Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 19th July 2014, 14:01   #106

Default re: Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
^^ I guess this was discussed earlier in Bangalore - Ooty route thread couple of months back.
Till I read your post I was thinking the diversion for heavy vehicles is just before the bridge towards the left while coming from Kollegal. I saw a mud road which is used heavily over there.
These height barriers are put for almost 3 months from now, probably sometime in March-April. This is what I got to know from a local guy. Good thing is you don't find many heavy vehicles from Kollegala till this bridge. However, I observed few canters and other mid sized vehicles try hard go get through this bridge.
aravindp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2014, 21:10   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
A quick update on my trip to K. Gudi this past weekend:

* Route taken: Bangalore-Kanakapura-Kollegal-Yelandur-BR Hills-K. Gudi
* Passing through Kanakapura is a breeze now with the wide/divided road running through town
* Road condition is good throughout - took me around 4 hours of sedate driving to cover the 215 km to K. Gudi
* Tried a different route on the way back to bypass Yelandur - as you exit the forest checkpost while coming back from BR Hills, take the first right hardly 50 m from the checkpost. Here is the route map. I loved the route due to zilch traffic and nice vistas - would be a feast for the eyes during/post monsoon, I am sure. Plus, you save about 10 km.
* Sightings included regular mammals - tuskers, Gaurs, etc. Some nice bird sightings including crested serpent eagles, "brainfever" birds, minivets, and a very beautiful paradise flycatcher.
I tried this route yesterday. Loved the route and was glad I could escape mysore road for a change.
bangaloreguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2014, 12:13   #108
BHPian

Hi all,

I would be visiting BR Hills next week with family and friends.
I appreciate any info. I can receive on the two lodges we have zeroed on - Champakaranya and Gorukana. Also any activities that can be done apart from the safari.

Thanks.

Last edited by TheDoctor : 16th September 2014 at 12:14. Reason: Grammer
TheDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2014, 22:34   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
two lodges we have zeroed on - Champakaranya and Gorukana.
Have been to Gorukana before and it's a nice place. The spa wasn't ready when we went, but it should be now. Other than the safari, here's what you could do:
  • View a tribal dance in the evening - Gorukana arranges this
  • Visit the hillock temple
  • Visit the local Soliga settlement
  • Early morning trek/walk
ozzyrules is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 00:13   #110
BHPian

Hi,
what will be the best road for a Honda City
A. Chamrajnagar-Nagavalli-Hondarabalu-K.gudi-BRhills
B. Chamrajnagar-yellandur-Brhills-Kgudi
srinivaspai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 11:28   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivaspai View Post
Hi,
what will be the best road for a Honda City
A. Chamrajnagar-Nagavalli-Hondarabalu-K.gudi-BRhills
B. Chamrajnagar-yellandur-Brhills-Kgudi
If you are driving from Bangalore- no need to go to Chamarajnagar. I did last July- Bangalore-Kanakpura-Malavalli-Kollegela-Yelandur-BR Hills
anupkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 11:51   #112
BHPian

@ anupkma-I am driving from Mysore-Chamrajnagar- BRHills
srinivaspai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 14:12   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupkma View Post
Bangalore-Kanakpura-Malavalli-Kollegela-Yelandur-BR Hills
Please do note that bridge on NH 209 across Kaveri after Malavalli is closed for repairs.
mpksuhas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 15:29   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Please do note that bridge on NH 209 across Kaveri after Malavalli is closed for repairs.
Even for cars and 2-wheelers? A few months ago it was only for trucks and buses.

Prasad
prasad14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2014, 15:33   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasad14 View Post
Even for cars and 2-wheelers?
Yes. It is completely closed now.
There is a discussion on alternative route in another thread, you can check out post by Kala. Post no 7917 (All Roads to Kerala).
mpksuhas is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2014, 21:02   #116

Quote:
Yes. It is completely closed now.
There is a discussion on alternative route in another thread, you can check out post by Kala. Post no 7917 (All Roads to Kerala).
Just got back from a 2 day trip to Biligirirangana Betta. There is a diversion through a local village after Malavalli. Not the smoothest of drives because you need to go through ~5km of mud roads which are deserted/not frequented other than by locals. After exiting this patch of roads, one enters the highway which is presently undergoing reconstuction/widening. This is a rocky drive till T.Narasipura and this stretch almost spans ~10km with the locals drying(?) hay(?/wheat?/ragi?) on the roads. You will also have to face some rash private and government bus drivers. It was a slow crawl that lasted more than an hour. The road is good to say the least after T. Narasipura.

I highly suggest not to go through this patch around or after dark because I do not deem it safe for the vehicle or passengers.

On a sidenote, the excursion to Doddasampige mara(the 600+ years old champaka tree) is prohibited now unless you have permission from the forest department. This was a downer for me.

Regards,
V.
Vikhyath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2015, 09:03   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Got a chance to do this route well past midnight.

The alternative route to Kollegal - Malavalli is Via T Narasipura - Bannur Road and Malavalli.

The road from Kollegal to T Narasipura is manageable. T - Narasipura to Malavalli is around 29 kms out of which a few kms from T Narasipura side is quite nice. Then from good road to no road thing turns up. At quite a few places it is like off roading or exploring the nearby fields

The circle on the right is where the bridge is closed and the one on the left is where it meets the Bannur road.

Bangalore - BR Hills : Route Queries-capture.jpg
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 16:55   #118

Hi everyone,
Can someone guide me on the best route to Gorukana in BR Hills from Bangalore?
Google shows two alternatives but I hear both are bad considering their overlap section (between Bannur and Malavalli) is under maintenance.
Please advice.
RajshreeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2015, 20:21   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajshreeM View Post
Hi everyone,
Can someone guide me on the best route to Gorukana in BR Hills from Bangalore?
Google shows two alternatives but I hear both are bad considering their overlap section (between Bannur and Malavalli) is under maintenance.
Please advice.
Don't use either of the routes suggested by Google Maps. The best way to circumvent the closed bridge on NH209 is https://goo.gl/maps/q9Btn

That map shows the route from Malavalli to Chamarajnagar. Use NH209 for Bangalore-Malavalli. (If you go via NH17, you'll encounter bad roads in the Maddur-Malavalli sector).

And to get to B.R. Hills you could either proceed via Chamarajnagar or take a left turn at Santhamarahalli (about 15 kms before CRNagar) and go via Yelandur. I have no idea which of the two routes (Yelandur-B.R.Hills / C.R.Nagar-B.R.Hills sections only, the rest of the roads are very good) has better roads, but the route via Yelandur may perhaps be a bit shorter.
kala is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2015, 11:23   #120

Quote:
Thanks Kala! I had read your post under 'all roads to Kerala' as directed here by mpksuhas a few messages back, but was still a bit confused if it would be appropriate for me in the current context.
Now it is clear.
I shall take your advice and inform once I am done doing this upcoming road-trip
RajshreeM is offline   Reply With Quote