Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 24th August 2009, 13:44   #91
Senior - BHPian

wooh ,that Pagal Nalah does not look that silent.

Will eagerly wait for the log
rkbharat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 13:50   #92
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abk View Post
Pagal Nullah was really bad. The Innova got stuck while going and coming back though the water level wasn't too high. Here's a pic

It's driver mistake what I see from the picture, it looks like normal stream crossing.
Sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 16:11   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just been back from being Leh'd

Quick updates:
  • Marhi - Rohtang La road was a disaster
  • Staying overnight at Sarchu was medically unsound decision
  • Several problems with one of the cars (Innova) including getting stuck at Pagal Nullah (enroute to Pangong Tso - both ongoing and on return) and cops
  • Crossing Zoji La at midnight was outright scary!
Bottom line: A wonderful trip. A gamut of experiences of a lifetime
Hey ABK , Congrats on being LEH'ed. You're lucky you did it on time , i'm still waiting for my leaves to get approved :(.

Eagerly looking forward for your travelogue , hope you've recovered by now.
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 09:57   #94
BHPian

Congrats on completing the Leh trip. I am eagerly waiting for the travelogue with complete details as I am planning a trip to Leh around mid-Sept.
AarEmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 10:32   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AarEmm View Post
Congrats on completing the Leh trip. I am eagerly waiting for the travelogue with complete details as I am planning a trip to Leh around mid-Sept.
When are you going as we are leaving on 13th from Delhi
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 09:52   #96
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AarEmm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnayak View Post
Hey ABK , Congrats on being LEH'ed. You're lucky you did it on time , i'm still waiting for my leaves to get approved :(.

Eagerly looking forward for your travelogue , hope you've recovered by now.
Thanks AarEmm & harishnayak! I hope to start a new thread on the travelogue tomorrow night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha View Post
It's driver mistake what I see from the picture, it looks like normal stream crossing.
You are quite right Sha that the mistake was entirely mine. Haven't had much hand crossing such streams. In fact after getting stuck it occurred to me that Innova is a rear wheel drive vehicle However, i would not quite like to think that it was a "normal" stream crossing, at least for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
wooh ,that Pagal Nalah does not look that silent.

Will eagerly wait for the log
Silent? Far from it!
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 08:16   #97
BHPian

Default Pagal Nalla

Just returned yesterday from Ladakh, pagal nalla is a problem,it is crossable upto noon, we reached at 3.00pm it was a torrent then and I did not dare to risk my Scorpio.We parked the vehicle and crossed on foot.
devoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 09:37   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devoo View Post
Just returned yesterday from Ladakh, pagal nalla is a problem,it is crossable upto noon, we reached at 3.00pm it was a torrent then and I did not dare to risk my Scorpio.We parked the vehicle and crossed on foot.
But then how did you go to Pangong Tso Lake
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 11:22   #99
Senior - BHPian

Arrow

Quote:
Just been back from being Leh'd

Staying overnight at Sarchu was medically unsound decision
............A gamut of experiences of a lifetime
How so? AMS? Can you describe? Thanks.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 12:42   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Of course AMS, Ramky!
Any or all of the following happen: Severe headache, nausea, loss of appetite, disturbed or no sleep, queasy feeling in the stomach and possibly disturbed bowel movements!
....as described by various travellers in their logs/blogs.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 02:37   #101
abk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Of course AMS, Ramky!
Any or all of the following happen: Severe headache, nausea, loss of appetite, disturbed or no sleep, queasy feeling in the stomach and possibly disturbed bowel movements!
....as described by various travellers in their logs/blogs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Dear ramkya1 as outlined by anupmathur it was indeed much of the same symptoms. We were a group of 7 + 1 (driver). At Sarchu one guy threw up the whole night drawing a Laxman Rekha around our tent. Another guy could not sleep the whole night with intense headache which continued next day till late evening at Leh. Rest of us experienced mild to quite discomforting headaches. Later on, just before Tanglang La another guy threw up & I was almost on the verge too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
But then how did you go to Pangong Tso Lake
Pangong Lake isn't too far. Maybe 2-3 kms from Pagal Nullah. On hindsight I think I could have taken my OHC in this trip without much of a problem except crossing Pagal Nullah, which as narrated by devoo below, could have been avoided by parking the vehicle before and continuing on bus 11 (on foot)

Quote:
Originally Posted by devoo View Post
Smart thing you did devoo When we started from Leh at 10 AM we were strongly advised to not to start so late & make it early next day instead. Also, we were told that Innova is not the right car to do Pagal Nullah. Fortunate that we were it was a cloudy day (but then we were denied all the glory of the lake without bright & adequate light) so the water level wasn't too high. We eventually pulled the car out of the Nullah by 3:30 PM in the afternoon and crossed the Nullah again at 4:45 PM during return. Also, we were not the only Innova crossing the Nullah. Another Innova crossed it during its return, without any problems.

Last edited by abk : 29th August 2009 at 02:39.
abk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 07:06   #102
BHPian

Pangong restaurant tent owner has a old Gypsy parked on other side. He charged us Rs. 500/- for return trip
devoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 11:29   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Attached is GPS track from Ashram Chowk, New Delhi to Tourist Reception Centre, Leh, via Manali route, in Garmin format.

Note that this may contain some short cuts used by me in my 4x4 GV and some tracks details within Manali may be of my local travel (including Johnsons for delectable meals). The tracks on divided highways may be of the "other" side so do not blindly follow....

The route I followed was from Ambala to Ropar was via Sirhind. There is much better route which takes a right turn just before Toll point on entry in to Punjab (Shambhu Border) and goes to Kharar and from there to Ropar. In any case try avoid going to Ropar via Chandigarh - traffic and speed checks are a pain.

Hope this is useful.
Attached Files
File Type: gdb Delhi_Leh.gdb (320.1 KB, 247 views)
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 15:18   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks AarEmm & harishnayak! I hope to start a new thread on the travelogue tomorrow night.

You are quite right Sha that the mistake was entirely mine. Haven't had much hand crossing such streams. In fact after getting stuck it occurred to me that Innova is a rear wheel drive vehicle However, i would not quite like to think that it was a "normal" stream crossing, at least for me

Silent? Far from it!
So did you start the travelogue? Please paste the link here. Really looking forward for your travelogue.
harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 22:26   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post

The route I followed was from Ambala to Ropar was via Sirhind. There is much better route which takes a right turn just before Toll point on entry in to Punjab (Shambhu Border) and goes to Kharar and from there to Ropar. In any case try avoid going to Ropar via Chandigarh - traffic and speed checks are a pain.

Hope this is useful.
Useful tip on the route via Sirhind. How bad was the road in Ropar?
And thanks for the GPS readings.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote