Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 29th April 2008, 11:45   #1

Default Delhi - Leh road trip - need help/advise

Hey Guys ,

I am planning to ride drive my zen to leh this year . I need help in the setting up the trip .. will appreciated an help / advise about the trip / route esp.. places to stay , car setup , equipment that needs to be carried along , paper work involved ....

i plan to take the Delhi - Manli - Leh route

thanks in advance

Gaurav
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 22:31   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Route plan:
Day 1 Delhi, Ambala, Sirhind. Roopnagar, Anadpur Sahib, Bilaspur, Mandi, Kullu, Manali
This will take you around Chandigarh area which is slow and prone to speed checks. And shorter too.

Day 2 Manali, Rohtand, Keylong. (alternate Jispa/Darcha)
Short trip get acclimatised. Last petrol pump just before Keylong at Tandi. Next petrol pump 400 kms at Leh.

Day 3 Keylong, Darcha, Patseo, Baralacha La, Sarchu, Pand, Lachunlung La, Rumtse, Upshi and Leh.
Longish drive. but doable. If you can then break journey at Sarchu camps. Camps at Pang are at 15000ft height and give altitude problems. This way you can also cover Tso-Kar lake on Day4 before getting to Leh.

Car Setup:
Nothing special but make sure it is in good condition and reliable. Between keylong and Leh no repairs. I have done this route twice in fully laden esteem.

Paper Work:
None for Indians. You will need to register at few police posts enroute.

Stays:
Keylong - HPTDC hotel
Jispa - Jispa Hotel
Darcha / Sarchu / Pang - Dhabha tents (not bad for a night)
Forest/PWD rest house at Keylong and Upshi

Enjoy
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 23:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Log Book of my 2003 Ladakh Trip - this one direct via Manali to Leh, overnight stay at Sarchu, and visits to Khardung la and Pangong Lake. Return via Kargil, Srinagar.
H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS Ladakh, Sep 2003

Log Book of my 2004 Ladakh Trip - this one also including Kinnaur Valley (stay at Recong Peo), Spiti Valley (stay at Kaza), Lahaul Valley (stay at Jispa), Pangong Lake and return via Srinagar.
H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS Ladakh,Oct 2004

A Motorogue of my 2003 trip:
Motoring to Ladakh

Please search the forum, lots of mails on the subject.
PM if you want more details.

Last edited by hvkumar : 29th April 2008 at 23:06.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 23:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Day 2 Manali, Rohtand, Keylong. (alternate Jispa/Darcha)
Short trip get acclimatised. Last petrol pump just before Keylong at Tandi. Next petrol pump 400 kms at Leh.

If you can then break journey at Sarchu camps. Camps at Pang are at 15000ft height and give altitude problems. This way you can also cover Tso-Kar lake on Day4 before getting to Leh.

Paper Work:
None for Indians. You will need to register at few police posts enroute.
Some supplementaries:
Petrol may be available in black at Sarchu and Pang, but unless you have very poor mileage, you should be able to make it to Leh if you refuel at Tandi.

Tents are basic affairs, with inadequate toilet facilities. Sarchu also has some luxury tent camps.

Staying at Sarchu - 4200 mtrs high - can also be a difficult thing because of high alttitude. You can beat this by staying at Jispa and making it from Jispa to Leh in the same day.

Permits required to visit certtain places like Pangong, Tso Moriri Lake. Tso Moriri can be visited only after you obtain permit at Leh, hence visiting it en route Leh from Manali may not be possible.
Old 29th April 2008, 23:36   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

plus, kindly review some older threads on the same. Suspension/underbody protection is what I'd be interested in knowing on this thread - itinerary's been done to death everywhere. you can check on bcmtouring.com for readymade itineraries and guidelines you can blindly follow. but here you have hvk saab's expert car gyan unavailable elsewhere

PS: you can money order/fax details upfront - get your permits faxed back. that ways you can visit tso moriti enroute to leh!

Last edited by phamilyman : 29th April 2008 at 23:44.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 23:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

I am also working out the logistics of a Mid-July/ Mid-August trip from Bangalore to Leh in my Peted Verna CRDI...and yes bcmtouring has a lot of experience....all the best for your trip ....
hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 00:05   #7

Thanks all for your help ... i will keep these things in mind while planning the trip ..

any suggestions about the car setup - its a 98 model done around 96K but well maintained ,,,, i am worried about the ground clearance as the Zen is a little low ....

All the best for u trip hellstar and thanks for your replies sukdev , hv kumar & phamilyman

also any good place in delhi where i can get good petrol cans ...
bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 09:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
PS: you can money order/fax details upfront - get your permits faxed back. that ways you can visit tso moriti enroute to leh!
Tell me more - this is interesting. How does it work?
Old 30th April 2008, 12:03   #9
BHPian

For Rs. 500-800 per person, travel agent sitting Leh takes the fax copied of your identity proof, fills out the permit form and applies for permits on your behalf. Once they have the permits, they fax it back to you.

Illegal practice, but happens.
yogesh sarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 13:12   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh sarkar View Post
For Rs. 500-800 per person, travel agent sitting Leh takes the fax copied of your identity proof, fills out the permit form and applies for permits on your behalf. Once they have the permits, they fax it back to you.

Illegal practice, but happens.
Thanks, Yogesh,
Anyy bad experiences with permit copies at army check posts? Don't they insist on originals?
Any travel agents that you can suggest? Saves a lot of time getting in advance instead of camping out in DC's Office.
Old 30th April 2008, 14:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Copies Ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Thanks, Yogesh,
Anyy bad experiences with permit copies at army check posts? Don't they insist on originals?
Any travel agents that you can suggest? Saves a lot of time getting in advance instead of camping out in DC's Office.
That's what I also thought............

If they insist on originals it would be too bad, your plans would go hay-wire. I don't think in such sensitive sectors they would accept copies..., but if they do, the possibilities expand.

--Ramky
========
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 16:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Thanks, Yogesh,
Havenít personally done it so canít comment on that, however usually one just needs to submit a copy of the permit. I donít think any one has ever asked me for the original copy of the permit, however if they do, it can become a serious issue.

In any case getting the permits once at Leh isn't that bad, in 2005 we got the permits in less than 20 minutes by requesting the DC and clerks there.
yogesh sarkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 19:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh sarkar View Post
Havenít personally done it so canít comment on that, however usually one just needs to submit a copy of the permit. I donít think any one has ever asked me for the original copy of the permit, however if they do, it can become a serious issue.

In any case getting the permits once at Leh isn't that bad, in 2005 we got the permits in less than 20 minutes by requesting the DC and clerks there.
Yes, the DC's office is pretty quick, I have processed the permits directly myself. But they don't work on holidays and you have to plan your arrival such that you reach on a working day to get he permits. In 2004, I had a time delay - took me whole morning, got only byy 100 pm - because the senior officer who is to authorise the permits was late to office!!

While on the topic of permits, a few quick clarifications:

- Heard that no permit is now needed for Khardung la, but is one needed for Nubra Valley/Hunder?

- Pangong Lake requires a permit, but sometimes they con you and say that it includes Marisimik la also, which is not correct. I insisted on a separate permit and got it. Someone I know was ttold that the Pangong permit also covered Marisimik la, but he was not permittted at the CP

- Are civilians now permitted beyond Spangimik (after Lukung, Pangong)?

- Tsomoriri also requires a permit?

- Padum (Zanskar) also requires a permit - issued only at Kargil or also at Leh?

Is the JK Tourism hotel ready at Spangimik (Pangong)?

Because of the Tsomoriri permit problem, this August, I am planning a North-South Drive (Srinagar-Kargil-Leh-Keylong) drive so that I can get my Padum permit at Kargil, and also the Tsomoriri permit at Leh on way out.
Old 30th April 2008, 21:44   #14
Senior - BHPian

Arrow Driving Directions - Ledakh

Hai People,

I've been compiling a driving direction map (for the past 40 days) of Ledakh after going through lots of maps, posts and books for planning trip, this would be useful to those heading to Ledakh.

The distances and heights given by different maps / books are frustrating, differ grately; so I've used approximates. I don't think I am way off-beam, though there could be errors.

I am attaching the pdf herewith, hope it uploads OK.

It's also available at:

Driving Directions to Ladakh - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring.com

Please post / mail your corrections / suggestions; I am sure there would be lots of corrections to be made on this, I'd update as and when I get time.

Hope this would give the perspective to those planning a trip in this region.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
=============

Last edited by ramkya1 : 30th April 2008 at 21:47.
ramkya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 21:50   #15
BHPian

I am a little concerned about the ground clearence of the zen !! One question have you studied (is that a word) taken a real close look of the underbody of your car because at certain sectors there is real need for judging what part of your car can take a hit and what cannot !! There is also a water crossing just after keylong called PAGAL NALLAH which has huge white boulders in it do keep a real open eys for this one what s the cpmpany you having for the trip ?? are they all avid drivers ? they should love driving then and then only you shall be able to make most out of this journey all of you i presume are fit not superfit like jackie chan but atleast the types who can carry their weight around easily !!! Someone among st you must be good at hands down repairing {jugaad} nothin is available after keylong right till 70 kms shot of leh no mecchanic no tyre repairing no spares and all you can fuel up @ tandi and buy jerry cans @ chandni chowk {bhangar wala} cant really help you as mine was arranged by another delhi friend any jerry can good bad new will leak and be sure to have it stacked upight !!! With high altitude rarified air smelling the fumes will be last on your list !! THIS all was not to scare you but to prepare you for what you are thinkin of acheiving and just the attitude you shall carry while driving is DEFENSIVE
m-hawk is offline   Reply With Quote