Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 30th April 2008, 22:03   #16
BHPian

one other thing that i would like to add is. take many copies of your permit(4-5 for pangong). These copies are not to be submitted to army checkposts but to other check-posts (i think civilian-police) so i you give the copies to army ones you may run out of them(happened to me) and then you would have to go back and ask from the army guys.
army isnt suppossed to keep copies just show it to them when they ask for it.
amannarwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 00:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amannarwal View Post
one other thing that i would like to add is. take many copies of your permit(4-5 for pangong). These copies are not to be submitted to army checkposts but to other check-posts (i think civilian-police) so i you give the copies to army ones you may run out of them(happened to me) and then you would have to go back and ask from the army guys.
army isnt suppossed to keep copies just show it to them when they ask for it.
My experience is every Check Post wants a copy and I counted 7 occasions when I had to give out copies from Leh to Pangong.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2008, 11:36   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
- Heard that no permit is now needed for Khardung la, but is one needed for Nubra Valley/Hunder?

- Pangong Lake requires a permit, but sometimes they con you and say that it includes Marisimik la also, which is not correct. I insisted on a separate permit and got it. Someone I know was ttold that the Pangong permit also covered Marisimik la, but he was not permittted at the CP

- Are civilians now permitted beyond Spangimik (after Lukung, Pangong)?

- Tsomoriri also requires a permit?

- Padum (Zanskar) also requires a permit - issued only at Kargil or also at Leh?

Is the JK Tourism hotel ready at Spangimik (Pangong)?

Because of the Tsomoriri permit problem, this August, I am planning a North-South Drive (Srinagar-Kargil-Leh-Keylong) drive so that I can get my Padum permit at Kargil, and also the Tsomoriri permit at Leh on way out.
I think Khardung La still requires permits, since one does have to submit it to the check post at South Pallu.

For Marsimik La you need to specifically mention it on the permit form, else you will not be allowed beyond Phobrang.

No, in fact there is now a policeman posted there to stop people. We went roughly 10-12kms ahead of Spangmik in 2005, but since the guard was posted in 2006, no one can go ahead.

Tso Moriri requires a permit; however you don’t need any permits for Padum. Though you would have to register yourself at 4-5 check posts.

There is no J&K tourism hotel at Spangmik, there is a PWD guest house which is run by a local and there are Eco Huts at Lukung.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
I am a little concerned about the ground clearence of the zen !! One question have you studied (is that a word) taken a real close look of the underbody of your car because at certain sectors there is real need for judging what part of your car can take a hit and what cannot !! There is also a water crossing just after keylong called PAGAL NALLAH which has huge white boulders in it do keep a real open eys for this one what s the cpmpany you having for the trip ?? are they all avid drivers ? they should love driving then and then only you shall be able to make most out of this journey all of you i presume are fit not superfit like jackie chan but atleast the types who can carry their weight around easily !!! Someone among st you must be good at hands down repairing {jugaad} nothin is available after keylong right till 70 kms shot of leh no mecchanic no tyre repairing no spares and all you can fuel up @ tandi and buy jerry cans @ chandni chowk {bhangar wala} cant really help you as mine was arranged by another delhi friend any jerry can good bad new will leak and be sure to have it stacked upight !!! With high altitude rarified air smelling the fumes will be last on your list !! THIS all was not to scare you but to prepare you for what you are thinkin of acheiving and just the attitude you shall carry while driving is DEFENSIVE
Pagal Nallah isn’t that bad. There are rocks in it, but nothing that can not be handled in car. Of course you will scrape your car's underbelly there, but if done right, there shouldn’t be any major damage.

Quote:
My experience is every Check Post wants a copy and I counted 7 occasions when I had to give out copies from Leh to Pangong.
That’s strange, I never gave out more than 3-4 copies during my trips to Pangong Tso.

Last edited by yogesh sarkar : 1st May 2008 at 11:37.
yogesh sarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 16:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Updated Leh+spiti Driving Directions

Hai TBHpers,

Thanks to the GTO allowing PDF attachment, I'm attaching the updated map with more details, the Spiti+Lahul circuit is added now.

There are lots of mails to my yahoo id on this map, so thought I'd share this for prospective travelers in that direciton.

Your suggestions / corrections welcome, thanks.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
==========
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ledakh-spiti-drive-direction.ramky.pdf (83.2 KB, 682 views)
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 11:10   #20
BHPian

Thanks Ramky, 3 cheers to the great effort you have taken to develop the map. Would you consider to include things such as bad road sections, permit required sections etc.. as different colored indicators on the same to make it comprehensive guide to novices like me.

Thanks a ton again

Raj
rnbohra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2008, 11:32   #21

Thanks ramkya1 the document will be really helpful in planning the trip....
Thanks all TBHPians for their help ...
I will be using the Delhi- Shimla-Manali- Leh route ... have changes the dates for travel to early July on recommendations ( thanks HV)

hey guys ... big question in my mind is whether the zen suspension hold up???
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 11:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnbohra View Post
Thanks Ramky, 3 cheers to the great effort you have taken to develop the map. Would you consider to include things such as bad road sections, permit required sections etc.. as different colored indicators on the same to make it comprehensive guide to novices like me.

Thanks a ton again

Raj
Hai Raj,

Tnx for the suggestion. I'd work this, but road conditions are dynamic. Yes, I can add on the pases & permit requirements etc., working on the mountain peaks and Gompas now.

Waiting for more suggestions, I'd like to make this as comprehensive as possible.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
===========
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 16:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

What is the best possible and most reliable way to travel from Delhi to Leh on a adventure trip if you do not have your own car/SUV? option should be value for money but should not compromise on basic quality. Guys please suggest.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 16:27   #24
Senior - BHPian

Go to Manali and take a shared seat in Sumos/Scorpios doing the Manali-Leh trip. They leave daily and depending on the month, duration (I think they will take 2 days, but in Sep, they do in 1 long day), and fares vary. No prior bookings needed. In Manali market, there is a taxi union office which coordinates the trips. For he return, you can either fly back from Leh to Delhi, return the same route or do a similar ride through Kargil and Dras to Srinagar.

HPSRTC also runs buses from Manali to Leh, but they take 2 full days with an overnight halt.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 16:48   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama View Post
Thanks all for your help ... i will keep these things in mind while planning the trip ..

any suggestions about the car setup - its a 98 model done around 96K but well maintained ,,,, i am worried about the ground clearance as the Zen is a little low ....

All the best for u trip hellstar and thanks for your replies sukdev , hv kumar & phamilyman

also any good place in delhi where i can get good petrol cans ...
I've done this stretch last year on a bike and not sure if a Zen can make it.

A friend of mine is into arranging all aspects of such rides/drives from booking accomodation, arranging back-up vehicle, mechanics et all. I'm providing his contact details in case you wish to avail his services or to get tips for your ride.

Hubert Augustine - +91-9972001968. Good luck with your ride.
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 21:17   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Yogesh,
Anyy bad experiences with permit copies at army check posts? Don't they insist on originals?
Any travel agents that you can suggest? Saves a lot of time getting in advance instead of camping out in DC's Office.
The permit s and it s problem s are just highlighted for no reason at all i managed to get them in 15 min s !

On entering the D/C s office on your left is an enquiry where you can learn wether D/C is present or not .A letter in two copy needs to be adddressed to the D/C stating your name and residential status {FIRANGS have a diferent process} One copy should remain with the clerk at the enquiry entrance and original need s to be taken personnally taken to the D/C where you knock take permission before entering once you are in it D/C shall read your request put a date and signature to your request just come back to the enquiry clerk and he shall make the permit for you which can be xeroxed from right behind the D/C s office . Your request should contain name s ages and residintial status of all fellow travellers with specific dates .
START your conversation with a smile and JHOOLAY all shall go smooth
REGARDS
SAAJAN
m-hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 14:55   #27
Senior - BHPian

zen should be able to make it. Problem areas might be Baralacha la and Tanglangla. In case you want to coem and see the route for yourself you are most welcome to drop in and see the videos of the entire stretch at my place. Since you are in NOIDA you can mange if your so inclined.
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2008, 23:12   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
zen should be able to make it. Problem areas might be Baralacha la and Tanglangla. In case you want to coem and see the route for yourself you are most welcome to drop in and see the videos of the entire stretch at my place. Since you are in NOIDA you can mange if your so inclined.
hey that will be great !!!!
awesome
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 00:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Baralacha La was butter smooth last year, heck a lot of members of my group didn't realize they had crossed Baralacha La and were unable to click photographs of it.

As for Tanglang La, there is just one water crossing there, apart from that it is pretty smooth apart from last few hundred meters on Manali side and a few kms on Leh side.

One problem could be More Plains, especially if you mange to get you car stuck in that somewhat deep sand stretch.
yogesh sarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2008, 07:30   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
I'd work this, but road conditions are dynamic.
Quote:
Problem areas might be Baralacha la and Tanglangla.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh sarkar View Post
Baralacha La was butter smooth last year, heck a lot of members of my group didn't realize they had crossed Baralacha La and were unable to click photographs of it.

As for Tanglang La, there is just one water crossing there, apart from that it is pretty smooth apart from last few hundred meters on Manali side and a few kms on Leh side.

One problem could be More Plains, especially if you mange to get you car stuck in that somewhat deep sand stretch.
Conclusion: Road conditions are indeed very dynamic; they keep changing from one season to the next and also within the same season.
This is a general rule for all roads in the off-beat/remote areas of the himalayas.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote