Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 24th April 2008, 13:48   #1
BHPian

Default Need advice on Route/Road condition from Bangalore to Kollegal

I will be travelling to Kollegal from Bangalore this weekend with my family in my Cedia and would like to know what is the best route to take from Bangalore considering the current road conditions.

While browsing the forum, I came across many routes to Kollegal:

Route 1: Bangalore, Maddur, Malavalli, Kollegal

Route 2: Bangalore, Kanakapura, Malavalli, Kollegal

Route 3: Bangalore, Mysore, T.Narsipur, Kollegal

I read a few posts and many have advised not to take the Kanakapura route due to horrible road conditions.

Can someone please guide me on the best route that has good/manageable roads? I don't mind taking Route 3 which is longer than the others if the roads from Mysore are better. Thanks.
Maibaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 15:04   #2
BHPian

Hello;

Take the route 1, the road till Maddur is beautiful & from Maddur to Malavalli you can manage not too bad. From Malavalli to kollegala newly laid road, very good.

Regards
Deepak
kdeepakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 15:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post
Hello;

Take the route 1, the road till Maddur is beautiful & from Maddur to Malavalli you can manage not too bad. From Malavalli to kollegala newly laid road, very good.

Regards
Deepak
Thanks for the information, Deepak. I traveled to Kollegal yesterday and since I did not receive any recommendations before I started, I opted for Route 1 and here is an update on the road conditions

Bangalore to Maddur - Excellent, although a lot of traffic.

Maddur to Malavalli - Average with roads broken at places - Drivable

Malavalli to Kollegal - Immediately after Malavalli, the roads are being upgraded and for around 2 kms, there is nothing but gravel. At some places you have only one side of the road tarred. Traffic in either direction tries to use the tarred portion and this was frustrating as some KSRTC bus drivers coming from the opposite direction don't give way and force you to get off the road in order for them to pass. This was not the case with the truck drivers as most of them were considerate.

After this, the roads turn better and speeds around 80-100 kms/hr can be done at a few good stretches up to Kollegal.

To sum it up, I really did not enjoy driving on this route and my advice is to avoid this route unless absolutely necessary.
Maibaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2008, 23:46   #4
BHPian

One more possible route to Kollegal being
Bangalore - Kanakapura - Halagur - Malvalli , then turn onto the road towards Bluff & Kollegal.
NRKUMAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 12:48   #5
BHPian

Any recent update on this route? Also how is SH17A from kollegal to TN?
cuttingcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 15:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingcrew View Post
Any recent update on this route? Also how is SH17A from kollegal to TN?
Recently did this trip - Chennai-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Mettur.. take right.. climb a hill (some temple is there on ur right) and get down.. travel ... cross a village called Doddinduvadi to reach Kollegal.. After Mettur roads are okay

Return I took via Sathyamangalam.. Horrible roads till u reach TN border.. some 50 kms took me nearly 2 hrs
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 16:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Recently did this trip - Chennai-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Mettur.. take right.. climb a hill (some temple is there on ur right) and get down.. travel ... cross a village called Doddinduvadi to reach Kollegal.. After Mettur roads are okay

Return I took via Sathyamangalam.. Horrible roads till u reach TN border.. some 50 kms took me nearly 2 hrs
So you went upto Andhiyur and then onto Kollegal right. Your return from Kollegal was via Chamrajnagar - Dimbam - Sathyamangalam right. So is the road from Andhiyur to Kollegal good?
pypkmsrikanth is offline   Reply With Quote