| || ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|7th June 2008, 18:51||#1|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Mar 2007
Thanked: 281 Times
Mahabaleshwar Day Trip
Can someone tell me route to take from Pariwar Chowk, Pune to Mahabaleshwar & back.
How many kms? How much time?
What are the things to see in Mahabaleshware - planning only for a day trip?
|7th June 2008, 19:36||#2|
Join Date: Aug 2007
Thanked: 0 Times
1. Get on to Mumbai Bangalore highway (Via Baner to Chandinichowk).
2. Please take the new Katraj tunnel towards Satara.
3. You need to take a right turn at Wai from the Bangalore highway. (This turning is about 20 Kms from Satara)
4. Go on this road this leads to Panchgani and to Mahabaleshwar.
Important things to see are
1. Pratapgarh Fort
2. Krishna, Koyana rivers birth place
3. Table land
4. There are many points
5. Mapro factory/outlet
|7th June 2008, 20:47||#3|
Join Date: Feb 2007
Thanked: 18 Times
I did hyderabad Mahabaleshwar trip in April.. Went via a different route but returned via Pune.. Since I dont live in pune so can't tell you the way from Pariwar chowk.. but pune mahabaleshwar route is a 4 laned National Highway, around 150 kms.. thoroughly enjoyable route and can be done in 2 hrs.. 1 day wouldn't do justice to the place.. keep atleast 2 days for sight seeing.. 1 day for mahabaleshwar and 1 day for Panchagani.. Both are just 25 km apart.. If you are going there for the first time then I would suggest you to park your car somewhere in mahabaleshwar and hire a taxi for sightseeing, this will save your time asking for directions and finding parking place while moving around.. they have packaged tours so no need for haggling over the prices, no one will charge you even a penny extra.. these packages range from 2 hours to 1 day and starting from 350 bucks.. every taxi driver carries the brochure.. you simply have to choose.. in 1 day you can manage two 3hour trips one before and one after the lunch.. on a tight schedule you can manage 3.. We did 2 tours in mahabaleshwar but had to spare Pratapgarh fort and Panchgani altogether as we had only 1 day for sightseeing.. I dont remember the names but there is a temple of religous importance and rest are tourist view points with fancy names and history behind them.. But few things are common through out- superb weather, pure air and strawberries..
|8th June 2008, 11:57||#4|
Join Date: Sep 2007
Thanked: 33 Times
|27th June 2008, 10:17||#5|
Join Date: Jun 2007
Thanked: 10 Times
|27th June 2008, 11:23||#6|
Join Date: Jan 2008
Thanked: 7 Times
Carboy, here you go...
From Parihar Chowk, go to Chandani Chowk, Join NH4 towards Katraj, via new Katraj tunnel to the first toll plaza (pay around 50 bucks). Next toll plaza is just before Khambatki Ghat (pay around 15 bucks). Khambatki ghat is one way ghat. After ghat around 10-15 kms you need to take right turn off NH4. This turn is called as "surur Phata". It goes towards Wai. Keep on the main road and as you pass Wai, you will start climbing "Pasarni" ghat - around 11 kms to Panchgani. Pass Panchgani and drive 20 kms to Mahabaleshwar. You will have to pay entry taxes at Panchgani and Mahabaleshwar entry points.
The entire route is scenic. It will be definitely very green now.
What to see:
1. Various points, most famous and should not be missed are - Aurther's seat point, Cannaught Peak, Lodwick and Elephant head point, Bombay (sunset) point, Kate's point. Enroute to these points you will pass through many small vistas (points). You need to be careful as monsoon has set it, and some points do become slippery. Watch out of moist/wet red soil especially at Kate's point.
2. Pratapgarh - You must go there (atleast for the drive)
3. If you enjoy boating, you should spend some time at Venna lake. You get boats on hire on hour basis. However, check if they are renting them out during the rainy season.
4. If you like shopping, there's a market place (one main street). Ladies love this place.
5. Since you are going only for a day, not sure if you would have time to go to Tapola ( Koyna Dam backwaters). Its around 20 Kms (all Ghats) from mahabaleshwar.
1. Lots of eateries on way from Panchgani to Mahabaleshwar. Also, in the marketplace. However, these places tend to get closed in Monsoon. But, you will still find few definitely open.
2. On your way back (before reaching panchgani) or on your way from Panchgani to Mahabaleshwar in the morning (after panchgani) you must stop at Mapro Gardens and have food (Pizzas, Shakes, Sandwiches,Soups, Icecreams). This is a must stop. Excellent food.
Keep in mind:
1. Roads in Mahabaleshwar are narrow. So drive slowly.
2. During Monsoon, Mahabaleshwar is covered with dense fog. Again drive slowly and carefully.
3. Prepare to get wet!!!
4. It takes 2-2:30 hours from Pune to reach Mahabaleshwar and its around 120Kms from Aundh.
5. Carry water and snacks just in case you want to take breaks in various ghats and enjoy the scenary.
6. Do not venture in to any waterfalls (especially when you are on your way to Pratapgarh). During rainy season, they are extremely dangerous as water levels and force increases rapidly depending on the amount of rain in Mahabaleshwar. This comes based on my own personal experience.
Most of the road is good and you should be able to enjoy excellent drive.
Havefun, takecare, drive safely
Indica DLS, 87K, 17kmpl, Pune
|27th June 2008, 16:06||#8|
Join Date: Jan 2008
Thanked: 7 Times
Thanks! You can always PM me for more information. I have been visiting this awesome place in Monsoon for last 15 years, most of the times on bike. Idea is to get wet and enjoy rains. take my word, its feels like heaven when eating fresh strawberry icecream when you are completely drenched in rains! Its usually a overnight visit on the weekend. Believe me, each time, its a different Mahabaleshwar.
Ideally, you need to have 2 days ( a weekend ) to enjoy this place.
Indica DLS, 87K, 17kmpl, Pune.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Hyderabad - Mahabaleshwar - Hyderabad : Route Queries||himakar||Route / Travel Queries||38||4th July 2017 15:28|
|Road Trip Mumbai to Mahabaleshwar||dreamz_mak||Motorbikes||11||13th January 2015 15:28|
|Need Help for my trip to Mahabaleshwar from Hyderabad||joshuakeys||Route / Travel Queries||43||22nd October 2012 15:40|
|Chasing the fog and the waterfalls - A weekend trip to Mahabaleshwar and Tapola||SDP||Travelogues||33||21st August 2012 09:33|
|Trip to Mahabaleshwar||ImranShahnawaz||Route / Travel Queries||8||18th January 2008 18:46|