Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street and Travel Experiences > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2008, 23:47   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Question Bangalore-Mysore-Sathyamangala-Munnar-Bangalore Trip

Hello,

I am planning for a trip for about 9 days to Kerala in Apr 08. I have made arrangements to stay in Munnar for 4 to 5 nights. The rest I need to plan. Request your recommendations on

1. Condition of roads: many advised me to go to munnar via Sathyamangalam because it is downhill & is quite scenic. But, suggested me to return to Bangalore via Salem. Given that my Maruti Baleno has low ground clearance and driving in bad roads is really painful, I would like your suggestion on which route to take. Also, please tell me whether the roads via Sathyamanga are deserted or we can expect decent traffic.

2. Many are suggesting me to visit "Guruvayur"... Looking for suggestion to include it in my trip (should I visit Guruvayur in onward journey or return journey).

3. I am planning to drive a maximum of 3 hours (one way) on any day for sight seeing. Any "must" see places within 75KM around Munnar?

Regards,
Ravi
ravi_hsrlayout is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 5th April 2008, 00:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,269
Thanked: 2,919 Times
Default

Route via Kanakapura, Malavalli, Chamarajanagar, Sathyamangalam is good.
Ghat roads up and down after Chamarajanagar.
Route via Sathy is preferred because that is the most direct and currently the best condition road.
Direct route is via Coimbatore, Pollachi and Udumalaipet.
You have to pass through Coimbatore City. Alternatives exist but this is the easiest route.
Turn off at Udamalaipet and climb the ghats through Chinar and Maraiyoor.
Expect wildlife after Udumaipet after dark.
All roads are good.
In and around Munnar, you can cover Mattupetty, Kundale Dam, Top Station,Eravikulam, Panniar.
100 km from Munnar is Thekkady.
If you wish to go to Guruvayoor, take Kochi road from Munnar (NH49) and go via Kothamnagalam, Perumbavoor to Angamali (instead of Kochi), and from there take NH47 till Trissur. Go into Trissur town (off NH47) and Guruvayoor is just 25 kms away.
To return from Guruvayoor to Bangalore, you have choice of 2 routes - first via Coimbatore (and from there same onward journey route back home), which means you must come from Guruvayoor to Kunnamkulam and take the road via Pattambi, Shoranur, Ottapalam and Palakkad. Other route is to go via Calicut and Gundulpet (Kunnamkulam, Kuttipuram, Calicut, Kalpetta, Sultan's Battery, Gundulpet, Nanjangud, Mysore).
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 01:19   #3
BHPian
 
Maibaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 249
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

@Ravi - I drove to Munnar from Bangalore a couple of weeks back and took the exact routes that you have planned.

The journey from Bangalore was via Mysore, Nanjangud, Chamarajanagar, Sathtyamangalam, Punjaipuliampatti, Annur, Avanashi, Palladam, Udumalaipettai, Chinnar, Munnar. I got these directions from MapMyIndia website. I suggest you take the Annur, Coimbatore, Pollachi and Udumalaipet route which is much better.

I am sure most of us are aware of the excellent road conditions from Bangalore to Mysore. The roads are very much drivable in Karnataka from Mysore all the way till you cross the Sathyamangalam Ghats and then onwards the roads turn excellent. The ghat roads are narrow but extremely enjoyable to drive. I had heard this section is very beautiful and scenic. Sadly it was very cloudy and raining when we crossed the ghats and we missed all the scenic views.

Once you are back in the plains, there is not much traffic on the state highways in TN and you can drive comfortable at 80-100 km/hr. The roads are definitely not deserted. The only inconvenience I faced was that almost all signboards and milestones are marked in Tamil and I had to stop at all major intersections and ask for directions to the next town.

I don't see any reason to worry about low ground clearance as the roads are good.

On the return route via Salem, the distance is shorter when compared to the Sathamangalam route and the roads are also wider which means you can drive much faster. However, this advantage is negated by the fact that there is a lot of road widening activity going on and you have to slow down a lot and take diversions. Even the traffic is more on these roads which adds to the frustration. Be wary of sudden increase/decrease in road layers at a few places that can take you by surprise.

To sum it up, I really enjoyed the journey via Mysore and I wished I had taken the same route back.

Happy driving!
Maibaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2008, 09:09   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
akroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Posts: 2,402
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Route via Kanakapura, Malavalli, Chamarajanagar, Sathyamangalam is good.
I would rather suggest you to take Mysore Road and take left from Maddur. Maddur - Malavalli is ok. malavalli onwards road to well laid and in TN side roads are great.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Direct route is via Coimbatore, Pollachi and Udumalaipet.
You can BP Coimbatore. From Satyamangalam, take the coimbatore route, you will reach Annur. From Annur, ask for Somanur route. You will cross NH47 at Karumattampatti.
KMpatti to NH67 (4 km before IAF base, Sulur) via Somanur is about 10km and nice roads.
Take left on the main road NH67 (freshly laid and good). Another 10km will take you to Palladam. From Palladam take right for Udumalpet. Roads are all good.

I went to IAF base, Sulur on Mar2007 and NH67 was being upgraded. It was a nice drive then but it is even better now.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2008, 07:05   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Bangalore-Guruvayoor-Alleppey-Munnar-Mysore-Bangalore Trip

Thanks for the response.

I am pretty much close to finalizing the plan (see below).

1. Pls let me know if there are any risks with BLR-Guruvayoor route.
MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go!

2. Suggestions for budget accomadation in Alleppy and Munnar

Plan -
Day-1: BLR-Guruvayoor journey. Halt in Guruvayoor .
Day-2: Guruvayoor-Kochi-Alleppey. Halt in Alleppey
Day-3 to Day-6: Alleppey to Munnar - 4 days
Day-7:Munnar-Mysore
Day-8:Mysore-BLR

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th April 2008 at 11:01. Reason: Please do not post in all bold text.
ravi_hsrlayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 14:46   #6
BHPian
 
ranjith.rajaram's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pune >> Bangalore
Posts: 355
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_hsrlayout View Post
Thanks for the response.

I am pretty much close to finalizing the plan (see below).

1. Pls let me know if there are any risks with BLR-Guruvayoor route.
MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go!

2. Suggestions for budget accomadation in Alleppy and Munnar

Plan -
Day-1: BLR-Guruvayoor journey. Halt in Guruvayoor .
Day-2: Guruvayoor-Kochi-Alleppey. Halt in Alleppey
Day-3 to Day-6: Alleppey to Munnar - 4 days
Day-7:Munnar-Mysore
Day-8:Mysore-BLR
Hey Ravi,
I hope you will be taking this route. Hosur, Salem, Bhavani, byepass CBE and reach palakkad, wadakkenchery, Thrissure and Guruvayoor. This will be a 475 Kms streach and one of the best road in south India.

I am not sure about the road conditions after Palakkad. But before that its a 4 Lane stretch.

Few Hotel info - Munnar

Hill View Munnar - Rs. 1,247 Rs. 1,900 - Kannan Devan Hills
Misha Holiday Homes - Rs 1200 - Misha Junction, Devikulam Road
Ayur Country Chancellor Resort - Rs 1400 - Chinnakanal
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 15:04   #7
MX6
Senior - BHPian
 
MX6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: City of seven islands.
Posts: 2,887
Thanked: 192 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
Hey Ravi,
I hope you will be taking this route. Hosur, Salem, Bhavani, byepass CBE and reach palakkad, wadakkenchery, Thrissure and Guruvayoor. This will be a 475 Kms streach and one of the best road in south India.

I am not sure about the road conditions after Palakkad. But before that its a 4 Lane stretch.

Few Hotel info - Munnar

Hill View Munnar - Rs. 1,247 Rs. 1,900 - Kannan Devan Hills
Misha Holiday Homes - Rs 1200 - Misha Junction, Devikulam Road
Ayur Country Chancellor Resort - Rs 1400 - Chinnakanal
Ranjith. Ravi has finished his trip 2 years back I guess.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 15:35   #8
BHPian
 
ranjith.rajaram's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pune >> Bangalore
Posts: 355
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Ranjith. Ravi has finished his trip 2 years back I guess.
Oops I didn't see the date.. .. Thanks MX
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 16:48   #9
BHPian
 
ranjith.rajaram's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pune >> Bangalore
Posts: 355
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Anyone have done Munnar - Mysore recently... ?

Please update me road condition as well as shorter/best route. I think this should be via Pollachi, CBE , Bandipur and Mysore. But I am not confident about this can any one throught some light on this
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 18:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,202
Thanked: 3,257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith.rajaram View Post
Anyone have done Munnar - Mysore recently... ?

Please update me road condition as well as shorter/best route. I think this should be via Pollachi, CBE , Bandipur and Mysore. But I am not confident about this can any one throught some light on this
If its from Bangalore go via Mysore Nanjangud Gudlupet - Sultan Bathery - kalpetta - Waynad.

After you cross Gudlupet you will get a Y junction where you need to take the right.

At Mysore take the Ooty road via ring road.

Dont know why you mention Pollachy/CBE etc.

Hope you intend to start from BLR as you asked for Mysore.

Roads are very good all the way.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 18:11   #11
BHPian
 
ranjith.rajaram's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pune >> Bangalore
Posts: 355
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
If its from Bangalore go via Mysore Nanjangud Gudlupet - Sultan Bathery - kalpetta - Waynad.

After you cross Gudlupet you will get a Y junction where you need to take the right.

At Mysore take the Ooty road via ring road.

Dont know why you mention Pollachy/CBE etc.

Hope you intend to start from BLR as you asked for Mysore.

Roads are very good all the way.
Ampere I am starting from Munnar and heading to Mysore. I am not going to Blr. For a day I will in Mysore & as per my previous thread I going to Pune from Mysore.

Thanks

Last edited by ranjith.rajaram : 14th April 2010 at 18:12. Reason: Spelling Mistake
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 18:30   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,202
Thanked: 3,257 Times
Default

Sorry I slipped. Thought Munnar to be Waynad !!! My Mistake.

Ooty to Mysore is very nice easy to drive.

Need to check out on the CBE to Ooty via Mettupalayam, as due to crash rains you may see lanslides. Check with others.
Munnar to CBE via Marayoor Udumalpetai is good.

Last edited by ampere : 14th April 2010 at 18:35.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 11:24   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,032
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Would it not make sense to go to Mysore from Ooty via Coimbatore - Sathyamangalam - Chamrajnagar rather than go via Ooty.
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 11:35   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,202
Thanked: 3,257 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Would it not make sense to go to Mysore from Ooty via Coimbatore - Sathyamangalam - Chamrajnagar rather than go via Ooty.
The distances are same. I am not sure of the road conditions.
In fact if one wants to go via Sathyamangalam, he can actually avoid CBE.

From Udumalpet got to Palladam-Tirrupur-Avinashi-Gobichettypalayam-Sathyamangalam and then onwards to Mysore.

I think MX mentioned that the Gobi route is decent. (I am not sure of the status though). The climb is steep though and also its pretty secluded area. Very scenic.

Also not sure of any food options.

Last edited by ampere : 15th April 2010 at 11:39.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2010, 12:09   #15
BHPian
 
ranjith.rajaram's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pune >> Bangalore
Posts: 355
Thanked: 9 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The distances are same. I am not sure of the road conditions.
In fact if one wants to go via Sathyamangalam, he can actually avoid CBE.

From Udumalpet got to Palladam-Tirrupur-Avinashi-Gobichettypalayam-Sathyamangalam and then onwards to Mysore.

I think MX mentioned that the Gobi route is decent. (I am not sure of the status though). The climb is steep though and also its pretty secluded area. Very scenic.

Also not sure of any food options.
Ampere I feel this route is better Munnar -> Marayoor - > Udumalpetai -> Palladam -> Tirrupur -> Avinashi-> Gobichettypalayam -> Sathyamangalam and Mysore. Can you also tell me how lond its going to take from Munnar to Mysore ?

@ Mx6 Please let me know the road condtion ?

Ampere On the other route Via Ooty Do I have to climb Ooty? Then I will definatley avoid it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Would it not make sense to go to Mysore from Ooty via Coimbatore - Sathyamangalam - Chamrajnagar rather than go via Ooty.
Thanks Sri for the heads up !!!
ranjith.rajaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore - Munnar Trip Log rahulv Travelogues 38 16th September 2011 15:20
Bangalore - Munnar - Kumarakom - Wayanad... 8 Day trip!! pramod Travelogues 70 10th May 2009 23:57
Bangalore - Munnar - Guruvayoor - Bangalore trip SureshS Travelogues 14 5th September 2008 13:24
Bangalore Munnar-kannur-bangalore -1500kms Round Trip ad75 Travelogues 25 23rd April 2008 13:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:13.

Copyright 2000 - 2014, Team-BHP.com