Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 9th June 2017, 02:33   #106
BHPian

Default Italy-Slovenia self drive trip - Advice Needed

6 of us are going to Europe this Sunday on a work trip.
We will land at Marco Polo Airport, Italy (near Venice) and will have to travel by road to Ljubljana, Slovenia.
We wanted to make this a self-driving trip but have no idea where to start and how to go about it. I need all possible advice for this.
Google shows just too many results and I can't possibly know what to trust from it.
Any advice from experienced people would be highly appreciated.

- Which are the better websites/companies who provide self-drive cars?
- How expensive is it approximately to hire a car mid-level SUV, for example a Fortuner in India?
- How does the self driving system work in Europe? Can we just hire from any country and then take it to whichever other country where we want within the schengen zone?
- I've obtained an International Driving Permit from the local RTO and will be carrying my Driving License as well. Any other paper work required?
- Suggestions on which cars to hire? SUVs are my favourite generally
crazy_rahul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 10:14   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Italy-Slovenia self drive trip - Advice Needed

Just checked with a friend who is touring Slovenia. He is using Sixt.

Update: they took shuttle from Venice to Ljubljana ( phew! who do we pronounce it?) and then took a car there. To drive in Slovenia, you need vignette sticker else you will get hefty fines. cars rented out of Slovenia wont have.
The shuttle service was- Gopti and seems they were very professional and reliable.

Seems Sixt website has details.

Last edited by jkdas : 9th June 2017 at 10:27.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2017, 10:56   #108
BHPian

Default Re: Italy-Slovenia self drive trip - Advice Needed

I have used sixt in Europe - it is excellent. But usually, all car rentals in Europe are located within walking distance of each other and are often side by side. Each of them might even have a kiosk at the Airport; especially at the larger airports.

I suggest you use something like http://www.autoeurope.eu - you can compare prices here.

Tell them the number of guys driving during the course of the trip and take full insurance coverage and pay any additional fee for the additional driver. IDP requirements vary but usually national licenses are sufficient - still handy to have an IDP.

When you rent a car, just walk around with the agent and mark any spots which have dents or scratches on the paper he will make you sign with a picture of the car.

Also, inform them that you will be taking the car across international borders.
invidious is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote