Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 16:21   #121
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 236
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

Thanks guys for the response. I will visit one while going and one while coming back.
Am already looking forward to the trip
ash_blore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 19:48   #122
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
I am off to Kodai on 18th morning. Planning the following route

Blore - krishnagiri - Dharmapuri - Salem - Namkkal - Karur - Dindigul - Vattlagundu - Kodai

Planning an early start 5AM. I think I can reach Kodai by around 3 PM.
I think the road till Salem is good and after that there is some 4 lane work going on (as per Ajmat).

I have never done this stretch before so is there anything to watch out for? Also I want to know where is a good place to stop for breakfast and lunch. Also recommendations for restaurants will be great.
I just returned from a trip to Kodai from Bangalore, since you are leaving tommorow morning I will give the brief summery now & post a detailed travel log later, as you have guessed correctly the NH7 after Salem is undergoing plenty of face lifts & all the direction/destination/mile stone boards have been removed, very difficult to navigate at junctions & very hard to find someone to ask for directions at 2 AM, I had planned as follows, we left in my Innova at 11PM on 12th May, all went well till Salem & I was very slow planning to reach Kodai @ the check in time of the resort which was 1030 AM, after Salem I had taken the wrong roads twice & had to find a 24 Hrs petrol pump to get directons & back track to the junctions I had over shot & reached dindigul @ 7 AM having done 367 KM from Bangalore, once again @ Dindigul there is a flyover with no direction board the shoots off towards Madurai, You have to take a right diviation to palani road that goes to Vathalagundu which is spelt Bathalabundu all along on the mile stones, the directions are good from there, then you reach a intersection showing palani to one side & Kodai the other, reached kodai @ 1000 Hrs & while returning on the 15th we had to go to palani so left at 9 Am & came to palani, stayed till 5 PM & while leaving we were advised of the alternate route to Bangalore which is a state highway & it is really great considering the NH 7, you can take this route to & from Kodai, it is Darapuram, Kangayam, perundurai, Bhavani, Mettur & Thopur, at Thoppur you join NH 7 while comming from Kodai or take diviation from NH 7 at thoppur to take the route to go to Kodai, nice high way, stright roads, no pot holes, few speed breakers all marked well, this thoppur comes in between Dharmapuri & Salem to the right, in case you miss it there is a nother chance to diviate at Malur & head to Bhavani to reach Kodai, stay away from NH 7 after Salem at all cost, its horrible,

we stayed at Villa retreat on coakers walk & is the best place I had seen in kodai, but you have to book well in advance, give it a try if you havent already made arrangements (which I doubt would be the case), try to leave a bit earlier than 5 AM, incomming traffic can be avoided, usually those who want to avoid night driving start by 3 AM to reach Kodai to make some use of the day, if you reach @ 3 PM it will be late for lunch & too tierd to visit any place with enthusiasm. hope you see this post before leaving & make use of it.

Have a safe journey, Drive Safe, Buckelup always, never abuse Highbeem.
drkumarmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 19:57   #123
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 6 Times
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep3in View Post
Friends could you please share any good hotels/resort for accommodation in kodakanal. The budget would be in range of 1500 -2500 Rs. I have searched google which gave a couple of hotels.Just wanted a review from someone who had been to Kodai.Please share the name and rates of the hotel.

Thanks
Just returned from Kodai on 15th May, stayed at Villa Retreat on coakers walk, net booked well in advance, standard room is 1688/- best location, wonderful service, breath taking view from the lawn.
drkumarmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 21:41   #124
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 236
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
I just returned from a trip to Kodai from Bangalore, since you are leaving tommorow morning I will give the brief summery now & post a detailed travel log later, as you have guessed correctly the NH7 after Salem is undergoing plenty of face lifts & all the direction/destination/mile stone boards have been removed, very difficult to navigate at junctions & very hard to find someone to ask for directions at 2 AM, I had planned as follows, we left in my Innova at 11PM on 12th May, all went well till Salem & I was very slow planning to reach Kodai @ the check in time of the resort which was 1030 AM, after Salem I had taken the wrong roads twice & had to find a 24 Hrs petrol pump to get directons & back track to the junctions I had over shot & reached dindigul @ 7 AM having done 367 KM from Bangalore, once again @ Dindigul there is a flyover with no direction board the shoots off towards Madurai, You have to take a right diviation to palani road that goes to Vathalagundu which is spelt Bathalabundu all along on the mile stones, the directions are good from there, then you reach a intersection showing palani to one side & Kodai the other, reached kodai @ 1000 Hrs & while returning on the 15th we had to go to palani so left at 9 Am & came to palani, stayed till 5 PM & while leaving we were advised of the alternate route to Bangalore which is a state highway & it is really great considering the NH 7, you can take this route to & from Kodai, it is Darapuram, Kangayam, perundurai, Bhavani, Mettur & Thopur, at Thoppur you join NH 7 while comming from Kodai or take diviation from NH 7 at thoppur to take the route to go to Kodai, nice high way, stright roads, no pot holes, few speed breakers all marked well, this thoppur comes in between Dharmapuri & Salem to the right, in case you miss it there is a nother chance to diviate at Malur & head to Bhavani to reach Kodai, stay away from NH 7 after Salem at all cost, its horrible,

Have a safe journey, Drive Safe, Buckelup always, never abuse Highbeem.
Thanks for the info. Great info. Do you know which SH it is that deviates from NH7 at Thopur? Is there any change in the total distance?

regarding hotel, I have already booked Grand Palace at 2700/night (b/f + dinner included)
ash_blore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 03:58   #125
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

hi guys!!

i am planning a trip to munnar and periyar wildlife sanctury around 23rd of this month..would it be a good time to visit? i will be travelling with my mother and my sis so what would be the best way to travel, my starting point would be bangalore. how are the roads, is it safe in a car like santro/getz(plan to hire) or should i use train/flight?

how would the weather conditions be? any other places if the above is not feasible, u could suggest off?
rd_maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 16:58   #126
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd_maverick View Post
hi guys!!

i am planning a trip to munnar and periyar wildlife sanctury around 23rd of this month..would it be a good time to visit? i will be travelling with my mother and my sis so what would be the best way to travel, my starting point would be bangalore. how are the roads, is it safe in a car like santro/getz(plan to hire) or should i use train/flight?

how would the weather conditions be? any other places if the above is not feasible, u could suggest off?
Best route would be upto salem on NH 7 & diviate to NH 47 at salem towards Avanashi take left diviation onto a SH towards Munnar through Palladam, Udumallaipettai, as far as the NH are concern I am sure they are good upto Avanashi, the SH not very sure but considering the parallel SH (Bhavani, Kangayam & Dharapuram ) it must be good, you can also take this route (Bhavani, Kangayam & Dharapuram ) upto Palani then take NH 209 till Udumallaipettai & reach Munnar, considering the present weather it must be rainy up there too, Santro should do fine, (considering Hiring a car the cost to convinience ratio would not workout I suppose) plan your trip as 50 Km for each hour of driving, irrespective of your speed the average will end up there, so plan well, keep the ghats at day light, enjoy the drive, we are not trying to set records & "break" them (Just an advice I have always tell myself on highways) nearby Munnar the only alternative is Kodai, must have started raining there too. I use google directions (maps.google.com/), its really very helpfull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
Thanks for the info. Great info. Do you know which SH it is that deviates from NH7 at Thopur? Is there any change in the total distance?

regarding hotel, I have already booked Grand Palace at 2700/night (b/f + dinner included)
That would be SH20 from thopur to Bhavani via Mechcheri & Mettur.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th May 2009 at 17:43. Reason: back to back posts
drkumarmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 19:14   #127
BHPian
 
arindamray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 749
Thanked: 79 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
you can also take this route (Bhavani, Kangayam & Dharapuram ) upto Palani then take NH 209 till Udumallaipettai & reach Munnar,
From Dharapuram you can travel straight to Udumallapetai and don't have to go via Palani.
arindamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 12:28   #128
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 217
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
Best route would be upto salem on NH 7 & diviate to NH 47 at salem towards Avanashi take left diviation onto a SH towards Munnar through Palladam, Udumallaipettai, as far as the NH are concern I am sure they are good upto Avanashi, the SH not very sure but considering the parallel SH (Bhavani, Kangayam & Dharapuram ) it must be good, you can also take this route (Bhavani, Kangayam & Dharapuram ) upto Palani then take NH 209 till Udumallaipettai & reach Munnar,
Did Bangalore-Munnar two weeks back - my suggestion would be to avoid Salem altogether. NH7 is still unfinished in patches between Toppur and Salem. From Salem to Bavani, the construction is in full swing - in other words a zillion diversions en route.

Take the Toppur - Mettur- Bhavani - Avanashi - Palladam - Udumalaipet route. Roads are awesome and very less traffic.

Last edited by bullinb : 20th May 2009 at 12:39.
bullinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2009, 21:15   #129
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinb View Post
Did Bangalore-Munnar two weeks back - my suggestion would be to avoid Salem altogether. NH7 is still unfinished in patches between Toppur and Salem. From Salem to Bavani, the construction is in full swing - in other words a zillion diversions en route.

Take the Toppur - Mettur- Bhavani - Avanashi - Palladam - Udumalaipet route. Roads are awesome and very less traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamray View Post
From Dharapuram you can travel straight to Udumallapetai and don't have to go via Palani.
both the suggested routes are the best ones as I had posted in my original trip log post, the other two were alternates in case anyone wanted to stay on the NH and avoid going in and out of small towns/villages, but considering the bad state of NH & the smoothness of this toppur - kangayam route its worth the trouble.
drkumarmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 11:34   #130
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dubai
Posts: 5
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

sorry for the late reply, have been travelling.
Thanks for the response guys!! will clearly keep it in mind when i do the trip.

Drive safe.Cheers
rd_maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 22:36   #131
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 236
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drkumarmp View Post
I just returned from a trip to Kodai from Bangalore, since you are leaving tommorow morning I will give the brief summery now & post a detailed travel log later, as you have guessed correctly the NH7 after Salem is undergoing plenty of face lifts & all the direction/destination/mile stone boards have been removed, very difficult to navigate at junctions & very hard to find someone to ask for directions at 2 AM, I had planned as follows, we left in my Innova at 11PM on 12th May, all went well till Salem & I was very slow planning to reach Kodai @ the check in time of the resort which was 1030 AM, after Salem I had taken the wrong roads twice & had to find a 24 Hrs petrol pump to get directons & back track to the junctions I had over shot & reached dindigul @ 7 AM having done 367 KM from Bangalore, once again @ Dindigul there is a flyover with no direction board the shoots off towards Madurai, You have to take a right diviation to palani road that goes to Vathalagundu which is spelt Bathalabundu all along on the mile stones, the directions are good from there, then you reach a intersection showing palani to one side & Kodai the other, reached kodai @ 1000 Hrs & while returning on the 15th we had to go to palani so left at 9 Am & came to palani, stayed till 5 PM & while leaving we were advised of the alternate route to Bangalore which is a state highway & it is really great considering the NH 7, you can take this route to & from Kodai, it is Darapuram, Kangayam, perundurai, Bhavani, Mettur & Thopur, at Thoppur you join NH 7 while comming from Kodai or take diviation from NH 7 at thoppur to take the route to go to Kodai, nice high way, stright roads, no pot holes, few speed breakers all marked well, this thoppur comes in between Dharmapuri & Salem to the right, in case you miss it there is a nother chance to diviate at Malur & head to Bhavani to reach Kodai, stay away from NH 7 after Salem at all cost, its horrible,

