Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 2nd April 2008, 18:02   #31
Team-BHP Support

Cool air is good, but when its rarified there is slight missing. This can be felt in any old NA diesel near high RPM bands when air is needed.
You can simulate this by temporarily putting an obstruction in the air filter chamber.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 18:11   #32
Senior - BHPian

My Indica had tough time doing Manali-Rohtang-Keylong stretch. not becuse of type of car but because of the old generation diesel model. It was missing alot and one could see the blue smoke coming out, like out of breath.

I did Manali-Sarchu once in an Esteem, in mid july, when you see maximum rain and landslide. and we found only one landslide in whole stretch.

We scummed to our patience as did no preparation for the trip and AMS caught both me and wife. May be we did the mistake of staying at camps in Sarchu which are high on altitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Your Indica is a diesel with loads of torque in the low band..And cool air does wonders to a diesel..
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2008, 23:21   #33
Senior - BHPian

It can be done. One of my friends drove his wagon R last year. It can be done.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 09:11   #34
Team-BHP Support

There is a different between "Can be done" and "recommended".
For example you can do GT road in a car with ease. There is an almost nil chance that you will need 4x4 or high GC.
On the Leh route there is a good chance that due to some landslide, river etc., you come across a place where you need 4x4 or high GC, and there is no alternate way to get around.
Old 3rd April 2008, 09:17   #35
Senior - BHPian

Default Missing the point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
It can be done. One of my friends drove his wagon R last year. It can be done.
You guys keep missing the point. Yes, it CAN be done. But at what risk is the question. This area is not Delhi. This is wilderness. You do not find help or a mechanic on every corner. If you get badly stuck or damage your undercarriage you may sit there for a week or more.

tsk1979, I might give it a try to Keylong. If you run into a big washout or something you can always turn around and scoot back to Manali if it is early enough in the day. To Keylong, even if you get stuck or break down you have a chance of getting help. After Keylong it gets really rough.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 10:26   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
tanveer yaar,

no point getting worried. In late may, saw a couple of indicas among the hordes of sumos scorps and taveras

@diesel. You think even a 4wd could sail through that slush? which is why go by the srinagar route. its easy in comparison.

and trucks do it all the time. they are good ole 2 wd. so chill and don't think too much. Its just a road man.
Gave it a good overnight thought... I still gotta explore the routes. But hey you are right, 'chance pe dance to karna padega' otherwise no fun... hehehe..

anyways guys any idea when does the route open?? is it like open in April sometime??
diezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 10:39   #37
Senior - BHPian

For the first time, Srinagar-Zoji La Dras route is already open. The Rohtang Pass normally open in mid-May, after which the Manali-Leh road will be open. Early winter snow sets in the first week of October, but road remains open erratically, although I am not sure whether the army will let you through.

mid-May to end-Sep is the open period for the entire Manali-Leh-Srinagar stretch.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:31   #38
Team-BHP Support

There is a western disturbance coming up.
If it dumps snow on Rohtang, the opening will be in Mid may. If not, then due to exceptionally hot temperatures the opening may happen April end.
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

There was fresh snow in rohtang last week and currently too the weather is bad and very wetty.

So expect a late opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
For the first time, Srinagar-Zoji La Dras route is already open. The Rohtang Pass normally open in mid-May, after which the Manali-Leh road will be open. Early winter snow sets in the first week of October, but road remains open erratically, although I am not sure whether the army will let you through.

mid-May to end-Sep is the open period for the entire Manali-Leh-Srinagar stretch.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 11:48   #40
BHPian

The only thing that you will miss is four monks sitting in the middle of the intersections ,pointing in four different direction when you ask them for the nearest service station
gameonrwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:34   #41
Senior - BHPian

When I say it can be done I mean that the odds are favourable. Road is worse between Gramphu and Tandi. Barring a few odd patches otherwise the route is perfectly ok for a car. If you get stuck with a breakdown dont worry there are n number of trucks and passenger vehicles doing the grind during the season. Army recovery teams are there to recover and preserve your vehicle till help comes. Minor repairs are often done by army to private vehicles if you ask real nicely.
The road potholes are no worse than what you encounter on certain roads around delhi so all it takes is a bit of cautious driving and a cool head ofcoirse the knowledge of how your car works is an important part. I have done this route thrice in different vehicles and its always the same story. The earlier you do it the better as road deteriorates quickly after th e truck convoys become regulars.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 15:22   #42
BHPian

Has anyone done the Srinagar route?? As the route is near POK are their any cross-border firing to be worried about... If yes, then I better get hold of a PSG to snipe some out...

(You never know, a passenger vehicle, on a road trip, can be a cause of another war)

Just kidding, but can anyone post pics of that route, or any detailed intel will be a welcome...
diezel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 15:57   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post

Agree with Kumar. I drove to Rohtang pass top in my dad's Matiz in 2006 in Sep. Road was largely not a problem at that time (except a couple of stretches, ofcourse, you need to slow down to a crawl where required).
By contrast I drove to Gangotri (also in Matiz) in May '05 and the road from Harsil to Gangotri was opened in that week. The road was in very bad shape between these 2 point - and I could see roadwork had started.
So Sep/Oct is the better time to visit such heights.
Regards,
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 16:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

After Kargil, you do see warning signs saying "Enemy is Watching" beacuse at one point, Pakis control the heights. You can actually see their observation bunkers on the top of the mountain. When I went in 2003, the Kargil-Dras road was open only at night, and was in shambles (hardly a road, only mountains of rubble).

Incidentally, the Srinagar-Zoji la-Dras road is not yet open, the news I got was a April Fool joke mail.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 16:59   #45
Team-BHP Support

you too got caught hvkumar. The bcmtouring guys deserve a spanking. I wonder how many bikers decided to pack their bags for this weekend
the road was supposed to open on 15th march, but fresh snow is being dumped on Rohtang etc., right now, and if it snows heavily, both the route opening will be delayed