Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 19th June 2008, 10:18   #46
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info, tsk1979. Yes, the riders got this news while in Kinnaur Valley, but Yogesh Sarkar got a confirmation from Direcotr, Tourism (yesterday) at Leh that the road was open! We will know the actual facts later today as Dwarak & Co reach Manali by noon.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 22:10   #47
Senior - BHPian

The Gulaba landslide (Manali-Rohtang Pass route) is cleared and open to light traffic going to Keylong/Leh. This is an update as of Thursday afternoon.
Old 21st June 2008, 09:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

On Friday morning, my friend Dwarak drove across Rohtang in his Bullet. He reported huge traffic jams all the way from Manali through Gulaba and Marhi - took him almost 6 hours, most of it sitting out in traffic jams. Road traffic is partially restored at Gilaba afer the landslide has been cleared.

The riders reached Gramphoo, tried to go to Spiti Valley, but had to turn back as they could not cross a fast-flowing rivulet near Chhota Dara. After being rebuffed at Nako (NH21, Kinnaur Valley routte), where a large landslide has closed down the Shimla-Sumdo-Kaza road, Dwarak & Co have finally abandoned their plans to go to Spiti Valley and are now heading straight for Leh.

Wach this space for more news tonight.
Old 21st June 2008, 10:57   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
After being rebuffed at Nako (NH21, Kinnaur Valley routte), where a large landslide has closed down the Shimla-Sumdo-Kaza road,
Closed off from all sides!! That's Spiti.
You mean NH22 there; the one passing through Kinnaur district.

So now headed for Leh? Hope they are carrying cameras and will bring back some memorable photos of the landslides, streams and traffic jams!
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 11:34   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Closed off from all sides!! That's Spiti.
You mean NH22 there; the one passing through Kinnaur district.

So now headed for Leh? Hope they are carrying cameras and will bring back some memorable photos of the landslides, streams and traffic jams!
You are right, Anup - it is NH 22. Sorry for the typo.

In the meantime, NH22 was closed at Naptha also for some time thanks to landslides, and is thankfully restored now.

As Anup mentioned, NH22 is a very mercuric road, prone to landlsides with the onset of the monsoons and one is cautioned to take an update on road status before one sets off.

My favourite reading is www.TheTribuneIndia.com which is the Tribune paper's online site which has good info on HP, J&K and Punjab.
Old 23rd July 2008, 16:40   #51
BHPian

Default Help needed

Hi all,

Bumping this thread to post a query on behalf of my friend.

My friend, his wife, his sister and her husband plan to undertake Delhi-Manali-Leh trip by road in their Zen. It would be their first trip through the hilly terrain.

My questions :

1) Would Zen withstand the rigours of such a demanding trip?

2) Is it advisable for first timers to undertake the trip and drive upto Leh all by themselves with family? (FYI, car will be driven by two men only)

3) If yes for 1 and 2, what precautions should be taken esp w.r.t to the car? (for eg : carrying spare tyre tube/fuel/etc)

Thanks in advance
CaAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 22:37   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaAT View Post
Hi all,

Bumping this thread to post a query on behalf of my friend.

My friend, his wife, his sister and her husband plan to undertake Delhi-Manali-Leh trip by road in their Zen. It would be their first trip through the hilly terrain.

My questions :

1) Would Zen withstand the rigours of such a demanding trip?

2) Is it advisable for first timers to undertake the trip and drive upto Leh all by themselves with family? (FYI, car will be driven by two men only)

3) If yes for 1 and 2, what precautions should be taken esp w.r.t to the car? (for eg : carrying spare tyre tube/fuel/etc)

Thanks in advance
Yes a Zen can withstand this type of trip, but so can just about any vehicle if you are lucky. But this is a tough road, and a Zen is not the ideal vehicle. Especially if you have 4 adults with a full set of luggage, extra fuel, tools, etc. My guess is that you may end up at the load capacity or perhaps over the capacity of the Zen. This is not a good idea. I would suggest a maximum of 2 adults for a Zen.

No problem for first timers, buy take precautions at high altitude, and make sure that everyone is in good health. Diamox is used for high altitude sickness and you may want to take this as a preventative measure.

Small Oxygen cylinders are available, and I would recommend a couple of these. Also keep a first aid kit, and extra food supplies, and water bottles.

Minimum 1 spare tire should be carried, you tires should be new. Get a set of tires that are tall. This will give max ground clearance.

A spare fuel can is a good idea.

Make very sure that your car has been serviced prior to this trip and ensure that it is in perfect running condition.

Good luck.
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 23:03   #53
Senior - BHPian

I would NOT do it in a Zen. The "road" is in bad shape. The monsoon makes it worse and unpredictable. The big Army trucks and heavy truck traffic tear up the road. The problem is ground clearance. The penalty for rupturing an oil sump or breaking something vital underneath can mean that your car will be stranded for days in the middle of no place. There are no mechanical shops up there. There is also a long, long stretch where there is not even a fuel stop. Yes, you will probably make it. That is not what I am talking about. What I am saying is I think you have about a one in 10 or 1 in 20 chance of really damaging your Zen. Is that acceptable? Maybe renting a jeep with high GC is a better option.
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2008, 23:27   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I would NOT do it in a Zen. The "road" is in bad shape. The monsoon makes it worse and unpredictable. The big Army trucks and heavy truck traffic tear up the road. The problem is ground clearance. The penalty for rupturing an oil sump or breaking something vital underneath can mean that your car will be stranded for days in the middle of no place. There are no mechanical shops up there. There is also a long, long stretch where there is not even a fuel stop. Yes, you will probably make it. That is not what I am talking about. What I am saying is I think you have about a one in 10 or 1 in 20 chance of really damaging your Zen. Is that acceptable? Maybe renting a jeep with high GC is a better option.
with DirtyDan.. @ CaATif you want to get to Leh this is a plan that you can consider for your friend:

1. Take a flight from Delhi to Srinagar.
2. Stay in house boat in Srinagar.
3. Rent a Sumo to take you leh via Kargil.
4. You would pass via sonamarg and pehalgam.
4. Once in Leh, you can hire a taxi from the taxi stand to venture in and around Leh.
5. Some place that you must see is She, Tsomori-ri, Nubra, Shanti Stupa..and many many more.(let me know if you want info on some more places)

p.s we have a guest house in Leh..let me know if your frnd would need any help once he is in Leh.
RuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 00:48   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Hold on.

M800s do it just fine yaar.

I would agree with Red. I would ask not to be so paranoid. solo bikers do it with just a change of chaddis

What I would recommend would be spacers because ground clearance can be an issue for cars. on bikes you just bounce over all the parts. Its just a road, a pretty long/bad one but not impossible. Carring Lahaul Spiti n Kinnaur - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring.com is your mentors

Real issue are the various nullahs. Cross at noon and you have whimpering water. Cross post noon and they are raging torrents. Discipline is more important than a SUV. The Dirty Dozen "SURVIVED" Ladakh - Page 2 - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring.com is your link. see pangong panauti for an idea.

Last edited by phamilyman : 24th July 2008 at 00:56.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 04:01   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Hold on.

M800s do it just fine yaar.

I would agree with Red. I would ask not to be so paranoid. solo bikers do it with just a change of chaddis

What I would recommend would be spacers because ground clearance can be an issue for cars. on bikes you just bounce over all the parts. Its just a road, a pretty long/bad one but not impossible. Carring Lahaul Spiti n Kinnaur - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring.com is your mentors

Real issue are the various nullahs. Cross at noon and you have whimpering water. Cross post noon and they are raging torrents. Discipline is more important than a SUV. The Dirty Dozen "SURVIVED" Ladakh - Page 2 - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring.com is your link. see pangong panauti for an idea.
Nullahs? You can not help but cross some in the afternoon and they do not keep time table. You have not seen it when the monsoon gets over the first couple of ranges and hits this road with a vengance any time of day or night. Then it is an entirely different story, washouts, landslides and cold, sometimes snow even in July. Day or night. As I said, you will probably make it. But it is not a question of "probably". You guys just do not seem to understand, if you break down or get hung up by a washout you or your vehicle can be stranded on this road for a week or more. This is WILD country where there is no help for 100 kilometers in either direction in some places. There is risk. So why take the risk, what is the purpose? This is not a place to fool around, this is a serious place with danger inherent. I have been across this road many times. I have seen it so bad that passenger cars are unable to get to Keylong, let alone Leh. Again, will you probably make it? Yes. Is it worth the risk? NO!
DirtyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2008, 04:14   #57
BHPian

Smile

i would recommend the Delhi-Srinagar-Kargil-Leh route than the Manali Road any day..
RuffRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 09:19   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffRyder View Post
1. Take a flight from Delhi to Srinagar.
2. Stay in house boat in Srinagar.
3. Rent a Sumo to take you leh via Kargil.
4. You would pass via sonamarg and pehalgam.
4. Once in Leh, you can hire a taxi from the taxi stand to venture in and around Leh.
A small correction there, RuffRyder. The Srinagar to Kargil road goes via Sonamarg but not Pahalgam.
The Srinagar route is not at all advisable these days. Too much insurgency. This will almost certainly last till well past the elections.

Matter of opinion, but for most people the thrill is in DRIVING to Leh. This is one place for which the old adage is particularly true : Getting there is half the fun.

While taxis are freely available at Leh, they are ridiculously expensive compared to what it would cost you in your own car! e.g. Leh-Pangong Tso day trip - Rs. 6000/-!! And we're talking about a distance of about 160 kms each way.

The Manali-Leh road is amongst the Classic road trips of the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
This is WILD country where there is no help for 100 kilometers in either direction in some places. There is risk. So why take the risk, what is the purpose? This is not a place to fool around, this is a serious place with danger inherent. I have been across this road many times. I have seen it so bad that passenger cars are unable to get to Keylong, let alone Leh. Again, will you probably make it? Yes. Is it worth the risk? NO!
With all due respect, DD, I do believe you are overstating the case.
It is a POTENTIALLY dangerous route, but it is not such a desolate one (during season) that if stranded you are sunk.
There are many vehicles doing it on a daily basis and it will not be more than an hour before someone will pass by. People help in such areas. OK, you might need to organize a truck or a tow, but it has all been done before.
Need I say anything about our Army? They are ALWAYS willing to help!

I would recommend reading a few of the Ladakh travelogues at BCMTouring.com. Far too many small hatchbacks do this route each year for there to be a strong case to dissuade people wanting to do it.
Much worse than the small hatchbacks are the sedans with more front and rear overhangs - they take more of a beating.

Anyone who has mountain driving experience and is a sane and rational driver can do this trip. To repeat what you said - there are dangers, and if not handled correctly, these could cause a lot of grief.
That having been said, the thrill and adventure quotient is exceptionally high! The old motto: BE PREPARED.

It is certainly advisable to fit higher profile tyres, (and perhaps even spacers), to increase ground clearance.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 11:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hi CaaT

Yes,people has done this in M800,but they might have no other choices.(so take it just for distraction and fake hope,nothing else)

Otherwise everybody know what it means taking a very low GC car with 4 Adults + luggage to difficult of LEH and that too in monsoons when you might not even find road at more than one places.

Will never suggest taking a Zen there with 4 adults + Luggage.

Take it if you no other choice.

Bro,the whole point is enjoying the trip not asking for troubles and hardships.

and you will have females with you so think about it.

It would have a bit different if you were 4 college guys looking for fun.

Just my 2 cents.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 12:22   #60
Senior - BHPian

[quote=simply_sunny001;915487]
Yes,people has done this in M800,but they might have no other choices.(so take it just for distraction and fake hope,nothing else)

and you will have females with you so think about it.

quote]

When I went ot Leh in 2003, I was in my Matiz with a team of 3 - 1 male (me) and 2 females (neither of them being my wife, mother or sisters). No trouble at all - except that 1 male and 1 female had some minor altitude sickness, and both the females also got out and pushed. The Leh drive is by means a picnic to Simla and only those who are really hardy and interesed in a rough journey should go for it. e.g. I have disqualified my wife from the trip, since she has no temparement for such trips!