Have a safe journey, Drive Safe, Buckelup always, never abuse Highbeem.
Thanks for the tip. Took the palani route to kodai. Absolutely great with no problems. Was sort of forced to take the NH7 route back to bangalore. This made me appreciate the palani route even more.
ash_blore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2009, 10:39   #132
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 38
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash_blore View Post
Thanks for the tip. Took the palani route to kodai. Absolutely great with no problems. Was sort of forced to take the NH7 route back to bangalore. This made me appreciate the palani route even more.
I wish I had taken similar advise from this site, I thought the maps & google directions will do until I returned & saw the post in the forum, that’s why I wanted to start contributing my experiences here, glad to hear that you had a nice safe trip, hope you will post some pictures later.
drkumarmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 14:09   #133
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 229
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Hi,
Its been 2 months since I returned from Japan and till now busy with hectic schedules. Now got a chance to go for a vacation for 9 days ( from 26th Sept - 4th Oct, with 3 days leave applied). Somehow convinced my wife to do the trip in our Indica. This will be my 2nd long drive ( 1st drive travelogue has been presented in tbhp, but not able to complete it fully) on Highways and will be first on Ghat Roads. On a high level , the route plan is

Hyderabad - Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar - Ooty - Mysore - Bangalore - Hyderabad

Car is Indica DLS with 4 Adults and baggage. Driving will be only in day time ( 5 AM to 7 PM). Plan is to spend 2 nights in Kodai, Munnar and Ooty and 2 nights in Blr ( one while going and one while coming back) .

Spent the last 3 days researching on TBHP. And I know this is the place where I can get the correct advice. Please let me know the following:

1. This will be my fist Ghat Road driving, Can I drive without any issues to above hill stations. ( My wife is a bit concerned on this) Some of my friends who had been to Munnar and Ooty updated that the Ghat roads will be very difficult to handle for a first time driver and it is better to hire a driver. Are the ghats that steep ?

2. Can Indica with 4 ( or may be 5) ppl with baggage handle the Ghats without any issues? From other threads in the forum, I know that some guys had even made it in Alto, but me being a first time driver don't know how Diesels perform on Ghats.

3. Can I book accomodation online in sites like Yatra.com, makemytrip.com ,etc..I mean is it safer to book online or is it better to book in the hotel sites directly, but not many hotels offer online booking. My budget for stay is around 1000-1300 per day.


I am relying on Team BHP's advice. Does the above plan makes sense? Eagerly waiting for your inputs
sriswe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 17:10   #134
BHPian
 
frequentflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 222
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

If one changes the gears at the right time and not lose momentum on the climbs one can make it. A diesel Indica is a bit sluggish though. Keep your hand brake ready and climb in second or third if you gather speed. I am heading for Munar too end September with five people and luggage in Ford Fusion petrol so have sufficient power I hope. Hotels are avilable online. You can check Keral Govt's touism site (ktdc) or Karnataka (search karnataka tourism) and Tamil Nadu tourism (not a very good site)> here you will get phone numbers of hotels and some of them have web sites too so you can browse and call them and book.
frequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 15:19   #135
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

I have travelled to these places in my Petrol Innova (few occassions 6 adults onboard + tons of luggage) and Alto as well, 2 adults and 1 kid and experienced driver and lot of luggage (minimum 60kgs) even with Ac on in few ghat sections. Car behaved very well we never felt in any place we lost power.

Only point to remember in ghat section is make sure you drive slowly and don't hesitate to engage 1st gear in few curves.

If you ask me it won't matter a lot if it is big (petrol innova) or small (alto) vehicle as per my expereince to climb ghat section. Make sure you drve with good control.

Less bad roads you can see in these areas you are visiting. But control your speed since lot of traffic is expected from next week(holiday season).

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 14th September 2009 at 15:20.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bangalore –> Wayanad –> Munnar –> Kodaikanal –> Pondicherry route Safety is Param Route / Travel Queries 18 7th November 2014 16:47
Getting drenched in Munnar (Bangalore to Munnar and Kannur) longdriveblusky Travelogues 12 20th November 2012 15:44
Bangalore Munnar Kodaikanal Valparai - 10 days of bliss VindyWheels Travelogues 54 20th September 2011 08:13
Need Info: Madurai - Kodaikanal - Munnar hyderabadi Route / Travel Queries 6 21st June 2007 10:03
Advice: How to go to Kodaikanal from Munnar and / or Tehkdi Subodh Kumar Route / Travel Queries 10 17th September 2006 22:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:25.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks