Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 5th May 2011, 12:42   #61
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Ten Days in Thailand. What to do/see/go?

bandlimited, Prasad's post was from 2009. I suspect he has returned from Bangkok already

I was advised to use the agency linked below to plan my tours.
BANGKOK TOURS

Here are some ideas..
Bangkok
Safari world and Marine Park
Samphran Elephant Ground & Zoo
Dream world - Thailand's baby Disney
Tiger Temple - this is a very early morning tour that is a long day
Grand Palace Emerald Buddha - Sleeping/Reclining Buddha
Joe Louis Puppet show at Suam Luam night market
Siam (Paragon) Ocean World
Madame Tussauds near BTS Siam Station
Give your wife a local cellphone and leave her in Chatachuk market
other shopping places:
Central Childlom
Siam Paragon
MBK/Tokyu
Platinum Fashion Mall
Emporium
Suan Lum night market

If you intend to hit a beach in June try KohSamui. Other beaches get rain in JUne KohSamui gets most of it's rain in September. One thing KohSamui is accessed only by Bangkok Airways terrible (AI is fantastic compared to Bangkokairways) and expensive.

other attractions off the beaten path.
Unforgettable Thailand Holidays: Flight of the Gibbon Adventure Tour
Segway Tour Thailand

Now I'll wait till "His Yetiness" and s0uljah take all my sugesstions apart. They are the real Thailand experts.

Last edited by navin : 5th May 2011 at 12:44.
navin is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 13:13   #62
BHPian

thanks for the suggestions guys.

I was thinking more or less on the same lines .
3 days at a beach(phuket,phi phi etc) and 3 days in BKK (shopping and sight seeing)
How do you get to phuket from BKK airport ?
do they have any high speed rail connection , how long does it take?
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 14:02   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
Indeed, one of the most dramatic skies I have seen in my life.
You are very welcome. Glad I could help (in whatever small way) and very happy that the two of you had a nice time in beautiful beautiful Thailand.
yeti ji please help me plan a week long trip to thai in june.
iam going there with my wife
Old 5th May 2011, 16:17   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
bandlimited, Prasad's post was from 2009. I suspect he has returned from Bangkok already
too much work in office does this

Quote:
ms001
Re: Ten Days in Thailand. What to do/see/go?
thanks for the suggestions guys.

I was thinking more or less on the same lines .
3 days at a beach(phuket,phi phi etc) and 3 days in BKK (shopping and sight seeing)
How do you get to phuket from BKK airport ?
do they have any high speed rail connection , how long does it take?

ms001 : Phuket is an island so you can get a connection from Suvarnabhumi international to Phuket it is about 45 mins journey (sorry I maybe wrong here its been a while now).

By the way if you want to go to a party beach in phuket: go to patong. else either karon / kata any of these will be very good and peaceful.
bandlimitedlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 19:49   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
The trip was so memorable that i decided to get my second tattoo there:

Attachment 23956
amitoj based on your experience can you suggest an itinerary for us
main agenda of the visit for me is the beaches and party scene and wifey want to go some shopping as well
Old 20th July 2011, 12:29   #66
BHPian

Default Trip to Thailand. Few questions!

Here the deal that the 5 of us, one married couple and the guys, have got from for our planned trip to Thailand:
05th Aug: Arrival at Bangkok at 06:20 than proceed for Visa on Arrival and than proceed to Exit C Gate no.10 for transfer to Bangkok Hotel at 08:00am /10:00 am
Rest day at leisure .Hotel Check in Time is at 14:00.

06th Aug:Tiger temple Full day tour:98 usd per pax

Transfer from Bangkok to Kanchanaburi. Visit the war cemetery and Bridge over the River Kwai.
Visit Hellfire Pass, a memorable of World Was II.
Lunch at a local restaurant overlooking the Kwai River.
In the afternoon, we drive to Wat Pa Luangta Bua Yannasampanno Forest Monastery, better known as the Tiger Temple. Since its opening in 1994, the monastery gained a reputation as a wildlife sanctuary and by now a countless number of boar, deer, buffaloes, cows, horses, wild goat and gibbons roam around freely. The first tiger cub arrived to the monastery in February 1999 and more followed soon after. One zone of the existing valley is used as a place where tigers are being led for exercise in the afternoon. Visitors are allowed to walk down this valley and observe the tigers roaming freely and closely and can take photographs of them. Return to Bangkok by van / coach.

07th Augay at leisure and check out and leave for airport in the evening around 04:30pm
07th Aug:Arrival in Phuket at 10:30pm and transfer to Phuket hotel at 11:00pm on Pvt Basis complementary

08th Aug: Full day Phi Phi Island tour
PICK UP TIME: 07.00 ‚ 07.15hrs. : PICK UP DROP OF LOCATION: HOTEL LOBBY
*Phi Phi Island Tour will based on Express Boat*

(Clients are requested to report at the lobby 15 mins prior to pick up time. The maximum waiting time for a van is 15mins after arriving at the hotel)
Maybe a trip to Phuket is not complete without a visit to these two stunningly beautiful P.P. Island: P.P. Don (the larger of the two) and P.P. Lay. P.P. Lay with its only beach, tucked away in amazingly picturesque. Maya Beach was the recent site for the filming of the movie ‚The Beach‚. However, as the government protect then there is no development or accommodation, which makes it a perfect island gateway.
P.P. Don has numerous idyllic tropical beaches lining its southern and eastern shores, with numerous bungalow style hotels. The main tourist center is Ton Sai Bay, a small and bustling village, with a string of bungalows, hotels, shops and restaurant. Despite the many visitors everyday, the natural beauty of the place still remains.
Suggested clothing: Casual wear, slipper, towel, etc for sea trip is necessary. If you have a physical problem or congenital disease, please urgently inform tour guide.
PICK UP TIME: 10.00hrs. : PICK UP DROP OF LOCATION: HOTEL LOBBY
(Clients are requested to report at the lobby 15 mins prior to pick up time. The maximum waiting time for a van is 15mins after arriving at the hotel)
Visiting most beautiful tourist viewpoint in Phuket. Prom Thep Cape - The beautiful peninsular adjacent to the famous Nai Harn Beach. Phuket‚s southern most point, which is the perfect place to view spectacular sunset. The driving passing through the Rawai Beach where is a local Sea Gypsy‚s Village are located, most of people here are fishermen. They are the local people who have their old life style and unique characteristic, which is different from Phuket people in town, and the original tradition of their believes and respects are also different. Visit of Chalong Temple (Wat Chalong), this temple is very famous in its monks since previous times. It is the place where stands the cast statue of Luang Por Cham, who helped the people put down the Ahngyee, or Chinese Coolie Rebellion in 1876 during the reign of King Rama V. There are also other statues of famous monks, which gain the respect from all people of Phuket. Driving to Phuket town for sightseeing around, especially to see the architecture of Sino-Portuguese that in the previous time most of people in Phuket built their houses by mixed the style of Chinese and Portuguese into their house‚s pattern. You will see how beautiful and spectacular architecture of the houses.
Visiting World Gems Gallery, short break stop to take a rest. Moreover, with the world‚s largest showroom where you can find the most extensive collections of world class‚ s jewelry product which is created by the in-house factory. The store also present the multi vision slides genuine natural stones with life time service guaranteed before return to your hotel
Suggested clothing: Casual wear, slipper, towel, etc for sea trip is necessary. If you have a physical problem or congenital disease, please urgently inform tour guide.

Does this deal sound good enough?
Has anyone here been to the Tiger temple? Is it worth it?
Any one can share their hotel experiences in Thailand, particulary those who ere traveling with wife/family. Where did you stay?

Also, has anyone done and deep-sea-diving or snorkeling in Thailand? For Rs. 38000, is it worth it? It includes return fare via KF. Let me know. I have to confirm by Monday.

Safety tips?

Last edited by creative420 : 20th July 2011 at 12:35. Reason: corrections
creative420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 16:43   #67
BHPian

Default Re: Trip to Thailand. Few questions!

Hey, first of all congratulations on your upcoming trip!

I've been to Thailand a few times but mostly to Bangkok and Pattaya.
The country is really nice to spend some time in for families as their whole system is based around tourism.
Hotels there are reasonably good as compared to India and much cheaper. Since this is a prebooked package you can expect them to keep you in family friendly hotels. Do get the names from them and check out the hotels' websites yourself to get an idea. Some resort style ones are awesome and feel even better than Europe.

Expect things to be a bit rushed with this package but thankfully you don't need much time to discover stuff in Thailand as most of the sightseeing involves Temples and Zoos

Thailand is pretty safe as long as you are alert. They usually talk pretty straightforward and are very blunt when asking for money for anything.
Also, they'll take you around gem/garment stores which is quite regular with tourists as they get commission on sales lol.

Why don't you go through this travelogue by SS-Traveler which contains some great insight and general tips on Thailand:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...light=thailand (10 days across Thailand (2009) - and 8 more days (2011))

All the best!

Last edited by goingout : 20th July 2011 at 16:50.
goingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 21:14   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
06th Aug:Tiger temple Full day tour:98 usd per pax
A full day tour of tiger temple conducted by a local tour operator costs about 1200THB including transport, entry fees and lunch. 98 USD = @3000THB is rather too expensive.

You might want to get in touch with an (Indian) lady at Bangkok by the name of Noorie who runs Noorie Travels, and who can give you far more decent rates than you mention here. Her contacts are +66 -81-81-95-778 and noorietravel at gmail dot com.

Quote:
Visiting World Gems Gallery, short break stop to take a rest.
That's a rip-off if you are not knowledgeable about the stuff you're buying. In any case, the tour operator gets fuel coupons for taking you there, and you are under no compulsion to buy. Even if you do decide to buy, bargain very hard - prices can drop by up to 50% from the original quote - we've done it before!

Quote:
Does this deal sound good enough?
Expensive.
Quote:
Has anyone here been to the Tiger temple? Is it worth it?
Totally worth it, esp. when kids are there. It's an experience worth going through once.
Quote:
Any one can share their hotel experiences in Thailand, particulary those who ere traveling with wife/family. Where did you stay?
The hotels we've stayed in at Thailand are described in my travelogue. All reservations were made through agoda.com, though we found that Noorie does give good deals at times (though not necessarily as good as agoda in all cases).
Quote:
Also, has anyone done and deep-sea-diving or snorkeling in Thailand?
Snorkelling is part of the trip that you would be doing from Phuket to the Koh Phi Phi (or, as you describe, PP Islands). Generally, such a full day trip to Koh Phi Phi from either Phuket or Krabi by speedboat costs 1000 THB in the off-season (April-Oct), and upto 1800 THB in peak season (Nov-Mar).
Quote:
For Rs. 38000, is it worth it? It includes return fare via KF.
How many days, and what all does the trip include? IIRC SOTC was offfering a 5-day trip to BKK and Pattaya for 20,000 INR just a few days ago, including return airfare (not sure which airline).
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 13:06   #69
BHPian

Thanks @GoingOut

Just read your blog SS-Traveller. Wonderful. I'll try getting in touch with Noorie and will update.

Quote:
How many days, and what all does the trip include? IIRC SOTC was offfering a 5-day trip to BKK and Pattaya for 20,000 INR just a few days ago, including return airfare (not sure which airline).
4 of my friends are traveling via Air-India from Mumbai and I'm going via Thai Airways. I've seen many Bangalore-Pattaya packages from 15k-25k But Phuket, IMO, is better.

And plus the cost also covers our Bangkok-Phuket-Bangkok flight. Hotels we'll be staying in are...

In Phuket: Baramee Resortel Phuket Thailand - Best discount hotel rates

And in Bangkok: Forum Park Hotel Bangkok Thailand - Best discount hotel rates
Old 25th July 2011, 13:29   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...Phuket, IMO, is better.
Phuket is a commercialized town like Pattaya, but Krabi is more laid back and relaxing. Been to both places, and I liked Krabi better.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 15:18   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Phuket is a commercialized town like Pattaya, but Krabi is more laid back and relaxing. Been to both places, and I liked Krabi better.
Yeah! Looks like that from the pictures. But maybe some other time. Can't do justice to such a place in 5 days that we've got there. I had couple of questions (might have more in the next 10 days :P):

1. What all documents required for acquiring visitors VISA?
2. Forex in India or in Thailand?
3. What all documents required to get a local SIM and recharge?

So yeah! 3 questions for now.
Old 25th July 2011, 16:01   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. What all documents required for acquiring visitors VISA?
  1. Passport valid for at least 6 months
  2. Visa fee 1000 THB in cash
  3. Photocopy of return air ticket valid for departure within 2 weeks
  4. Two passport photos
  5. Visa form (available at counter, need to fill it up)
  6. A local contact address (to be stated on the visa form - your hotel address will do)
  7. 10,000THB per person or 20,000THB per family, or its foreign exchange equivalent (USD, GBP, EUR etc.) in CASH
Quote:
2. Forex in India or in Thailand?
Carry forex in cash from India, INR cannot be exchanged at BKK airport (only place I found they accept INR for exchange into THB is at Pantip Plaza). Carry large bills (100's, 50's) since the exchange rate for smaller denominations is lower. INR-THB exchange rate offered at Indian airports is a lot worse than if you did a INR-USD followed by USD-THB conversion.

Quote:
3. What all documents required to get a local SIM and recharge?
No documents required. Walk into any 7-Eleven store, check out the variety of service providers available, and select one that suits you. Some SIMs offer better rates for international calling to India, and some offer cheaper local rates. Or you can buy an international calling card separately, but punching in a set of 15 numbers to connect, then feeding in another 15 numbers of the code, is pretty frustrating.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 15:36   #73
BHPian

Namaste Doctorsaab. Here is today's question for you:

Any vaccination to be taken?
Old 26th July 2011, 16:03   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Namaste Doctorsaab. Here is today's question for you:

Any vaccination to be taken?
None at all. Thai authorities don't even ask.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2014, 13:28   #75
BHPian

Default Thailand surprise for wedding Anniversary

Greetings ladies and gentlemen,
I need help in planning a surprise Thailand trip for my wife in the first week of November. We are located in Baroda, Gujarat. I know am late but I don't quite like the packaged tours.

This will be our (wife, 1 yr daughter and myself) first time to Thailand. what I am looking at is a bit of Bangkok for the tiger, Orangutan, elephant petting and shopping. But mostly what we would enjoy is the pristine beaches, a bit of snorkeling and whatever watersports that can be afforded with a 1 yr old.

I have read good things about Krabi. How does it compare to Phi Phi and Phuket? Please suggest itineraries. Would ala carta be grossly more expensive than the packaged tours? how do I go about getting the visa? what all should I consider before embarking on this trip?

All help appreciated
Chirayu

Last edited by vroomsome : 5th October 2014 at 13:31.
vroomsome is offline   Reply With Quote