Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Old 9th June 2008, 11:43   #1
Default Pune - Varanasi

I might have to do a road trip towards this month end to reach my native place for some urgent work. I had booked rail tickets earlier, but have to reschedule and now train tickets are not available on this route. A flight is a good option, but I want to take a chance taking my car.

I know of one route that goes via Nagpur-Jabalpur-Katni-Varanasi.

Are there other routes one knows of? It would take two days of driving with a night stop somewhere.
wanderlustindia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 13:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

Try Mumbai > Dhule > Shivpuri > Jhansi > Kanpur > Fatehpur > Allahbad > Varanasi OR Shivpuri > Jhansi > Maheba > Banda > aaaaallahabad > Varanasi. I prefer the 1st option.
Its a slightly longer route but safer and is used by most as an alternate delhi route till shivpuri. good number of pitstops and facilities all along. Some traffice between Kanpur - Varanasi as its the main highway to Kolkata(NH-2). Besides the roads between amravati & nagpur seem to be in bad shape so you will lose time there(there is one more thread running on puna-nagpur info alongside yours- chek that). Also the roads from Jabalpur -Satna are supposedly not well maintained and there is not much highway help as in repairs pitstop etc(hearsay from my buddies)

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 9th June 2008 at 13:50.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2008, 16:26   #3
Senior - BHPian

Although Route 1 sounds good, I have heard of some bad road sections in the Jhansi-Kajuraho section. The Nagpur route has bad sections in Amaravathi-Nagpur stretch, but NH7 is in good condition. If you take Route 1, Indore should be a good place to halt. You can also go via Bhopal to Jabalpur and proceed on NH7 from there on. If you go via Nagpur, Nagpur could be a good place to halt on Day 1.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote