Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 11th April 2008, 13:21   #1
BHPian

Default Hyderabad to Chikmagalur : Route Queries

Guys, me and my wife are planning a weekend getaway to Bangalore and visit some nearby places. We are planning to go to Kemmangundi/Chikmagalur. Is there any alternative route to Chikmagalur from Hyderabad instead of via Bangalore? In that case we can go to Chikmagalur first and then to Bangalore. Any information about the current road conditions would be helpul. I will be travelling in my petrol Swift Zxi.
watashi75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 13:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

Come on NH7 till Penukonda (after Ananthapur). Turn off right and go via Roddam, Pavagada and Challakere to Chitradurga (155 kms). At Chitradurga, take NH13 via Hollalkere, Chennagiri to Bhadravathi (skip Shimoga, turn off left 32 km after Channagiri, 45 kms before Shimoga)(Bhadravathi is 96 kms from Chitradurga) , and go via Tarikere to Chickmagalur (81 kms from Bhadravathi). Road conditions are good. Avoid ravelling on he Penukonda-Bhadravathi route at night. Expect small road and poor facilities between Penukonda and Chitradurga.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 14:11   #3
BHPian

hvkumar, thanks for that useful information! The rest of the route from Chikmagaur to Bangalore should not be a problem as there are already lots of information in this forum itself.
Old 11th April 2008, 16:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Enjoy your stay at watashi75, In chikmagalur where n all you are planning to visit ?
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2008, 18:49   #5
BHPian

Thanks susrutha. We haven't done much planning about the sights to see. We might visit Kemmanagundi and some waterfalls. It would be more of a scenic drive since we also plan to go to Bangalore, probably via Madikeri. However any suggestions from you would be welcome!
Old 11th April 2008, 19:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

I suggest take Tarikere - Lingadahalli - kemmangundi - chikamagalur If you enter from Tarikere as hvkumar suggested, If you come bangalore - chikamagalur then take left in Kaimara village in terikere road 6km from chikamagalur which goes to kemmangundi.

Roads around kemmangundi not good but since its ghat area one cant expect good roads. Places to stay you get few hotels in chikamagalur, home stay I suggest GreenDale near kemmangundi wonderfull place, rajbhavan hotel kemmangundi and there are many resorts, homestay in and around.

You can get usefull information in this forum about chikamagalur - kemmangundi area. Just in short with little knowledge i have I suggest places you can visit:

1. mullayana giri, seetalayana giri
2. datta peeta, manikyadhara falls
3. hebbe falls, kallatgiri falls, z point trekking, shanti falls, sunset point, garden in rajbhavan kemmangundi.
4. Horanaadu, kalasa, kudremukha surrounding areas.
5. belur, halebeedu
6. Badra reservoir and back water.

More places you can find out

Have a nice time!

Regards,

Ravi.

Last edited by ravibhat : 11th April 2008 at 19:25.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2008, 17:34   #7
BHPian

Thanks to all for the helpful information!

We had a nice trip to Chikmaglur and one of best scenic drive through Kemmanagundi. We returned via Hasan and Bangalore. I will be posting our travelogue soon with some pictures.

We had an accident around 110 kms from Hyderabad while returning. Luckily there were no casualties. Radiator was damaged and car engine was getting shut off. Somehow we towed the car 30 km to Jedcherla with a sumo and got the radiator patched. Finally we managed to reach Hyderabad at 2:30 am. Gave car to MASS today and hoping for the best.
Old 28th June 2008, 22:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thats nice to hear, Where you stayed ?

GreenDale Holiday Home website is up: :: Green Dale Home Stay :: come touch the Sky

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 12:49   #9
Senior - BHPian

Default Hyderabad to Chikmagalur

Hi Folks,

What would be the reccomended route from Hyderabad to Chikmagalur and driving time?Is there anybody who has done this route any time in the past?

Thanx
ranjitp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 13:14   #10
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Hyderabad to Chikmagalur : Route Queries

There are two options I can think off:

One via Lepakshi/Hindupur/Korategere/Tumkur

Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh to Chikmagalur, Karnataka - Google Maps

I had driven through Tumkur-Korategiri-Gauribidanur section some time back. It was decent with little traffic. This should get you to Tumkur by bypassing Bangaore. I know your timings. You generally reach Bangalore by 11-12. Which tells me that you should be able to hit Bagepally by about 9:30.

The other option via Dobbaspet (NH207 via Devanhalli).

Comfortwise NH 207 is much better I would say.

I am not sure how good it would be to go via Bellary/Bhadra to CKM with roads being so bad on that sector.

EDIT: I am sure you would already be aware of these routes !
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 13:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

The best route would be:
Hyderabad-Raichur-Hospet-Harihar-Shimoga-Tarikere-Chickmagalur, possible to do it in 1 long day.
If you want a more scenic route, then Hospet-Hubli-Yellapura-Sirsi-Jog-Sagar-Shimoga-Chickmagalur.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011, 12:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
There are two options I can think off:

One via Lepakshi/Hindupur/Korategere/Tumkur

I had driven through Tumkur-Korategiri-Gauribidanur section some time back. It was decent with little traffic. This should get you to Tumkur by bypassing Bangaore. I know your timings. You generally reach Bangalore by 11-12. Which tells me that you should be able to hit Bagepally by about 9:30.

The other option via Dobbaspet (NH207 via Devanhalli).

Comfortwise NH 207 is much better I would say.

I am not sure how good it would be to go via Bellary/Bhadra to CKM with roads being so bad on that sector.

EDIT: I am sure you would already be aware of these routes !
Thanx Ampere for the route,these routes are kind of round about from Hyd as I would need to drive down and then up again plus I didnt want to drive on NH7 as i am bored of it already and plus I need to drive it in april again enroute to kerala.I think I will explore the route via Hospet in a little more detail.
Old 14th March 2011, 13:16   #13
Team-BHP Support

Ranjit,

Bored yes, but roundabout, not much I would say. Before posting, I analysed the difference (the same route, which HVK suggested). Its shows a difference of 70-80km). That is not big price to pay, for super smooth roads.
Old 14th March 2011, 13:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Yes true Ampere,I am actually thinking of it now that you mentioned,I need to be there this weekend,anniversary plans
Old 14th March 2011, 13:25   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Yes true Ampere,I am actually thinking of it now that you mentioned,I need to be there this weekend,anniversary plans
Initially I was thinking that going via Lepakshi/Hindupur is big help to by-pass Bangalore from NH7 to NH4. But looking at NH207, I realized its not helping much. Since the Bagepally-Lepakshi-Hindupur road is not that good.

The NH207 by-pass via Devanahalli to Dobbaspet is much better.

Plus another thing is if you go via Kadur towards CKM (Kadur road branching off from NH206), you land at Taj directly without getting into CKM town (I was hoping you would go to Taj! )