Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 31st December 2008, 14:39   #16
BHPian

The bad roads are in real pathetic condition, its only 60Kms though.
i don't have any experience with traveling with a kid on board so i can't suggest anything, but its always better to take all the precautions
thebagchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 15:31   #17
Team-BHP Support

I do not know the road conditions in the rest of Orissa at present but I just came back from Gopalpur 3 days back. I also went to Chilka.

My observations

* Orissa probably has the worst roads in the entire world. :-p
* Potholes at places are big enough to ground your car.
* At most other places either the road is simply not there or even worse have kuttch roads with small stones and pebbles strewn all over (your car blows a plume of dust and debris when you drive by).
* Even if you get to see some decent road the euphoria lasts hardly 2 kms and then you again take a diversion and end up on kutchcha-pakka road.

This is the current state of roads at least in the whole of Berhampur (Brahmapur?) district (Chilka also falls under this).

By the way, I did not find anything in Chilka that should make you think of a night stay there. I believe you will be better off staying at Bhubaneshwar, Konark, Puri or any other interesting place and just making a road trip down to Chilka for a day at max. There is just nothing out there except for 100s of vehicles and a OTDC run staying place and an attached restaurant. You walk on the reservoir walls and click some snaps. And if you are feeling extremely adventurous you can take a boat ride in the public boats (8-10 people together) in the dark brackish waters of Chilka. Thats about it.

Last edited by Zappo : 31st December 2008 at 15:33.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008, 15:56   #18
BHPian

There are small islands in Chilka Lake, few are famous of limbless Lizards, accommodation is not possible in Chilka.
Gopalpur is far better bet.
OTDC, panthanibas is the best place to put up.

Roads in Orissa are not all that bad either, NH34 takes the honor of being the worst road in India. But i ain't not sure about roads after BBSR. heard road is good for a hundred km after BBSR.
Old 31st December 2008, 16:03   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I do not know the road conditions in the rest of Orissa at present but I just came back from Gopalpur 3 days back. I also went to Chilka.

My observations

* Orissa probably has the worst roads in the entire world. :-p
Agree with you 100%. But Bihar may be worse. Three decades ago, my uncle made the same comments on Andhra roads--he used to drive down to Berhampur from Belgaum. Things have changed a lot in A.P. over the past decade.

* Potholes at places are big enough to ground your car.
* At most other places either the road is simply not there or even worse have kuttch roads with small stones and pebbles strewn all over (your car blows a plume of dust and debris when you drive by).
* Even if you get to see some decent road the euphoria lasts hardly 2 kms and then you again take a diversion and end up on kutchcha-pakka road.

This is the current state of roads at least in the whole of Berhampur (Brahmapur?) district (Chilka also falls under this).

Correction--it is Ganjam district. The HQ is Chatrapur, though Berhampur (now Brahmapur) is the biggest town there.

By the way, I did not find anything in Chilka that should make you think of a night stay there. I believe you will be better off staying at Bhubaneshwar, Konark, Puri or any other interesting place and just making a road trip down to Chilka for a day at max. There is just nothing out there except for 100s of vehicles and a OTDC run staying place and an attached restaurant. You walk on the reservoir walls and click some snaps. And if you are feeling extremely adventurous you can take a boat ride in the public boats (8-10 people together) in the dark brackish waters of Chilka. Thats about it.
I agree with you.Chilka is no big deal.
Zappo, my comments are in bold.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 15:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebagchi View Post
Kolkata - Kharagpur (3 Kms ahead of Kharagpur, Take the Straight Road instead of Flyover on the Left
Starting tomorrow morning - hopefully we'll be able to come back in one piece to tell the tale.

BTW - this NH60 Kharagpur Bypass is pretty confusing - is the route to Belda marked? I found the place on google earth - but the snapshots there seem to be quite old - doesn't show any flyover...

Last edited by arijit72 : 22nd January 2009 at 16:01. Reason: missed a phrase
arijit72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2009, 16:10   #21
BHPian

Its not marked well.
Its very confusing, few friends of mine often commit mistake on this turn.

Pointer - don't drive over the flyover, flyover will keep you on Mumbai Road, take the straight road underneath the flyover, thats chennai Road.

if you don't find concrete road in 500m after encountering flyover, you are in the wrong road.

don't worry except for stretch between Balasore - Bhadrak, you wouldn't find bad road.

Last edited by thebagchi : 22nd January 2009 at 16:14.
Old 28th January 2009, 16:35   #22

Atlast returned from the trip alive:-)

The road wasn't really bad - infact if you are familiar with Jessore Road (NH34) then the stretch from Balasore to Bhadrak would seem quite alright. The only trouble is in almost all over Orissa, the 4-lane NH5 seems like two separate roads running side by side with cars, buses, trucks moving in both directions on both sides.

One warning for all travellers - if you are coming towards Puri/Konark from Chilka, do not take that bypass (Jamjat or something) which some local people would suggest. Just take the normal Khurda Road route. This bypass is about 60 km before BBSR, and is marked as going towards Puri - but in fact it is totally in shambles with few spots of actual road remaining. You won't be able to drive at more than 20kmph (that too a max) and the car goes like a boat, swaying all over the place. There are roadworks going on, and nowhere they have proper passing places or people to manage traffic - you may end up on a one-half feet high concrete stretch with a truck coming from the opposite side, and you can't pass it, neither can give way to the truck. We lost about one and half hours on that road, and luckily the tyres didn't give way.

And one very important issue is the new OMVD road tax - they are collecting a road tax near Jaleswar, and the minimum slab is 6 months. I don't have any problem in paying a tax (although, this is the first time I've seen such a rule) - but why should I pay 6 months tax when I'm going there only for 3/4 days? There's a thread in Team-BHP on this - and I tried to argue with the OMVD people about the legality of this tax. Unfortunately, all the other travellers on other vehicles agreed to pay the tax, and I was kind of cornered into paying it. Although I've forced the OMVD guy to give me a photocopy of the rule and have also taken his name and designation, and I'm thinking of filing a PIL (afaik, it's easy to file one - I don't know what happens next). I spoke to the people within the WB commercial tax booth while coming back - and they say that others have been complaining too, but Orissa Govt. won't listen to any of it. May be a ten-fold tax on all Orissa number plate cars at the borders of all neighbouring states would force them to rethink.

Thanx to all Team-BHP-ians for providing me with lots of information on the routes and road conditions.
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:15   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijit72 View Post
Atlast returned from the trip alive:-)...
Thanx to all Team-BHP-ians for providing me with lots of information on the routes and road conditions.
And here's the travelogue - Time to stand up for what you believe: Kolkata to Chilika - a travelogue
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:49   #24
BHPian

Road between Bhadrak - Balasore has been repaired offlate!
i was able to cruise through even in pitch dark
Old 2nd February 2009, 15:36   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arijit72 View Post
And one very important issue is the new OMVD road tax - they are collecting a road tax near Jaleswar, and the minimum slab is 6 months. I don't have any problem in paying a tax (although, this is the first time I've seen such a rule) - but why should I pay 6 months tax when I'm going there only for 3/4 days? There's a thread in Team-BHP on this - and I tried to argue with the OMVD people about the legality of this tax.
You actually paid the tax and got a receipt? They were not giving receipts when I was there in end-December, so I refused to pay. The asking was Rs.800, but it seemed it was negotiable. No MVD is supposed to levy any such tax to a non-commercial vehicle (read private car) in any state in India, far less without a receipt.

Members elsewhere kindly give your inputs about whether you have had such taxes levied on you when entering another state.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2009, 16:06   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
You actually paid the tax and got a receipt? They were not giving receipts when I was there in end-December, so I refused to pay. The asking was Rs.800, but it seemed it was negotiable. No MVD is supposed to levy any such tax to a non-commercial vehicle (read private car) in any state in India, far less without a receipt.

Members elsewhere kindly give your inputs about whether you have had such taxes levied on you when entering another state.
Yes, they were giving receipts - although, the receipt could have been printed, signed and stamped by anyone. As I said, I wasn't willing to pay it - but once others start paying, you can't do much. On my way back, I spoke to the guys in the WB tax booth - and they said that they received lots of such complaints, but it's not upto them. Even there have been complaints at the OMVD, who refuse to pay any attention.

My dad told me that long ago, the present WB finance minister personally used to collect such taxes at the Bihar-WB border even from people crossing the border to attend the meetings/trainings organised by the Hindustan Fertiliser Corporation - and that was even more awful - 10 yrs tax for a day!!!

But currently, I think there are no such taxes anywhere else other than while entering Orissa - that too probably only on that route - don't think they have booths on rural routes.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:12   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Arijit: I'm glad I was warned about it earlier by a friend who also told me to tell the OMVD that I am from the Defence Services, and that no tax is leviable on us. Worked like a charm and I was let off scot free, even though a few others were paying.
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:06   #28
BHPian

There is no rubber Stamp on the receipt.
how can you be sure, that money is going OMVD.

Road Tax is levied on the price of vehicle since 1995, and before 1993 it was levied on the weight of the vehicle. MV Act are revised in 1995 and the rule on which they are asking for Road Tax is void.
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:20   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebagchi View Post
Road between Bhadrak - Balasore has been repaired offlate!
i was able to cruise through even in pitch dark
Oh good, but I would think the road still remains mostly single carriageway, which means slower speeds and constant vigil, esp. in the night. The mega-potholes have been filled.

One more observation: Surprisingly, I haven't come across any good dhabas or eateries on the stretch from Jaleshwar to Puri. WB has a lot of "mishtir dokan" (sweetmeat shops) all along the highways, where you can at least catch up on your hunger with samosas ("shingaras"), sweets, tea, soft drinks etc. Inside Orissa I found no place for a hunger pit-stop, except a lot of green coconuts being sold at Rs.5 on the Bhubaneshwar-Puri stretch.
Old 3rd February 2009, 13:33   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Oh good, but I would think the road still remains mostly single carriageway, which means slower speeds and constant vigil, esp. in the night. The mega-potholes have been filled.
back breaking Potholes are filled, diversions remain.
diversions are well marked now.
Even at night one can spot the diversion warning on the road.
Overall its more easier to drive/ride on this section now

Quote:
One more observation: Surprisingly, I haven't come across any good dhabas or eateries on the stretch from Jaleshwar to Puri.
good Dhabas are present.
24Hr open Dhabas are present at Balasore, Soro, Bhadrak and Chandikhol