Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 25th July 2008, 12:27   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
When I went ot Leh in 2003, I was in my Matiz with a team of 3 - 1 male (me) and 2 females (neither of them being my wife, mother or sisters). No trouble at all - except that 1 male and 1 female had some minor altitude sickness, and both the females also got out and pushed. The Leh drive is by means a picnic to Simla and only those who are really hardy and interesed in a rough journey should go for it. e.g. I have disqualified my wife from the trip, since she has no temparement for such trips!
sir,i'm hoping that you dint go in Mid August.

And CaaT has already mentioned that they are first timers and we cant compare them with you at least.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 12:34   #62
Senior - BHPian

No, I went in early-Sep and early-Oct. September is the best time to go, but August is not a bad time too. There is no monsoon problem once you cross Manali or unless you plan to drive through Kinnaur Valley (Simla-Rampur area). Monsoons do not affect the Manali-Leh-Srinagar route.

2003 was my first trip. 2004 was my second. Aug 2008 will be my third.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 15:22   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Sir,

sab kahne ki baatein hain.

It is by far one of the loveliest (NOT hardest) road trips I've done across the breadth of India.

M800 is perfect because its ultra light weight and spacers do the job.

The safari on the other hand is so heavy that in pinch situations will need 4WD. While a lighter sumo might fly through. So its not *just* GC.

And its doable with families as well, provided they are healthy to start with.

August au contraire is the BEST time. Monsoons dont happen beyond rohtang, and have little impact before it as well (compared to landslides in UK).
By august, entire road is best laid, snow has melted.

Fun would be in may when the road's barely there and there's snow all around. Else there's just snow miles away, not all enveloping
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2008, 16:18   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Nullahs? You can not help but cross some in the afternoon and they do not keep time table. You have not seen it when the monsoon gets over the first couple of ranges and hits this road with a vengance any time of day or night. Then it is an entirely different story, washouts, landslides and cold, sometimes snow even in July. Day or night. As I said, you will probably make it. But it is not a question of "probably". You guys just do not seem to understand, if you break down or get hung up by a washout you or your vehicle can be stranded on this road for a week or more. This is WILD country where there is no help for 100 kilometers in either direction in some places. There is risk. So why take the risk, what is the purpose? This is not a place to fool around, this is a serious place with danger inherent. I have been across this road many times. I have seen it so bad that passenger cars are unable to get to Keylong, let alone Leh. Again, will you probably make it? Yes. Is it worth the risk? NO!
Dan,
You are absolutely correct, the Manali to Leh is a gamble always. I probably understated my previous recommendation about taking a Zen through this route, in an effort not to offend Maruti owners. Put it this way: There is no way I would EVER try this route in a Zen or M800. My life is just not worth the risk.

Remember the Morey Plains? There can be 3 foot of sand on the road. A little Zen would be up the creek in that terrain. I have done the Morey plains at 2 a.m. and got my Jeep stuck in sand. Thank God I had a winch and another vehicle to use as an anchor!

Ah well, I guess doing it in a Zen would be a REAL adventure. Only thing more adventurous would be doing it in an Ambassador!
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 21:20   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Log Book of my 2003 Ladakh Trip - this one direct via Manali to Leh, overnight stay at Sarchu, and visits to Khardung la and Pangong Lake. Return via Kargil, Srinagar.
H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS Ladakh, Sep 2003

Log Book of my 2004 Ladakh Trip - this one also including Kinnaur Valley (stay at Recong Peo), Spiti Valley (stay at Kaza), Lahaul Valley (stay at Jispa), Pangong Lake and return via Srinagar.
H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS Ladakh,Oct 2004

A Motorogue of my 2003 trip:
Motoring to Ladakh

Please search the forum, lots of mails on the subject.
PM if you want more details.
I went thru both your links on picasa and was very impressed to see that you dared to do such long trips on a Matiz.

The car sure has some power in it to do such a long trip. I have a Spark and am planning to do the same stretch , can you tell me the appropriate time to do Ladakh from Delhi?

Also what is the cost involved and any modification in the car?
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 00:11   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
I went thru both your links on picasa and was very impressed to see that you dared to do such long trips on a Matiz.

The car sure has some power in it to do such a long trip. I have a Spark and am planning to do the same stretch , can you tell me the appropriate time to do Ladakh from Delhi?

Also what is the cost involved and any modification in the car?

Harish, definitely,the Spark can do it too. Our member joie-de-vivre (Dr Bharat) has just returned from Leh in his spark and had a great time. The roads were terrible as you can expect this early in the season but his Spark did a commendable job. Why don't you PM him for some stories about his experiences? Else please send me a PM and I will be happy to send you his contact particulars.

No modifications, but my Matiz took some wear. The Spark has come out without any injury despite lots of abrasions in the underbody.

I still prefer Sep - less crowds in Leh, good roads and chances of some early snowfall.
Old 10th June 2009, 13:31   #67

thanks kumarsir.
Harish i 've just finished my leh trip in spark. Done Mnali-leh ( in first week of opening) and srinagar-leh too.
Power / torque - no problem anywhere - even on chang-la.
GC - be carefull. Spend some time for planning for crossing some nullah. Remove debris / boulders from road. Doable.
Since i'm new here - don't know how to upload pics, but i've loaded on other forum.
joie-de-vivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 20:11   #68
abk
BHPian

Default Delhi - Leh in mid/late August 09 on an OHC?

Dear Gurus,

I have read this question answered innumerable times on this forum - but here's it raising its familiar head all over again:
  1. I plan to do Delhi - Leh trip mid/late August this year. At the moment I have my own OHC II Exi. Hopes for finding a Safari/Scorpio are bleak. During those times of the year is it advisable to do the trip on an OHC II without any modifications to suspensions? Please bear in mind my car has already done about 95k kms
  2. If I need to increase the car's GC which place in Gurgaon/Delhi should I go to get the modifications done?
  3. As a fall back or supplementary option, my friend's Indica Vista Saffire can be roped in. How about Vista doing the same stretch?
  4. Will be taking a week off which will effectively give us 9 days for the trip. We do not intend to venture much elsewhere (due to time constraints). My question is slightly otherway around though - what are the must see places that we may miss out?
  5. Any TBHPian planning to do Leh during the middle or towards the end of Aug?
Many thanks in advance!
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 20:15   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
  1. Any TBHPian planning to do Leh during the middle or towards the end of Aug?
TSK (Tanveer ) from Delhi is doing it in the middle of August in his Safari. I'm planning for mid September
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 22:16   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*]If I need to increase the car's GC which place in Gurgaon/Delhi should I go to get the modifications done?
Don't worry, no need to increase GC, the standard GC will do.
Old 10th July 2009, 13:29   #71
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Don't worry, no need to increase GC, the standard GC will do.
Thanks dear hvkumar!

However, it seems likely that we will do the Leh trip on Vista Saffire and Santro/Alto. My OHC will probably gather dust in Gurgaon & will be missed
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 10:18   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Gurus,

I have read this question answered innumerable times on this forum - but here's it raising its familiar head all over again:
  1. I plan to do Delhi - Leh trip mid/late August this year. At the moment I have my own OHC II Exi. Hopes for finding a Safari/Scorpio are bleak. During those times of the year is it advisable to do the trip on an OHC II without any modifications to suspensions? Please bear in mind my car has already done about 95k kms
  2. If I need to increase the car's GC which place in Gurgaon/Delhi should I go to get the modifications done?
  3. As a fall back or supplementary option, my friend's Indica Vista Saffire can be roped in. How about Vista doing the same stretch?
  4. Will be taking a week off which will effectively give us 9 days for the trip. We do not intend to venture much elsewhere (due to time constraints). My question is slightly otherway around though - what are the must see places that we may miss out?
  5. Any TBHPian planning to do Leh during the middle or towards the end of Aug?
Many thanks in advance!
Hi ABK,

I'll be doing Delhi - Leh- Delhi for the 1st time after mid august with my wife in a spark or an Alto ( I don't have any other choice except an 800 too).

My Plan is exactly the same as urs i.e. 1 week off ( read 9 days ). Please PM me if you wanna do this together as more the cars more safe it is.
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 10:30   #73
Team-BHP Support

Harish, take the alto instead of spark. Maruti has good amount of presence in remote areas, so if any assistance is needed you will get it easily.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 11:07   #74
Senior - BHPian

Spark has more power than Alto, but has poor service support unlike Alto.

Quote:
( I don't have any other choice except an 800 too).
More fun in a small car than a SUV. Don't worry, your car can do it!
Old 27th July 2009, 13:19   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Hi ABK,

I'll be doing Delhi - Leh- Delhi for the 1st time after mid august with my wife in a spark or an Alto ( I don't have any other choice except an 800 too).

My Plan is exactly the same as urs i.e. 1 week off ( read 9 days ). Please PM me if you wanna do this together as more the cars more safe it is.
Harish, what are your exact dates? A friend is planning this trip in an Aveo UVA beween 9-17 August!
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote