Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2009, 20:29   #151
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neur0t0xin View Post
Hi, We are planning a road trip from kodaikanal to munnar. It would be really helpful if somenone provides the current status of roads. We are planning to take the Theni-devikulam route.
My keralite friend says the road conditions are bad and we'll encounter thick foggy conditions which would make the drive real hard and ? dangerous.
Waiting in for your inputs guys
Thank you
Excellent roads. Mild fog likely in 2 places at certain times of the day - between Munnar and Devikulam and between Poopara and Bodinayakanur. Besides, you can expect some fog between Perumalkulam and Kodai. But nothing to worry about.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:43   #152
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 39
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Any recent updates on bng-kodai route via mettur,bhavani

Hi,

Any recent updates on the road condition to kodaikanal from bangalore ( via mettur,bhavani )...Are the roads good after the recent rains ? Iam travelling this weekend and need some updates if I need to take this route or stick to Salem route..

Thanks
KPGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 19:04   #153
Senior - BHPian
 
Surprise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,299
Thanked: 129 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Excellent roads. Mild fog likely in 2 places at certain times of the day - between Munnar and Devikulam and between Poopara and Bodinayakanur. Besides, you can expect some fog between Perumalkulam and Kodai. But nothing to worry about.
Wanted to visit Munnar with onward via Kumuli (& return via Bodi.)

Day1- Chennai-Thekkady
Day2-Thekkady-Kumuli-Munnar + visiting couple of places in Munnar (waned to do stop & go trips to enjoy the nature)
Day-3- Any options (do not want to spend again in Munnar)
Day-4 - To Chennai- Can travel maximum up to 500-600 kms or 10-12 hrs travel

Wanted to check out is there any other place that can be covered on Day-3 instead of staying back at Munnar

PS: Not interested in Kodai as it was covered lots of time

Any other plan is also okay. Primary intention is to travel through Kumuli-Munnar road.. also which is advisable for better scenic view - Uphill or downhill

Last edited by Surprise : 23rd December 2009 at 19:07.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 19:13   #154
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Thekkady-Munnar is a 3 hour drive. The ideal circuit is Munnar-Mattupetty-Kundale-Top Station-Munnar, which can be done in half a day. THis circuit you can do immediately after arriving in Munnar - this is a separate road, being neither the Thekkady-Munnar nor the Munnar-Udumalaipet roads.

What to do the next day - I would leave Munnar in the morning, drive to Udumalaipet (your way to Madras), and from Pollachi go to Top Slip/Parambikulam. The only hitch is that it is unlikely that you will get accomodation there due to the holidays (there is limited Forest Dept accomodation in both the places, which have to be booked through the Forest Offices in Pollachi/Palakkad (?!). If you leave early enough - say, by 7 am - you should reach Top Slip by lunch time, and return to the plains at Pollachi (hotels) in case you do not get acco there. The next day, you could proceed from Pollachi via Coimbatore or Tiruppur to Madras.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 22:17   #155
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 59
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPGB View Post
Hi,

Any recent updates on the road condition to kodaikanal from bangalore ( via mettur,bhavani )...Are the roads good after the recent rains ? Iam travelling this weekend and need some updates if I need to take this route or stick to Salem route..

Thanks
I am doing a Blr-Palani trip this weekend and had asked the same question on a different thread. Here is one of the responses I got.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ml#post1647443

Seems like Mettur-Bhavani route is a good idea.
civicsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 11:06   #156
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 229
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Looks like a lot of people headed this side of the south Me too leaving for Kodai next tues/wed - i am in need of the following inputs, please help:
- road condition between Blr-Kodai (the usual Tbhp recommended route [FONT=&quot]Blr -> hosur -> mettur -> bavani -> dharapuram -> palani -> kodai)
- I plan to start from Blr in the afternoon, cover around 300-odd kms and intend to take an overnight break, since I am the lone driver. What would be a decent place in the recommended route?[/FONT]
royalcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 14:37   #157
BHPian
 
bijuks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 187
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neur0t0xin View Post
Hi, We are planning a road trip from kodaikanal to munnar. It would be really helpful if somenone provides the current status of roads. We are planning to take the Theni-devikulam route.
My keralite friend says the road conditions are bad and we'll encounter thick foggy conditions which would make the drive real hard and ? dangerous.
Waiting in for your inputs guys
Thank you
I traveled through this route on 21st Nov. The road is good. Fog - it will be a problem during evenings, night and early morning. I passed through the Bodi-Pooppara route in the night between 10:30 and 11:30. There were thick fog. But, if you drive slow and watch for the curves and hair-pin bends, it should be ok in the night too.

As I said, the road is in very good condition. So, no need to worry.
bijuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 14:58   #158
Senior - BHPian
 
ranjitp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,616
Thanked: 1,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
Looks like a lot of people headed this side of the south Me too leaving for Kodai next tues/wed - i am in need of the following inputs, please help:
- road condition between Blr-Kodai (the usual Tbhp recommended route [FONT=&quot]Blr -> hosur -> mettur -> bavani -> dharapuram -> palani -> kodai)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]- I plan to start from Blr in the afternoon, cover around 300-odd kms and intend to take an overnight break, since I am the lone driver. What would be a decent place in the recommended route?[/FONT]
Thoppur-Bhavani section is reported to be having bad stretches,easier to go via Salem and then onto NH47.Best place to stay overnite on this route would be Salem,IMO there are no other places with options to stay on this route.
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 15:08   #159
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,609
Thanked: 8,606 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
Looks like a lot of people headed this side of the south Me too leaving for Kodai next tues/wed - i am in need of the following inputs, please help:
- road condition between Blr-Kodai (the usual Tbhp recommended route [FONT=&quot]Blr -> hosur -> mettur -> bavani -> dharapuram -> palani -> kodai)
- I plan to start from Blr in the afternoon, cover around 300-odd kms and intend to take an overnight break, since I am the lone driver. What would be a decent place in the recommended route?[/FONT]
I did the same on the way to Munnar. Try Cenney's Gateway. Its next to the five road's signal. Very good hotel, but a bit costly with rooms ~2600. I was very impressed with their service.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 15:17   #160
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 229
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Thoppur-Bhavani section is reported to be having bad stretches,easier to go via Salem and then onto NH47.Best place to stay overnite on this route would be Salem,IMO there are no other places with options to stay on this route.
Uh oh! So does this mean, I should take the NH47 route all the way to Kodai ie via Dindigul? Isnt that a longer route?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I did the same on the way to Munnar. Try Cenney's Gateway. Its next to the five road's signal. Very good hotel, but a bit costly with rooms ~2600. I was very impressed with their service.
Thanks ampere! I'm doing this beak of journey the first time - how's the route from Salem and beyond? Last time I struggled with a lot of road construction work being done
royalcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 15:32   #161
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,609
Thanked: 8,606 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser
Thanks ampere! I'm doing this beak of journey the first time - how's the route from Salem and beyond? Last time I struggled with a lot of road construction work being done
I took the NH47 from Salem towards Perindurai for my Munnar trip. I was OK with it. Although there was traffic, but one can hush it up in max 30-45 minutes of drive. Not that bad. And then the road is very good all way till Perindurai.

But I guess you are traveling to Kodai first. I did not take the NH7.

Here is hotel site:
Hotel Cenneys

I think I mentioned this quite some time back on a different post. The hotel group also runs a hotel management course in a campus very close. So I guess that's where their staff comes from !

Last edited by ampere : 24th December 2009 at 15:35.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 15:49   #162
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 229
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPGB View Post
Hi,

Any recent updates on the road condition to kodaikanal from bangalore ( via mettur,bhavani )...Are the roads good after the recent rains ? Iam travelling this weekend and need some updates if I need to take this route or stick to Salem route..

Thanks
Hey, it'll be good if you could provide an update when you are back from your trip. Do let me know the conditions which will help me with the route I should take
royalcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 15:51   #163
BHPian
 
bijuks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 187
Thanked: 14 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcruiser View Post
Uh oh! So does this mean, I should take the NH47 route all the way to Kodai ie via Dindigul? Isnt that a longer route?
The Dindigul route is NH7 (not 47). In my opinion, it would be best to take the Dindigul route (NH7) for Kodai, if you are planning to go through Salem.

The road is 4 lane 99% till Dindigul. And from there, it is two lane, but good. Traffic is also less (but toll road).

I'm taking the Dindigul - Theni - Bodi - Pooppara route to Kerala tomorrow morning.
bijuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 15:54   #164
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 229
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I took the NH47 from Salem towards Perindurai for my Munnar trip. I was OK with it. Although there was traffic, but one can hush it up in max 30-45 minutes of drive. Not that bad. And then the road is very good all way till Perindurai.

But I guess you are traveling to Kodai first. I did not take the NH7.
Thanks, man! Yep, I am going to Kodai first and now in a fix on which route to take Rather, Salem does not fall in the tbhp-recommended route!
royalcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 19:35   #165
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 229
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuks View Post
The Dindigul route is NH7 (not 47). In my opinion, it would be best to take the Dindigul route (NH7) for Kodai, if you are planning to go through Salem.

The road is 4 lane 99% till Dindigul. And from there, it is two lane, but good. Traffic is also less (but toll road).

I'm taking the Dindigul - Theni - Bodi - Pooppara route to Kerala tomorrow morning.
thanks biju! it'll be nice n easy to drive if the highway is good. could you the distance from Blr to kodai in this route - rather wanted to know how much more is the distance from the usual route taken by most.
and, yes, mistake - it is NH7!
royalcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore > Wayanad > Munnar > Kodaikanal > Pondicherry route Safety is Param Route / Travel Queries 18 7th November 2014 16:47
Getting drenched in Munnar (Bangalore to Munnar and Kannur) longdriveblusky Travelogues 12 20th November 2012 15:44
Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss VindyWheels Travelogues 54 20th September 2011 08:13
Need Info: Madurai - Kodaikanal - Munnar hyderabadi Route / Travel Queries 6 21st June 2007 10:03
Advice: How to go to Kodaikanal from Munnar and / or Tehkdi Subodh Kumar Route / Travel Queries 10 17th September 2006 22:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks