Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2008, 03:03   #1
BHPian
 
Venom_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 223
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Driving from Chennai to Talecherry... Need guidance

We are planning for an trip to Talecherry this weekend (25th - 29th) & the excuse... Friends Marriage cheers:

I am getting a little confused over the route that I need to take, would be great if you guys can help me in selecting a route.

Route 1:
CHENNAI - BANGALORE - MYSORE -GUNDULPET-SULTAN BATTERY - Talecherry (~700Kms)

I am comfortable with this route as I've been till Vythri resorts in Wayanad a couple of times before, I am not sure of the stretch between Sultan Battery and Talecherry and the route I need to take.

Route 2:
CHENNAI - Krishnagiri - Coimby -Palaghat-Calicut-Kollam-Thalecherry (~720Kms)

I have never travelled on these roads before, so any advice here would be really really helpful.

We are also planning for a days' stay in Wayanad, any recommendations(Hotels/Resort) that you may have?

Cheers!
Goutham
Venom_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 04:07   #2
BHPian
 
redfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago, The Windy City
Posts: 444
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_rider View Post
Route 2:
CHENNAI - Krishnagiri - Coimby -Palaghat-Calicut-Kollam-Thalecherry (~720Kms)
?? Kollam is second southmost Dist (Quilon in English) which is adjascent to Trivandrum, while Calicut and Talachery are northen Kerala. Is there any place called Kollam near Calicut?

My advice would be to stay away from Kerala traffic as possible so it appears the choice 1 is better.
redfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 09:52   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
hvkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 7,369
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_rider View Post
We are planning for an trip to Talecherry this weekend (25th - 29th) & the excuse... Friends Marriage cheers:

I am getting a little confused over the route that I need to take, would be great if you guys can help me in selecting a route.

Route 1:
CHENNAI - BANGALORE - MYSORE -GUNDULPET-SULTAN BATTERY - Talecherry (~700Kms)

I am comfortable with this route as I've been till Vythri resorts in Wayanad a couple of times before, I am not sure of the stretch between Sultan Battery and Talecherry and the route I need to take.

Goutham
From Kalpetta, proceed to Mananthavady (35 kms) and descend the ghats through Kolayad to Kuthuparamba (68 kms). Att Kuthuparamba, instead of going towards Kannur, turn towards Wadakara/Talaserry which is less than 20 kms.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:23   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
Is there any place called Kollam near Calicut?
Yes, there is. Meanwhile, Venom please follow hv's advice which is (as usual) spot-on!

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd April 2008 at 10:25.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:10   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,350
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Route 1 is the best bet. You have good roads all the way till Kalpetta except near Gundulpet. Just watch out for Bangalore entry/exit times.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:41   #6
BHPian
 
Venom_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 223
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

@Redfire, @Steeroid - Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
From Kalpetta, proceed to Mananthavady (35 kms) and descend the ghats through Kolayad to Kuthuparamba (68 kms). Att Kuthuparamba, instead of going towards Kannur, turn towards Wadakara/Talaserry which is less than 20 kms.
Wonderful... Thank you so much for the information. This exactly what I was looking for & Wadakara is the place that we are going to

Also, would you know the current condition of the roads between Nanjangud till the entry at Kerala border? The last time we went there, i think 2 years back, there were a lot of really bad stretches of road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Route 1 is the best bet. You have good roads all the way till Kalpetta except near Gundulpet. Just watch out for Bangalore entry/exit times.
We are planning to leave during the wee hours from Chennai... Hoping to reach bangalore by 11ish on Friday morning. While returning it would be around midnight, guess we are safe from B'lore traffic.

We are staying in Kerala from Friday evening - Monday morning, do you suggest that we stick around Mahe or look for some place around Wayanad to stay???

Cheers!
Goutham
Venom_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008, 11:28   #7
BHPian
 
ad75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 265
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_rider View Post
Also, would you know the current condition of the roads between Nanjangud till the entry at Kerala border? The last time we went there, i think 2 years back, there were a lot of really bad stretches of road.

We are staying in Kerala from Friday evening - Monday morning, do you suggest that we stick around Mahe or look for some place around Wayanad to stay???
the roads inside the WLS were being done up last month.it might be complete by now.

would suggest a stay in wynad.you can always drive down to mahe from vadakara.fuel(for man & machine) is cheap there.
ad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008, 12:21   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 343
Thanked: 155 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Yes, there is. Meanwhile, Venom please follow hv's advice which is (as usual) spot-on!
hhhmmm....a place called Kollam near Calicut? Where would that be?
sanjaykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008, 13:15   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
kuttapan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Just near Koyilandy..about 26kms north of Calicut.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2008, 19:56   #10
BHPian
 
Venom_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 223
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
the roads inside the WLS were being done up last month.it might be complete by now.

would suggest a stay in wynad.you can always drive down to mahe from vadakara.fuel(for man & machine) is cheap there.
Thanks ad75... I am going tank-"US"-up in Mahe!!! cheers:

Just booked the accommodation at The Woodlands Hotel in Wayanad today.

Oh boy, now I can't wait to hit the highway on Friday morning.

: I just realized in the morning that my insurance had expired on the 30th of March itself and I've been driving the car just like that!!!!

I got it renewed through C.A.R.S in Ambattur today and got them to fax the papers in the interim. Also got the car check-up done (coolant, lubrication, brakes etc.,). My low-beams were also not functioning for the last 2 days, it turned out to be due to a loose connection.

Guess what... they did all this and washed the car FREE OF COST (not the insurance, ofcourse)!!! Pretty impressed by their gesture I would say.

Cheers!
Goutham
Venom_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 03:38   #11
BHPian
 
Venom_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chennai
Posts: 223
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Just came back from an amazing 4 days trip (~2000 Kms) to what they rightly call as "God's own country".

Took the route suggested by hvkumar while going, though the stretch between Manthavady & Kuthuparamba was not too good the scenery around more than made up for it... it was challenging ghat roads admist thick forest!!! Loved driving through those roads.

On the way back we came took the Chockly-Nadapuram-Taruvana-Sultan Battery route, these are much better roads but a little less scenic.

Will pen down the travelogue soon... herez a pic of my ride and the ghat section between Taruvana & Sultan Battery and the ghat section between Manthavady & Kuthuparamba.
Attached Images
  
Venom_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vacation Trip Chennai - Andhiyur(Near Bhavani) - Kundha, Ooty - Guidance Please indiamukund Route / Travel Queries 0 25th August 2008 23:02
Need Guidance to buy an offroader pradeep_mk SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 13 25th July 2006 22:32
Need Guidance with choice of SUV/MUV arindam SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 4 24th July 2006 14:48
Buying Palio - Need specific guidance on key questions from users/experts sachinchavan Hatchbacks 25 19th May 2006 17:41
Do you own a Toyota Corolla? Need your guidance on a buying decision! sendarvimail Sedans 6 4th January 2006 11:32


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks