Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2011, 14:39   #61
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 185
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Driving In Europe How Its Different From U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
It's not always the case but. The people in South of Germany (Bayern and BW) are boringly courteous. But as you go up North, it's not so, always. When I used to visit my friends in Frankfurt, many cars zoomed past, even at zebra crossings, if I didn't make my intentions clear that you are going to cross, by stepping on to the road.
it's rule...and what is a rule if it can't be broken. and Frankfurt is full of turks and whatelse.
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 16:34   #62
BHPian
 
A350XWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BLR/FRA/STR
Posts: 790
Thanked: 525 Times
Default Re: Driving In Europe How Its Different From U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
it's rule...and what is a rule if it can't be broken. and Frankfurt is full of turks and whatelse.
That's right mate. Once you live in South for sometime, you get pampered by overly polite people (mostly) . But driving discipline is generally very high even in other parts of Germany.
Once, my colleague forgot to engage the handbrake on his car while visiting me. When we went back, the car had rolled back and hit a trailer which was parked behind. There was a good deal of damage to the car and a small scratch and a broken repeater lamp on the trailer. To my surprise, my colleague called up the trailer owner and told him about the incident and after giving his phone number, my colleague left. The damage to the trailer was so minor that the trailer owner told it was OK. I was wondering whether such kind of a behaviour can be seen, ever in our country.
A350XWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 16:39   #63
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 185
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Driving In Europe How Its Different From U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
That's right mate. Once you live in South for sometime, you get pampered by overly polite people (mostly) . But driving discipline is generally very high even in other parts of Germany.
Once, my colleague forgot to engage the handbrake on his car while visiting me. When we went back, the car had rolled back and hit a trailer which was parked behind. There was a good deal of damage to the car and a small scratch and a broken repeater lamp on the trailer. To my surprise, my colleague called up the trailer owner and told him about the incident and after giving his phone number, my colleague left. The damage to the trailer was so minor that the trailer owner told it was OK. I was wondering whether such kind of a behaviour can be seen, ever in our country.
That's again another rule/law that you have to inform police and owner and exchange information about insurance etc. with owner. you see it going to very costly for him even after reporting the accident/incident. not directly but in terms of increased insurance premium. i think it just boiled down to following and respecting the law and rules.
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 16:53   #64
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 185
Thanked: 46 Times
Post Re: Driving In Europe How Its Different From U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Thanks. Yes I will be there for only a month and I will be careful and will practice a lot before taking on the Autobahn .
here is one good website where you can rent the cars on relatively low rates:

Car Rentals in Italy, Germany, Portugal, Australia, Greece, France, Spain, U.K. Frankfurt.

or the cheapest way to travel in Central europe is with car pool....of course you wont be driving but will still enjoy the car journey.

Mitfahrgelegenheit Mitfahrzentrale Deutschland-Reisen in Europa ab 0 €-Mitfahrzentrale.de

enjoy.
Suess is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 20:54   #65
BHPian
 
AlphaKilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: VOMM-EDDW-EDDM
Posts: 773
Thanked: 362 Times
Default Re: Driving In Europe How Its Different From U.S.

hehehe true about the driving style of the costly turks!! Up north, I don't find any difference, "ZGermans are the tsame where ever tshey go". Regarding the money for obtaining a licence I guess its around 2000 now and there are some changes in points system too. There is an american collegue with us and she says that here its quite different world on the roads when compared to the US. other than the huge SUV's people are courteous and obtaining a licence here is quite tough. It seems she got her licence like we get in india. Drove in a dead straight road for a few mins and the official was satisfied. Gave her motorbike and car together.

In US, It seems it is easy to obtain licence in the country side/far side than in the cities(biggier Tier 1&2).
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 22:27   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 185
Thanked: 46 Times
Post Re: Driving In Europe How Its Different From U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post

In US, It seems it is easy to obtain licence in the country side/far side than in the cities(biggier Tier 1&2).
i think it's not must to go to Driving School in USA like india...you can learn from someone who is willing to train you ....but then of course he/she will be able only to teach what he/she knows!...and that's where problem starts. it's like gene science...if you know what i mean.

Last edited by Suess : 19th May 2011 at 22:28.
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 22:52   #67
BHPian
 
AlphaKilo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: VOMM-EDDW-EDDM
Posts: 773
Thanked: 362 Times
Default Re: Driving across Europe!

True Suess sir.

On the other hand, these days the A3(Autobahn 3) Frankfurt route and Munich routes are quite full. Traffic upto a few couple of kms have become quite common. Driving in and out of frankfurt or Munich/stuttgart has become a nightmare these days.
So for all those who are planning to drive to Munich(Bayern in general)/Frankfurt, use the country side routes, its beautiful, peaceful(its summer) and less congested.
AlphaKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 10:34   #68
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 394
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: Driving across Europe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaKilo View Post
True Suess sir.

On the other hand, these days the A3(Autobahn 3) Frankfurt route and Munich routes are quite full. Traffic upto a few couple of kms have become quite common. Driving in and out of frankfurt or Munich/stuttgart has become a nightmare these days.
So for all those who are planning to drive to Munich(Bayern in general)/Frankfurt, use the country side routes, its beautiful, peaceful(its summer) and less congested.
But remember that country side road speed limit is 40kmph! Though road is empty, if you zip through it you will be flagged! Fine in Germany is also huge! Any paperwork is not in order (like you have DL in new card format etc. South Germany BW, Baveria police expect your DL to be in book type!!! Any other format won't be acceptable. Though this restriction is subjective of officer), you also need to make deposit up to 1K Euros, till they verify your DL. Of course they will refund the money quickly (bank transfer).

Same compare with autobhan, atleast you can go at 80kmph (if no repair work of road is planned).
RaguHolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 12:36   #69
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 185
Thanked: 46 Times
Exclamation Re: Driving across Europe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
But remember that country side road speed limit is 40kmph! Though road is empty, if you zip through it you will be flagged! Fine in Germany is also huge! Any paperwork is not in order (like you have DL in new card format etc. South Germany BW, Baveria police expect your DL to be in book type!!! Any other format won't be acceptable. Though this restriction is subjective of officer), you also need to make deposit up to 1K Euros, till they verify your DL. Of course they will refund the money quickly (bank transfer).

Same compare with autobhan, atleast you can go at 80kmph (if no repair work of road is planned).
I am not sure if, RaguHolla, you are talking about Germany!? Because, on Country Road(Bundesstrassen) spped limit is 100kmph until stated otherwise. even inside cities/villages, it is 50kmph.
Autobahn are speed limit free until stated otherwise. Though recommanded is 120kmph.(so called Rechtgeschwindigkeit).

I have never heard about this book type/card type issue for license. They are all card type since 1996 i guess!
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 13:12   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 394
Thanked: 153 Times
Default Re: Driving across Europe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
I am not sure if, RaguHolla, you are talking about Germany!? Because, on Country Road(Bundesstrassen) spped limit is 100kmph until stated otherwise. even inside cities/villages, it is 50kmph.
Autobahn are speed limit free until stated otherwise. Though recommanded is 120kmph.(so called Rechtgeschwindigkeit).

I have never heard about this book type/card type issue for license. They are all card type since 1996 i guess!
You are correct that 100kmph is speed limit in country roads. However most cases where ever you enter through population its always 50kmph or less. Once we were flagged we told that speed limit was 40kmph (We didn't see any boards marking the same!).

The card type/book type issue still exists! I know 6 incidents where card type was objected. All occasions (twice I was present, others as told to me), Officers show you on their monitor how your (states sample) DL should look! They have DL format specific to States in India (a sample DL)! KA & KL Dl are book type. We were asked to deposit money and proceed. Two or three days later, DL is verified and money is returned.

I got license in 1998, and it was book!
RaguHolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 13:18   #71
BHPian
 
A350XWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BLR/FRA/STR
Posts: 790
Thanked: 525 Times
Default Re: Driving across Europe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suess View Post
I am not sure if, RaguHolla, you are talking about Germany!? Because, on Country Road(Bundesstrassen) spped limit is 100kmph until stated otherwise. even inside cities/villages, it is 50kmph.
Autobahn are speed limit free until stated otherwise. Though recommanded is 120kmph.(so called Rechtgeschwindigkeit).

I have never heard about this book type/card type issue for license. They are all card type since 1996 i guess!
+1. And most of the imposed speed limits on the country roads are 80kmph. 60kmph is rare and inside residential areas it can be as low as 30kmph. But if you are doing inter-city, it's mostly difficult that you come inside the cities or villages. Most of the cities and towns are by-passed, without the need for really going into the congested places.

I agree with the comment on license card also. Atleast my understanding is also the same.
A350XWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 14:50   #72
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 185
Thanked: 46 Times
Exclamation Re: Driving across Europe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaguHolla View Post
You are correct that 100kmph is speed limit in country roads. However most cases where ever you enter through population its always 50kmph or less. Once we were flagged we told that speed limit was 40kmph (We didn't see any boards marking the same!).

The card type/book type issue still exists! I know 6 incidents where card type was objected. All occasions (twice I was present, others as told to me), Officers show you on their monitor how your (states sample) DL should look! They have DL format specific to States in India (a sample DL)! KA & KL Dl are book type. We were asked to deposit money and proceed. Two or three days later, DL is verified and money is returned.

I got license in 1998, and it was book!
Whenever you enter in city/village you will see a board like this 1st picture below(image courtesy: kaltenkirchen.de). this means "you entering city. speed limit 50kmph". you might see a separate shield to specify a speed limit below this because of one reason or other.

whenever you leave the city/village through Landstrasse you will see a shield like 2nd picture below(image courtesy: abendblatt.de). it mean "city ends here. speed limit 100kmph"(if you are exiting the city through Landstrasse).

It hink this clearify the issue and i say anyone going to drive in Europe please, remember this.

About license type card/book, I think we are talking on different lines here....i guess you are reffering to indian license formates!? in germany they are all cards now.(so called European DLs). in india they are still in most places book type/paper type.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving across Europe!-kaltenkirchen_a__ortsschild_b.jpg  

Attached Images
 

Last edited by Suess : 20th May 2011 at 15:17.
Suess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 13:46   #73
BHPian
 
Rodeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 349
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Car hire in Europe

I am planning a trip to Europe with my family. We are 4 adults, 2 kids and a infant. While I know where all I want to go and the routes I will be taking, I still need to figure out our car hire.

Need suggestion which is the cheapest car hire there, will require a 7 seater. I will be hiring the car in Rome and will be leaving it in Vienna airport.

I have already did a similar trip in UK last year.
Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 20:16   #74
BHPian
 
flipsyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 636
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Car hire in Europe

I don't know about the cheapest but my experience with Europcar has been great! Excellent service and many pickup and drop off locations. I would definitely recommend Europcar. I think AVIS was my second choice.
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2012, 20:44   #75
BHPian
 
Rodeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 349
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Car hire in Europe

I just checked Europcar om their site and they are quoting 3+ Lakhs for 7 days hire with pick up in Rome and drop in Vienna. Hertz are much cheaper.
Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in Europe Saarth The International Automotive Scene 29 29th August 2017 00:57
The Sanskari Middle Europe Trip - From Berlin to Vienna via Eastern Europe mentalmaxout Travelogues 77 15th April 2016 22:16
Driving In Europe How Its Different From U.S. aparanjape Street Experiences 11 7th August 2011 20:29


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks