Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 18th June 2008, 14:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, I spent one day/night at Naukuchiatal and two days/nigts at Snow View Nainital. yesterday, I drove down from Nainital to Dehradun. the prices I got were the KMVN rates, Rs 990 per night at Snowview (Super delux room double bed, Color TV, Geyser, + a free pass for unlimited trips in the cable car to the mall )

Shankyz, the weather is prety coll. During day time the temperature is around 20-21 degrees in Nainital. At snowview it was 14 at 10 AM last morning. It rained heavily on the 13th and the 14th. On 15th and 16th the rains held up and we were able to spend the whole day in the town.You may try againnow as there may have been some cancellations due to the early monsoon. The rates being charged by the private hhotels are much higher but they fluctuate along wit the weather.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2008, 14:56   #17
Team-BHP Support

Yup, private hotels flip flop quite a bit,
When we went to nainital, we were offered a room for 1400, which is half the price. This room had direct view of the lake and was very tastefully furnished.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 22:46   #18
BHPian

I'm in Nainital for the last two days, the place is jam packed, being last weekend of the season, all good hotels are fully booked, got a 2N/3D Pkg at Arif Castles for 12k after spending almost 1 hour looking for a good hotel.

For anyone planning to visit Nainital, the bridge at Bajpur (On Moradabad - Kaladhongi route) is broken and had to take detour. Don't use this route until the bridge is repaired.

Will write details of the visit after I come back.

I think I will have to follow the Kaladhongi - Bajpur-Kashipur - Moradabad route on my way back, how is this one? Any alternates with good routes/less traffic during daytime?

Last edited by Shankyz : 22nd June 2008 at 22:48.
Shankyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 23:22   #19
Senior - BHPian

You can try Kaladhungi-Ramnagar 30 kms - Kashipur 30 - Jaspur 10 - Moradabad bypass 44.

This is a very good road and you should travel from Kaladhungi to Moradabad in 2 hours. You will reach the Moradabad bypass and you can take it to Delhi instead of going into the city.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2008, 23:48   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
You can try Kaladhungi-Ramnagar 30 kms - Kashipur 30 - Jaspur 10 - Moradabad bypass 44.

This is a very good road and you should travel from Kaladhungi to Moradabad in 2 hours. You will reach the Moradabad bypass and you can take it to Delhi instead of going into the city.
HV, I recently took the route. You don't need to go to Ramnagar.
From 'Moradabad to go Bazpur, and then to Kaladunghi.
The route is 30kms shorter and the road is awesome forest track.
Old 23rd June 2008, 00:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

But tsk, Shankyz says tthe bridge is broken on the Bazpur route.
Old 23rd June 2008, 00:29   #22
Team-BHP Support

I don't remember any small bridge on that route. Just one big Tolled bridge.
When did that break!?
Old 23rd June 2008, 03:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Also, if you're going the Moradabad - Rampur - Rudrapur (aka Udham Singh Nagar) - Haldwani - Nainital route, the roads are in bad shape between Rudrapur & Rampur, be careful & also be careful of landslides after Kathgodam. A family perished in an accident last week where a large stone fell on top of their WagonR & crushed it.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 06:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I don't remember any small bridge on that route. Just one big Tolled bridge.
When did that break!?
I took that route while coming from Delhi, but 10-15 kms from Tandla, the bridge is broken, I didn't see any toll bridge on this route upto the point I travelled, had to turn back and went back to Tandla from where I took a village road and came via Suar, Munshiganj (A small village) and joined the same road (Moradabad - Bazpur) at someplace after the broken bridge.

The route is awesome and I guess after the bridge is repaired, should be the best route for Delhi - Nainital.

@tsk room @1400/- with a lakeview and 50% discount , must be the off season when the hotels are desperate, this weekend, all good hotels are jam packed, even 3* ones like Manu, Sherwani hilltop, Arif Castles, Balrampur House, Earl Courts with room rates like 7000/- per day are running full

Ishaan, Thanks for the tip, I intend to follow the Bazpur route and use the one suggested by hvkumar via kashipur, jaspur etc. can you PM me your cell, just in case I need some more help with the route?

Thanks @hvkumar, Ishaan, Tanveer :-)

Last edited by Shankyz : 23rd June 2008 at 07:00.
Shankyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2008, 21:56   #25
Senior - BHPian

Shankyz, I drove from nainital to Kaladunghi, Bazpur, Kashipur, jaspur but istead of going towards Moradabad, I proceeded towards Dhehradun. This is is good road without too much traffic.

Iraghava, I drove down from Rampur to Nainital via, Rudrapur and Haldwani.Te roads were excellent till 14th June. However, just after Rampur, there is a narrow dam where only one vehicle can pass at a time. Since I started late from Rampur ( 1.00 P.M) there was a massive jam( pretty frequent as per the locals) and it took me over 3 hours to cover a 4 km stretch. After the dam the road wass smooth and traffic sparse. A good drive thru the woods.

Moradabad to Ram pur was also a pain due to heavy traffic( Ganga Dussehra) and a large number of fly overs that are under construction. The monsoons further turn these stretches into muck pits.
Old 25th June 2008, 22:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Dada Shankyz, I believe that you did not go thru my post in Noida- Nainital best route thread dated 14 th June. I had said that the bridge was down. Anyways are you back?
Old 25th June 2008, 22:11   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Shankyz, I drove from nainital to Kaladunghi, Bazpur, Kashipur, jaspur but istead of going towards Moradabad, I proceeded towards Dhehradun. This is is good road without too much traffic.

Very useful feedback - Thanks, Rajneesh.

A little info - how long did you take to drive from Jaspur to Dehra Dun? What sort of route is it - forests, good facilities, traffic scene?
Old 26th June 2008, 00:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Iraghava, I drove down from Rampur to Nainital via, Rudrapur and Haldwani.Te roads were excellent till 14th June.
My info is based on my journey done last Saturday/Sunday.

Quote:
However, just after Rampur, there is a narrow dam where only one vehicle can pass at a time.
Nope, not just after Rampur, this place is on the outskirts of Bilaspur 25kms after Rampur. It's a single lane bridge & there is usually always a jam there. A second lane is being constructed but is still a few months away.

Quote:
Moradabad to Rampur was also a pain due to heavy traffic( Ganga Dussehra) and a large number of fly overs that are under construction. The monsoons further turn these stretches into muck pits.
Nope, that's Gajraula to Moradabad, not Moradabad to Rampur. The flyovers/bad roads is due to 4-laning work going on in that stretch.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2008, 00:44   #29
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Very useful feedback - Thanks, Rajneesh.

A little info - how long did you take to drive from Jaspur to Dehra Dun? What sort of route is it - forests, good facilities, traffic scene?
Kumar,

Here is a pic from Delhi to DehraDun .This place is called Mohand.

Name:  mohand.jpg
Views: 7719
Size:  71.7 KB

The Rajaji National park is on both sides of the road.
maxj2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2008, 17:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

HV, it took me 8 hours to cover the 290 Km from Nainital to Dehradun. This included a 45 min break for food, one 15 min stop for tea, 15 mins for refuelling and a 15 min to clean up after my son had vomitted in the car.

It took me 2 hours to reach Kaladunghi from Nainital. kaladunghi has a KMVN tourist guest house and some botanical garden as well. Jaspur to Dehradun took approx 4 hours . The route was pretty good with sparse traffic except when passing thru the towns. It is best to maintain speeds of 80- 100 km on these roads as they are not fenced . As far as facilities are concerned there are fuel pumps at regular distances. There are some dhabas as well but nothing to stop for before Haridwar. The stretch between Nagina and Haridwar has just one fuel pump. Fuel is marginally cheaper in Uttarkhand compared to UP. You can pick up fruits, mineral water and other snacks like wafers and biscuits as there are a large number of small shops in Nagina, Afzalgarh, Najibabad

You enter Uttarkhand approximately 30 km short of Hardwar and the route is thru a forested area .After Haridwar the traffic picks up and one passes thru Nepali Farm and Lacchiwala ( a good picnic spot) before hitting Dehradun.

If travelling with faimily,you can stop at Midway Resorts just after Haridwar The food is ok but the service takes a long time and prices are a bit on the higher side. It has reasonably ok toilets for ladies and gents . In case you want a hotel, there is a Ginger Hotel in Hardwar.