Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 22nd April 2008, 11:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Hubli-kundapur-mangalore Road Conditions?

Hai,

I have to reach Calicut with family on 6th June from Ahmedabad; no train tickets, flights going full fare and I need an excuse to drive, this looks like a God sent opportunity to just drive....

Have some quiries :

1. I d reach Belgaum from Ahmedabad and plan to push it to Dharward, if possible on 4th June. Is it possible to push it to Dharward?

2. 5th morning, Dharward -Hubli - to Turtle Bay Resort, 12 Kms off Kundapur and just relax for the evening. I guess from Hubli to Akola thro Yallapur would take me about 3 hours and then about another 2-3 hours to Kundapur; not sure about timings as I do not know road conditions now. How are the roads and how much time should I plan for?

3. 6th morning, I'd be off towards Calicut; guess I'd be able to make it to Calicut by 7/8 PM?

Any updates on NH 17 and route from Hubli -yellapur - Akola? Am I likely to run into lots of rain in the 1st week of June?

Id also be grateful for feedbacks on Turtle Bay Resort.

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

--Ramky

==========
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 11:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

The Hubli-Ankola road is full of trucks. Everybody takes the Sirsi road to goto Mlore these days.

We travelled to Mlore a month ago.

The NH17 is not as bad as before.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:08   #3
Team-BHP Support

Regarding NH17, it all depends on when the monsoons start. Based on the repairs carried out lat year, the Ankola-Udupi stretch won't survive more than a week of continuous rain. It will be in tatters after two weeks of rain. Around here we take pride in our crappy NH roads, I even bought a GV to celebrate it.

Therefore, if the monsoons start early unlike last year (it was 2 weeks late), you will have to deal with terrible roads. If it is on time or late, then you will be OK.

The beach resorts usually close for monsoon, the winds will be howling, the sea will be dangerous. You will be in luck if monsoon is delayed.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Tnx For That.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Regarding NH17, it all depends on when the monsoons start. Based on the repairs carried out lat year, the Ankola-Udupi stretch won't survive more than a week of continuous rain. It will be in tatters after two weeks of rain. Around here we take pride in our crappy NH roads, I even bought a GV to celebrate it.

Therefore, if the monsoons start early unlike last year (it was 2 weeks late), you will have to deal with terrible roads. If it is on time or late, then you will be OK.

The beach resorts usually close for monsoon, the winds will be howling, the sea will be dangerous. You will be in luck if monsoon is delayed.
I've been thro your posts on the GV, great going. The right car for NH17, I think after serious rains, not many cars could take the punishment of that track.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the rains, may be the rain-Gods would co-operate.

Called up Turtle Bay, made a tenttive booking, they said, its off seaon, they'd be open etc., I guess they'd say that on the phone anyway.

My thought was to take it easy after Dharward to Kerala, after pushing hard till there. If Turtle bay would probably become a wet-sponge, may be I can plan on staying at Udipi?

--Ramky
==========
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

ramkya1 Sir, I have already PMed you. Hope that helps.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Arrow I'd Explore The Other Option......

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
ramkya1 Sir, I have already PMed you. Hope that helps.

Abhi
Hai,

AK, Thanks for the PM, I'd explore the other option you suggested. My fear is, the nearer you go to Kerala in June, higher probability of catching full blast rains, it starts around 1st June usually. With the weather going wonky now, you never know how early it can start?

Driving in the rain would be also exciting, if we have time on hand....

=======
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:33   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The warm period of summer is supposed to extend this year, but it's been a little wet so far too. Contradictory, but that's the forecast vs actual scenario.

Actually reminds me of the story of the weather forecasts & red indians .. :-)

Belgaum - Dharwad : 90 km, max 2 hours, and the road is good. If you go via Yellapur, suggest avoid driving at night. That's when the ore laden trucks are all over the place on that stretch.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:34   #8
Team-BHP Support

Actually the rain along Mangalore/Udupi is not different than Kerala.

Yeah, the best Hotel in Udupi district is not in Udupi, it is in Manipal, about 5 Kms off NH17. Anyway, once you are in the vicinity, give me a call, it would be nice to meet you. PM me for any specific details.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2008, 12:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Actually the rain along Mangalore/Udupi is not different than Kerala.

Yeah, the best Hotel in Udupi district is not in Udupi, it is in Manipal, about 5 Kms off NH17. Anyway, once you are in the vicinity, give me a call, it would be nice to meet you. PM me for any specific details.

Samurai: Tnx, will do, look forward to it.

Condour: You reached back to Bangalore?

Shame we missed each other at Ahmedabad...... this should take the cake for bad planning

============
Old 22nd April 2008, 13:07   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
ramkya1 : Condour: You reached back to Bangalore?

Shame we missed each other at Ahmedabad...... this should take the cake for bad planning
Yes, sir. Back about a fortnight ago - the day after we spoke last.

What you say is true. Six months, and yet we didn't meet. We also seemed to be swimming against the tide at times.

How about taking a detour via BLR on the return trip ?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 12:13   #11

Red face Hubli Managalore Route and Road conditions

Need some quick info on the road conditions on this route. ANy help and guidance appreciate. Thanks

Note from Team-BHP Support : Thread MERGED. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. Please continue your discussion in an existing thread. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th October 2008 at 12:23. Reason: Search please
ahujapradeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 13:56   #12
BHPian

dear ahuja,

I just did a trip on this route. I am travelling in this route ever since i was a child. At those days we used to compare excellent roads of karnataka with kerala . But now karnataka is becoming another 'gods own country'. I swear that i have never ever come across such bad roads in my life. And these words are not from an ordinary person but from a person who is living in kerala , a place notorious for its 'good' roads.

It took us more than 5 hours to cover the distance between manglore and kundapura. The nh 17 is a shame on the entire nation, especially on karnataka which used to have fine roads before two decades. We hardly got an opportunity to use 4th gear. While returning from kollur we took country roads( hebri,karkala,mudabedre,kaikamba ) to bye pass the horrifying nh 17. There is road but only ruins of it remains.
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 14:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Samurai: Tnx, will do, look forward to it.

Condour: You reached back to Bangalore?

============
I feel KEDIYOOR DELUX is a very nice place to stay and relax.
A Double Delux AC room costs 850 Rs a night.
This is next to UDupi bus stand.
pramod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 14:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Everyday thosands of trucks overloaded with manganese use the road from Hubli to Mangalore and this has ruined the road completely.
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 14:24   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
I've been thro your posts on the GV, great going. The right car for NH17, I think after serious rains, not many cars could take the punishment of that track.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed about the rains, may be the rain-Gods would co-operate.

Called up Turtle Bay, made a tenttive booking, they said, its off seaon, they'd be open etc., I guess they'd say that on the phone anyway.

My thought was to take it easy after Dharward to Kerala, after pushing hard till there. If Turtle bay would probably become a wet-sponge, may be I can plan on staying at Udipi?

--Ramky
==========
Samurai,
I am replying on ur behalf.
I feel, this is not the right season to stay in Turtle bay... The food is bad.. and u wont feel good bout the look the resort too...
Better travel to Kundapur and stay in Hotel Sharon (shastri circle) or stay in Udupi -- Kediyoor delux.
pramod is offline   Reply With Quote