return via Masinagudi - Chamrajnagar.
procrj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 12:12   #1409
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,085
Thanked: 583 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Remember reading on this thread or the kerala roads thread that the road from Gudalur to Gunlupete was recently laid and is very good but has a lot of speed breakers. Can anyone confirm the same? If that's the case, then will probably return via Masinagudi - Chamrajnagar.
You may not have that choice sometimes. During high traffic periods (such as Sunday afternoons) the police block off the Masinagudi road for downhill traffic and so you may be forced to go via Gudalur.

Also the only part you'd be avoiding would be the Gudalur to Theppekkadu section. You would still have another 15-20 kms of forest road from Theppekkadu to the Bandipur exit gate.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 12:54   #1410
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 887
Thanked: 638 Times
Default Re: Bangalore - Mysore - Ooty : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Will be driving to Ooty this weekend:
Onward: Bangalore - Mysore - Nanjangud - Masinagudi - Ooty
Return: Ooty - Gudalur - Gundlupete - Chamrajnagar - Bangalore

Remember reading on this thread or the kerala roads thread that the road from Gudalur to Gunlupete was recently laid and is very good but has a lot of speed breakers. Can anyone confirm the same? If that's the case, then will probably return via Masinagudi - Chamrajnagar.
Yes, Gudalur to Theppakadu is newly laid and is awesome but with good amount of speed breakers which is very much essential to reduce speed inside forest roads. This is very much needed, as too many accidents happening on wildlife as people drive rashly inside forest roads and honk stupidly.

As kala mentioned, you may not have choice to drive down hill as Masinagudi route is usually open only for uphill traffic in weekends/major holidays period.

-Ravi
ravib is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Madurai - Mysore - Ooty - Madurai : Route Queries RajeswaranK7 Route / Travel Queries 35 10th May 2017 13:31
Mysore - Yeswantpur - Airport - Mysore : Route Queries madaboutCARS Route / Travel Queries 18 25th December 2015 11:02
Wedding bells in the hills!::Pune-BLR-Mysore-Masinagudy-Ooty-Gudalur-Mysore-BLR-Pune pjbiju Travelogues 15 25th March 2009 14:25
My most Awaited trip Bangalore - ooty - Mukurthi Fishing Hut - ooty - Bangalore. bglsrini Travelogues 25 17th September 2008 18:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks