Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 20th May 2014, 07:44   #76
BHPian

Default re: Bangalore to Kumbakonam : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Yes thats the correct route. Easiest and the best.

Carrying cash is always safer option. I think there should be enough bunks.
Thanks much ampere. Much appreciated !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Some more updates based on my usual timings in this route. I usually take max 6.5 hours including one break for about 45 minutes to 1 hour in my i20.

I'll be traveling to Thirumeeyachur temple next thursday (29th May) evening from KMU, but mostly by train from Bangalore to KMU and then from KMU to Thirumeeyachur by cab hired in KMU. Hope we can meet, if the time sync.

-Ravi
Thanks much for the info Ravi. Would be my pleasure to meet you. Look out for a 7447 serene blue ertiga. My plan is to visit the temple on May 30th, friday morning.
rajwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 07:54   #77
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajwheelz View Post
Thanks much for the info Ravi. Would be my pleasure to meet you. Look out for a 7447 serene blue ertiga. My plan is to visit the temple on May 30th, friday morning.
Check with Ravi too. But I think Kumbakonam-Peralam is just about OK. Its not that great as per what I know. And surely the Peralam-Karaikal road is quite rough, bumpy and broken at many places. It improves only during the later half.

Last edited by ampere : 20th May 2014 at 07:55.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 08:21   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Check with Ravi too. But I think Kumbakonam-Peralam is just about OK. Its not that great as per what I know. And surely the Peralam-Karaikal road is quite rough, bumpy and broken at many places. It improves only during the later half.
Thanks again ampere. Per google maps, from KMU it's 33kms to the temple in thirumeyachur. I will be taking my parents ( both nearing 70yrs ) with me. If i drive slow and steady on this bad patch, would it be fine ? What do you suggest?

Dear Ravi, Any suggestions from your side?
Old 20th May 2014, 08:29   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks again ampere. Per google maps, from KMU it's 33kms to the temple in thirumeyachur. I will be taking my parents ( both nearing 70yrs ) with me. If i drive slow and steady on this bad patch, would it be fine ? What do you suggest?

Dear Ravi, Any suggestions from your side?
It should be fine. That is the standard Kairakal route from KMU. All I meant was dont expect the spic and span roads we are used to seeing in TN. A couple of months I took the Thiruvarur-Peralam-Karaikal road. The Peralam-Karaikal section was quite bumpy. Since its the same KMU-Karaikal road, I just quess the condition may be same. Hence my warning. Please check Ravi to confirm. He is the resident expert!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 14:47   #80
BHPian

The below route is better option to reach to Thirumeyachur. Added advantage is, it will take you straight to Kooothanur Saraswathi amman temple when we go via Nachiyar koil.

KMU-Nachiyar Koil-Poonthottam-Peralam-Thirumeyachur.

The roads are almost traffic free & scenic. When i went last in Dec 2013, Majority of roads ( >90% ) are good and at times there are few pot holes/patches, but not a cause of worry and easily negotiable. This gives stress free driving compared to karaikal road. Karaikal route is very winding and heavy traffic.

My parents are also about same age, but this route should not be a problem. We go frequently in this route. You can't do great speeds (neither in karaikal route) but still a better option IMO. Do a slow & steady drive, as this route goes via multiple villages. Keep honking as needed !

https://maps.google.co.in/maps?saddr...ra=ls&t=m&z=12

PS: Sorry, since i am visiting on thursday, guess we may not be able to meet. Just a miss in a difference of about 15 hours !

-Ravi

Last edited by ravib : 20th May 2014 at 14:56.
ravib is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 21:11   #81
BHPian

Quote:
- This is one of the better options. How was bridge on Cauvery? I presume you went via T Palur?
- Mostly I have read people taking the Anaikarai option
The bridge was fine. This route in my opinion is the best current route.
sriram.raghavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2014, 20:21   #82
BHPian

If I'm in Mayiladuthurai does it make sense to go to Chidambaram and then proceed to Vridhachalam (returning to Bangalore)? Or should I just go via Kumbakonam?

Pondicherry to Mayiladuthurai via Chidambaram was pretty slow. Most of the time was spent behind trucks - of course it was a Saturday afternoon.
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2014, 21:00   #83
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
If I'm in Mayiladuthurai does it make sense to go to Chidambaram and then proceed to Vridhachalam (returning to Bangalore)? Or should I just go via Kumbakonam?
Yes thats the best route I would say.
Chidambaram-Sethiyarthope-Vridhachalam-Ulundurpet-Salem-BLR.

Quote:
Pondicherry to Mayiladuthurai via Chidambaram was pretty slow. Most of the time was spent behind trucks - of course it was a Saturday afternoon.
Yes; the traffic is quite heavy in that section.
Old 1st June 2014, 21:58   #84
BHPian

Quote:

Hi cblazer, as ampere said it is best to avoid Kumbakonam. Had gone to Mayiladuthurai last week and took the route via Chidambaram > Sethaithoppu > Virudhachalam > Veppur> V Koot road (joins the NH at this point)> Salem.

An average speed of 80 km/hr can be easily maintained but beware of a few pot holes that can catcu you off guard between V koot road and Veppur. Otherwise this is one straight deserted stretch of tarmac. Alternatively you could drive via Ulundurpet from Virudachalam which is a little bit longer.
commander is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2014, 11:44   #85
BHPian

Couple of updates on road conditions:

Road conditions are still bad between Jayankondam-T.Palur-Madhanathur Cauvery bridge. But still, this route is better preferred in terms of time & distance from Bangalore.

Hired a cab and completed a trip to Thirumeeyachur from KMU.
The route i earlier mentioned (KMU-Natchiyar Koil-Eravancheri-Poonthottam-Peralam-Thirumeeyachur) still has best roads. Only for about 500 metres or so after Eravancheri/vishnupuram school, the road is bad, but not a big deal to worry about.

Had an amazing darshan of goddess Lalithambika. Even after i have seen this temple so many times, All i would say is, even 1000 eyes are not sufficient to see the sheer beauty of goddess. Those who have visited this temple, will know what i mean. Strongly recommended to those who are on pilgrimage trip around Mayiladuthurai/Thiruvarur/Kumbakonam area.

-Ravi
ravib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 13:07   #86
BHPian

I completed the Mayiladuthurai - Bangalore trip on Monday. Couldn't get a good Sunday night's sleep (thanks to the heat) so we ended up leaving Mayuram only around 7.25 am. We lost about 30 minutes looking at cane furniture on the way. We had sparse traffic till Chidambaram bye-pass. After that we were pretty much in school, office hour traffic.

I wasn't too happy with the roads. Please let me know if this was the correct route. After Bhuvanagiri we asked for directions to Vridhachalam and people directed us towards the right. We ended up going through B. Mutlur, Vadalur, Neyveli. The roads were particularly patchy after Vadalur.

It is only after Veppur that I could reach some decent speeds. On the Salem-Ulundurpet highway the road switches between 4-lane and 2-lane. (This is a toll road) There are warning signs, but one needs to be cautious.

We were stuck at the Attur-Salem, Namakkal-Salem highway intersection for almost 20 minutes. I could cover Salem-Bangalore (my house) in ~3.5 hours. I guess I was eager to reach home before the downpour that followed

Someone please let me know if there is a reasonable priced veg restaurant around Salem. Chenny's, GRT, Park Plaza are all too expensive for a quick highway lunch break.
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2014, 13:37   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I completed the Mayiladuthurai - Bangalore trip on Monday. Couldn't get a good Sunday night's sleep (thanks to the heat) so we ended up leaving Mayuram only around 7.25 am. We lost about 30 minutes looking at cane furniture on the way. We had sparse traffic till Chidambaram bye-pass. After that we were pretty much in school, office hour traffic.

I wasn't too happy with the roads. Please let me know if this was the correct route. After Bhuvanagiri we asked for directions to Vridhachalam and people directed us towards the right. We ended up going through B. Mutlur, Vadalur, Neyveli. The roads were particularly patchy after Vadalur.
Here is the road that you need to take: Route Link
You dont need to go to Neyveli/Vadalur.

Quote:
Someone please let me know if there is a reasonable priced veg restaurant around Salem. Chenny's, GRT, Park Plaza are all too expensive for a quick highway lunch break.
Some one Attur-Salem section. Then at Salem you have Saravana Bhavan at Salem Bus stand. This is close to Cenneys. Beyond Salem, arounf Thoppur you have A2B and Raja Bhojanam.

Last edited by ampere : 4th June 2014 at 13:47.
Old 16th July 2014, 08:26   #88
BHPian

Guys,

Some unfortunate incidents ( two of my uncles passed away ) at home & hence I could never make the trip I planned to KMU.

Thanks Ampere & Ravi for sparing your time to answer my queries.

I guess I might make the KMU trip only in 2015 :-(
Old 16th July 2014, 11:55   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Some unfortunate incidents ( two of my uncles passed away ) at home & hence I could never make the trip I planned to KMU.

Thanks Ampere & Ravi for sparing your time to answer my queries.

I guess I might make the KMU trip only in 2015 :-(
Sorry to hear about the bereavement in family. Hope you can make the trip next year when things settle down. Feel free to contact/PM, if you need any help !

-Ravi
ravib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2014, 14:04   #90
Team-BHP Support

I was back to some map searching. The question was the distance to KMU/Mayavaram is high only because we dont have good roads on the shorter stretch. (TVMalai sector). So the distance when taking the Salem/Attur/Ulundurpet road, ends up at around 450+ and when going via Karur/Trichy/Tanjore, its a good 500km! Hence I was looking for some interior roads via Harur and this stretch; which leads you to Salem-Ulundurpet 4-Lane at Kallakurichi via Sankarapuram.

So the route proposed is:

Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Karimangalam-Morappur-Harur-Thanipadi-Sankarapuram-Kallakurichi - Veppur - Vridhachalam - Sethiyarthope - Chidambaram - Sirkazhi - Mayavaram

The total stretch is 400km; a good 50km lower than the Salem stretch, avoids Salem also. So I am sure we will save time here. The only unknown is Thanipadi-Sankarampuram. I expect Sankarapuram-Kallakurichi stretch to be good. Also note from Kallakurichi, one does not need to drive to Ulundurpet. You can directly drive to the GST 4-lane between Veppur and Ulundurpet. This helps bypass Ulundurpet also.

Route Link

Last edited by ampere : 7th September 2014 at 14:07.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote