Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 3rd April 2008, 11:50   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Advice for a three day Rohru trip

the plan is simple
Day 1 morning : Ludhiana-Rohru
Day 2 : Explore surroundings(chansal pass)
Day 3 : Return to Delhi via chd

Now I need some details.
I have seen the road map etc., via shimla and it appears to be a 3-4 hour journey from shimla, right?
Places of interest around Rohru? Not a fan of religious toursim, so would like to know about river sides, good spots to picnic, jungle walks and "Chansal Pass".
I have heard that its 35kms by road, but its a 4x4 track and last 5kms have to be done by foot?
Is it so?

Any more details anybody can furnish?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

@tsk what vehicle? If you ahve time try Chansal on foot. I went there last time and to tell you that its a 4X4 track is just about true. My scorpio (4x2) handeled it quite well with 6 adults. While going try taking the route via narkanda through pujarli. A very scenic route though the road is bad in patches. By bad I mean its a kutcha track in some places and the road is narrow but the views are spectacular especially around Ghansidhar.
Try driving toeither Chirgaon/ Sandhasu and get accomodation there not at Rohru.Lots of jungle walks and mild treks around the villages there some of which will take you up into the higher meadows.
I have some video clips of the route to Chansal pm me your email id and will tryt o send them across.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:39   #3
Team-BHP Support

the Vehicle will be either be a Aveo 1.6 or a Tata indica.
Planning to stay at Rohru because of the excellent hotel Chansel over there.
Will go through Theog because if we try to go through Narkanda its going to be a long long trip.
Any nice places to stay at Chirgaon/Sandhasu?
I will PM you my email id

About the Chansal Pass, can we go by car till the pass. I am lazy bones

Last edited by tsk1979 : 3rd April 2008 at 12:40.
Old 3rd April 2008, 15:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nopes, unless they have repaired the road now as it has been almost an year since I had gone. There is a nice HPSEB guest house by the banks of the Pabbar. Booking will be done at Chrigaon/Rohru. Also while going via theog visit the Hateshwari temple at Hatkoti. Nice Place.
We had started around 9 from Sandhasu and with an easy drive with frequent stops had comfortably made it to simla by around 5. See if you can start early. I have been through a lot of mountains but that road is simply marvelous. Add another day even if you plan for the normal ldh-theog-Rohru n some sightseeing there. Otherwise it would be hectic and tiring.
Old 3rd April 2008, 15:50   #5
Team-BHP Support

Is the HPSEB guesthouse in Rohru, before Rohru(towards hatkoti) or after Rohru(Towards narkanda).
Don't have another day right now. Just 3 days total.
Will come back to ldh from rohru instead of driving all the way to Delhi. Leave for Delhi next morning early.
Old 4th April 2008, 15:47   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Is the HPSEB guesthouse in Rohru, before Rohru(towards hatkoti) or after Rohru(Towards narkanda).
Don't have another day right now. Just 3 days total.
Will come back to ldh from rohru instead of driving all the way to Delhi. Leave for Delhi next morning early.
you ,might have seen it already, but now you can book online..

HP Tourism Development Corporation

Hotel Chanshal, Rohru, Distt. Shimla (H.P.)-171207.
Tel: (01781 - 240661.[/FONT]
Deluxe Hotel

Last edited by Shankyz : 4th April 2008 at 15:52.
Shankyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2008, 16:18   #7
Team-BHP Support

Yup, I always use their interface for booking. But that limits you.
since this is not "on season" I can take the risk of exploration rather than advance booking.
Old 4th April 2008, 18:32   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

hmmm, another one on my burgeoning lists of places to see *sigh*
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2008, 03:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

@phamilyman Ill try to post some nice pics of the area here just to give you an idea why you must make that list shrink.
Here are the links to the videos. Small clips just to give you an idea of the route. At certain places they were still laying down the stone foundation for the road at that time and we had to place small wooden planks or stones in step formation to make the Scorp climp up to the stone level.
This is taking forever will post tomorrow.